New Disney's Fantasia film??

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

New Disney's Fantasia film??

Post by Lnds500 »

This is far from official but a hint was dropped at D23 that a new Fantasia is being worked on/considered

from D23
Roy P. Disney asked guests if they would like to see another new Fantasia film to rousing applause.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

That would be so nice!
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: New Disney's Fantasia film??

Post by DisneyFan09 »

That's awesome news! While I liked Fantasia 2000, I never thought it was superior to the original Fantasia. But I really hope this one will be handdrawn.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I would absolutely LOVE to see this happen :D Although it wouldn't be necessarily the greatest decision, but it would be nice to include the four shorts (for Fantasia 2006) that have already been made and released (The Little Matchgirl, Lorenzo, One By One, and Destino), along, of course, with others. Hopefully we'll learn more about this soon :D
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:I would absolutely LOVE to see this happen :D Although it wouldn't be necessarily the greatest decision, but it would be nice to include the four shorts (for Fantasia 2006) that have already been made and released (The Little Matchgirl, Lorenzo, One By One, and Destino), along, of course, with others. Hopefully we'll learn more about this soon :D
I dunno... I don't want them to recycle stuff. Maybe just Paperman but the rest have had their time, time for something new. Otherwise you'd have a glorified collection of shorts
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Lnds500 wrote:I dunno... I don't want them to recycle stuff. Maybe just Paperman but the rest have had their time, time for something new. Otherwise you'd have a glorified collection of shorts
Yeah, I guess that's true. I'd at least like to see Lorenzo get released in some type of Blu-ray or DVD release (maybe as a release with the other three). Still, I'm hoping that that comment from the D23 panel means something'll definitely be happening. Here's hoping :D
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

That would be great, I always thought the third one should be titled Fantasia 3D. So it would be Fantasia, Fantasia 2000, Fantasia 3D. It's neat that they use the # for the sequel but not just plain "2" and "3." Although I guess Fantasia 3D might confuse people into thinking it's the original Fantasia, now converted to 3D, lol.
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

All I can say is........

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P3ALwKeSEYs" frameborder="0"></iframe> :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink:
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Sorry everyone but I don't think it's happening. It was more like a wish on his part, not a hint.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Sotiris wrote:Sorry everyone but I don't think it's happening. It was more like a wish on his part, not a hint.

WHAT?! OOOOOOH Sotiris, YOU MAKE ME MAD! WIGGLYTUFF! DOUBLE SLAP HIM!

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lrYU-SS-AkA" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Last edited by TsWade2 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Sotiris wrote:Sorry everyone but I don't think it's happening. It was more like a wish on his part, not a hint.

I saw this as well but I don't really know what to make of it. Does he actually have influence over Disney? Can he convince Iger to pursue this? It all depends on this

The good news is that they are considering it.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Lnds500 wrote:Does he actually have influence over Disney? Can he convince Iger to pursue this?
No, I don't think he does. If they were indeed considering it or if something was in the works, he wouldn't have instructed the audience to write to Iger to convince him. It's clearly something he would like to see happen but has no power over. What he said is the equivalent of "let's start a petition" which usually leads to nowhere.

If it were someone else who had said that, Lasseter for example, that would have meant something. But now, I don't think it does.

Considering that Fantasia 2000 was a commercial failure, I highly doubt they would greenlight another one. Not even Fantasia 2000 would have happened if Roy E. Disney hadn't strongly lobbied for it. That's why when Roy exited the company for the second time, plans for Fantasia 2006 (which was renamed to Fantasia World) fell apart.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

I guess you're right... I read that last part as
Said will write Iger
Oh well....
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Sotiris wrote:
Lnds500 wrote:Does he actually have influence over Disney? Can he convince Iger to pursue this?
No, I don't think he does. If they were indeed considering it or if something was in the works, he wouldn't have instructed the audience to write to Iger to convince him. It's clearly something he would like to see happen but has no power over. What he said is the equivalent of "let's start a petition" which usually leads to nowhere.

If it were someone else who had said that, Lasseter for example, that would have meant something. But now, I don't think it does.

