Characters Other People Consider Villains But You Don't

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Dominicboo

Characters Other People Consider Villains But You Don't

Post by Dominicboo »

Have you ever noticed how many characters are labelled villains, but aren't really so bad? I don't really understand why certain characters are labelled as evil.
Cheshire Cat(Alice in Wonderland):He's michevious sure, but he doesn't really mean Alice any harm. He just is a michevious and practical joker character
Anton Ego(Ratatoille):He's just a critic! He knows what he likes and doesn't like, so he's pretty hard to label a villain. I mean he does what most people do. We didn't consider Siskel and Ebert to be villains when they didn't like a movie we liked, so why is Anton considered by some to be a villain?
Dean Hardscrabble (Monsters University)Again she's a headmaster, and wants her students to succed, and doesn't put up with cheaitng. That's just how good teachers are. Sure she's a little mean to Mike, but Princess Atta was a jerk to Flik in A Bug's Life, and she's not a villain! Good guys don't have to be perfect..it's just intentions that makes a villain......so what about you? Are there any villains that have you wonder why they're labelled as such?
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Re: Characters Other People Consider Villains But You Don't

Post by Musical Master »

Johnny Worthington also enters my mind when it comes to Monsters University. I love the fact that while Johnny is indeed a big jerk in the movie and did create a prank for OK after two lucky wins, he is not a villian that goes out of his way to make our main characters miserable 24/7 and the fact that he and Roar Omega Roar for the whole movie played fair in the games and never resorted to a low like cheating (An Extremely Goofy Movie anyone?). Plus there is a lot of pressure on his shoulders due to his family legacy of great scarers so there's that as well.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

God, An Extremely Goofy Movie suuucked. I hated that stupid rival character. :)

Otoh I think Ches is cool.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

thedisneyspirit wrote:God, An Extremely Goofy Movie suuucked. I hated that stupid rival character. :)

Otoh I think Ches is cool.
That's why I was quite relieved that Johnny Worthington is no Bradley Uppercrust (that Johnny of course plays fair and he has that pressure that I mentioned).
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Frank and Ollie's villains book labeled Brer Bear, Fox, and RABBIT as all villains.

Bear and Fox I understand, but not Rabbit. He was more of a Bugs Bunny-type character, where he used his quick wits to outsmart his opponents, but was otherwise not out to hurt anyone.

They also listed Colonel Haiti from The Jungle Book as a villain. Hard-nosed as he was, he was not posing any real threat to anyone. Haiti only needed a nudge from Wilfred, as well as his son to loosen up a bit.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Princess Atta was a jerk to Flik in A Bug's Life, and she's not a villain!
People who say that need to watch A Bug's Life again or perhaps rather for the first time as if someone took away that at the end of the movie that Princess Atta was a villain, they need to have their head examined. Actually I don't think I've heard that take away before to be honest. Who says this? :?

King Louie would be another example of a character I don't consider a villain

Chesire Cat I agree with isn't quite a villain.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
frankf3
Gold Classic Collection

Post by frankf3 »

Auto from Wall-E, just following his directive.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I've seen Gantu from Lilo & Stitch referred to as a villain, but he's not really. He is just somebody assigned by the Federation to catch essentially a wanted criminal (and let's face it, Stitch was one before Lilo turned him good as further explored in one partially animated deleted scene).

Lilo & Stitch doesn't really have any villains, when you get down to it. Just obstacles in the characters' way. I was rather annoyed when Gantu was basically turned into a vengeful villain in the television series.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
DVDBuff1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DVDBuff1 »

disneyboy20022 wrote:
People who say that need to watch A Bug's Life again or perhaps rather for the first time as if someone took away that at the end of the movie that Princess Atta was a villain, they need to have their head examined. Actually I don't think I've heard that take away before to be honest. Who says this? :?
No one said that. The OP was referring to the fact that people sometimes have been referring to the dean from Monsters University as a villain, and to defend that statement, Dominicboo compared her to Princess Atta in personality.

Anyway, I'm surprised no one mentioned Amos Slade from Fox & the Hound. Even though he comes off a threat to Todd, and breaks the no hunting law in the forest at the end, I wouldn't compare him to say Maleficent or Frollo in terms of diabolically evil.
Miss Manday
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Miss Manday »

I have a soft spot for Anastasia and Drizella (I work in WDW Entertainment, cough) and I feel like their mother is more the villain then they are. They are doing what they have been raised to do. They treat Cinderella as mother does. They have been spoiled by mother. But perhaps in a different setting, they could be redeemed. We know that Anastasia is, from the sequels. Perhaps Drizella isn't so far gone either.
admin of Mouse Ears // find me on Moviepilot!
Image Image Image
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

