Merida to Join the Disney Princess Line

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Re: Merida to Join the Disney Princess Line

Post by Siren »

Her pose looks so awkward. Like her head is on backwards.

Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

Sotiris wrote:Look! Merida is fitting right in with the rest of the princesses now. :lol:

Source: http://www.toysrus.com/family/index.jsp ... 20princess

Aurora looks like she is trying her hardest to get away from Merida in that picture. She's whispering to Rapunzel through a fake smile "She is breathing on me.."
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Jay wrote:Aurora looks like she is trying her hardest to get away from Merida in that picture. She's whispering to Rapunzel through a fake smile "She is breathing on me.."
rotfl
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Oh for goodness sake, they couldn't have at least have given her something vaguely Christmassy to hold ?!
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:Oh for goodness sake, they couldn't have at least have given her something vaguely Christmassy to hold ?!

Or.... fix that evil/ creepy face.....

Keep on thinking that she's secretly hiding a knife behind her back.

:huh:
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

rotfl

Haha, quite possibly ! But why plonk her in with a bow and arrow ? Surely something festive would be better ? Suppose it's just sheer laziness. Though the other Princesses have been dolled up for the season. And Merida is Scottish, so she obviously does celebrate Christmas as we; they are ever so careful with Pocahontas / Jasmine not to clothe them in Christmas attire, but there is no reason to exclude Merida. This is the one time they have an actual reason to put her in something sparkly !
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

^that reminds me of all the times Ive seen Jasmine in Winter Holiday garb. Including the Mattel Jasmine Holiday doll wearing the velvety dark green dress. :roll:

so what's with all the Merida hate? I like the new image of her, it actually looks like the one in the film. Its good to have a princess that looks different. Go Merida!
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Really ? I thought Disney Was always quite respectful of the different cultures of the Princesses? Even on the Princess holiday album, Pocahontas and Jasmine mention nothing of Christmas itself, just mainly about Winter and the season itself.

We don't hate on Merida herself, it's the laziness of whoever does her clip art. Having her hold a bow an arrow in the middle of a Christmas scene with the princesses is just jarring, especially with them all wearing winter outfits bar her.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:We don't hate on Merida herself, it's the laziness of whoever does her clip art. Having her hold a bow an arrow in the middle of a Christmas scene with the princesses is just jarring, especially with them all wearing winter outfits bar her.
In this case, I don't think it's laziness though. I think Disney is simply afraid to make any more changes to Merida's clipart because of the controversy.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I can see your point, but making her at least hold something festive, or have some traditional Scottish Christmas clothing on shouldn't have caused much harm, surely?!
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

its actually a nice doll. I just dont think it shouldnt have been done in velvet. Poor girl will suffocate wearing that in the desert heat.

even worse is the Aladdin EASTER decoration(with Al, Jas & Genie holdng eggs & baskets) I saw at a store once back in the 90's.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Oh dear, was that made for Christmas? Little bit of a faux pas there for sure Disney....oh dear.
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Sotiris wrote: In this case, I don't think it's laziness though. I think Disney is simply afraid to make any more changes to Merida's clipart because of the controversy.

^ This

They are too scared to touch her just in case they make her too feminine or something.
unprincess wrote:
so what's with all the Merida hate? I like the new image of her, it actually looks like the one in the film. Its good to have a princess that looks different. Go Merida!
I don't like Merida because she was bitchy, rude and selfish and was basically downright rude to her Mom and she's not even a Disney Princess, she's Pixar movie. It annoys me that Esmeralda, Meg or even Kida are 100 per cent Disney made, could count as a Princess like Mulan, and yet are pushed aside for bitchy Mc Scottish, just because she " wields a bow and arrow " And doesn't want to " Marry a Man "

Gaaasp just like Pocahontas and Jasmine !

Then most of her fans complain that she looks Disney Princess, well duh, so Disney changes her to try and make her look 2D AAAND Pixar like and now she looks like she wants to murder us all.

Sorry just annoyed.

I hate her.

hate her.

She gets this " She's so refreshing and action warrior Princess " thing about her, when she's basically the worst parts of Ariel with a Scottish accent. Ariel loved her Father and Sisters from the beginning, Merdia ? " I hate you Mum " You won't let me get MY way, so I hate you.

How is that a good role model for girls ? And boys who like the Disney Princesses ?

Sorry, just... ugh... I need to get some fresh air.....

Imo Tiana in green Christmas clothing would of been a better fit, she would celebrate Christmas and fans wouldn't mind her being feminine.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

thelittleursula wrote:I don't like Merida because she was bitchy, rude and selfish and was basically downright rude to her Mom and she's not even a Disney Princess, she's Pixar movie. It annoys me that Esmeralda, Meg or even Kida are 100 per cent Disney made, could count as a Princess like Mulan, and yet are pushed aside for bitchy Mc Scottish, just because she " wields a bow and arrow " And doesn't want to " Marry a Man "

Gaaasp just like Pocahontas and Jasmine !

Then most of her fans complain that she looks Disney Princess, well duh, so Disney changes her to try and make her look 2D AAAND Pixar like and now she looks like she wants to murder us all.

Sorry just annoyed.

I hate her.

hate her.

She gets this " She's so refreshing and action warrior Princess " thing about her, when she's basically the worst parts of Ariel with a Scottish accent. Ariel loved her Father and Sisters from the beginning, Merdia ? " I hate you Mum " You won't let me get MY way, so I hate you.

How is that a good role model for girls ? And boys who like the Disney Princesses ?

Sorry, just... ugh... I need to get some fresh air.....

Imo Tiana in green Christmas clothing would of been a better fit, she would celebrate Christmas and fans wouldn't mind her being feminine.
You have hit nail squarely on the head there; I could not agree with you more.
And seemingly, she hasn't been that much of a hit with with younger ones either; Merida sales of toys and clothes etc haven't been doing well at all this Christmas period. Even Disneyland Paris haven't bothered to add her to their roster of Princesses !
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

:milkbuds:
Last edited by thedisneyspirit on Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I don't like Merida because she was bitchy, rude and selfish and was basically downright rude to her Mom and she's not even a Disney Princess, she's Pixar movie. It annoys me that Esmeralda, Meg or even Kida are 100 per cent Disney made, could count as a Princess like Mulan, and yet are pushed aside for bitchy Mc Scottish, just because she " wields a bow and arrow " And doesn't want to " Marry a Man "
ugh dont get me started on their treatment of Meg, Esme, Jane even ALICE!(where was she(the animated version) when the TB movie came out?) They basically dont exist as far as Disney is concerned. Which is sad & infuriating!

as for Merida, I guess she was kindof a brat in the beginning but I still liked her & as a female who isnt into beauty & dressing up & romance myself, I like seeing that aspect represented. I can identify with her. I personally cant indentify with stepford princess Cinderella, who's my least favorite, and I have to put up with herbeing pushed into everything(though i dont hate her) but Im sure many(most in fact judging by her popularity )do love her. Thats fine with me.
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

unprincess wrote:
ugh dont get me started on their treatment of Meg, Esme, Jane even ALICE!(where was she(the animated version) when the TB movie came out?) They basically dont exist as far as Disney is concerned. Which is sad & infuriating!

as for Merida, I guess she was kindof a brat in the beginning but I still liked her & as a female who isnt into beauty & dressing up & romance myself, I like seeing that aspect represented. I can identify with her. I personally cant indentify with stepford princess Cinderella, who's my least favorite, and I have to put up with herbeing pushed into everything(though i dont hate her) but Im sure many(most in fact judging by her popularity )do love her. Thats fine with me.

That's alright c: You can be a fan of hers if you wish c:

I just find her to be too selfish & everything

Haha Cindy is my fave, but that's okay c:

Yes Esmeralda, Jane, Meg, Alice, Wendy etc deserve at least some attention.....
thedisneyspirit wrote:Merida is very annoying, but she gets better at the end.

The reason she's added to the roster was so that the SJWs (you know what I'm saying littleursula) would cream their pants in delight:
"omg my dream girl, a rude girl who screams and abuses her mother and is such a spoiled brat free woman! She NEEDS NO MAN and she's all dirty and umkept and wields a bow and arrow! SHE'S SUCH AN ICON!"
Oh my gosh, yes ^ So, so, so true.

And yet they turn around and whinge about Ariel when at least she actually loved her family & Dad.
thedisneyspirit wrote: Which is another reason why I'm not fond of that Rise of the Guardians crossover. They tend to mischaracterize every character and Merida always comes out as this rude bitchy tomboy who uses swear words all the time and she's even more unpleasant in these crossovers than in the original film.
That fad/ meme was silly, thankfully it's dying out. But they're trying to make a Seasons fad happen now -__-

Elsa- Winter, Anna- Spring, Merdia- Autumn, Rapunzel- Summer
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

That's alright c: You can be a fan of hers if you wish c:

I just find her to be too selfish & everything

Haha Cindy is my fave, but that's okay c:
oops, sorry. :( I guess we just have different tastes. I do like Cindy though its just i think they overuse her.

what does SJW mean?
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I know they have added Merida to everything now, as in she is appearing on banners and things like the one above, but she really isn't being given a fair chance in the parks in Paris; she isn't featured in a meet and greet anywhere still. She is featured in Disney Dreams! though.
Cruella

Post by Cruella »

Aw, I like Merida! Granted, I mainly like her Scottish heritage and her gorgeous fluffy red hair. As someone with naturally big fluffy hair, it's very nice to see the hair in a post '80s movie lead.

She doesn't look right in the marketing, however. I think it's the eyes. The eyes look very spaced out, not translating out of CGI well.