Considering that Fantasia 2000 was a commercial failure, I highly doubt they would greenlight another one. Not even Fantasia 2000 would have happened if Roy E. Disney hadn't strongly lobbied for it. That's why when Roy exited the company for the second time, plans for Fantasia 2006 (which was renamed to Fantasia World) fell apart.
WIGGLYTUFF! DOUBLE SLAP HIM AGAIN!

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lrYU-SS-AkA" frameborder="0"></iframe>
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Yeah I think Sotiris is right. Fantasia is something that is very personal to the Disney family because it was one of Walt's most personal projects. Roy E. Disney took up the mantle to ensure that Walt's vision of Fantasia being something that was continuously added to was made a reality with Fantasia 2000 and now by the sounds of this, his son would like to see his work continued. I would be all for it but I really don't think the powers that be at Disney would feel the same; the previous management were never too enthusiastic about Fantasia 2000 but were happy to let Roy carry on with it.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I was excited when I opened this thread...and then I read the later posts. :(

I guess that's the unfortunate fate of the Fantasia films. The first one was a flop, too, and Fantasia 2000 suffered the same problem.

I would love to see a new Fantasia, but yeah, unless John Lasseter and Bob Iger feel confident about its success, we probably won't get one in our lifetimes.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

What about Glen Keane? Didn't he say that he wants to adapt Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 in D Minor as an animated segment for another sequel of, "Fantasia," even though he left Disney? In, "Fantasia," Beethoven's Symphony No. 6 in F Major is adapted as an animated segment, and in, "Fantasia 2000," Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 in C Minor is adapted as an animated segment. If there is going to be a sequel for, "Fantasia," Disney should maybe call it, "Fantasia 3000 (since it is called, "Fantasia 2000,")," and fulfill Glen's wish to adapt Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 in D Minor as an animated segment.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Disney animation would need to be in better shape for them to embark on another Fantasia. Right now, they've only had one serious success in the past several years, a lot of their seasoned animators are leaving, and they don't seem to be doing much to nurture any new animators, or follow-thru on much of their proposed projects. (They're still playing catch-up with at least FOUR competitors, including Pixar.)

Only after they recommit to the market of animated features can the notion of a third Fantasia be taken seriously.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
monorail91
Gold Classic Collection

Post by monorail91 »

I disagree with the market statement - we are fortunate that Disney is now in the position where each feature is not make-or-break (like it was during the 1940s when the studio was crippled and forced to make package features instead of feature films).

As a Disney fan (as we all presumably are), Disney's foremost commitment should be to quality and not necessarily the market financial success of its films. The quality of its productions are consistently the best in animation (IMO), which is sometimes (and sometimes not) reflected in box office numbers. Princess and the Frog was wonderful but did not perform up to expectations (did not flop either). But for me, the money part doesn't matter - just the fact that Disney put out a solid feature film.

With this focus on quality in mind, a corporate "commitment" to the animation market means nothing to me - just that Disney make another visually inventive and creative Fantasia film in the tradition of the previous two. The Fantasia films are hard to market to kids anyway (who wants to sit through classical music when they're 8 years old?) so box office numbers are likely not on Disney's mind anyway.
January 6, 2009 - Met Stephen Schwartz
September 4, 2009 - Met Tom Hulce
September 18, 2009 - Met Miley Cyrus
August 3, 2011 - Met John Musker
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

monorail91 wrote:I disagree with the market statement - we are fortunate that Disney is now in the position where each feature is not make-or-break (like it was during the 1940s when the studio was crippled and forced to make package features instead of feature films).
This is my only objection to your post. The make-or-break situation has given us diamond (no pun intended) releases. Walt's films were nearly always really carefully built to attract audiences without sacrificing quality along the way cause they had no other choice. Same thing happened with the Disney Renaissance. They were pushed so hard to be better they started creating masterpieces. It was at times of well-being that the studio faltered heavily (2000s) and now they seem to be following a formula (= "whatever brings money in and is Disney-ish") and halted potential creativity in the name of said formula (Tangled / Frozen and Glen Keane resigning)