Disney's "The Snow Queen" in 2013?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

Disney’s “Frozen” or Wizart’s “The Snow Queen”?

http://myfirstblog5.wordpress.com/2012/ ... now-queen/
myfirstblog5 wrote:Two animated movies based on the fairy tale “the snow queen” are to be released in the end of this and the next year, wizart’s “the snow queen” and disney’s “frozen”. The original tale is that of a little girl named Gerda who has to go through several obstacles and a long journey to save her friend, Kai, who has been kidnapped by the snow queen.

This is Wizart’s synopsis:

“The story focuses on the girl Gerda, who is destined to save not only her friend Kai, but the whole world from the reign of cold.Viewers will meet not only popular heroes of this story but also its new characters. And The Snow Queen herself will appear in this modern version in an absolutely new perspective.”

This is disney’s synopsis:

“In “Frozen,” a prophecy traps a kingdom in eternal winter, so Anna (voice of Bell) must team up with Kristoff, a daring mountain man, on the grandest of journeys to find the Snow Queen (voice of Menzel) and put an end to the icy spell. Encountering Everest-like extremes, mystical creatures and magic at every turn, Anna and Kristoff battle the elements in a race to save the kingdom from destruction.”

You know, I think I’ll skip the disney version, in the theaters and the dvds, I mean, they just can’t let their movie be about a girl and her journey, for all other fairy tale movies they made that the girl just waited on the sidelines because of a contrivance, the excuse has always been “they’re taking it from the source material, they can’t change who’s the hero”. Well, now the source material has a girl hero, and suddenly they can change the story? Worse still, Anna is just Anna, or in another synopsis I saw “a dreamer”, but Kristoff is the “daring man who’ll lead her through the dangerous obstacles”. I’m done, seriously, I’m watching Brave when it gets released, and then no more, if a new movie gets absurd appraisal, I might check disney stuff again, but for now, I’m tired of their sexism.

What do you think?
Hey, don't complain to me. I'm just providing the news from websites that talk about this discussion. But just to cheer you up, Disney's version will do better since DreamWorks Animation's "Puss in Boots" did a better job than "The True Story of Puss in Boots."
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

Yeah,yeah everything Disney does smacks of sexism.Man,when Disney's Frozen comes out I know there is going to be a storm of complaining from certain people how Anna isn't feminist enough or she is just weak because she is allied with a strong male character.I mean that is just the start of all that complaing.Man,am I going to bang my head against the wall when I hear those complaints.And in my opinion it would cause me to get a headache as well.

I also notice they don't complain about the fact that Kai has been changed to Kristoff.I have also a feeling that this version of the film has actually been in work for Disney for years.I mean when I saw those development art I noticed that Kristoff and Anna were in a scene together.So,that means its not a recent development but one that probably has been there for years now.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

jazzflower92 wrote:Yeah,yeah everything Disney does smacks of sexism.Man,when Disney's Frozen comes out I know there is going to be a storm of complaining from certain people how Anna isn't feminist enough or she is just weak because she is allied with a strong male character.I mean that is just the start of all that complaing.Man,am I going to bang my head against the wall when I hear those complaints.And in my opinion it would cause me to get a headache as well.

I also notice they don't complain about the fact that Kai has been changed to Kristoff.I have also a feeling that this version of the film has actually been in work for Disney for years.I mean when I saw those development art I noticed that Kristoff and Anna were in a scene together.So,that means its not a recent development but one that probably has been there for years now.
This has nothing to do with sexism, it's business! Are boys gonna be buying any Frozen merchindise next year? Both Anna & Kristoff will probably get equeal screen time in the film. But clearly Anna & the Snow Queen will be the film's selling points! Just look at the merchindise for Wreck It Ralph so far. Abunch of dolls based off of the Sugar Rush game! I haven't seen ANYTHING related to Hero's Duty! No Cy-Bugs toys or any of the soldiers form that game! I must see what the characters of Frozen look like before I pass judgement. Also, if Disney is Sexist, then what's Pixar? Only 1 film with a female lead?! That blogger is cleary a hipocrite!
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

I like that Disney has been for years making movies about female protagonists who have been action oriented and pretty much interesting characters as well.But it gets grating that even with making good female characters that certain people still think Disney can't do anything right when it comes to female characters.

Okay,I wonder about their change in titles recently for some of their movies but then again Tangled showed that it still was a good film.And funny enough it grew on me as time went on.

