Tangled vs. Frozen

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.

Which movie do you prefer?

Tangled
36%
Frozen
51%
I like both equally
9%
I dislike both equally
4%

Total votes: 78

Nandor
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Tangled vs. Frozen: Which one is actually better?

Post by Nandor »

Angeldude98 wrote:Ok, before anyone starts jumping the gun, I don't know if there's another thread with this topic already or not, and right now I don't feel like looking for it...
This line irked me. I didn't say anything at the time, as I don't post often and don't want them all to be complaints. However, you do seem awfully self-righteous about respecting other people's posts.
What you're basically saying in this quote is 'I don't know or care about what other people have said on this topic. Here's my opinion which I'll just plunk down here, forget about any similar threads and use mine.'
To then go off about not respecting people's posts just rubs me the wrong way. I'm not trying to attack you, I just hope you'll see how this is a bit hypocritical.
Asante sana, squash banana, wewe nugu, mimi hapana.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

thelittleursula wrote:
thedisneyspirit wrote:Wreck It Ralph.

You rebel :lol:
That's me.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UwYqL7-O-U[/youtube]
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

Nandor wrote:
Angeldude98 wrote:Ok, before anyone starts jumping the gun, I don't know if there's another thread with this topic already or not, and right now I don't feel like looking for it...
This line irked me. I didn't say anything at the time, as I don't post often and don't want them all to be complaints. However, you do seem awfully self-righteous about respecting other people's posts.
What you're basically saying in this quote is 'I don't know or care about what other people have said on this topic. Here's my opinion which I'll just plunk down here, forget about any similar threads and use mine.'
To then go off about not respecting people's posts just rubs me the wrong way. I'm not trying to attack you, I just hope you'll see how this is a bit hypocritical.

Oy! How about if we follow Elsa's lead and just "Let it Go" already? Haha!

I love how people can be so quick at trying to read between the lines and come up with something they think is the real meaning. But you know? You're wrong. When I put that post up it was late at night, I was just about done browsing and I just posted the thread for the fun of it, and immeadiately turned off my light and went to sleep. I really didn't feel like looking for a similar thread, and that's because I thought you literally had to search page by page. I didn't know there was a search feature to help with that. Now I do, since people have pointed it out. And I wrote that line because I knew if there was a similar thread somewhere, someone would start on me about it. Many people here are just too rude and too quick to attack someone for perceived breaches of "netiquette", and I for one find that silly and petty. I don't know what the big deal is about having similiar threads. There are more serious things to worry about and defend in the world. People get too defensive about forums. And THAT rubs me the wrong way.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

Angeldude98 wrote:Oy! How about if we follow Elsa's lead and just "Let it Go" already? Haha!

I love how people can be so quick at trying to read between the lines and come up with something they think is the real meaning. But you know? You're wrong. When I put that post up it was late at night, I was just about done browsing and I just posted the thread for the fun of it, and immeadiately turned off my light and went to sleep. I really didn't feel like looking for a similar thread, and that's because I thought you literally had to search page by page. I didn't know there was a search feature to help with that. Now I do, since people have pointed it out. And I wrote that line because I knew if there was a similar thread somewhere, someone would start on me about it. Many people here are just too rude and too quick to attack someone for perceived breaches of "netiquette", and I for one find that silly and petty. I don't know what the big deal is about having similiar threads. There are more serious things to worry about and defend in the world. People get too defensive about forums. And THAT rubs me the wrong way.
You advise someone to "Let it Go" ….and then offer a 200 word rebuttal carrying on about it?
Walter
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Tangled vs. Frozen

Post by Walter »

While I do like "Frozen" better, I have to say, I do like the side characters of Pascal and Maximus more entertaining than that of Sven and Olaf. Pascal in some ways, reminds me of Orbity from "The Jetsons", with the way he changes colors.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I ask that any further discussion about thread merging/searching/etc. please be continued at this thread so we can stay on-topic here. Thanks! :)
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

DancingCrab wrote:
Angeldude98 wrote:Oy! How about if we follow Elsa's lead and just "Let it Go" already? Haha!

You advise someone to "Let it Go" ….and then offer a 200 word rebuttal carrying on about it?
Wow! And you actually took the time to count them? You have too much time on your hands. I just wanted to clarify the issue, that's all.

