The Rescuers & The Rescuers Down Under: SPECIAL EDITION

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Icea
Limited Issue

Post by Icea »

Oh, I would've loved for it to have a The Making of featurette for The Rescuers as well and not just RDU. :(
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

Something odd that I stumbled upon, but I thought I'd share:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100477/releaseinfo#akas

At the bottom of the alternate titles, it lists "The Rescuers Down Under in 3D (USA)". I kind of doubt that this is happening as it would be a HUGE risk on Disney's part, but it'd be cool to see.
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

IMDb usually isn't the best source for info on future releases, since like Wikipedia, anybody can edit it. It's probably an overly excited fan with wishful thinking.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Well, I've read Luke's review of this release, and based on the screencaps at Blu-ray.com, I tend to agree more with that site's reviewer, video quality wise. I've got this and Pocahontas preordered at Amazon, and when it makes its way across the pond I'll check it out for myself and see what I think.

I am expecting The Rescuers to look a little dark, a little soft, and to have some minor print damage. If it does look like that, I'll be quite happy. I think Luke - like the rest of us - has been spoiled by the lavish Lowry Digital restorations. I think that a film can look very good even when given a minor restoration, as seems to have been carried out on The Rescuers. Some people have mentioned that the lineart looks fuzzy, or that it doesn't blend in with the rest of the image. I imagine that's a problem with the source. Even on DVD, I always thought Rescuers had untidy-looking lineart. I suspect it's a consequence of the coloured toner they pioneered on that film.

Secondly, on the Rescuers Down Under not being sourced digitally ... don't panic. I was disappointed too, but sourced from film it should still look fantastic ... just not as fantastic had they accessed the original CAPS files.

A lot worse can happen ...
AladdinFan
Special Edition

Post by AladdinFan »

Amazon.com is offering this deal.
Order Disney Titles to Save $10
Save $10 when you order two of the eligible titles below. This offer is valid through September 30, 2012. Applies only to products sold by Amazon.com. Does not apply to products sold by third-party merchants and other sellers through the Amazon.com site. Additional restrictions apply; see terms and conditions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/r ... B0084IHVQG
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

So the best place to get all 6 movies on the release date will be:

Best Buy!

They will all be priced at $22.99 and you get $10.00 if you buy two!

It will come out being over $100.00

I pray Disney doesn't do this mas release again! :headshake:

This is killing my wallet! :x

Thank GOD I am off Tuesday, I can watch most of them. :D
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Removed due to late night mind fuzz.
Last edited by The_Iceflash on Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Check your films!

On the 21st, we have:

Pocahontas/Pocahontas II
The Rescuers/The Rescuers Down Under
The Aristocats
Lady and the Tramp II
The Tigger Movie
Chimpanzee

6 releases, all part of Best Buy's buy 2 save 10 incentive.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

SWillie! wrote:Check your films!

On the 21st, we have:

Pocahontas/Pocahontas II
The Rescuers/The Rescuers Down Under
The Aristocats
Lady and the Tramp II
The Tigger Movie
Chimpanzee

6 releases, all part of Best Buy's buy 2 save 10 incentive.
Whoops! Forgot those. XD
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

This may seem like an odd question, but does anyone know if Disney even still has the original CAPS files for RDU? Have they ever been used in a home video release (I don't have my VHS copy anymore so I can't check it)?

Given the poor treatment of the movie it got by Disney after its opening day weekend, I wouldn't be suprised to hear they just deleted the files figuring they had a film copy anyway and they weren't going to make much money off of it in the future.
abenotgabe
Gold Classic Collection

Post by abenotgabe »

TRU has a pretty good deal too. (Well at least for me since I'm only buying 2 releases from this batch). Pre-order Cinderella and get $10 off any Disney BD priced 19.99 & up + the buy 2 save $10 promo sticker that these all come with, I expect to walk out with my copies of Aristocats and Rescuers for $20 plus tax after discounts.
Last edited by abenotgabe on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:This may seem like an odd question, but does anyone know if Disney even still has the original CAPS files for RDU? Have they ever been used in a home video release (I don't have my VHS copy anymore so I can't check it)?

Given the poor treatment of the movie it got by Disney after its opening day weekend, I wouldn't be suprised to hear they just deleted the files figuring they had a film copy anyway and they weren't going to make much money off of it in the future.
Are they really that sloppy? I hope not.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:This may seem like an odd question, but does anyone know if Disney even still has the original CAPS files for RDU? Have they ever been used in a home video release (I don't have my VHS copy anymore so I can't check it)?

I don't think 1990 Disney would be so stupid to delete some digital files. There is no reason behind this.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Lnds500 wrote:

I don't think 1990 Disney would be so stupid to delete some digital files. There is no reason behind this.
Some possible theories (all of which are linked to the fact that Disney are lazy and can't be bothered that much with this movie):

1. They did indeed delete the files. Despite it not doing too well at the box-office, I suppose this would equally be a bit odd, especially since they didn't do so with Beauty and the Beast or other early 90s films. In any case, I can't see an embittered Jeffrey Katzenberg ordering his minions to erase The Rescuers Down Under from existence.

2. There were colour timing issues with regards to the infancy of the CAPS system. The many re-releases of Beauty and the Beast have hinted at the difficulties the artists faced with the new system.

3. The film was inked and painted digitally, but all editing/post-production was done the traditional way on film. The subsequent CAPS films may have been edited digitally, or it may not be seen as worthwhile to go back to the original source material for a film that's not guaranteed to sell millions like Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King could.

And though I don't have a copy of The Rescuers Down Under on VHS, it definitely wouldn't have been pulled directly from the CAPS files. I believe Disney's first all-digital transfer on any home video format was A Bug's Life in 1999.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I am a little hesitant on buying the Blu-Ray of this after reading Luke's review (the other main fact being that I do not have the money for it right now). This just sounds like a disappointing release (picture quality and bonus feature-wise). I am not that interested in Pocahontas (or its lousy cheapquel) or The Aristocats unless I can get a good deal at them somewhere down the line. I really need to save my money until I can find work (which has been a while).
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

If Hunchback or Hercules' transfer looks as good as The Rescuers Down Under's, I will be happy seeing how Disney treats those two.

Wonderlicious wrote:
2. There were colour timing issues with regards to the infancy of the CAPS system. The many re-releases of Beauty and the Beast have hinted at the difficulties the artists faced with the new system.

3. The film was inked and painted digitally, but all editing/post-production was done the traditional way on film. The subsequent CAPS films may have been edited digitally, or it may not be seen as worthwhile to go back to the original source material for a film that's not guaranteed to sell millions like Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King

I think these two are most likely what happened. All things considered, The Rescuers Down Under transfer sounds like it's still excellent.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

I've seen the HD CAPS-sourced broadcast for Hercules and it's fantastic. Much better then film-sourced.
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

I like the film look anyway :) It's what it looked like in the cinema.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Regardless of how it'll look, I plan to get this. ;)
Topher
Limited Issue

Post by Topher »

jpanimation wrote:I've seen the HD CAPS-sourced broadcast for Hercules and it's fantastic. Much better then film-sourced.
They showed Hercules on a HD channel a few weeks back in Australia. I only remembered it was on during the last half hour but the picture quality was a lot better than the DVD. Blu Ray will hopefully be even better, if its not just sourced from film.