Tangled vs. Frozen

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.

Which movie do you prefer?

Tangled
36%
Frozen
51%
I like both equally
9%
I dislike both equally
4%

Total votes: 78

Jay
Anniversary Edition

Re: Tangled vs. Frozen

Post by Jay »

I like both but I prefer Frozen. I relate to Elsa a lot and think she is a wonderfully unique character for Disney. I also really like Anna she is adorable and hilarious. The other characters are also great although I wish Kristoff and Hans both had a bit more development. The songs are wonderful and imo it is Disney's best overall soundtrack since Hunchback. The story is well done and pretty fresh for Disney as well. The animation is gorgeous. It does have flaws of course. As I mentioned I think both the leading men could have been developed a bit more and I think the pacing is a little off at times. I also wish they had a song or 2 towards the end. And I wish they had a scene or 2 featuring Elsa at her ice castle alone.

That said I do like Tangled. Rapunzel is also adorable and I like her character arc. I also enjoy Pascal and Max. And I think Mother Gothel is a great villain, imo Disney's best since Yzma. I agree she is one of the most scarily realistic villains as well as one of the most human which makes her both more hateable and tragic. The only character I really dislike is Flynn who I think is beyond obnoxious. The soundtrack leaves a lot to be desired to with only "Mother Knows Best being the stand out for me. The animation is also gorgeous and the pacing is tighter here than Frozen. But the plot isn't very original and Flynn just really brings it down for me. I kind of wish they kept him a prince like the original tale and maybe have him a bit like Jasmine, trying to flee his royal status because he is being forced to marry.
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

Frozen by miles !

> Better music

> Better characters

> Enjoyable storyline

> Enjoyed Elsa & Anna over Rapunzel

> Better villain

> Kristoff over Flynn anyday

Felt more Disney, and less Shrek-y :up:
Thoix

Post by Thoix »

I think they're very close in quality so it's hard to tell which is better, but I prefer Tangled. Tangled got me back into Disney Animation and includes my favorite Disney Princess, Rapunzel. I didn't have high hopes for it when i first saw the teaser but it wowed me when I finally saw it. I like all the characters in it a bit more than the Frozen characters, and I also prefer the songs. In the end though, I think both films deserve to be praised as mich as the Disney movies from the renaissance.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

In terms of characterisation and animation, both films are very similar in everything but Elsa, who is a relatively complex character for a DAC. However, my personal decider is the music. I can't remember any songs from Tangled, yet I can't get "Let It Go" out of my head.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Eh, some things work better in one over the other. I think for me the perfect film would be to smash up the two, tbh.
Last edited by thedisneyspirit on Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

Frozen. I think it makes Tangled look really weak.

However, I think the lyrics in both were lacking but I prefer the Frozen songs.
In Tangled's favour, Mother Gothel is the better villain of the two, but I think overall Frozen had the better characters.
Settling Soul mates? That is grim. And I've played Monopoly alone.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I think all these comparison threads would be better when Frozen has been around a little while like Tangled has. Frozen is all fresh and new in people's minds at the moment, and Tangled has even had a short since it's original release....think it would be better when the dust has settled on Frozen slightly, so to speak.
Last edited by Atlantica on Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Yes, it's still the shiny new toy...
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Yeah, I have a feeling in a couple years the poll will be a lot closer. But I have a feeling that, as a stronger musical, Frozen will have a slight edge.
RyGuy wrote:Yeah, it's a part of my life I like to keep on the down low :o. (you weren't ATI, were you?).
I had to google that. Nope, I wasn't. I used Christian curriculum from a variety of publishers (A Beka, Bob Jones, Saxon, etc.). I didn't belong to any set "denomination" of homeschooling. I knew quite a few cult homeschoolers, though, and I'm so thankful I wasn't one of them.
behindthemouse

Post by behindthemouse »

I think the villain in Frozen was really a side note. It was really more about the relationship between the girls and how Anna brought them back together.
I don't understand though why everyone is so excited about Elsa, when really the story was more about Anna. Anna sung over 80% of the music and had over half the lines. She was in all the movie, whereas Elsa was really in about 30%. The only thing we can think of is that everyone likes her winter powers, but in reality the movie was about Anna getting that relationship back with her broken sister.
Eric
Chief Mouseologist
Behind The Mouse
Keep Moving Forward
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

I still think the film didn't need a villain at all.
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

thelittleursula wrote:Frozen by miles !

> Better music

> Better characters

> Enjoyable storyline

> Enjoyed Elsa & Anna over Rapunzel

> Better villain

> Kristoff over Flynn anyday

Felt more Disney, and less Shrek-y :up:
I would use these exact same comments (in reverse) as justification for why I liked Tangled over Frozen. Most especially, I liked the comment that it felt more Disney and less Shrek-y because that's exactly what I thought about Tangled, that it felt more Disney from the music, to the story, to the characters.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Tangled

Frozen is a great movie to spend the time. It´s fun, has good characters and very good songs (no doubt). But in terms of story, character development (what did they really do with Elsa?) and overall cohesiveness Tangled is the best movie.

I´ll place a link as spoiler for a review of the movie that points at all the faults the film has:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJUh6dQDNbg

And that´s precisely why I can´t understand how people and critics alike praise the film so much taking all that in consideration.

You can like the movie all you want; I myself do. But everything that´s been said there is true and no one can deny it.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

DC Fan wrote:You can like the movie all you want; I myself do. But everything that´s been said there is true and no one can deny it.
I didn't watch the video and don't plan to, but the only thing I can guess someone could say about the film that would be "undeniable" would be pacing issues. Otherwise, still superior to Tangled in nearly all regards.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Isn't that the video review everyone has been discussing and hating? I've only seen it now. She could have been less agressive, but I agreed with her on many points. I still think it was a good film, but it could have been way better.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Old Fish Tale wrote:Yes, it's still the shiny new toy...
It's funny how Tangled wasn't a shiny new toy back in 2010 when everybody declared it better than PatF the moment it came out.

Maybe it's just the matter of timing, but Frozen came about when I was going through some very turbulent period in my life, and it was like a soothing balm for my wounds and an eye-opening experience. I could see myself in both Elsa and Anna, and I don't think I've experienced that level of identification with a Disney character since Mulan. The story is not without its problems, but the characters felt real, tangible and not flawlessly idealized and/or emotionally hollow as pretty much anyone in Tangled, and there were no absurd solutions to bring the movie to its end (I'm still not over that cop-out ending in Tangled.) Even other aspects (design, animation, music/songs) of both films are incomparable -- I feel that technically Frozen is a better film.

To put things into perspective:

Frozen > The Princess and the Frog > Tangled > Brave
kylemj
Limited Issue

Post by kylemj »

Frozen has the magic which was found in the Disney greats such as Beauty and Beast
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

When it comes to classic fairy tales, no other studio beats Disney. It seems they're getting better and better with each title they release. The Princess and the Frog was okay, Tangled was much better, but Frozen is definitely their best! :D
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Mooky wrote: Frozen > The Princess and the Frog (> Wreck-It Ralph :P ) > Tangled > Brave
This is how I would rank them, too.

I don't think I identified with Anna or Elsa as much as I did Tiana, and I think TP&TF's cast of characters is stronger (minus Louis), but Frozen is overall a much better film (music, comedy, structure, etc.) than TP&TF that I put it above it. Plus, a snowy setting is just more appealing than a swamp, let's be honest.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Tangled has a stronger villain
Frozen has stronger songs (love)

I like Anna and Rapunzel equally

I like the ending of Tangled more than Frozen (Ice skating really)

I like both equally :wave:
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney