Pixar's Brave - Part II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Disney Duster wrote:Neverland,
did you just buy three of the same one?
I know I'm not Neverland and it's hard to tell from the photo, but I'm guessing that the three separate bears were purchased. When I was at the Disney Store yesterday, I noticed that they had three separate bear plushies available to buy, each with their legs and arms posed differently.

Not sure if it's a spoiler, but just in case, they were labeled *Happy, Hungry, and Curious.*
NeverLand
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeverLand »

Thank you all guys :D
Avaitor wrote:Are the bow and arrow set just a toy, or can they be used for actual archery?

Probably a silly question, but it looks pretty nice.
Oh its not a silly question .. I asked my self same question before I get the bow and arrows set!
Yes they are just a toys .. but I think they look really pretty!

Here some videos for the archery set:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-bvom3LGFI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NsFFPMCzro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOl3Kn3SAXM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea1qKPtNmUM
Disney Duster wrote:So for the bear cubs...I know that in the movie they're actually supposed to be the three, well...anyway, did you just buy three of the same one?
Like what enigmawing said .. they were separate when I bought them .. there are two different sizes .. small and middle .. I purchased 3 small and 1 middle.
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

There's a new Movie Surfers clip on Disney.com that explores parts of Scotland and even has a couple of clips of the Witch.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

DisneyDude2010 wrote:I really don't see why so many people are so hyped up for Brave,
The only thing I think I will enjoy in the film is Merida's relationship with her mother. I hate the marketing as the First Pixar Heroine and I hate the fact that Merida is essentially described as "brave" What about Mulan, Pocahontas and even Ariel and Rapunzel. They all fought for the things they loved. I don't see Merida's character as unique at all and I find some of the character animation not up to the Pixar quality they are know for.
Sure market her to the films accord, but I really hope they reconsider adding her to the lines up because It removes focus from some of the original members who are part of the WDAS legacy, Not Pixar's!
they're all described as that. Anyway i thought the trailers were clever to not market the whole movies plot. Though pacing could be better.netted
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

enigmawing wrote:Not sure if it's a spoiler, but just in case, they were labeled *Happy, Hungry, and Curious.*
OMG they soooo rippd off SNOW WHITE. NOOOOO, this movie will suck! :x Grrrrr, P!xar, why can't u be more original? :headsake: :angry: :roll:

;)
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

That journal you posted, enigmawing, is really nice! If only it was actually wood instead of plastic (or is it leather?). :(

Also, whoever posted the Photobucket scans of concept art (from the Art of book?)--because I'm too lazy to look up who that was from the other thread--thank you! I had looked at them at the time, and I really like the pictures of Merida with her bow and/or sword. In the black and white, she made me think of Artemis from Greek mythology.
DisneyDude2010 wrote:but I really hope they reconsider adding her to the lines up because It removes focus from some of the original members who are part of the WDAS legacy, Not Pixar's!
I can't say I'm that excited for her to become a part of the line myself. Well, at least we know she'll most likely go the way of Pocahontas--who they find too hard to glitter-fy to feature very often. No harm, no foul. :lol:

I do get a little angry at what you (and others) were saying about Merida being marketed as more heroic/empowered than Disney princesses, but I see that mostly coming from commenters (or Tumblr members, as pap64 said). I don't really think Pixar sees her as superior.

Like someone said, one of the things I'm most looking forward to is the mother-daughter interaction. In the early stages of TP&TF, I thought that movie would have a strong mother-daughter relationship at the core of the film, but it actually turned out to be another father-daughter movie. I personally still wish they'd given the Queen a better design. Merida's not a great design either, but I feel the Queen's is just ugly and bland. ***Maybe she'll look better as a bear? :lol: ***
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Wonderlicious wrote:
enigmawing wrote:Not sure if it's a spoiler, but just in case, they were labeled *Happy, Hungry, and Curious.*
OMG they soooo rippd off SNOW WHITE. NOOOOO, this movie will suck! :x Grrrrr, P!xar, why can't u be more original? :headsake: :angry: :roll:

;)
Oh my, I can see it now! :lol:
Disney's Divinity wrote:That journal you posted, enigmawing, is really nice! If only it was actually wood instead of plastic (or is it leather?). :(
After picking up the journal and handling it, I thought it was real leather! But according to the website, it's just faux-leather. Looks and feels nice in person regardless. :)

BTW, meant to mention this, but I really like your current Pocahontas sig! :)
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

Tomorrow night at 8PM EST on Food Network's show Cupcake Champions, bakers are going to make cupcakes inspired by Brave!
I can hardly wait to see what they come up with! :pink:

Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wonderlicious wrote:OMG they soooo rippd off SNOW WHITE. NOOOOO, this movie will suck! :x Grrrrr, P!xar, why can't u be more original? :headsake: :angry: :roll:

;)
Stop making fun of people and being a jerk.
Disney's Divinity wrote:
DisneyDude2010 wrote:but I really hope they reconsider adding her to the lines up because It removes focus from some of the original members who are part of the WDAS legacy, Not Pixar's!
I can't say I'm that excited for her to become a part of the line myself. Well, at least we know she'll most likely go the way of Pocahontas--who they find too hard to glitter-fy to feature very often. No harm, no foul. :lol:
Did they officially say recently, not years ago but recently, that she was really going to become a Disney Princess (when she isn't one, at most she's a Disney presents a Pixar princess?).

And the Queen's design isn't ugly. That would be Merida. One of the ugliest characters I have ever seen.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Nothing has been said about Merida joining the Disney Princess lineup. The reason people seem to believe that she will be is because Disney Princess fanatics are already lining her up with the other princesses because of her royal heritage and for the sake of humor, like artist Amy Mebberson does:

I think Merida might be a trickier character to include in the lineup, unlike Tiana and Rapunzel. Merida is feminine, but she isn't OVERTLY feminine/ Let me explain before people jump on my throat about it... The other princesses were designed to be really beautiful and feminine, with details like make up, eye shadows and such. Their stories also focus on the more "girly" aspects like dressing up in cute dresses, balls, romance and such. The Disney Princess franchise as a whole has been designed to keep in mind this aesthetic choice, and thus the Disney Princess site has games featuring dress up, tea parties and designing frilly invitations.

Merida isn't like that. She loves being a girl and a princess, but does not enjoy her royal duties. Merida wears ONE princess-like dress and she hates it. Can you imagine the confusion it might create on children when they see the movie, and then see that Merida is ACTUALLY looking forward to wearing a pretty dress on the site?

"Oooh I just love what you pickedfor me tea party, dear!"

The other princesses are flexible enough that they can create games like that for them. Merida is just more strict about it since from the outset she is meant to be a different kind of princess (in terms of the traditional "Princesses like pretty dresses and sparkly stuff"). The odds are 50/50 I say. It depends on how much merchandise Merida moves on her own and how her movie performs, and maybe they will add her a year later or so, much like they did with Rapunzel.
ImageImageImageImage

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

pap64 wrote:I think Merida might be a trickier character to include in the lineup, unlike Tiana and Rapunzel.
The only thing that may hinder Merida's inclusion in the line is that she's Pixar while the rest of the princesses are Disney. I don't agree with the reasons you've provided because other more rebellious and feminist characters in the line like Pocahontas and Mulan have been included. In the same way that Disney Consumer Products has homogenized all of the princesses in the line and stripped them off their individual personalities, they will do the same thing with Merida as well if she's ever included.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Disney Duster wrote:One of the ugliest characters I have ever seen.
:headshake:
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Sotiris wrote:
pap64 wrote:I think Merida might be a trickier character to include in the lineup, unlike Tiana and Rapunzel.
The only thing that may hinder Merida's inclusion in the line is that she's Pixar while the rest of the princesses are Disney. I don't agree with the reasons you've provided because other more rebellious and feminist characters in the line like Pocahontas and Mulan have been included. In the same way that Disney Consumer Products has homogenized all of the princesses in the line and stripped them off their individual personalities, they will do the same thing with Merida as well if she's ever included.
I expected my reasons to be kind of tricky to explain, but let me explain myself one more time...

I am very well aware that the Disney Princess lineup has characters that don't fit the typical princess archetype and exhibited different behavior like the two girls you mentioned. However, Pocahontas was designed to be very feminine and eventually fell in love. Mulan wanted to be a bride, and thus she tried to be the ideal vision of beauty as presented in her story. And even though she did don an armor and was a warrior princess, she was very feminine and eventually fell in love.

Merida is an almost drastic change in terms of what people have come to expect out of a princess. Like I said, she enjoys being a girl and is quite feminine, but her story is not about her being a girl, much less a girl that falls in love in the most magical way. It is about her coming to grips regarding her relationship with her mother and that she is also a warrior that will go through great lengths to change her fate.

Again, it's very tricky to explain, but Merida is a more established character than the other princesses. The other girls were flexible enough that they could be presented as being stripped of their individuality as you said without anyone really noticing the difference between them and their movie counterparts. Merida is being sold and has gained a fanbase based on the fact that she is somewhat different from the other girls. If she were to be "brain washed" in order to fit the lineup, people WILL notice it and thus create a bigger reaction.

Then there's the issue that you mentioned: she is a Pixar character. I think that's what will indeed cause a bigger problem, not because of legal issues, but because of how Pixar seems to protect their characters perhaps a little bit more than Disney. Sure they love to market the HELL out of them through toys, character meet and greets at the parks and tons of other things. But they do it with the idea that the characters must be themselves no matter what. So Remy is Remy, Woody is Woody, Wall-E is Wall-E, so on and so forth. They are not changed in the most extreme and radical manner in order to meet the standards of a franchise, they are sold on the fact that they are individual characters from unique universes. Merida is part of that group, and part of me thinks that Pixar may not want to let her join the princess lineup since it means that they will be stripping the character of her individuality in order to fit the standards of a franchise.

So yes, Merida has dolls out and such, but she is still Merida, princess of Dunbroch, not Merida, the other red head in the Disney Princess lineup that loves to play tea party and dress up in ball gowns.

Just putting my two cents out.
ImageImageImageImage

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^I agree about your point with Pixar and how they are more protective of their characters than Disney. However, if DCP gains permission to include Merida in the line, which is doubtful, I'm sure they won't take anything into consideration (the fanbase, lack of romantic interest etc) and will treat Merida the same way they treat the rest of the princesses in the line.

On another note, I'm a bit bothered with the terminology you use. It's not 'feminine' for a woman to fall in love and likewise 'unfeminine' if she doesn't. It's all about choices and circumstance. It doesn't have to do with femininity (which is a problematic term in itself as it is a social construct and has no intrinsic definition).
Prince Kido
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Prince Kido »

As a french freelance artist who sometimes works for Disney Publishing since Tangled and currently on Wreck-It Ralph, I did the interior's illustrations of the Brave's chapter book, "Merida's Wish" ( http://www.amazon.com/Meridas-Disney-Pi ... 524&sr=8-1 ).
You can learn more and check all of my related artworks on Brave by clicking on my Blog's link please : http://davidgilson.blogspot.fr/2012/06/ ... pixar.html .
You can also visit my Facebook page for much more : http://www.facebook.com/DavidGilsonDrawings.
Thank you!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^Great work as always, David!
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Wonderlicious wrote:OMG they soooo rippd off SNOW WHITE. NOOOOO, this movie will suck! Mad Grrrrr, P!xar, why can't u be more original? :headsake: Very Angry Rolling Eyes
:lol: Spot on.
Disney Duster wrote:And the Queen's design isn't ugly. That would be Merida. One of the ugliest characters I have ever seen.
Completely disagree.

Having gone into Ratatouille and WALL-E underwhelmed at the previews and ending up loving both films once I'd seen them in their entirety, I've learned better than to write off Pixar films. Whether I'll love Brave as much as I do Toy Story and The Incredibles remains to be seen but I think it does look like it will be a very good film and I'm very excited to see it.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Disney Duster wrote:That would be Merida. One of the ugliest characters I have ever seen.
:lol:

You have a warped view of fictional, animated beauty.
Last edited by PatrickvD on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Sotiris wrote:In the same way that Disney Consumer Products has homogenized all of the princesses in the line and stripped them off their individual personalities, they will do the same thing with Merida as well if she's ever included.
Even if she's not, they've already started:

On a sperate note, I find this Disneyland CM costume for the Brave meet-and-greet kind of adorable:

pixar123

MU

Post by pixar123 »

Mark my words,Monsters University teaser trailer will be online on 8 JUNE!!!