Bedknobs & Broomsticks on Blu-ray 8/12!!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Bedknobs & Broomsticks on Blu-ray 8/12!!

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

And I promise, not an April Fool's Joke! ;)

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=241200
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Re: Bedknobs & Broomsticks on Blu-ray 8/12!!

Post by disneyfella »

According to Disney's publicity, the Blu Ray is the 140 minute cut of the film. No word on bonus features yet.
"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible"
- Walt Disney

Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

disneyfella wrote:According to Disney's publicity, the Blu Ray is the 140 minute cut of the film. No word on bonus features yet.
Sweet, now I can hear "mango wuzzle" in lossless DTS-HD Master Audio. ;)

I guess we won't get a branching option between the long version and the 117-minute theatrical cut. Still, if one version had to be presented, I'm glad it's the more complete one, even if the ADR dubbing is noticeable.

At this point, I doubt we'll get any good supplements beyond the truncated ones that they presented on the 2009 DVD, but I certainly wouldn't mind if Disney surprised us and included the 2008 The Age of Believing documentary that aired on Turner Classic Movies. Some folks at HTF were wishful-thinking that, too.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
MichaeLeah
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MichaeLeah »

I noticed Amazon listed the film as 117 minutes in length. I'm not sure where they got their information from. It will be interesting to see what happens.
My avatar is from Tony's Town Square Restaurant. What else would we do over a plate of spaghetti with meatballs?
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

disneyfella wrote:According to Disney's publicity, the Blu Ray is the 140 minute cut of the film. No word on bonus features yet.
Don't get your hopes up... it's probably the same repackaged version of the latest DVD edition... Disney hasn't exactly been too keen on giving us quality DVD/Blu Ray editions lately. They tend to repackage the latest cuts and resorations along with the same bonus features. All to cut costs. In spite of it being the 50th Anniversary Edition, the "Mary Poppins" Blu-ray is essentially an identical copy of the 40th Anniversary Edition, with only a few minor additions in the bonus features and some omissions. Same thing for the recent "Pete's Dragon" Blu-ray. I think this will be the same.
Fflewduur
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Fflewduur »

Angeldude98 wrote:
Don't get your hopes up... it's probably the same repackaged version of the latest DVD edition... Disney hasn't exactly been too keen on giving us quality DVD/Blu Ray editions lately. They tend to repackage the latest cuts and resorations along with the same bonus features. All to cut costs. In spite of it being the 50th Anniversary Edition, the "Mary Poppins" Blu-ray is essentially an identical copy of the 40th Anniversary Edition, with only a few minor additions in the bonus features and some omissions. Same thing for the recent "Pete's Dragon" Blu-ray. I think this will be the same.
As Albert pointed out not long ago, the Poppins 50th AE has actually got the bulk of the bonus content from the 40th and 45th anniversary releases, which makes for an extensive selection; it also features a new restoration & transfer and a new 7.1 mix in lossless audio. There are releases with picking on, but the Poppins 50th AE ain't one of 'em.
Fflewduur
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Fflewduur »

Pre-order is finally live on Amazon.com.

Edit: Aaaaaand now it's gone, redirecting to the previously-released DVD. Nice work, Amazon. Perhaps they're waiting for detailing? The Amazon.ca listing hasn't gone down...

Edit: And now it's back again. I'm getting dizzy.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

So I was on the Walmart website:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/36931810

Bonus features include deleted and extended scenes and the runtime on the film is 117 minutes.

So the million dollar question is will this at the end of the day be the theatrical version with the scenes from the extended version as bonus features or will it really be the extended version with newly discovered material? :/
BwayJ
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BwayJ »

The running time now says 140 minutes, but the bonus features remain the same. Unless they found something to go with the "Step in the Right Direction" reconstruction, I don't know why "Deleted and Extended Scenes" is plural.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I always loved the song A Step in the Right Direction. I hope they'll find the film of it someday. Glad it's on the CD ST.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Ok folks, someone got the Blu early and it's official; The Blu-ray is the 117 minute theatrical version (the DVD copy in the set is too).

The good news however, is that the deleted footage restored for the extended cut and presented only as an extra now in this release is in HD!

Unfortunately, A Step In The Right Direction is the same (no footage found):

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=241200&page=6
mvd24
Limited Issue

Post by mvd24 »

This source also claims that they've digitally removed wires in certain scenes.

As I don't really like tampering with classic films, I am not amused.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:Ok folks, someone got the Blu early and it's official; The Blu-ray is the 117 minute theatrical version (the DVD copy in the set is too).

The good news however, is that the deleted footage restored for the extended cut and presented only as an extra now in this release is in HD!

Unfortunately, A Step In The Right Direction is the same (no footage found):

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=241200&page=6

I mean, really?! Why can't we have the extended release in full as an option?! :(
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

I'm actually glad to have the theatrical cut as I felt that the 140 version was just too long. Those dance scenes just drag on and slow the film down. They are better off in a separate section, in my opinion. Although, they should have an extended cut available through as well for those who want it.

As far as digital wire removal goes, again I think that's great. I never have any problems with things like that since they weren't supposed to be seen to begin with. It's always a bit of a let down for me when I see those things show up in a movie, it takes you out of the story. Especially on these HDTVs, those wires are going to stick out badly. If you can subtly fix things like that, why not? This will be a must buy for me.
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

I can't believe nobody mentioned this yet, but I also noticed that for the Blu-Ray of Muppet Treasure Island, Disney removed Rizzo's arm rods in a few shots.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Okay, I got the blu-ray last night and decided to watch a bit of the digital copy. And honestly, it feels a little jarring to hear it going from Charlie saying Miss Price's song was a "lovely sentiment" right to her instructing Paul how to use the bedknob.

I guess because I was so used to the extended cut. :(
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Joshua Clinard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Joshua Clinard »

If you activate the vudu version of the Digital Copy Plus, you will get the 140 min version of the film, then you will have both! You can also activate the iTunes portion after you get the vudu copy.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Interesting video YouTube recommended to me:
10 Things You Didn't Know About Bedknobs and Broomsticks
https://youtu.be/GX28nmKkvgs
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Thanks for sharing, blackcauldron85! Yes, it's an interesting video. There were several things I didn't know.

Regarding Julie Andrews as Eglantine, though I'm sure she would've given a great performance, I'm glad she didn't do it because it would have made the film even more similar to Mary Poppins.