The Different Kinds of Disney Fans

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

About the hardcore 90's fans to be honest the only thing that really annoys me is how that they believe that the Lion King is the best, best movie ever made and if you disagree they'll burn your house down basically. Your basically Satan if you disagree that TLK isn't the best.

Imo Cinderella and Snow White are better and some others are going to believe that some other Disney movies are better too, not everybody is going to believe that the TLK is the greatest Disney movie ever made.

I remember when the Nostalgia Critic mentioned that TLK is overrated and most of the songs sucks. Oh my god...

I have to agree with the critic though, some of the songs within TLK are bland and not so good and yeah, it's overrated. But mention that in front of a hardcore 90's fan and they'll hunt you down with a axe.

I guess that the 90's kids are maybe the worst group....
Topher
Limited Issue

Post by Topher »

I'm a 90's kid, but to me that means anything re released in the 90's on VHS too. Aladdin still takes top place though!

And nothing screams 90's Disney like Peabo Bryson and random popular singer at the time singing over the end credits! Okay, it happened twice...
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

thelittleursula wrote:About the hardcore 90's fans to be honest the only thing that really annoys me is how that they believe that the Lion King is the best, best movie ever made and if you disagree they'll burn your house down basically. Your basically Satan if you disagree that TLK isn't the best.

Imo Cinderella and Snow White are better and some others are going to believe that some other Disney movies are better too, not everybody is going to believe that the TLK is the greatest Disney movie ever made.

I remember when the Nostalgia Critic mentioned that TLK is overrated and most of the songs sucks. Oh my god...

I have to agree with the critic though, some of the songs within TLK are bland and not so good and yeah, it's overrated. But mention that in front of a hardcore 90's fan and they'll hunt you down with a axe.

I'm a 90s kid, and most of what I've seen on the web is the stupid Simba/Kimba thing. I loved the movie, but I can take some criticisms. just not of the incredibly stupid kind.
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

im a 90s kid. when TLK came out, to me it was best thing since sliced bread. when the vhs finally came out, i watched it every day for a month. however, as a 90s adult, TLK is the last movie i will pick out, usually opting for the older classics or the more recent releases. i dont watch many from my childhood at all.
big kid at heart
Hogi Bear
Special Edition
Location: New Zealand - Population: 60+ Million Sheep Origin: Unknown

Post by Hogi Bear »

thelittleursula wrote:About the hardcore 90's fans to be honest the only thing that really annoys me is how that they believe that the Lion King is the best, best movie ever made and if you disagree they'll burn your house down basically. Your basically Satan if you disagree that TLK isn't the best..............

.......But mention that in front of a hardcore 90's fan and they'll hunt you down with a axe.

I'm a 90's kid as well and like sunhuntin, I got the VHS and watched it all the time, but it's not my favourite and I have only watched it a few times in the last 10 years.

Beauty and the Beast is my favourite from the 90's, but I wouldn't burn your house down for bad mouthing it, nope, ready the pitch forks and we'll use the magic mirror to find you. :D :P :twisted: See, we have class, much more than the Lion King crowd. :P
No signature needed - Kyoto Animation put out some beautiful animation
stitchje1981
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stitchje1981 »

I'm an 80's kid
The first movie I watched was when I was Oliver & Co., I was about 6 or 7, then The Little Meraid BLEW ME AWAY!!!
I even sang the songs constantly, were my parents cursed when it came out on video hahahahahahaha

Although I did like Sleeping Beauty A LOT when I was a kid!!!
Anyway The Little Mermaid is still my fav. 2D animation movie of Disney
Ursula stuck on me and she never let go

I never went to the movies again 'til The Lion King and I thought THIS IS IT!!! They can't top this, every other movie is gonna suck

It's a shame though, because ( years later) I saw Then Hunchback Of Notre Dame on the big screen ( already seen it like over and over when I had the DVD) but nothing is better then the big screen. I missed out on a lot of movies 'til....

I went again with Tarzan and wow I decided from that point on I was gonna go to every Disney movie that came out in the movies and, besides from Dinosaur, I did

I was hooked :D
Last edited by stitchje1981 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

A couple of newer types of Disney fans (that I perceive, anyway) that haven't been mentioned yet:

The Drama Queen Former 'Tween

This type of fan is relentlessly energetic, talks too loud ("at" rather than "to" people) and is very assertive -- basically someone who has absorbed the latter day Disney Channel manner and vibe. Like a high school drama club type. They appear to be totally into whatever is being marketed/hyped and collect pins and Vinylmation and engage in social media, but seem to have no particular interest in or knowledge of the actual films, animation, art, etc of Disney or Walt. They are the hype but not the substance of the company in its more recent form. Maybe they are just "Disney Channel" fans?

The Disney Expert Who Seems to Have No Actual Love for the Material

This is a more recent variety too. Folks who can rattle off all the cold facts and trivia about Disney, but have no special twinkle in their eye when discussing the subject or seem to have any passionate, personal love for the films or characters (as the older Walt Disney fans clearly do). Think public relations or D23. Or internet posters who hang out at Disney sites all the time, only to be rude to others who are clearly sincere in their love for the material. They ask questions about tearing down castles or wonder whether wishes are still relevant and argue that people can't tell the difference between good and bad animation, so it doesn't matter and defend budgets. Why do they like Disney, one wonders?

Slipcover Queen

Obsessed by the "official" lists of animated classics, whether a DVD has a slipcover or not and which maketing phrase has been used to denote the title (diamond, gold, platinum, zinc?) and which covers are being used and wants complete sets by marketing designation. Seems to accept the unlikely premise that Snow White and Chicken Little are even on the same list of "classics". But does she actually watch the movie or care what is inside the package? Who even knows?

Perhaps all of these are products of "corporate" Disney, rather than the "art" of Walt Disney or animation or theme parks -- and that is why they seem so different?
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

^ What you've just described above is really just modern Disney marketing. Artifical hype, a textbook approach to history and brand catagorizing that has no real point to it beyond a love for organizing stuff and piggybacking on previous successes. That some real people buy into it 100% is sad.

On a seperate topic, I'll never get Vinylmation myself. What's the point? You can't wear them like pins, they're too small to be visible when on display and there's not even a game element to them like Pogs or Pokemon. They're just dust collectors as far as I'm concerned. But they're "Disney" so people will buy them, I guess.
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

^Well, to be fair, some of the Vinylmations ARE pretty freaking cool. Like, when they make ones of obscure characters who never get ANY attention. When I saw they had released one of Professor Ratigan, it charmed the hell out of me and made me actually look into the line. He looks so smug and it SO fits the character. I thought, "Now, there's something I'm going to have to buy eventually."

Same with the Frollo, Gaston and several other of the villain ones. Maybe it's just because, as someone who collects villain merch, it's so rare to see several of those characters, but I can't help it, I like a lot of their Vinylmations. There are some, however, that I find hideous. (Jafar's comes to mind. :huh: )