And seriously, can we just really "Let It Go" now and let this thread get back to the actual topic of "Tangled vs. Frozen? ;)
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

Elladorine wrote:I ask that any further discussion about thread merging/searching/etc. please be continued at this thread so we can stay on-topic here. Thanks! :)
Fine by me! I'm done with it anyway. Best regards. :)
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Btw, when was Wreck-It Ralph forgotten anyway? It's just too bad Disney doesn't market their non-princess films anymore. Tangled made just about the same, so I'm assuming if the Disney Princess line didn't exist, it would also be forgotten? Curses.
I think the reason it isn't very prominent anymore is probably because, yeah, the princesses usually just sell better for Disney. I'm 99.9% sure that more people have bought Rapunzel or Elsa dolls as opposed to Ralph action figures or plushes., so Disney doesn't find a need to keep it around as much.

Actually, if I may ask, can you still meet Ralph and Vanellope around Dumbo at Magic Kingdom? I haven't heard about that in a while.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

One thing I do think though for sure is that Elsa is the Princess from Frozen that has captured the imagination of, well, the world really. And not Anna.

Personally (and please don't chastise me for saying so) but I think its because Anna and Rapunzel are just too similar. Elsa is totally different to what we've seen before in a Princess film, or even any other Disney.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think people on this site are seriously underestimating how well-liked Anna is by the general public that made Frozen a record-breaker. As many have said, she does get the most screentime of the film, and she does have the funniest and most "Aww" moments in the entire film.

I showed my family the film after it came in the mail, and I usually gauge the average person's reaction from them (this is just for me--I know one person doesn't represent everybody who goes to see the movie). My mother loved Anna, and thought Elsa was just okay, although she liked "Let It Go." She said when we re-watched (she asked to see it again) that she didn't think she'd like the older sister from the commercials because of her design, but she was better than she thought and that she might have liked her more if they'd shown more of her as a child like they did Anna in "DYWTBAS?" She said she liked Anna because she wasn't "perfect" (in looks and behavior) like "all those other princess characters" (her words). After she said that, I didn't bother restraining so as not to influence her reaction anymore and told her about how everybody on the Internet seems to hate her. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
moviefan12
Gold Classic Collection

Post by moviefan12 »

Regarding Anna and Elsa, I've found that I like Anna more and can relate to more being a younger sibling myself and not always knowing how to be there for my big sister.
Favorite Animated Disney films: 1. Dumbo, 2. Tangled, 3. Frozen, 4. Beauty and The Best, 5. The Little Mermaid, 6. Cinderella

Favorite Princesses, 1. Rapunzel, 2. Ariel, 3. Sofia, 4.Elsa, 5. Belle, 6. Cinderella/Anna
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

I liked Frozen a lot, but I can't understand why anyone would think it's better than Tangled. There just is no contest: Tangled is infinitely better on all levels, whether it is story, characters, humor, songs or animation. Where Frozen is a 7/10, Tangled easily is a solid 9/10.

Though it's lightyears better than Princess and the Frog, Frozen still was a tiny disappointment for me upon seeing it in the theater because I had hoped for something equally great as Tangled, but it's not even as great as the marvelous Lilo & Stitch (2002).

I thought this video was really funny:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb5IH57SorQ[/youtube]
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Goliath :up:

I just got the blu this week, and after seeing it with my family …. it didn't seem as … well, magical as before? I know all films as a general rule loose a bit of their sparkle after the cinema, but Frozen really felt like a different experience.

It didn't help that my dad (who likes his Disney movies) kept saying "They're singing again? Please make it stop!" Which is always annoying when you're trying to really watch a movie. He also said Alan Menken has really lost his touch with the songs, which when I corrected him, he said "Well, it really shows what a difference Menken can make to my enjoyment of a Disney musical then". My brother thought it was good, but didn't enjoy it half as much as Tangled - he felt Olaf was trying too hard, he missed a spunky male lead in Flyn, and the songs were never ending and not very good.

I still enjoy it; its not in my top 5 (as Tangled went into) but I'm hoping after a few months of the Frozen hype dying down I can look at it anew.
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

Atlantica wrote:
I just got the blu this week, and after seeing it with my family …. it didn't seem as … well, magical as before? I know all films as a general rule loose a bit of their sparkle after the cinema, but Frozen really felt like a different experience.
Yeah I feel like this too. Five months ago Frozen was easily my second favorite Disney movie, but now it's about top 10, it might get even lower.

Is anybody else feeling like this ???
Atlantica wrote: I just got the blu this week, and after seeing it with my family …. it didn't seem as … well, magical as before? I know all films as a general rule loose a bit of their sparkle after the cinema, but Frozen really felt like a different experience.

