The Great Mouse Detective on Blu-Ray

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disneyphile
Special Edition

The Great Mouse Detective on Blu-Ray

Post by Disneyphile »

On September 18, 2012, fans can experience Disney's greatest little mystery, in High Definition picture and sound, and go on a great big adventure as "The Great Mouse Detective" Mystery in the Mist Edition arrives on 2-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack and HD Digital.

When the diabolical Professor Ratigan - voiced by the late Vincent Price - kidnaps London's master toymaker, the brilliant Basil of Baker Street and his trusted sidekick Dawson - voiced by Barrie Ingham and Val Bettin respectively - try to elude the ultimate trap and foil the perfect crime. This family classic on Disney Blu-ray proves big heroes come in small packages.

This release will have the following Bonus Features:

"So You Think You Can Sleuth" - Viewers get an introduction to private investigating to kick off the "Great Mouse Detective" film.

"The World's Greatest Criminal Mind" Sing-A-Long Song - young fans can sing along with Vincent Price to the song's villainous vocals.

"The Making of the Great Mouse Detective" - In this bonus feature, fans get a behind the scenes look at this classic film.
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

Obviously, I'm REALLY excited about this. I just hope the picture and sound quality don't disappoint. I assume they'll be using the same transfer from the Mystery in the Mist DVD (which I never got around to getting, I already had the old DVD and didn't see the blu-ray coming too far behind)

The lack of extras is a let-down, but is unsurprising...Even if this weren't one of Disney's most overlooked classics, I doubt there'd be any noteworthy special features...I mean, look at all the recent releases!

(And it drops only two days after my birthday! Woo! :party: )
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

I must say Im surprised...I cant believe the amount of films Disney is releasing all at once...
Didn't it seem it took forever to get all the films on DVD, and now on BD it seems to be happening super fast...
seanjonmc
Limited Issue

Post by seanjonmc »

There was a pretty long break in DAC releases this year, no? I bought Lady and the Tramp in February and didn't buy another until the big August 21st date.

Anyway, can't wait to pick this up, love this movie.
Tae
Limited Issue

Post by Tae »

seanjonmc wrote:There was a pretty long break in DAC releases this year, no? I bought Lady and the Tramp in February and didn't buy another until the big August 21st date.

I know :/ I think releasing one or two of the August 21st titles over the summer would have been good, so there wasn't so few releases and then suddenly a flood of them. The only DAC's that came out between Lady and the Tramp and then the August 21st batch were the Lion King sequels, Treasure Planet, and Home on the Range, and those aren't exactly big sellers.

I'm exited for Great Mouse Detective, though, it's one of my favorites c:
seanjonmc
Limited Issue

Post by seanjonmc »

Tae wrote:
seanjonmc wrote:There was a pretty long break in DAC releases this year, no? I bought Lady and the Tramp in February and didn't buy another until the big August 21st date.

I know :/ I think releasing one or two of the August 21st titles over the summer would have been good, so there wasn't so few releases and then suddenly a flood of them. The only DAC's that came out between Lady and the Tramp and then the August 21st batch were the Lion King sequels, Treasure Planet, and Home on the Range, and those aren't exactly big sellers.

I'm exited for Great Mouse Detective, though, it's one of my favorites c:
Oh yeah, forgot about all those. :lol: I had no interest in buying any of them. If they weren't so overpriced, I'd consider paying up to $14.99 for Treasure Planet and Home on the Range, which is completely reasonable for C-list movies and a subpar release. As is, I will not be buying them.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Marce82 wrote:I must say Im surprised...I cant believe the amount of films Disney is releasing all at once...
Didn't it seem it took forever to get all the films on DVD, and now on BD it seems to be happening super fast...
no. The first couple years of DVD's life saw a stream of disney releases all at once.
Tae
Limited Issue