*Mor'du from Brave (It wasn't his fault that he attacked Merida and Eleanor, he was 100% a bear)
*The Witch from Brave (She really didn't know what the harm she was doing. My mom and I also agreed that she was pretty much pointless.)
*Taffya and the SR Racers (They were pretty much under Turbo's control)
*Chuck from Cars (the first one) and the Italian guy from Cars 2
*Darla from Finding Nemo (She's just a kid)
*The bullies from Monster's U. (The worst thing they did was putting those stuff on Mike and Sully and the group)
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

disneyprincess11 wrote:*Mor'du from Brave (It wasn't his fault that he attacked Merida and Eleanor, he was 100% a bear)
*The Witch from Brave (She really didn't know what the harm she was doing. My mom and I also agreed that she was pretty much pointless.)
*Taffya and the SR Racers (They were pretty much under Turbo's control)
*Chuck from Cars (the first one) and the Italian guy from Cars 2
*The bullies from Monster's U. (The worst thing they did was putting those stuff on Mike and Sully and the group)
The characters from Monsters University is the fraternity Roar Omega Roar and yes the only bad thing they did was the prank for possible competitive reasons.
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:*
Her just being a kid is no excuse. Kids should be taught right from wrong. That's what is wrong with the world nowadays. She needed her fat little fanny paddled.
Walmart: the perfect place to shop for a headache at a discount price.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Musical Master wrote:That's why I was quite relieved that Johnny Worthington is no Bradley Uppercrust (that Johnny of course plays fair and he has that pressure that I mentioned).

I dunno, I felt the Goofy sequel could have worked well, since it's got elements here and there that could be interesting (Goofy getting a girlfriend, PJ leaving his abusive dad...), but the movie sucked since they turned Max into an ass and spent too much time with the goddamn Games storyline.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

thedisneyspirit wrote:
Musical Master wrote:That's why I was quite relieved that Johnny Worthington is no Bradley Uppercrust (that Johnny of course plays fair and he has that pressure that I mentioned).

I dunno, I felt the Goofy sequel could have worked well, since it's got elements here and there that could be interesting (Goofy getting a girlfriend, PJ leaving his abusive dad...), but the movie sucked since they turned Max into an ass and spent too much time with the goddamn Games storyline.
What confuses me the most about the Goofy sequel is that wasn't the first film supposed to established the healed relationship between Max and Goofy but in here why do they have to do it all over again but in a college setting?

What did you think of Johnny Worthington from Monsters University?

Oh and another aspect about Johnny that I liked compared to other college characters like him is that he does have a set of standards (maybe way to high for others to live up to but hey it's better than having none of it).
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Musical Master wrote:I dunno, I felt the Goofy sequel could have worked well, since it's got elements here and there that could be interesting (Goofy getting a girlfriend, PJ leaving his abusive dad...), but the movie sucked since they turned Max into an ass and spent too much time with the goddamn Games storyline.
What confuses me the most about the Goofy sequel is that wasn't the first film supposed to established the healed relationship between Max and Goofy but in here why do they have to do it all over again but in a college setting?

What did you think of Johnny Worthington from Monsters University?

Oh and another aspect about Johnny that I liked compared to other college characters like him is that he does have a set of standards (maybe way to high for others to live up to but hey it's better than having none of it).[/quote]

I haven't seen yet Monsters U. Have no interest. =P

But yeah, writers are really lazy when it comes to Max, and they repeat the same scenario of "Goofy does something stupid and Max is embarassed of his dad". They did the same thing in the CGI Christmas movie.
Dominicboo

Post by Dominicboo »

disneyboy20022 wrote:

King Louie would be another example of a character I don't consider a villain

Chesire Cat I agree with isn't quite a villain.
No no no I'm not saying Atta is thought to be a villain, I'm saying she acts a little like Hardscrabble acts but nobody calls her evil!
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Personally, I don't see how Cheshire Cat qualifies as a villain. Sure, he got Alice in trouble here and there, but I doubt he was doing it for the sake of being malicious.

And Johnny Worthington does come off as a prick, but I do know that he's the furthest thing from vindictive.
disneyftw1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneyftw1 »

... funny, to say that "Man" in Bambi can be considered the antagonist, but yet again, when looking at the antagonist's side... he wasn't planning to make revenge to the forest. He's probably just out there for sport. Sure he ends up killing the poor creatures, but again, for sport. ... or something else. Either way, he didn't know how much harm we're bringing to Bambi's life.
I couldn't be the only one that thinks that it's Amos Slade of Fox/Hound. The time when he brought Copper that one winter time? ... probably him.
... though, the shooter shouldn't had killed the mother. You should never kill a mother, ESPECIALLY when a youngling is practically right next to the mother! ... what an idiot.

Also, wait the chesire cat was considered a villain? ... How?
This is DisneyFTW1, a former Youtube account that was terminated by Disney themselves. My current Youtube Account is FilmFTW2 (FilmFTW1 was terminated). Youtube sucks when it comes to film uploads, and it sucks even more when major corporations are following your channels. But what can I do?
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

disneyftw, ive always thought it was amos that shot tods mother. the dog barking sounds like chief.
big kid at heart