I also don't think that Kristoff traveling with Anna is a recent addition espically since some of that art is dated at the beginning of the 2000's.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Inside Walt Disney Animation Studios Today

In a presentation created exclusively for Destination D, fans will be treated to a never-before-seen peek into the exciting current and upcoming projects from Walt Disney Animation Studios. Exclusive sneak peeks and footage from the comedy Wreck-It Ralph, the 2013 feature film Frozen, and short films Paperman and Tangled Ever After will be revealed by the filmmakers themselves. Hosted by Disney animator Darrin Butters, take an inside look at how the legacy of Disney animation lives on and grows today.
Source: http://d23.disney.go.com/events/2012/03 ... -features/

Will anyone be attending the panel? It's part of D23's Destination D event on August 11-12, 2012.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Sotiris wrote:
Inside Walt Disney Animation Studios Today

In a presentation created exclusively for Destination D, fans will be treated to a never-before-seen peek into the exciting current and upcoming projects from Walt Disney Animation Studios. Exclusive sneak peeks and footage from the comedy Wreck-It Ralph, the 2013 feature film Frozen, and short films Paperman and Tangled Ever After will be revealed by the filmmakers themselves. Hosted by Disney animator Darrin Butters, take an inside look at how the legacy of Disney animation lives on and grows today.
Source: http://d23.disney.go.com/events/2012/03 ... -features/
Will anyone be attending the panel? It's part of D23's Destination D event on August 11-12, 2012.
I kwew it! I knew Disney would have some kind of presentation for their films next month! Did you just find out about this today Sotiris? This could be our only chance to see character images for Frozen in the time being!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyEra wrote:Did you just find out about this today Sotiris? This could be our only chance to see character images for Frozen in the time being!
Yes, I just found out. While I knew about the Destination D event, this panel was only added yesterday.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

OMG, I can't wait to hear/see footage of Frozen! :D :D :D :D :D :D
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

DisneyEra wrote:
jazzflower92 wrote:Yeah,yeah everything Disney does smacks of sexism.Man,when Disney's Frozen comes out I know there is going to be a storm of complaining from certain people how Anna isn't feminist enough or she is just weak because she is allied with a strong male character.I mean that is just the start of all that complaing.Man,am I going to bang my head against the wall when I hear those complaints.And in my opinion it would cause me to get a headache as well.

This has nothing to do with sexism, it's business! Are boys gonna be buying any Frozen merchindise next year? Both Anna & Kristoff will probably get equeal screen time in the film. But clearly Anna & the Snow Queen will be the film's selling points! Just look at the merchindise for Wreck It Ralph so far. Abunch of dolls based off of the Sugar Rush game! I haven't seen ANYTHING related to Hero's Duty! No Cy-Bugs toys or any of the soldiers form that game! I must see what the characters of Frozen look like before I pass judgement. Also, if Disney is Sexist, then what's Pixar? Only 1 film with a female lead?! That blogger is cleary a hipocrite!
Agreed! That idiot should of wait until the trailer comes in theaters.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

July 13, 2012
Rich Moore wrote:It’s a really exciting time to be at the studio because there’re great projects coming down the line that are also really different. There’s a wide variety of stuff but they’re really good. Chris Buck is up next, he’s the director of Tarzan and Surf’s Up, and he’s got something that’s more traditional but really great. Jenn Lee is working on the script for that right now.
Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Itt-Xf4Qg&feature=plcp
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Some random trivia I just came across:

Kristofer McNeeley was cast as Prince Edward in the workshop for Disney's The Snow Queen stage musical in 2006 which was set to debut at Tokyo DisneySea. Erika Amato was cast as the Snow Queen.
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

Sotiris wrote:July 13, 2012
Rich Moore wrote:It’s a really exciting time to be at the studio because there’re great projects coming down the line that are also really different. There’s a wide variety of stuff but they’re really good. Chris Buck is up next, he’s the director of Tarzan and Surf’s Up, and he’s got something that’s more traditional but really great. Jenn Lee is working on the script for that right now.
Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Itt-Xf4Qg&feature=plcp
Cool. :D

Disney is really getting the mojo back.I mean even the directors of the film are enjoying how diverse in movies Disney is doing now.Now I wonder if Wreck It Ralph will defianlty be the list for Best Picture Award because I am just thinking it will be.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Sotiris, I found this pic on the Frozen IMDb boards
http://i46.tinypic.com/1azxx.jpg

Do you think it's official or just Fan Art?
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Fan art, for sure. Disney would never use the word cometh.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

SWillie! wrote:Fan art, for sure. Disney would never use the word cometh.
I've seen some Frozen fan art, but not this one. Ans the wait for an offical image continues.........
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