Post by Tae »

seanjonmc wrote:Oh yeah, forgot about all those. :lol: I had no interest in buying any of them. If they weren't so overpriced, I'd consider paying up to $14.99 for Treasure Planet and Home on the Range, which is completely reasonable for C-list movies and a subpar release. As is, I will not be buying them.
Haha, yeah, I forgot about them too xD I didn't even realize Treasure Planet had been released until I saw it at Wal-Mart a week or two ago. I do like Lion King 2 and Treasure Planet a lot, and I plan to get all four because I'm trying to get all of the DAC's on blu-ray (plus some of the sequels), but even then I'm waiting until I can find them on sale or something like that, since they're not a huge priority. And I need to grab several of the August 21st releases, like the Rescuers set and Pocahontas. I haven't seen The Rescuers since I was little, and Rescuers Down Under is a huge favorite of mine.
seanjonmc
Limited Issue

Post by seanjonmc »

Tae wrote:
seanjonmc wrote:Oh yeah, forgot about all those. :lol: I had no interest in buying any of them. If they weren't so overpriced, I'd consider paying up to $14.99 for Treasure Planet and Home on the Range, which is completely reasonable for C-list movies and a subpar release. As is, I will not be buying them.
Haha, yeah, I forgot about them too xD I didn't even realize Treasure Planet had been released until I saw it at Wal-Mart a week or two ago. I do like Lion King 2 and Treasure Planet a lot, and I plan to get all four because I'm trying to get all of the DAC's on blu-ray (plus some of the sequels), but even then I'm waiting until I can find them on sale or something like that, since they're not a huge priority. And I need to grab several of the August 21st releases, like the Rescuers set and Pocahontas. I haven't seen The Rescuers since I was little, and Rescuers Down Under is a huge favorite of mine.
I bought The Aristocats, Rescuers/Down Under and Pocahontas. So far I've only watched The Rescuers, and I thought it looked great. It's actually a very good movie IMO, and I think it's underrated. I'd recommend that Blu-ray to any Disney fan.
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

Amazon.com has changed the release date on the page for this to October 9, 2012.
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

zackisthewalrus wrote:Amazon.com has changed the release date on the page for this to October 9, 2012.
What?! Oh, come on! :(

Anyways, considering the good restoration job with the 2010 DVD, I'm pretty much expecting the same thing on the Blu-ray, only more up-scaled. ;)
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

NO!!!! Unless this has been pushed back in order to give it some actual special features (like, oh, I don't know, a substantial making-of, deleted scenes, a director's or animator's commentary) which I seriously doubt, this is utter rubbish! :x
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Oh, no! We have to wait a couple of extra weeks! How dare they! Save the children or it will be too late!

:roll:
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

Still scheduled for 19 Sept for Australia... hope that doesn't change though!
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

Yeeeesss !

Will be buying this for sure !

Such a underated movie. :(

I think it's because Don's movies were doing so good at the time and it was the one made straight after Disney's biggest bomb aka The Black Caludron.
disneyftw1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneyftw1 »

(sigh) I had to get the 2010 DVD version (when I was on Youtube... Till Disney took this down) and 2 years later, a Blu-ray/DVD combo is coming in... DAMN IT, DISNEY, stop presenting HD remastered films on DVD-only if you're making Blu-rays on their other films! Same will be said about the Black Cauldron once that Blu-ray will be made soon... who knows when that will be released?
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

^^ I snapped up The 25th Anniversary DVD of Black Cauldron, for the Lowry restoration and the anamorphic transfer, thinking it would take ages for it to come to Blu-ray.

Now I expect Disney to announce it on Blu-ray any day. I don't think I'll be rebuying. I like the film very much, but I haven't even watched the 25th Anniversary disc yet. :P

Needless to say, the 70mm photography would look gorgeous in HD.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Jules wrote:Thinking it would take ages for it to come to Blu-ray.
It will probably come out in 2013. :P
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I know! I wish I'd waited.

You know, I do agree with most that the film isn't very good, or maybe outright bad, but I still appreciate all the love and care and effort that went into making it.

It's not a bad bad movie. It's a good bad movie.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

zackisthewalrus wrote:Amazon.com has changed the release date on the page for this to October 9, 2012.
Hey, my birthday. Maybe I can actually get this now.