Frozen: Part V

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Re: Frozen: Part V

Post by Atlantica »

I'd like an origin story with Elsa!
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:I'd like an origin story with Elsa!
She's basically a mutant. There that explains it.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

Super Aurora wrote:
She's basically a mutant. There that explains it.
Or she's related to Hermione Granger... you know. Another magic person who doesn't have any magic parents. I'm more familiar with the films than the books so if I missed something, let me know.
Big One
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Big One »

The ice power is just an analogy for homosexuality, though. Especially since the sisters were two lovers in the original work in terms of the role they play in the movie they're basically Kai and Gerda.

Though in actuality it's probably just some type of evil curse of some sort.
atlanticaunderthesea wrote:Chemistry. It just wasn't there between Kristoff and Anna as it was with Flynn and Rapunzel, which made Tangled work so well.
I agree with this, but at the same time I do think that really isn't the intention of the film itself. Tangled focused on the chemistry between Flynn and Rapunzel, however Frozen focused on the chemistry between Anna and Elsa. Kristoff is such a sidenote that when he should've had that defining moment at the end, it was taken away from him by sisterly love. That's what's it all about. Kristoff and Anna have the exact chemistry a boyfriend/girlfriend couple should aka not instantly marrying or falling in love with the guy.
Alphapanchito
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Alphapanchito »

Elsa's power's origin was explained (if thats what you mean by her origin). She was just born with them. Thats it. The king says it, and as someone on this thread pointed out, the ice harvesters said it: "Born of cold and winter air and mountain rain combining".

I think they didn't just leave out a backstory but that is it. If they just left out a backstory for whatever reason, they probably wouldn't have the king mention that she was born with them. It can't be a curse because the old troll asked if she was born with the powers or cursed, and the king said "born, and they're getting stronger".

As a lot of people have already said, Elsa can be a representation of a lot of different kind of people, LGBT people, people with mental health and anxiety issues, and you can go on and on. Point is, all these things are just things you are born with or get them from no fault of your own. You never asked to be this way, and sometimes it can suck. This also happened with Elsa, and I really like that. I prefer this to some magical reasoning like a prophecy, because this makes elsa even more relatable than she already is.

And I agree with Big One about the story not being about Kristoff, and I think Kristoff and Anna had just enough development to keep the viewers focused on the sisters, but still have that little side relationship that many people enjoy seeing in a princess movie. But it still shows that Anna's number one goal was to reconcile with her sister and save her and get to be friends with her again, and I really love that. As I mentioned before, trying to have Anna flirt with Kristoff like Rapunzel did with Flynn would feel really weird and not make sense when Anna is so worried about her sister and her kingdom, and then herself.
Big One
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Big One »

Alphapanchito wrote:Elsa's power's origin was explained (if thats what you mean by her origin). She was just born with them. Thats it. The king says it, and as someone on this thread pointed out, the ice harvesters said it: "Born of cold and winter air and mountain rain combining".

I think they didn't just leave out a backstory but that is it. If they just left out a backstory for whatever reason, they probably wouldn't have the king mention that she was born with them. It can't be a curse because the old troll asked if she was born with the powers or cursed, and the king said "born, and they're getting stronger".

As a lot of people have already said, Elsa can be a representation of a lot of different kind of people, LGBT people, people with mental health and anxiety issues, and you can go on and on. Point is, all these things are just things you are born with or get them from no fault of your own. You never asked to be this way, and sometimes it can suck. This also happened with Elsa, and I really like that. I prefer this to some magical reasoning like a prophecy, because this makes elsa even more relatable than she already is.

And I agree with Big One about the story not being about Kristoff, and I think Kristoff and Anna had just enough development to keep the viewers focused on the sisters, but still have that little side relationship that many people enjoy seeing in a princess movie.
Your interpretation is much better than mine, didn't even realize it was specifically mentioned in the movie that Elsa was born with the powers. Now that makes me believe that the analogy with discrimination against people who genuinely cannot help to be the way they are is even stronger. That's a pretty bold and strong message on Disney's part especially in a society so deeply rooted homophobia and making fun of handicap and retarded people.
taei
Special Edition

Post by taei »

I gotta say..

This was probably my favorite shot in the movie:
http://waltdisneystudiosawards.com/img/ ... still7.jpg
"In every age, Family is king,
and the bravest journeys, are never taken alone."
-Brave.
Alphapanchito
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Alphapanchito »

Since we're talking about favorite shots:

http://lovely-renders.tumblr.com/post/6 ... each-other

That is mine. Not my blog. My second favorite shot, is of the parents ship on the stormy sea. the way it disapears under the waves so quickly, peacefully, and quietly with that almost gentle looking rain falling is just stunning.
taei
Special Edition

Post by taei »

I have to say, I was underwhelmed when I saw the movie, cinematography and camera-work wise.

