Frozen: Part V

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Re: Frozen: Part V

Post by Musical Master »

Coolmanio wrote:Color me surprised... Slant actually gave the movie a decent score. Not as great as the rest of them, but as a whole, the review is positive towards the film, and counts towards a "Fresh" score on RT.

Oh, and there is some weird paragraphs in the middle comparing Elsa's journey to a drag queens. I also do think that the overall rating was a little too harsh, but hey, it's Slant.

http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/review/frozen-2013
Slant is filled with critics that are hard to please, I'm happy that they were still positive all in all in places.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

That Slant article bashes the Disney princesses as waiting for a man to rescue them. The princesses mentioned are Ariel and Cinderella. After making newer movies with independent princesses they are still labeled bad for little girls. Man, they really come off as snobs. Also they bring up the irksome issue that Disney is not diverse enough. They even say that Arendelle's theme sounds like something from Africa. Man, and they have the gull to call Disney insensitive to other cultures. For their information Disney put some good work into researching Norway for this movie and that so called African sound theme is actually based on Norwegian folk music.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Wow, that review was stupid as heck.

BTW: A LOT of new footage

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAglXjYq-RQ[/youtube]
Coolmanio
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Coolmanio »

jazzflower92 wrote:That Slant article bashes the Disney princesses as waiting for a man to rescue them. The princesses mentioned are Ariel and Cinderella. After making newer movies with independent princesses they are still labeled bad for little girls. Man, they really come off as snobs. Also they bring up the irksome issue that Disney is not diverse enough. They even say that Arendelle's theme sounds like something from Africa. Man, and they have the gull to call Disney insensitive to other cultures. For their information Disney put some good work into researching Norway for this movie and that so called African sound theme is actually based on Norwegian folk music.
Don't read too much into it. For Slant, this was a good review in terms of a Disney movie.

Remember, these are the people who gave a thumbs down to "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs"
Need your daily fix of Disney articles and reviews? Head on over to Animation Admiration for countdowns, reviews, impressions, and articles on Disney, Anime, and everything in between!
http://www.animationadmiration.blogspot.com
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

This has got to be one of my favorite gifs from this movie ever:

:lol:
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

Warm Regards wrote:This has got to be one of my favorite gifs from this movie ever:

rotfl

She looks like Helena Bonham Carter there!
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

Floyd Norman praised the film.
I’m sure “Frozen” will delight audiences when it opens this month. The motion picture is amazing in so many ways and has its own aura of Disney magic. It’s hardly the kind of film the Old Maestro would have made because it has it’s own contemporary take on the Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale. I initially feared the film would leave me cold, but it only took the marvelous opening sequence to warm me up.
http://floydnormancom.squarespace.com/b ... ng-the-ice
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

qindarka wrote:Floyd Norman praised the film.
I’m sure “Frozen” will delight audiences when it opens this month. The motion picture is amazing in so many ways and has its own aura of Disney magic. It’s hardly the kind of film the Old Maestro would have made because it has it’s own contemporary take on the Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale. I initially feared the film would leave me cold, but it only took the marvelous opening sequence to warm me up.
http://floydnormancom.squarespace.com/b ... ng-the-ice
:shock: :shock: !!

Wow, I'm quite suprised that Floyd really liked it! :D :D :D :D
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
qindarka
Special Edition

Post by qindarka »

Musical Master wrote: :shock: :shock: !!

Wow, I'm quite suprised that Floyd really liked it! :D :D :D :D
It isn't all that surprising. He may complain a lot about the executives and the lack of traditional animation but he will give these films a fair shake. He really liked Tangled and Wreck-it-Ralph as well.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Warm Regards wrote:This has got to be one of my favorite gifs from this movie ever:

Haha, I agree.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Last edited by D82 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

The houses on 0:22 are from my hometown, Bergen. Yay! I'm so proud.

And little Sven looks so cute.
Mach Full Force
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mach Full Force »

I kinda wanna see someone draw her as some sort of punk rocker with that 'do.
"Maybe you live in a golden cage, but a golden cage is still a cage."
~Juan Carlos Bodoque, 31 Minutos: La Película
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

How Disney Brought Warmth to a Villainous Snow Queen
“In early versions, Elsa the Snow Queen character was more of a villain,” Peter Del Vecho, producer, tells D23 about Walt Disney Animation Studios’ evolution of the Frozen story. “It was very hard to relate to her and understand why she was doing what she was doing.”
https://d23.com/frozen-elsa-directors-snow-queen/

Disney D23 on Facebook (large picture of Elsa):
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
frankf3
Gold Classic Collection

Post by frankf3 »

New Frozen review from the Schmoes Know, they both really liked it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cmnXE11OlE[/youtube]
PrincessElsa
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PrincessElsa »

And again, with one, lone bit of distaste mentioned -- the twist.

It seems to be a polarizing element. But at least it doesn't ruin people's impressions of what they otherwise do like in the film.
Edthehyena
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Edthehyena »

Prince Edward wrote:How Disney Brought Warmth to a Villainous Snow Queen
“In early versions, Elsa the Snow Queen character was more of a villain,” Peter Del Vecho, producer, tells D23 about Walt Disney Animation Studios’ evolution of the Frozen story. “It was very hard to relate to her and understand why she was doing what she was doing.”
https://d23.com/frozen-elsa-directors-snow-queen/
Bullshit. Disney are manipulating us. Beast had so much of a "villain", and audience related to him so much... Disney was just too coward to make Elsa a more dramatic, more ambiguous, more complex character. So the Elsa we have now is just a very afraid, weeping and weak, fragile character. She's almost never threatening, gloriously powerful nor regal... that's a pity :x
Alphapanchito
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Alphapanchito »

PrincessElsa wrote:And again, with one, lone bit of distaste mentioned -- the twist.

It seems to be a polarizing element. But at least it doesn't ruin people's impressions of what they otherwise do like in the film.
Yeah, that's the thing. It is a little odd to watch. But I'm 100% okay with that. It's just another weird little thing that makes you wonder "why did they do that..? it's just so odd". Most Disney movies have at least one moment like that. The lyrics "every moment red letter" in Aladdin, for example. I think when Anna says "don't know if i'm elated or gassy" is another weird one to watch in context. I don't know, for me these weird things add to the charm of the movie, with repeat viewings.

Now i know the twist is a little different from something like the lyrics of a song because it is a part of the plot, but, I kinda like that. I like that the twist seems not as well thought out and developed as the real point of the story, Elsa and Anna's relationship and character development. I might be overthinking this, but I think the movie so perfectly executes these things, and I like that everything else takes the back seat. It just emphasizes the main point that much more. It doesn't really matter what danger they are facing, but how they react to it.

I mean I know that may not be the most effective way to make a movie, but I really like the outcome. So much so that it is probably my favorite post Walt movie next to TLM, as I have already explained. I think they did something great here.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The same behind the scenes video in better quality:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQscn0sINGo[/youtube]

Screencaps of Elsa from the “Frozen: Deluxe Storybook” App:

http://kioewen.tumblr.com/post/66995939 ... ps-of-elsa
tomakpo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by tomakpo »

Is Elsa singing in those pictures? Is she singing For the First Time In Forever Reprise, Let It Go, or what?