What Disney movie did you just watch?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

What Disney movie did you just watch?

Post by DC Fan »

I know there used to be this post here.

Can´t find it so I opened this one.

If in fact, there´s one (I used the search and found nothing) link this post to that one.

Ok, my latest movies have been:

-Snow White: A movie I never liked. Skipped during the Platinum DVD series and finally decided to get it used then and now on BR. The more I watched the more it grew on me. The animation to this point is beautiful and fluid. Snow White´s dress iconic. The Evil Queen is amazing. The dwarfs quite charming.

Snow White´s movements seem too theatrical but in a way helps you to remind that era.

The only real faults I find are Snow´s and Prince´s voice. The first one especially for been to irritating.

But to this day is still very enjoyable.

-Sleeping Beauty: As said in other post it was the first time I truly liked the film. The style is gorgeous. The fairies are delightful. Maleficent is just unbelievable. And I do like Aurora and Phillip.

-Cinderella: This time I found the mice stories dragging the film too much. And it is a first for me since I thought that they carried the film better than the dwarfs did on SW. But it was the only way to bring boys to the movie as well and there had to be a way to stretch the story. The characters are all great. The animation is nice. The music very good.

What I don´t like are the backgrounds. Extremely simple and lacking. I especially dislike them on the So This is Love song. One of the most important moments in the film and the characters basically are in black backgrounds.

-The Princess and the Frog: So many faults in this movie; sadly. Don´t like the sidekicks characters at all. Way too much music; up until Dr. Facilier song is great. The rest are just pushing it and on top of that are not good. By the time the action takes place in the swamp I´m not interested anymore in what happens. I don´t care for Tiana or Naveen and there´s no way to know or believe when they fall in love. Plus, the ending and how Tiana becomes a princess makes no sense.

I do like the movie up until the swamp as I said; from story to songs. And I find Charlotte as a character great. Not only is she fun and funny but despite her faults she´s a very good person. Even tough she was rich she still treated Tiana like her friend and cared for her. To the point where she was actually happy for Tiana; despite that she didn´t get the prince...and that´s saying a lot.
Last edited by DC Fan on Sat May 25, 2013 7:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Re: What Disney movie did you just watched?

Post by Patrick »

DC Fan wrote:-Cinderella: This time I found the mice stories dragging the film too much. And it is a first for me since I thought that they carried the film better than the dwarfs did on SW. But it was the only way to bring boys to the movie as well and there had to be a way to stretch the story. The characters are all great. The animation is nice. The music very good.

What I don´t like is the backgrounds. Extremely simple and lacking. I especially dislike them on the So This is Love song. One of the most important moments in the film and the characters basically are in black backgrounds.
What? :o Cinderella's art direction is beautiful, much stronger than most Disney films! And I'm not sure what you're referring to with the black backgrounds? The couple moves from the castle, to the courtyard, towards a forest... at what point are the backgrounds simple?
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

the latest movie that i saw was Sleeping beauty because i'm making with a friend a marathon of the disney princesses movies :p
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

Snow White and I loved it ! I don't think I've seen it since I was about nine or ten years old and it was just really touching <3
Thumper_93 wrote:the latest movie that i saw was Sleeping beauty because i'm making with a friend a marathon of the disney princesses movies :p
Oh nice ! I plan to re-watch Sleeping Beauty next ! <3

Edit - Oh I also re-watched Aladdin for the millionth time. It's getting to stage where I need to give it a break because it's just been way too much.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Patrick:

Cinderella doesn´t have the same level of care and attention to details in the backgrounds as Sleeping Beauty or even Snow White (from 1937).

And yes, I was talking about those scenes you mentioned.

BTW, really thought there was a post for this. I´m glad I created it then. :)
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Re: What Disney movie did you just watch?

Post by carolinakid »

I just watched Song of the South with a friend who's going to WDW for the first time so that she could better appreciate and "get" Splash Mountain. The film is a pure delight!
WilbyDaniels
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WilbyDaniels »

I just started my marathon for the third time: All disney films in order. I'm up tp Bambi.next- Victory through Air power.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Pocahontas:

Not one of my favorites and not one I watch often. The thing is, I wonder why because once I start I do enjoy it. My guess is that because it´s based on real people and the design for it is quite different. Also, the lack of memorable songs. Aside from Colors of the Wind and Savages I don´t like the rest of them. What I do like is the color palette used. If you pay attention the 2 most prominent ones are blue and pink.

Tarzan:

Kind of have the same problem that with Pocahontas. Not a movie I watch often but that I end up liking. Also, I´ve never been interested in the Tarzan story. So that plays a huge part of the reason I don´t watch it as much. However, the animation is incredible (to me the most fluid of all Classics) and it blends perfectly with the CGI. The soundtrack is all right. And thanks to the pop style of the songs and that they´re not sung by the characters makes the movie much more enjoyable.

BTW, the BR to me is the most offensive and disrespectful Disney has done.

Yes, Pocahontas is lacking but at least includes interesting extras.

For Hunchback it´s a shame but al least we know that not even on DVD included anything.

But come on, what happened with all the Special Features of Tarzan from the Collector´s Edition? Even the menu for the BR is the fixed image of the regular DVD.

...at least I got it really cheap since it doesn´t deserve to pay full price for it.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I watched about half of Treasure Planet at a friend's house the other night. We got distracted and did other things though, so we didn't get to finish it. We did, however, end up watching Thor in full instead.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

DC Fan wrote:Cinderella: This time I found the mice stories dragging the film too much. And it is a first for me since I thought that they carried the film better than the dwarfs did on SW. But it was the only way to bring boys to the movie as well and there had to be a way to stretch the story. The characters are all great. The animation is nice. The music very good.

What I don´t like are the backgrounds. Extremely simple and lacking. I especially dislike them on the So This is Love song. One of the most important moments in the film and the characters basically are in black backgrounds.
I thought I was the only one who thought the mice really helped bring boys to like Cinderella, so I'm glad you said that. Even though I think boys can like the rest of the film as well, of course.

But yea as Patrick said, the art direction is great, but like you said, it could have had more care and detail like Sleeping Beauty and Snow White. But So This is Love is especially beautiful!
Last edited by Disney Duster on Sat May 25, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

My Neighbor Totoro the other night & Howl's Moving Castle right now. Both are beautiful in blu ray. :up:
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

The Rescuers

I believe this is the best movie that was made in that dark era. The Great Mouse Detective is great as well but is not as "complete" as Rescuers. What I mean is that here you have a nice little story with feeling (since you get to actually feel for Penny). Also, the whole presentation is very well done with all these characters that click together.

Have to mention that this movie is one you must see at night. The dark atmosphere, the colors used, the mystery and the slow pace makes it perfect to watch at night. If you watch it in daytime looses that atmosphere.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

The last film I watched was Fantasia. I rarely ever put it on, but I was in a mood to see the “Rite of Spring” sequence during a thunderstorm.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Yes, Fantasia is not for everybody´s taste.

To me is very hard to watch as well. Heck, I have the BR since it came out and haven´t been able to watch it since.

Still, once I get into it I end up liking it a lot.

Fantasia 2000 is different since it´s shorter.

To me is like you said. A movie perfect to watch on rainy days.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Old Yeller

This film never gets old. Even if you have seen it a thousand times, you still well up when Travis has to shoot the dog. (Sorry for the spoiler!) This film has a first rate cast headed by Fess Parker, Dorothy McGuire, Jeff York, Kevin Corcoran, Tommy Kirk and Chuck Connors.

Song of the South

Just finished watching this as a family. It is just a totally amazing movie and more so because Disney has not seen fit to release an authorized version to the general public. James Baskett as Uncle Remus is the main character and also features Bobby Driscoll and Luana Patten as the children. This movie just makes me laugh and cry in the same breath. It is a wonderful story and the music is unforgettable.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
kylemj
Limited Issue

Post by kylemj »

Pocahontas
Watched this early this morning and must say after not owning it as a child (or even seeing it) its becoming one of my favourite Disney movies. Great music great picture!
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

I never understood why so many people have a problem with Snow White's voice. Her speaking voice is very pleasant, imo. I think she sounds a lot like Marilyn Monroe. And her singing voice isn't bad it reflects the time period. The only time I could see how her voice as annoying is when she sings "And the birds will SIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG!" in Someday My Prince Will Come. Other than that her voice is fine imo. Also the prince arguably has the best male singing voice in Disney.

Last Disney movie I saw was Tangled. I watched it with my cousin she is literally obsessed with the movie. She is 4 and always wants to act out the movie. She is Rapunzel and has a little Pascal doll. I play the dual role of Gothel and Flynn. Fun times.
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

DC Fan wrote:Yes, Fantasia is not for everybody´s taste.
Yeah it's one of my least favourite Disney movies, though most people seem to love it. I feel like I'm missing something here. It felt dull as a child and a waste of time as an adult.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Jay wrote:I never understood why so many people have a problem with Snow White's voice. Her speaking voice is very pleasant, imo. I think she sounds a lot like Marilyn Monroe. And her singing voice isn't bad it reflects the time period. The only time I could see how her voice as annoying is when she sings "And the birds will SIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG!" in Someday My Prince Will Come. Other than that her voice is fine imo. Also the prince arguably has the best male singing voice in Disney.

Last Disney movie I saw was Tangled. I watched it with my cousin she is literally obsessed with the movie. She is 4 and always wants to act out the movie. She is Rapunzel and has a little Pascal doll. I play the dual role of Gothel and Flynn. Fun times.

Do you really think SW´s voice is pleasant?

It is such a high pitch voice that bothers. So, when she starts singing is even worse.

If you look for info on SW you´ll see that mos reviewers will say so as well.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

DC Fan wrote:
Do you really think SW´s voice is pleasant?
You need to remember that this film was done back in the late 30's and not in the last 10 years. Also Adriana Casserotti, the young lady who voiced Snow White used her natural voice for the dialogue and the singing. She was a much sought after talent in Hollywood at the time, and her voice has been heard dubbed over lots of actresses who couldn't sing.

Snow White is one of my Top Three all-time favorite Disney movies. I watch it at least once a month, or more.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!