I had high expectations, given how amazing Tarzan looked and that's what I thought this movie would be like... But it didn't. I find the angles and camera to slide between average and good. No scene was so visually stunning that it broke my concentration. Unlike Brave, where I completely fell in love with the shots.
"In every age, Family is king,
and the bravest journeys, are never taken alone."
-Brave.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I know it said she was born with it, but it's a pretty spectacular thing to be born with! Or if not have an origin story, then show something of Elsa growing up alone, on her parents well-meant wishes. Her story is just so sad.

And just because it isn't the main focus of the story doesn't mean there can't be chemistry between Anna and Kristoff, surely? That's like saying, "Oh we won't develop this persons character as they aren't the main focus". That doesn't need to happen at all I don't think in a well written story. I think maybe perhaps Kristoff's character was too...dull maybe? Especially when compared to Anna. And Flynn as well, he was a brilliant lead.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

TheBlibaBlob wrote:Does anyone else like For the First Time in Forever. I found it to be a really Disney classic like song, and I actually like it better than Let it Go. I love the violins in the background. Especially towards the end of the reprise.
For the First Time in Forever is the best song in the movie and one of the greatest Disney songs lately. Period.
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

taei wrote:
Warm Regards wrote:^Haha, clever.

Also on Tumblr, people are saying there are animation errors in the film. VISUAL SPOILERS IN THE LINK:

http://dumbass-slacker.tumblr.com/post/ ... looking-at

I think I see it... Kristoff's thumb goes through Anna's rib, and Elsa's braid goes through her shoulder. Or am I just seeing the low quality of the GIFs?

I can't see anything wrong with Elsa...

i can see the Kristoff thing. But the thing that bugged me the most, cause I noticed it... Is the un-rendered Olaf.... >__>
This film is under such a microscope it's ridiculous :lol:

I see both, though I don't think Elsa's is a mistake. I think it's either not what it looks like when picked apart like that, or it's intentionally defying logic for dramatic effect and to go with the song. The camera angles intentionally hide it in that case. Sometimes animation is about defying reality for the sake of art, and it's not noticeable at all during the actual scene anyway.

I wonder how obsessed tumblr would have been with picking apart every Disney movie if it existed long before now. Some of the characters in the Renaissance movies are so hilariously off model in some scenes, yet those are held in such high esteem. I've really noticed a lot more "mistakes" and animation shortcuts while watching any animated movie on blu-ray. It doesn't bother me at all. In fact, it reminds me that literally everything about the characters and worlds was created entirely by artists, who aren't perfect but pretty damn close. Impressive.
LADY Image CLUCK
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Yeah, cheats like this happen all the time in animation. Definitely more so in traditional animation, but that's not to say it can't be done to great effect in CG. There was a ton of cheating going on with Rapunzels hair. It is most certainly intentional. The Elsa one happens when her hair is out of sight, so it's done simply to add to the amazing fluidity of that shot. It works very well, I think, as you'd never see if there weren't a hundred gifs of it floating around.

The thing with Kristoffs thumb looks to be an honest mistake. Again, that happens in animation.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

unprincess wrote:
And what's wrong with Disney making modern films, I ask? What is this obsession the fans have with only the fairytale/princess films?
I don't understand it. Sure, Bolt was underwhelming, but Wreck It Ralph was really good, and surely the Marvel film will be very good.

If Disney only does princess films then the company gets boring.
I agree, Im actually looking forward to BH6 & Im surprised how much I liked Wreck it Ralph(since Im totally not a gamer.) Just as long as they stay away from making crap like Free Birds & Nut Job. :|
Films like those are why I don't consider myself an "animation fan". :)

Surely they were made by shitty Sony or Blue Sky. :D
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

I don't know why Tumblr is so obsessed with trashing out on this movie: that it's sexist, that it has bad animation, blah blah blah...

Next week they'll complain about how Kristoff's hair out of his hat is "historically incorrect" or some bs like that.

Big One, I definitely thought Elsa's powers were a metaphor for disabilities! More than anything else, because of her interactions with people around her: not liking when others touch her, when stressed/afraid her powers get even worse, driving loved ones away without meaning it...

Many people with social anxieties have passed through any of these things.
frankf3
Gold Classic Collection

Post by frankf3 »

I think we will be getting a Frozen short in the future, but it will probably be Olaf centered though.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

frankf3 wrote:I think we will be getting a Frozen short in the future, but it will probably be Olaf centered though.
Yes, I can really see that coming. Something along the lines of Tangled Ever After, with Maximus & Pascal taking the lead, as would Sven and Olaf.

I still would like something based on Elsa though, I want to see more of her.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Korean Poster. It's almost identical to the Blu-ray cover:

Source: http://disneyfrozen.tumblr.com/post/693 ... n-poster-x

First “For your consideration” ad:

Source: http://www.awardsdaily.com/FYC/gallery/ ... hp?id=3137
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

The Academy Award will flock to that picture they like the dramaness out of something.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Disney has released Olaf's song on Youtube in a Sing Along Mode

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnEB2F_v_cE[/youtube]
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx