Sailor Moon Returns!

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
kenai3000
Gold Classic Collection

Post by kenai3000 »

Skimming through my copies of Sailor V & Sailor Moon it is right to left like it should be.
Disney is awesome, and was the biggest part of my childhood.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sailor Moon Manga Gets New Anime Series in Summer 2013

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ummer-2013

An update on the article says that, whenever the series broadcasts, it will broadcast simultaneously worldwide. :) I'm assuming the new anime will be like the new translation/release of the manga, with fewer changes to the material.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

This was very unexpected. I'm so excited! I can't wait!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
wrestling_stat
Gold Classic Collection

Post by wrestling_stat »

So unexpected but so exciting as well. Can't wait for it.
<i>You are allowed one signature image up to 500 pixels in width and 100 pixels in height. </i>
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ ... banner.jpg
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, it's like all of Sailor Moon's fans' birthdays combined or something! This is the best news because it's like a dream we never even dared to dream! And also, I didn't know Sailor Moon first came out after I was already 4 years old...
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

This is great news to hear. I can only hope that they also announce the original series will be released on Blu as well? I missed out on the dvd sets, so it would be nice to have a chance at getting them.
My Disney focused instagram: disneyeternal
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I wish we could get some kind of glimpse of the upcoming version . . . I haven't been able to dig anything up yet. Anyone else have any luck?
Disney's Divinity

Yes, it's been awfully quiet about this. I'm surprised no screenshots or designs have been releasted for some kind of promotion... :?
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Re: Sailor Moon Manga Returns to the U.S.

Post by Elladorine »

Apparently the new anime has been delayed. :(
Disney's Divinity

Wow, not even by Fall 2014? :down:
SpaceAce
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SpaceAce »

Anyone else pre-order the S.H. Figuarts from Amazon? :)

Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

The release date for the new anime has been pushed back to winter of 2013. Still no images and not much news.
Disney's Divinity

Sucks.

Well, this revival really hasn't turned out to be what it seemed. :P At least the manga will be completely released by the end of November, I believe. :D
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Better than next year, at least. ;) More than anything I just want to see official images of the thing so we know what we're getting into. :p

I'm still wayyyy behind on the manga, but am thinking I'll just break down and get the box sets once they're all released.
Disney's Divinity

The new series will be streamed worldwide on Niconico starting July according to this source. You can read the article for full info., but it just confirms it's a new version of the manga and not a re-make of the original anime.

Also, they're releasing "complete" versions of the manga, with new covers/more colored artwork and larger page sizes. I'm not sure if that's coming to the US or if it's staying only overseas. You can see the first 4 covers here. They look very pretty. I feel guilty, but I'd probably re-buy the manga again, and they only just finished re-releasing the manga a month or two ago. :lol:

I finished re-reading the manga just before the new year. I really wish they had/would release the original anime on DVD. I have the uncut, non-English versions of the first two seasons (through the end of the Dark Lady/Wise Man story, if I got that wrong), but I grew up with the English dub and would like to see it again. :(
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

Very nice covers. I only need the second volume of the short stories, and my collection will be complete.

I agree, Divinity, it would be nice to have a re-release of the original English dub. I grew up watching that as well, but I don't really remember much outside of the Queen Beryl, and the alien siblings arcs.
My Disney focused instagram: disneyeternal
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The new anime will be called Sailor Moon Crystal. Click here to see the logo and a promo pic.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Pretty!
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

Sotiris wrote:The new anime will be called Sailor Moon Crystal. Click on the link below to see the logo and a promo pic.

http://sailormoon-official.com/img/animation/anime.png
No, you people do not understand how awesome this is. I am a HUGE Sailor Moon fan; I harassed asked my uncle in Italy repeatedly to send me some Sailor Moon merch (as the show was there but not in America...) My collection is non-existent, but my appreciation is more emotional and mental. But my excitement is deeper than that.

Source: http://moonkitty.net/new-sailor-moon-an ... mation.php
On the 10th of January 2014, it was confirmed that the new Sailor Moon anime will premiere in July 2014 and that it would stream simultaneously worldwide online via NicoNico.

The initial online streaming of the episodes will be subtitled in 10 different languages with the original Japanese audio.
Do you understand how many implications this has for the animation industry as a whole? A ton. I know the animated web series has been done already, with Turbo: F.A.S.T. for example... but this is a new step.

For one, Sailor Moon is a pretty hefty anime, tone wise. Most of it is cute and child friendly, but when it got dark, it got dark. Plus some of the themes, like self-assurance and friendship, they're very meaningful for a wide audience. And to expose this to a larger audience, worldwide, it's very daring. I like it.

And a reboot, I think, is a very smart way to introduce people to the streaming market.

Sure, I am just a college student with a severe procrastination problem. But I have sooooo many ideas, some crazier than others. :-"

One of my, ahem, "ideas" was to for someone an animated mini series. (Maybe me, writing probably...) You know, like how some networks air a series but it essentially is one long movie when you put it together. (BBC came to mind first but I think ABC had some too...) That, online and animated.

If this new Sailor Moon series does well (as I am guessing it will because, much like Frozen had, it will garner a lot of hype), opportunities will arise. One of my wishes in life is for American audiences to appreciate animation outside of "children's entertainment." It would be incredible if PGSMC won something like the Emmy. (Could it win a Emmy if it's technically Japanese? I know Lizzie Bennet Diaries won one despite being a vlog format... Oh, details.) And if it won an Emmy, maybe other studios for cinematic productions would be more willing to take risks, story wise. And that would lead to a shift in how animation is seen in the states. Of course, this new series couldn't do all the work. No, it would most likely serve as a catalyst for artists and studios to expand their horizons.

Or am I jumping the gun on that hope? This is the happiest day of my life since... well last Friday honestly :P , and it's the middle of the night here. I am forgetting many realities, like money and time and hosting ... but please let me relish this moment. :P
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

To anyone who likes Sailor Moon, animation, or both: these guys are doing a project where artists re-animate scenes from the anime to their style of choice. Very interesting results. 8)