Tangled vs. Frozen

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.

Which movie do you prefer?

Tangled
36%
Frozen
51%
I like both equally
9%
I dislike both equally
4%

Total votes: 78

Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Tangled vs. Frozen

Post by Disney's Divinity »

To me, Elsa is almost the furthest from selfish a character could be. This is a character who spends the entire film up until "Let It Go" trying to make life happy for everybody else. Even "Let It Go," while it allows her to be free (she believes), it also keeps Anna and others safe because she is no longer around them. The fact that she didn't know the rest of the kingdom was frozen is the main point of "For the First Time in Forever (Reprise)," and this is also when she realizes that her hope of isolating herself on the mountain to kill two birds with one stone (she's free/Anna and Arendelle are safe) isn't going to work.

I don't find the racing between the ice castle and Arendelle in Frozen any different than the racing between the kingdom and Rapunzel's tower in Tangled, which itself is just a repeat of the racing between the swamp and the town in TP&TF. It's all the same formula, and I think the only one that didn't work was TP&TF just because of too much padding. The only unnecessary scene in Frozen is perhaps Olaf, but he does symbolize Anna and Elsa's relationship, so I don't think it hinders the story at all. He definitely has more purpose than the "I've Got a Dream" scene, at the very least.

But I also don't think Belle had Stockholm syndrome, so... On two completely different wavelengths. Beast and Elsa are similar in that they are complex, but, unlike her, Beast is truly a villain at the beginning of B&tB.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Disney's Divinity wrote:To me, Elsa is almost the furthest from selfish a character could be. This is a character who spends the entire film up until "Let It Go" trying to make life happy for everybody else. Even "Let It Go," while it allows her to be free (she believes), it also keeps Anna and others safe because she is no longer around them. The fact that she didn't know the rest of the kingdom was frozen is the main point of "For the First Time in Forever (Reprise)," and this is also when she realizes that her hope of isolating herself on the mountain to kill two birds with one stone (she's free/Anna and Arendelle are safe) isn't going to work.

I don't find the racing between the ice castle and Arendelle in Frozen any different than the racing between the kingdom and Rapunzel's tower in Tangled, which itself is just a repeat of the racing between the swamp and the town in TP&TF. It's all the same formula, and I think the only one that didn't work was TP&TF just because of too much padding. The only unnecessary scene in Frozen is perhaps Olaf, but he does symbolize Anna and Elsa's relationship, so I don't think it hinders the story at all. He definitely has more purpose than the "I've Got a Dream" scene, at the very least.

But I also don't think Belle had Stockholm syndrome, so... On two completely different wavelengths. Beast and Elsa are similar in that they are complex, but, unlike her, Beast is truly a villain at the beginning of B&tB.
Thank you Divinity, when will fans get the stupid idea of Belle having Stockholm syndrome out of their heads? :x

Linda Woolverton never wanted Belle to have that when she wrote the animation screenplay and neither the story team...

TPATF's pacing sure was filled with padding, so..much..padding...
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

Disney's Divinity wrote: I do wish there had been more music throughout the film, but I think the beginning is amazing because of the music. The music is actually relevant to the story again, whereas Tangled feels like it begrudges its musical moments.

Yeah but it's not spread out enough imo, there's too many gaps, like they forgot to sing, like they forgot it was a musical. The songs end so randomly with the Troll song, there's no Kristoff/ Anna duet, not even a final song between the two sisters.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

+
Last edited by thedisneyspirit on Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

The film is so half-baked and it's marvellous to see more people noticing it.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

LOL, nothing gives me more pleasure right now than seeing just how butthurt Tangled fans are. Come on, guys, tell us how you really feel.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

There are just a lot of things that don't make much sense. Like, Elsa has magic powers that she has to learn how to deal with and how to control them. So what's their parents idea of teaching her to deal with them? Lock her up from the outside world and never let her come in contact with others. Seems very counter-productive to me. How are you going to learn to deal with something when you never get into situations where you can actually practise it? I also found the idea of Elsa and Anna living in the same castle but never running into each other for years to be very far-fetched. The idea that Anna waits for Elsa's door practically everyday and talks to her... it all seems a bit unbelieveable.

I'm not saying it's a bad film. It's far better than any other CGI-film Disney has done except Tangled (though I haven't seen Wreck It Ralph yet), and better than recent Pixar projects; also much better than most post-Tarzan animated features. But the best animated film of all time? Far from it. Not even the best since Lion King, which I have read a lot. (And even TLK is vastly overrated.)
Musical Master wrote:3. It's the 19th century, everyone trusts someone who looks trustworthy.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Goliath wrote:There are just a lot of things that don't make much sense. Like, Elsa has magic powers that she has to learn how to deal with and how to control them. So what's their parents idea of teaching her to deal with them? Lock her up from the outside world and never let her come in contact with others. Seems very counter-productive to me. How are you going to learn to deal with something when you never get into situations where you can actually practise it?

That was a major point of the story though; children in real life are often taught to repress and hide their emotions in order to "be good" rather than being taught how to sort out their emotions and react to them properly. And I think that's why so many are relating to Elsa right now, because her ordeal can be a metaphor for so many different issues many of us have.

Even if she's not developed any further than trying to deal with her fear, that kind of fear is enormous and all-consuming for some. "Let it Go" has resonated with many since it's all about the joy of finding the freedom of self-acceptance. Her parents were at a loss to offer that for her, due to their own fears and misunderstandings of her abilities. It's easier to deny something than find a way to work with it.

Just my opinion though. ;) I might be biased due to the way I relate to her because of some personal issues I've faced myself. Let's just say that severe anxieties like hers can be downright crippling.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

thedisneyspirit wrote:I somewhat agree with Goliath, the more I see Elsa the more I think she's not that much a "complex" character. The only thing we see her worry about is her powers/hurting Anna, and that's it. She's almost always worried or scared, and everything regarding her relates to her magic.
She does act that way a lot, but the whole movie is about how her powers, and she's afraid of them, so... We do see other sides of her in the film, but they are not required for the plot, so they aren't always there. It's like complaining that we see Ariel in love more than her other emotions in TLM, when her love is the catalyst for the whole movie.
Then again, maybe I'm getting turned off by her extreme popularity, so... :lol:
I'm not surprised considering your eternal hatred of all things princesses.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Mooky wrote:LOL, nothing gives me more pleasure right now than seeing just how butthurt Tangled fans are. Come on, guys, tell us how you really feel.

The Tangled fandom has been butthurt since about Jan now.

I do agree that Frozen feels half- baked though.

Then again, everybody loves raw cookie.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

As long as Tangled's intro and climax exist, along with Gothel's ill-defined characterization, I don't think anyone has the right to call Frozen's plot half-baked.

Enigmawing (sorry, it will take some time to get used to the new moniker :)), thanks for putting that in words.
Thoix

Post by Thoix »

After reading this thread, I feel like one of the only few who loves but movies and doesn't care which one is better. IMO, they're both 10/10 movies for what they are, and both of them have flimsily motivations for their villains. :P
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Elsa is a complex character. She desires to be happy and have fun with her sister but can't because she's afraid she'll hurt her so she keeps herself away from her. She then leaves an entire kingdom because she thinks they will either try to jail her or kill her to stop her powers and because she thinks she will hurt the entire kingdom. By the way she didn't know she put the entire kingdom in a freeze because we later see it is a surprise to her when Anna tells her. But she doesn't just have fear, she later learns to accept herself and be independent and love it, and find true happiness with it. She finally has even truer happiness when she learns love is all she needed to feel to control her powers.
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

Tangled fans were quite foolish to act like Frozen was a ripoff of their beloved film because if they are so similar, obviously the infinitely more popular and higher quality version will get more attention from Disney.

Face it Tangled fans, that piece of shit film you love will be forever forgotten outside of princess merchandise and a themed restroom at Disney World. Meanwhile Frozen has made over $1 billion and counting, it won two Oscars, the soundtrack has been topping the charts for weeks with many of the songs being widely beloved and popular while most people can't even name one Tangled song, and there's talk of a sequel, Broadway show, Disneyland ride, and more. Frozen is a groundbreaking cultural phenomenon Disney hasn't seen since the early 90s. Frozen changed the game in animation and you can bet your ass more studios will be making musicals again to try to replicate its popularity. Meanwhile Tangled was a nice film some people took their kids to but won't really remember after a few years since it wasn't really anything new or interesting. Even Wreck It Ralph is getting a sequel now so that will be more iconic than anything from Tangled.

And anyone who thinks Tangled is superior as a film itself is either in denial or has some seriously pedestrian taste.

You Tangled fans have been treating people like shit for years and acting superior and arrogant because you thought Tangled was the hot new thing that put Disney back on the map. LOL not even close. Your moment in the sun is over. It's time to face the music. LET IT GO!!!!!
LADY Image CLUCK
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Lady Cluck wrote: Face it Tangled fans, that piece of shit film you love will be forever forgotten outside of princess merchandise and a themed restroom at Disney World.
Whoa
Lady Cluck wrote: Meanwhile Tangled was a nice film some people took their kids to but won't really remember after a few years since it wasn't really anything new or interesting
Whoa

Lady Cluck wrote: And anyone who thinks Tangled is superior as a film itself is either in denial or has some seriously pedestrian taste.
Whoa

Lady Cluck wrote: You Tangled fans have been treating people like shit for years and acting superior and arrogant because you thought Tangled was the hot new thing that put Disney back on the map. LOL not even close.

There's no need for this kind of attitude, all this does is make people angry and upset.

Please get some proper sleep Lady Cluck or don't be so rude towards those who like or prefer Tangled over Frozen.

And thanks for making Frozen fans look like a bunch of assfaces that sees Tangled as a movie that's below them like some kind of a snob. :roll:
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

They reap what they sow. Like I said, they've been the arrogant ones for YEARS. That's why they're so defensive now.

If they had faith in their favorite film, they wouldn't care to defend it so much and exaggerate the flaws of Frozen like a broken record. They're just pressed and hurt by the fact that they've been knocked off their pedestal.

I personally feel the merits of Frozen over Tangled are crystal clear and go without saying, and I don't understand the need to compare them so much anyway. Tangled fans did this CONSTANTLY to TPATF for no reason, and they deserve a kick in the pants themselves!
LADY Image CLUCK
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Lady Cluck wrote:
If they had faith in their favorite film, they wouldn't care to defend it so much and exaggerate the flaws of Frozen like a broken record. They're just pressed and hurt by the fact that they've been knocked off their pedestal.
I do see this alot, but there's no need to be so callous towards them, just take it and leave, sometimes they have a point ? Like Frozen isn't a perfect movie and it does have some huge flaws.

I have smelled the massive butthurt since about Jan though, and them trying to try squeeze in Tangled because of the cameo has been super-annoying, but there's no need for attack them rudely, just take it and leave if you disagree, or agree with them, if you do, like a adult.
Lady Cluck wrote: Tangled fans did this CONSTANTLY to TPATF for no reason, and they deserve a kick in the pants themselves!
Never saw this, but alrights.

WE should be super-super-super happy that Frozen, Tangled and Ralph have done so well, we shouldn't be attacking each other.

Come on guys, we have been wishing for this since 2005 ? We finally get it back, and then we tear each other apart like lions.

stop it.
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

Everywhere I turned it was "Wow this was so much better than the disappointing TPATF!" "Wow Disney is back! I was really worried after TPATF turned out to be so shitty!" "Wow everything in TPATF sucked but Tangled is where it's at!" "LOL AT THE PRINCESS AND THE FLOP. YAY TANGLED" etc

It was beyond annoying and unnecessarily rude to the yes smaller but also loyal and mature fanbase of TPATF. And that's not even getting in to the borderline racist remarks they made...

I enjoyed Tangled when I first saw it, in fact I love most Disney movies, but I don't think I can watch Tangled ever again after all the abuse I've endured from its obnoxious fandom. Of course they're trying to tear down the next princess film when there's absolutely no need to do so, and they're even more rabid this time because of Frozen's immense popularity and success. Disgusting and shameful.
LADY Image CLUCK
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Mooky wrote:As long as Tangled's intro and climax exist, along with Gothel's ill-defined characterization, I don't think anyone has the right to call Frozen's plot half-baked.
I don't see anything wrong with Tangled's intro and climax? The intro may not be to your liking due to its tone (some have said Flynn's voice-over was too light-hearted or too juvenile for what was happening on-screen), but at least it was coherent and it made sense. It lays out everything you need to know about the origins of Rapunzel's hair and magic powers. The climax was also very logical. Some have said the healing tears was a copt-out, but did you really think Disney would let one of their main characters die? I thought it was a clever surprise ending, because I totally didn't see it coming, yet it was at the same perfectly logical. So again, nothing wrong there. Also, it was clear from the beginning that Gothel was the villain, so what ill-defined characterization are you talking about? I would have preferred her to be more ambigious, but alas, Disney doesn't do subtlety.

What I do find problematic, though, is using terms like "butthurt" over something as benign as a different opinion on a movie. Why would anyone take something that trivial so personal?
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Lady Cluck wrote:Meanwhile Frozen [...] and there's talk of a sequel [...]

Even Wreck It Ralph is getting a sequel now so that will be more iconic than anything from Tangled.
And we know that a movie getting a sequel automatically means the original was really, really good, right? I mean, just look at Grown Ups 2. Oh, wait... :roll:
Lady Cluck wrote:Face it Tangled fans, that piece of shit film you love will be forever forgotten [...]

And anyone who thinks Tangled is superior as a film itself is either in denial or has some seriously pedestrian taste.

You Tangled fans have been treating people like shit for years and acting superior and arrogant because you thought Tangled was the hot new thing that put Disney back on the map. LOL not even close. Your moment in the sun is over. It's time to face the music. LET IT GO!!!!!