It didn't help that my dad (who likes his Disney movies) kept saying "They're singing again? Please make it stop!"
Yeah it was kinda annoying having all the songs at the beginning basically then no- singing- then two songs spread out at the end- then no singing.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

thelittleursula wrote:
Yeah it was kinda annoying having all the songs at the beginning basically then no- singing- then two songs spread out at the end- then no singing.
I do wish there had been more music throughout the film, but I think the beginning is amazing because of the music. The music is actually relevant to the story again, whereas Tangled feels like it begrudges its musical moments.

I’d have to go back to at least Tarzan to find a Disney film equal-to-better than Frozen, even though I liked TP&TF, TP, WIR, and TENG for various reasons.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

The two biggest weaknesses in Frozen are the general story-structure and the character of Elsa.

See, we are told that we have to feel sympathy for Elsa; somehow 'Let It Go' is being presented as something to applaud. But I have to ask: why? True, she didn't know how to handle her powers and she suffered for it herself, which is very tragic. But why does she let the entire kingdom suffer for it as well and then doesn't give a damn? "Okay, I just cursed the entire kingdom with eternal frost, but I just built myself a nice castle and everybody else can go f@#k themselves." Uhm... yay Elsa? :| She is a totally selfish character who does nothing but bitch to every character she comes across. I know, I know, the curse, poor thing... but sympathy does stop at some point. Even people who suffer have to take responsability for their actions.

Then there's the story, which, as I remember it, is nothing more than a big going back and forth between Arendelle and Elsa's hide-out. The characters are running around a lot, while not much is really happening story-wise. It reminds me a lot of Princess and the Frog's swamp scene, where the two frogs were traveling the wrong way simply to fill time. TP&TF had the hillbillies which were totally unnecessary, Frozen has the snowman's song. Compare this to Tangled's story-structure. Everything that happened in that movie, served a purpose. Everything Rapunzel and Flynn did had a good motivation and everything followed logically from what happened before. It had a tight story, whereas Frozen is all over the place.

And that's not even counting the many plotholes and/or illogical things that are going on, like: how and why did Anna suddenly became in charge of Arendelle after Elsa fled? I don't remember Elsa abdicating? And how can the foreign merchant guy (the little old scrawny dude) order the capture of Elsa? What guard would listen to a visiting nobody who made threats against his queen? Then, how can Anna put Hans in charge while she's away? A visiting duke, rather than a prime-minister or another appointed government official? Hans, who also later has the rightful queen imprisoned? A blatant coup d'état in which everybody happily participates without questioning Hans? It's simply impossible.

What Frozen does very well though, is presenting all of this in a way that you don't pay attention to it when you're watching the movie. You're too much involved in all the action to think over these plot points. There's too much going on to really question it at the moment. It's the strong characters and the way they deliver all that nonsense that makes you swallow it. That, in itself, is a big achievement. And I don't say that sarcastically. It's a good thing when a movie can persuade you to go along with whatever is being presented, because it means you are totally involved in it. Of course, better yet is to ot have those plot holes and have a tight story. :P
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Goliath wrote:The two biggest weaknesses in Frozen are the general story-structure and the character of Elsa.

See, we are told that we have to feel sympathy for Elsa; somehow 'Let It Go' is being presented as something to applaud. But I have to ask: why? True, she didn't know how to handle her powers and she suffered for it herself, which is very tragic. But why does she let the entire kingdom suffer for it as well and then doesn't give a damn? "Okay, I just cursed the entire kingdom with eternal frost, but I just built myself a nice castle and everybody else can go f@#k themselves." Uhm... yay Elsa? :| She is a totally selfish character who does nothing but bitch to every character she comes across. I know, I know, the curse, poor thing... but sympathy does stop at some point. Even people who suffer have to take responsability for their actions.

Then there's the story, which, as I remember it, is nothing more than a big going back and forth between Arendelle and Elsa's hide-out. The characters are running around a lot, while not much is really happening story-wise. It reminds me a lot of Princess and the Frog's swamp scene, where the two frogs were traveling the wrong way simply to fill time. TP&TF had the hillbillies which were totally unnecessary, Frozen has the snowman's song. Compare this to Tangled's story-structure. Everything that happened in that movie, served a purpose. Everything Rapunzel and Flynn did had a good motivation and everything followed logically from what happened before. It had a tight story, whereas Frozen is all over the place.