June 12, 2012
In Frozen, a computer-animated musical comedy-adventure from Walt Disney Animation Studios, our hero Anna is cursed by her estranged sister, the cold-hearted Snow Queen. Anna’s only hope of reversing the curse is to survive a perilous but thrilling journey across an icy and unforgiving landscape. Joined by a rugged, thrill-seeking outdoorsman, his one-antlered reindeer and a hapless snowman, Anna must race against time, conquer the elements, and battle an army of menacing snowmen if she ever hopes to melt her frozen heart.
Source: http://emileeid.com/2012/06/12/disneys- ... oice-cast/

August 01, 2012
After all of that, we got a quick glimpse at Disney's new film, Frozen, their next CG animated project that's loosely based on Hans Christian Anderson's "The Snow Queen." The musical stars Broadway legend Idina Menzel as Elsa, a queen in self-imposed exile, and Kristen Bell as her sister Anna, who, along with a mountain man named Kristoff, travels into the icy wilderness to track find her sister and bring her home. Bobby Lopez (Book of Mormon, Winnie the Pooh) and his wife Kristen are writing the songs for this movie, and along with Menzel's talents, we'll also be hearing Bell's singing voice too. (The younger actress also got her start on Broadway.)

We saw some concept art for the various characters in Frozen (a goofy enchanted snowman named Olaf and a bizarre reindeer named Sven look to be the comic relief) and some dazzling locations, like a castle nestled into a gorgeous mountain range with interior designs that had a beautiful, ethereal, classic Sleeping Beauty look to them. There were also research photos from the crew's trip to Jackson Hole, Wyoming, where they trudged through ten feet of snow to get an up close experience regarding how those motions look and feel so they can incorporate it into the film.
Source: http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/an-ear ... ints-more/

While paying a visit to Walt Disney Animation Studios for their upcoming feature Wreck-It Ralph, IGN was fortunate enough to also sneak a peek at their next project, Frozen.

When it was first announced, we learned that the CG musical film told the story of the fabled Snow Queen, loosely based on the Hans Christian Anderson fairytale. We've also known for about a month now that Kristen Bell and Idina Menzel are set to voice the lead roles. More recently, we discovered where the movie has drawn its inspiration.

"This is going to be a world that is inspired by the real, rugged, majestic beauty of Norway," said Emily Thompson, Senior Manager of Communications at Disney Animation. "Even though the story won’t necessarily take place in a specific time or location, that’s our inspiration."

At its heart, though, Frozen tells the story between two sisters, Anna (Bell) and Elsa (Menzel). "They do a really, really fantastic job together," continued Thompson. "Anna and her partner in crime, Kristoff -- he’s kind of a rugged mountain man -- they set off on a journey to find Anna’s sister the Snow Queen, Elsa, who’s banished herself to the mountains where she’s built this beautiful snow palace; she’s in this kind of self-imposed exile. So they’re going to find Elsa and bring her back."

This is all in order to save Anna's kingdom, which has been cursed in eternal winter. "Along the way, they meet up with this enchanted snow man Olaf, who provides a lot of the comic relief. Then there’s also a mangy looking reindeer named Sven."

The Disney project, which was originally shelved back in 2010, is now being helmed by Tarzan's Chris Buck, with music by Robert Lopez and his wife Kristen (Winnie the Pooh). The film is currently slated for release in November 2013.
Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/01/ ... -all-about
Last edited by Sotiris on Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Sounds great, full of festivity for a winter release!

What do they mean "a previous synopsis"? It's never been previous has it?
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

I don't really know how I feel about a snowman being a sidekick.. Iguess we'll wait and see.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Sotiris wrote:June 12, 2012
In Frozen, a computer-animated musical comedy-adventure from Walt Disney Animation Studios, our hero Anna is cursed by her estranged sister, the cold-hearted Snow Queen. Anna’s only hope of reversing the curse is to survive a perilous but thrilling journey across an icy and unforgiving landscape. Joined by a rugged, thrill-seeking outdoorsman, his one-antlered reindeer and a hapless snowman, Anna must race against time, conquer the elements, and battle an army of menacing snowmen if she ever hopes to melt her frozen heart.
Source: http://emileeid.com/2012/06/12/disneys- ... oice-cast/
I mean, obviously a girl joined with a <strike>rugged bandit</strike> rugged outdoorsman reminds me of Tangled, and I'm not even being down on this project- I'm super stoked for it- but OMG A ONE-ANTLEREDD REINDEER (<strike>Reindeers just like in Prep & Landing </strike> :p) and ANGRY SNOWMEN! I'm actually really excited for the winter setting- it'll be a wintry fairy tale. Thanks as always for the info, Sotiris!!!