Disney Animation on Blu-ray in 2013

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Re: Disney Animation on Blu-ray in 2013

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

After thinking about it, I bet the reason they keep delaying Alardin is because they're giving it the 3D treatment for home release. One can only hope!
Walmart: the perfect place to shop for a headache at a discount price.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

tlc38tlc38 wrote:After thinking about it, I bet the reason they keep delaying Alardin is because they're giving it the 3D treatment for home release. One can only hope!
I'd say the Broadway debut will have more to do with it.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

tlc38tlc38 wrote:I bet the reason they keep delaying Alardin is because they're giving it the 3D treatment for home release.
There is zero indication that Aladdin will be getting the 3D treatment. There haven't been any rumors or reports or anything of the sort. The fans just want this to happen so bad, they just made it up.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

Yeah, both The Jungle Book and Aladdin are set to make major stage debuts next year (Aladdin on Broadway for sure), so Disney is timing those all to coincide in 2014.

also, looks like we're getting a red spine on SatS...
SwordInTheStone777
Special Edition

Post by SwordInTheStone777 »

DancingCrab wrote:Yeah, both The Jungle Book and Aladdin are set to make major stage debuts next year (Aladdin on Broadway for sure), so Disney is timing those all to coincide in 2014.

also, looks like we're getting a red spine on SatS...
I like the red spine, it goes very well with the blue, it gives it a royal feel. All the cover needs now to complete is for it say Walt Disney's and it would be perfect.

The Jungle Book and Aladdin are going to be great on Broadway, can't wait to see how that will turn out. I'd love to see Bedknobs And Broomsticks, and Pete's Dragon get the Broadway treatment as well, those two films where made for Broadway.
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

I wonder why the "G" film rating is on the covers of Robin Hood and Oliver. I'm looking at the covers that are on amazon for the movies. Sword in the stone doesn't have it.
Walmart: the perfect place to shop for a headache at a discount price.
SwordInTheStone777
Special Edition

Post by SwordInTheStone777 »

tlc38tlc38 wrote:I wonder why the "G" film rating is on the covers of Robin Hood and Oliver. I'm looking at the covers that are on amazon for the movies. Sword in the stone doesn't have it.
I think the G is from a paper copy that you would find in the newspaper ads on the weekend from Best Buy or Target.
lttlguy8656

Post by lttlguy8656 »

Most Blu-Ray/DVD releases fall on Tuesdays, and next year August 27 falls on a Tuesday and happens to be 50 years to the day since Mary Poppins premiered. I'm just putting that out into the universe....
"Practically perfect in every way!"
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

lttlguy8656 wrote:Most Blu-Ray/DVD releases fall on Tuesdays, and next year August 27 falls on a Tuesday and happens to be 50 years to the day since Mary Poppins premiered. I'm just putting that out into the universe....
That's a huuuuge delay compared to the December 9 release the Middle East is getting. They may not wanna wait for the Anniversary
stevemcqueen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stevemcqueen »

lttlguy8656 wrote:Most Blu-Ray/DVD releases fall on Tuesdays, and next year August 27 falls on a Tuesday and happens to be 50 years to the day since Mary Poppins premiered. I'm just putting that out into the universe....
August 27 2014 is on Wednesday, this year is falls on a Tuesday :)
lttlguy8656

Post by lttlguy8656 »

stevemcqueen wrote:
August 27 2014 is on Wednesday, this year is falls on a Tuesday :)
Well, shoot.
"Practically perfect in every way!"
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Does this show us how the new restoration for 'The Sword in the Stone' will look like? I really hope so!
The Forbidden Douchebag

Post by The Forbidden Douchebag »

Well you guys are in for a hoot and a holler. I got to take a peek at the new Disney canon/cheapquel packs in a local public warehouse yesterday. Lilo and Stitch and Emperor's New Groove did not display any extras on the packaging while only Atlantis did. Just today on the Blu-Ray.com forum it only confirms it:
And you can all be glad that you held onto your special edition DVDs, as it's on the most vanilla disc imaginable. I'm not kidding, and never thought Disney would sink this low. There's no extras whatsoever, not even any trailers, just static menus and the two movies, on a plain disc with no artwork. But the two DVDs included (which are stacked in the case but mine turned up in perfect condition) are the exact same as before. L&S is Disc 1 of the SE and L&S2 is still the same previous L&S2 disc, so you do get some extras. Just none on the Blu-ray. And at least there is still a slipcover.
Nothing has been said about Emperor's New Groove yet but I have to assume it has been given the same treatment. Buyer beware.