And that's not even counting the many plotholes and/or illogical things that are going on, like: how and why did Anna suddenly became in charge of Arendelle after Elsa fled? I don't remember Elsa abdicating? And how can the foreign merchant guy (the little old scrawny dude) order the capture of Elsa? What guard would listen to a visiting nobody who made threats against his queen? Then, how can Anna put Hans in charge while she's away? A visiting duke, rather than a prime-minister or another appointed government official? Hans, who also later has the rightful queen imprisoned? A blatant coup d'état in which everybody happily participates without questioning Hans? It's simply impossible.

What Frozen does very well though, is presenting all of this in a way that you don't pay attention to it when you're watching the movie. You're too much involved in all the action to think over these plot points. There's too much going on to really question it at the moment. It's the strong characters and the way they deliver all that nonsense that makes you swallow it. That, in itself, is a big achievement. And I don't say that sarcastically. It's a good thing when a movie can persuade you to go along with whatever is being presented, because it means you are totally involved in it. Of course, better yet is to ot have those plot holes and have a tight story. :P
1. Elsa didn't know that she froze Arendelle when she ran off after the whole glove removal thing, and I know it's a matter of opinion but I think she's up there with the Beast who's a character with many emotions and a great story behind the both them. Elsa is eaten by fear, which stops when she finally understands love and she does fix things at the end with her newfound control of her powers.

2. Anna is the second in line of Arendelle so if Elsa was abesnt, she was in charge, then she decided to go after Elsa and left Arendelle in charge of the person she trusted at the time: Hans.

3. The Duke (the scrawny guy) never ordered any capture of Elsa, he offers two of his bodyguards to go with Hans to find Anna, then he quietly tells the two men to kill the queen if they encounter her, wanting them to end the winter. No one questions Hans because Anna trusts him and they think they could trust him to, which is the reason why they believe his story that Anna "died in his arms" and would sentence Elsa "to death because of treason".

Both Tangled and Frozen both present themselves well but I perfer Frozen because of better pacing, characters, songs, etc.

But more power to you if Tangled presented everything better for you.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

1. I never understood the love for the Beast, either. He's a jerk with anger issues who imprisons an old man simply for entering his castle, then trades him off for his hot young daughter, whom he also keeps as a prisoner. He verbally abuses her, threatens to let her starve and then later acts like letting Belle go is an act of kindness while it's simply setting straight something that was wrong to begin with. The fact that Belle suffers from Stockholm syndrome does not make him any more decent. I'm not surprised you would think Elsa is a great character if you loved the Beast.

I suppose Elsa did look back at least one time when she fled, so she must have seen what she did to the kingdom. Other than that, it's still selfish to abandon all the responsibilities you have toaward your people just because you want to live alone in an ice castle.

2. Yes, I know that's what happened. I'm just saying it doesn't make any sense. So anytime a head of state goes away, their offspring automatically and immediately becomes the new ruler? And what ruler would give power to a visiting duke from another country, rather than to a cabinet member or other domestic government official?It's just absurd.

3. Isn't it very stupid to trust someone's word without checking if they're speaking the truth when it comes to matter of state?
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Goliath wrote:1. I never understood the love for the Beast, either. He's a jerk with anger issues who imprisons an old man simply for entering his castle, then trades him off for his hot young daughter, whom he also keeps as a prisoner. He verbally abuses her, threatens to let her starve and then later acts like letting Belle go is an act of kindness while it's simply setting straight something that was wrong to begin with. The fact that Belle suffers from Stockholm syndrome does not make him any more decent. I'm not surprised you would think Elsa is a great character if you loved the Beast.

I suppose Elsa did look back at least one time when she fled, so she must have seen what she did to the kingdom. Other than that, it's still selfish to abandon all the responsibilities you have toaward your people just because you want to live alone in an ice castle.

2. Yes, I know that's what happened. I'm just saying it doesn't make any sense. So anytime a head of state goes away, their offspring automatically and immediately becomes the new ruler? And what ruler would give power to a visiting duke from another country, rather than to a cabinet member or other domestic government official?It's just absurd.

3. Isn't it very stupid to trust someone's word without checking if they're speaking the truth when it comes to matter of state?
1. It's all opinion so I won't comment about that except the whole "Stockholm syndrome" thing in Beauty and the Beast is unfounded and I'm sick of people saying that.

2. Arendelle must have a wacky sense of politics I suppose.

3. It's the 19th century, everyone trusts someone who looks trustworthy.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan