Anyone Bothered By The "Frozen" Blu-Ray/DVD Review?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Anyone Bothered By The "Frozen" Blu-Ray/DVD Review?

Post by Angeldude98 »

I sure am! How can anyone possibly slam this film? :x This is Disney's most outstanding film in decades!!! Ok, so it's a personal opinion... but come on, the film made over $1.02 Billion!!! That means the vast majority of the world likes it! Some people are never satisfied... :roll: . What are they expecting? Frozen has all the elements that make it a classic! And whether the naysayers like or not, it will still be adored by millions of fans and will keep raking in big bucks for the Mouse House, which means that said Mouse House will keep churning out movies like Frozen because in the end, it's all about what makes the $$$ come in :D . And the reason the $$$ keeps coming in for Frozen is because it is a GREAT film! Otherwise, people wouldn't have loved it so much to go see it so much. If they want a film catered to their personal taste, then maybe they should look into Independent Filmmaking. 8)
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Re: Anyone Bothered By The "Frozen" Blu-Ray/DVD Review?

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Bad films have made a splash at the box office before. Not that I'm saying it was bad at all, but I had my share of problems with it. The story could have been better.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Oh for goodness sake Angeldude98, you needn't have made a whole thread for this.

Peoples opinions are their own, and they are entitled to them, just as you have yours!
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

Atlantica wrote:Oh for goodness sake Angeldude98, you needn't have made a whole thread for this.

Peoples opinions are their own, and they are entitled to them, just as you have yours!
I agree with that. I just wanted to know who else felt the same way I did about that review. It would be good if the reviews had comments sections so we could comment on them without creating a thread here. Anyway, there's no harm in discussing it here.
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

Old Fish Tale wrote:Bad films have made a splash at the box office before. Not that I'm saying it was bad at all, but I had my share of problems with it. The story could have been better.
As much as I love "Frozen" I have to agree (at least partly) with you in that although the film was great, it still lacked more conflict for me. I would have loved to see a much more evil and menacing villain than what Hans turned out to be. The original idea was to make Elsa the big baddie, but then they changed it to make her a co-protagonist on a quest of self-acceptance. That was great and all, but I do think they should have then created another big villain to supplement the story. However, it is what it is and at least we got great songs and a very memorable film with some of the best animation effects ever!
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

You could have posted this in the existing Frozen thread. There was absolutely NO reason to start a new thread about this topic.
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

DancingCrab wrote:You could have posted this in the existing Frozen thread. There was absolutely NO reason to start a new thread about this topic.
The "official" Frozen thread is about the film. This is about the review. It's a different topic. The idea is to discuss opinions on the review, not the film. We are free to create threads on whatever we want, regardless of the "unwritten rules". Whoever doesn't like doesn't need to reply.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I didn't have anything bad to say about the review, although I don't agree with it at all. The only thing that irked me was the idea that Frozen only did well financially because all the other 2013 animated films sucked, which is ludicrous. People would just have as easily not went to see Frozen if they didn't like it whether or not the rest of the year had been bad or good.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

I love Frozen for many reasons, but I definitely understand and agree with most of the review. The film has a lot of flaws.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Perhaps you should look for all the good reviews the movie got, Angeldude98? There are plenty of them. So why getting so upset about one particular negative review?
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I totally ignore most all reviews. I know what I like and if I end up wasting my time in the theater for two hours, that is all on me.

I am my best reviewer of movies. And I don't really care what other people say about a movie. "Frozen", in my opinion, was the best Disney animated film since the original DAC's were done. The story is bright, the music moves you and the story right along, and the characters bring a lot of laughs and giggles, and the love story is nicely done.

Don't get me started on the music. It is probably the best animated musical film I have seen since "An American Tale" and "Anastasia". I bought the soundtrack CD on my way home from the first viewing of "Frozen", and it has been out of the cd player in my car since. We, as a family, saw this movie 9 times, and then went to the sing-a-long twice as a family. There's nothing better than hearing your six-year-old granddaughter knowing all the songs by heart and able to sing along with the best of them.

As far as reviews go, I do read them, after I have seen the movie, and most of the time, critics get to technical or personal on why they don't like a film, and that irks me most. Movies are our best entertainment, and we should be able to see what we want when we want without reading someone's review to guide into whether we really want to see the movie.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

If you think reviews are meant to reflect your own opinion on something you're completely missing the point of a review.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I think his criticisms where valid. Beleive it or not, not everyone thinksthe movie is flawless. Then again I dont think most of the DACs are flawless...
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Hey everyone,

I don't think the review is slamming Frozen. I happen to agree with it: the film is very good, but not without it's flaws. And he (and I) are perplexed by the out-of-this-world financial success of it, in light of these flaws.

A serious point: a film's financial success is not a reflection of its quality as a film. Many great films were not that successful in theaters. And many terrible movies were... c'mon... Transformers?!?!?!?

And yes, a reviewer's ideas are his/her opinion. Only his/her opinion is somewhat more educated than a lay man's, since they have either studied film, journalism, done research, seen way more films than the average viewer, and/or all of the above. Doesn't mean their opinion will always match every person in the audience's.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I think it was ok you made this thread, but here may have been a better place for it:

UltimateDisney.com/DVDizzy.com Reviews: Discussion Thread

It can be found in the General DVD Discussion section.

I might read the review later but bad reviews tend to spoil my views of movies so I think I'll wiat till I've seen Frozen again.
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

I think I liked the movie a little more than Luke did, but I still agree with everything he said. He nailed it when he pointed out the film's "slavish devotion to efficiency." It feels like the filmmakers are trying to convince themselves that there's some sort of "recipe" for a perfect movie. "Throw in X, Y, and Z, and we're done!" It all felt very market-tested, very "safe."

Again, I really liked the film, and I'm happy for its success (even if I don't quite think that all of it is deserved).

... By the way, this is (more or less) the exact same review that's been up on the main site since the film premiered. Luke re-used it for the DVD/blu-ray review. His opinion of the film has been known for months.
- John
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

Old Fish Tale wrote:Not that I'm saying it was bad at all, but I had my share of problems with it. The story could have been better.

This. At times the movie felt rushed. Honestly I think the reasons why we are so desperate over it, is because it's the closest thing we have gotten to the Little Mermaid era in ages. So we all went nuts.

I love Frozen, but I can understand why somebody would think that it's not so great, overrated, or etc.
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

Frozen is basically a "What if it actually worked?" version of the whole Pocahontas production ambition. Pocahontas was a dubiously plotted Oscar Bait movie with a strong musical score that threw source material out the window that ended up getting outdone by Lion King and overall seen as kinda mediocre.

Frozen had a great musical score with a story full of plotholes that bailed from the source material that managed to succeed from some endearing characters, the strength of Let It Go, the lack of competition from other animated films, and the greatest viral marketing campaign ever in the form of the horrible winter we just escaped.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

I actually think 'Pocahontas' is the better film. But again, that's just my opinion.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Old Fish Tale wrote:I actually think 'Pocahontas' is the better film. But again, that's just my opinion.
Me too. Although "Pocahontas" does have some obvious, huge flaws (weak writing, slow pacing, being too serious), I still consider it to be a superior movie to "Frozen". The music in "Pocahontas" is amazing, as is the animation and character designs. And the movie has at least atmosphere. "Frozen" has a generic score, generic character designs and many of it's elements seems more contrived (the evil prince plot, the love subplot).