Duets, premiering May 24th

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Duets, premiering May 24th

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Duets is yet another reality singing show. It debuts May 24th, and features the mentors Kelly Clarkson (the reason I'll be watching), John Legend, Jennifer Nettles (of Sugarland), and Robin Thicke. The distinguishing feature of this show? The mentors will sing with their contestants, rather than judging them from a distance.

I don't believe the show is meant to be on the same scale as The X Factor, The Voice, or American Idol. Instead, it's a low-key show in which each mentor finds 2 contestants that will feature on the show--a total of 8 contestants. Also, if the show sees a second season, the expectation is that the mentors will change every year a la Dancing with the Stars.

Edit: Apparently, Lionel Richie will not feature on the show, which is a shame. He cited scheduling conflicts as a reason for backing out. Instead, John Legend will mentor in his place.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I will be watching this show instead of "America's Got Talent" because AGT has Howard Stern as a judge, and he wouldn't know talent if it poked him in the eye.

I truly think that they could have found a better replacement for Piers than this woman-hating so-called World Famous DeeJay.

I am glad that I have something else to watch instead of AGT.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

I may check this show out. It looks ok from the previews.

I'm not a fan of Howard Stern, but I'll still tune in to AGT this year. Howard probably knows Talent as well as the Hoff did, and the show was enjoyable when he was a judge.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

What a waste of time watching the premier episode of "Duets" was last night. I turned if off about half way through it, and I probably will not watch it again for its short nine-week run.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Disney's Divinity

It wasn't great, but I don't think anyone expected it to be amazing. I believe Jennifer Nettles' second partner and Clarkson's first were the best, imo. The scoring system is really screwed up though. :lol:
Disney's Divinity

Two people have been eliminated so far, so we've got about 6 more weeks of this show. I'm thinking J.Rome (Jennifer Nettles' contestant) will most likely win the show. But, let's face it, nobody on this show will have a huge career. :lol: It's like The Voice, with none of the contestants being anything after the show (Idol is fast becoming the same way).

I also like Jason, who is unliked by the judges. Which is bizarre, because I like him better than Kelly's other contestant.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I missed this week's episode because it was on Wednesday (and I forgot about it), but I'll try and watch it this weekend. This show's got me a little confronted; I don't really care for the amateurs (though, yes, most of them are pretty good) and I end up only wanting to hear the coaches, especially Kelly. I don't know. Maybe I just don't like the idea of the show. It's definitely sub-par to The Voice, though, in my opinion.

I do think that either of Jennifer Nettles' contestants will win the whole thing; the other contests, especially Kelly's (which makes no sense, because Kelly's the best singer to me), are lackluster.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Disney's Divinity

TheSequelOfDisney wrote: It's definitely sub-par to The Voice, though, in my opinion.
I agree, although The Voice isn't much different from American Idol once you get past the battle rounds. Still, nobody from season 1 of the show has been a success, and there were several good contestants (Javier, Xenia, Dia) which is a shame. The premise doesn't really work because most artists don't duet every song of their careers. At some point, you'd want to see the contestants sing by themselves.

I'm the same way about watching for Kelly. I loved hearing her sing "Hallelujah," though I'd have preferred her singing it by herself. :P
Disney's Divinity

Well, Jennifer Nettles' contestant J-Rome won the show. He definitely was the most deserving contestant--I was sure of that when he performed "I Will Always Love You" a few weeks back. It seems as if the deserving contestants have been winning on shows outside of Idol the past few years (with Javier Colon, Melanie Amaro, and now J-Rome as winners). I do hope the show is renewed, even though it's just an average show. It's something to watch during the summer hiatus. Overall, a moderately good season.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I'm happy for J Rome. I could tell from early on that he was most likely to win because he really is super talented. I did get something wrong though: I thought Jason was going to be in second place instead of John (he's a better singer in my opinion), but I was wrong. I hope this does get a second season, too. It's a moderately good show and is something interesting to watch.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

dvdjunkie wrote:I will be watching this show instead of "America's Got Talent" because AGT has Howard Stern as a judge, and he wouldn't know talent if it poked him in the eye.

I truly think that they could have found a better replacement for Piers than this woman-hating so-called World Famous DeeJay.

I am glad that I have something else to watch instead of AGT.
Actually he's a pretty good judge so far. I've seen enough to be critical myself.