Original Blu-Ray.com forum post: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p ... tcount=146
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

:down:

The fact that they just use disc 1 of a 2-disc set is soooo sad. Disney is sinking lower and lower by the second.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Aww... And to think I abstained from purchasing the Lilo & Stitch: Collector's Edition all these years because I thought Disney would port over the bonus features on the BD. Lame.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

UmbrellaFish wrote:Aww... And to think I abstained from purchasing the Lilo & Stitch: Collector's Edition all these years because I thought Disney would port over the bonus features on the BD. Lame.
They still have it on Amazon for $12.96.

http://www.amazon.com/Lilo-Stitch-Two-D ... ve+edition
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

UmbrellaFish wrote:Aww... And to think I abstained from purchasing the Lilo & Stitch: Collector's Edition all these years because I thought Disney would port over the bonus features on the BD. Lame.
Same here. Someone on Blu-ray.com's forum listed the supplements off of Atlantis' menu. It looks to have all of the video features ported over except for "Digital Production Tests" (6 minutes), "Vehicle Size Comparison" (1 minute), 3-D turnarounds of all the different CG vehicles, and four trailers (6 minutes). Considering what happened with Lilo and Emperor, I can live without the 15-some-odd minutes of dropped supplements, especially since Atlantis isn't even one of my favorites (unlike the other two).

It's very odd how hit-or-miss these non-Diamonds are. Of all the (feature animation) 2-Disc DVD sets, Alice in Wonderland, Mulan, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, and Brother Bear made a smooth supplemental transition to BD, but The Emperor's New Groove and Lilo & Stitch get ignored, and I have a feeling Tarzan will, too. Add to that the lack of porting over The Hunchback of Notre Dame's laserdisc supplements (which will probably happen to Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros, too) and the Virtual Vault nightmare with Pocahontas, and I really do have to wonder what Disney uses as a litmus test for each of these releases.

Luckily for me, I own all of the 2-disc DVD releases save for Lilo (which I'll now have to seek out), so I just toss out the included DVD copies and put the original 2-discers in their place. Unfortunately, not everyone is so lucky. Why can't every catalogue title be like Fox's The Sound of Music, a release that was almost ridiculous in how much content from BOTH LD and DVD it carried over to BD?
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

EDIT: Epic double post fail :p
Last edited by Wonderlicious on Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Has anyone else here actually really cut back on buying catalogue Disney Blu-Rays because of their diminishing quality? The only non-Platinum/Diamond Disney Blu-Rays I own are Fantasia/Fantasia 2000, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo and Tangled (plus some Pixar stuff - though that's sorta different). I really would love to own some of the other films on Blu-Ray, but don't see much incentive given the relatively high cost and the fact that I already have the films on DVD complete with glanced-over things like DVD galleries (the UK Disney Blu-Rays no longer come with an extra DVD or digital copy to boot). I'll admit that I skipped many of the "[Insert silly title] Editions" of certain films on DVD as I didn't see much point replacing the original DVD editions from 2000-2003 for similar reasons. Considering this is a jump from one format to an even better format, I find that worrying.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

Yes, I went from planning to buy all the WDAS "classics" on blu-ray to now just buying the films I really like and using my DVD copies of the films I have to complete my collection. The packaging has become less attractive too and I never did warm up to the 2 movie collection series, so unless I was dying to own that film in HD, I didn't "upgrade".

Another problem with buying all of them are these bulk release dates. I really can't afford to shell out $80 every two months to grab up all the films, so I just pick one or two I must have and usually never get back around to getting the others. :shrug:

Hopefully by 2015, they should have released all of their animated films on blu, and will restart a new cycle of rereleases that are more attractive to the collector, since they will be pushing online streaming to the mainstream consumer.