Wreck-It Ralph (formerly Reboot Ralph)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

New TV spot!

Wreck-It Ralph - TV Spot ''Gymnastics''
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fle6oMMRmTI
Last edited by Sotiris on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

'Wreck-It Ralph' Hi-Res Concept Art, Character Development
http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-wre ... ent-21648/

Immersed in Movies: Previewing Disney's Animated 'Wreck-It Ralph'
http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononho ... k-it-ralph

Wreck-It Ralph Exclusive: Zach Parrish Takes Us Inside Disney Animation
http://www.moviefanatic.com/2012/08/wre ... isney-ani/

Early Look: Wreck-It Ralph
http://www.mania.com/early-look-wreckit ... 33790.html
Last edited by Sotiris on Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/an-ear ... ints-more/

Lot of details in here
We were shown about 25 minutes of the movie, and though we had already seen some of it at Comic-Con, there was quite a bit of new footage that hadn't been seen yet. We were shown a scene in which Ralph heads from his Bad Anon meeting back into Niceland and realizes the town is celebrating the 30th anniversary of their game without him. Felix and the rest of the citizens are having a party on the top floor of their building (complete with some pretty slick dance moves) and they're horrified when Ralph crashes the party. This is the point where he decides to go after a medal in another game, which happens to be the FPS "Hero's Duty."

Jane Lynch voices Calhoun, a tough-talking Sergeant who leads the troops of "Hero's Duty" against Cy-Bugs in intergalactic war. A lot of discussions were had about the look and feel of this game-within-a-film, with triangular shapes, grey colors, and neon green highlights emerging as the most important visual elements. We saw a sequence in this environment rendered layer by layer, adding debris, flashing lights, and smoke to the original pre-vis until the end result resembled something like "Halo" or "Call of Duty" modern FPS. Hilariously, we also saw what the player looks like in the world of the game: a Wall-E-like robot with a screen for a face and two human arms that stick out to look like a guy holding a gun. It's a cool design, and a great example of how this movie makes us look at the world of video games in a slightly different way.

From there, Ralph crash lands into "Sugar Rush," the Mario Kart-esque racing game made entirely of candy and inspired by Dr. Seuss style architecture of Antoni Gaudi. We spend about half of the movie in this game world, and this is where Ralph first meets Vanellope. She takes him back to her place and Ralph discovers that they're kindred spirits: Venellope is a glitch in her game, shunned by the other characters just like Ralph is. She lives in the Diet Cola Hot Springs, an abandoned mess of a place inside a volcano with Mentos hanging like stalactites. (They occasionally drop into the soda "lava", resulting in an explosion that comically burns Ralph.) He smashes her a race track ditch in the ground and teaches her how to drive so she can practice and he can return home, and it's clear he develops a soft spot for the quick-witted girl.

Jumping back into Wreck-It Ralph to finish the day, we spoke in small groups with the film's director Rich Moore and producer Spencer Thomas about the film near the end of the day. Moore revealed that he actually began this project with Fix-It Felix Jr. in mind as the main character.

"Early on... we were approaching this that this was going to be Felix's story, and starting him out as a good guy and ending up as a better guy just wasn't a very compelling story. So Ralph existed as this supporting character to Felix, and Phil Johnston, the writer, and I said, 'Well, what about Ralph? This would be an interesting character to watch go through this kind of process of becoming a bigger person, a better person, a less selfish person.' The story really got traction at that point. It really started to take off."
We also learned that the movie had a few other previous incarnations, going under the titles of High Score and Joe Jump over the years. In keeping with the video game theme, one of the film's coolest elements is that they use characters we know from real video games. But even with those cameos, the designers still had their work cut out for them. Mike Gabriel, the film's art designer (who directed Pocahontas and Rescuers Down Under), said that the cameos only make up about 20% of the characters in the movie and that the filmmakers had to still create more characters than any other film in the history of Disney animation to round out the rest. There were 188 original characters created for this project, which is a staggeringly high number when you consider most animated movies only have 40-60.
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

The TV Spots are great!

FigmentJedi thanks for sharing! :) The party scene seems really heartbreaking for Ralph and I can't wait to see his relationship develop with Venellope!
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

The homeless Q-Bert scene was originally written for Dig Dug, but Namco vetoed it.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9111961
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Thanks FigmentJedi for the news!
Last edited by Sotiris on Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

http://www.slashfilm.com/wreck-it-ralph-50-things/

Tons of stuff in here, including some spoilers
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Whoa alot of good stuff there! And the talk of a sequel already?!?!
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Before Wreck-It Ralph, Disney had unsuccessfully been developing two video game films: High Score and Joe Jump. Moore ignored both of them.
Did he? There was definitely some inspiration drawn. It's OK to admit that.

This is the leaked synopsis for Joe Jump:
Joe Jump tells the story of a video game character from the Pac-Man era whose game is no longer played. He finds a way to "jump" into today's high-tech games and then begins the "fish out of water" story.
Also Sam Levine, the then writer/director of Joe Jump said this about the project:
Sam Levine wrote:Created, co-wrote with Jared Stern and directed development of my original animated feature about a retro videogame character jumping into modern games to reinvent himself.

"Joe Jump". Project was shelved in 2008, when I decided to create elsewhere. It has been since been reworked and renamed Reboot Ralph, then Wreck It Ralph.
Source: http://www.linkedin.com/in/samuellevine

I've found some concept art but I don't know if it's for Joe Jump or High Score. It's probably for Joe Jump. I couldn't find any info about High Score whatsoever.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

DisneyDude2010 wrote:Whoa alot of good stuff there! And the talk of a sequel already?!?!
Reminds me of Treasure Planet, where they had a sequel and a TV series already lined up. I think the same thing happened with Atlantis: The Last Empire... Disney has a tendency to overestimate how their "boy's" movies will do. Their ambition is killing them. :lol: (I personally wish they had been too far along on TP stuff that to go back, so we would've got a TV show and sequel, however brief/measly. I would've liked to have seen more of Jim.)
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
DisneyDude2010 wrote:Whoa alot of good stuff there! And the talk of a sequel already?!?!
Reminds me of Treasure Planet, where they had a sequel and a TV series already lined up. I think the same thing happened with Atlantis: The Last Empire... Disney has a tendency to overestimate how their "boy's" movies will do. Their ambition is killing them. :lol: (I personally wish they had been too far along on TP stuff that to go back, so we would've got a TV show and sequel, however brief/measly. I would've liked to have seen more of Jim.)
You can always go on Deviantart & check out DolphyDolphiana's work. About as close to a Treasure Planet sequeal we'll ever get!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Bad news!
Unfortunately, it seems that the powers that be are a bit afraid of some of the film’s intricacies. In addition to all the beautiful animation, [...] the movie also features a lot of potty humor. Like, a. Lot. Of. Potty. Humor. I’m pretty sure that every single scene we were shown had at least one joke about peeing one’s pants, homophone confusion between Hero’s Duty and Hero’s Doody, or some other scatological theme.

Everything else is awesome, but the extreme childishness of these jokes is way out of place and below the standard of the film’s other elements. I doubt they will be enough to make viewers dislike the film, but it’s a little disappointing to see.
Source: http://collider.com/wreck-it-ralph-foot ... ew/186361/
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

If other test audiences respond in the same way as this reviewer, perhaps Disney will remove some of those jokes. Aside from this, the early reviews of the footage have all been positive and the film sounds great.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:If other test audiences respond in the same way as this reviewer, perhaps Disney will remove some of those jokes.
I hope they remove the toilet humor. It's always inappropriate and unfunny. I've watched the storyboarded version of the "doody" joke, and I've found it awful.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

No way. Its far too late in the game at this point, isn't it?
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Well, it was kind of expected with Sarah Silverman.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Well, it was kind of expected with Sarah Silverman.
The vast majority of the dialogue is scripted. The "doody" joke was also scripted. They said so at the "Wreck-It Ralph: The Art of Story" panel at Comic-Con.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

The doody joke was funny to me ... :lol: But then I love my American Dad, Futurama and Family Guy.

I think toiler humor CAN be very funny. People are so hyper sensitive to this today. Nobody cared about the load of fart and burp gags in The Lion King.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Reminds of the Pee jokes in Chicken Little! Some jokes like that can be tolerated, but lots?!! And the wait for Frozen continues.....
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

PatrickvD wrote:But then I love my American Dad, Futurama and Family Guy.

Nobody cared about the load of fart and burp gags in The Lion King.
Hahaa same I love American Dad! I'm sure it won't be that big of a deal, plus the jokes in The Lion King were good! I'm sure the jokes won't be bad considering that Rich Moore is directing!

and Sotiris I too was surprised by Moore "ignoring" Joe Jump! I always thought Joe Jump was a working title not a different property! (He's obviously telling some small white lies :wink: )