The Little Mermaid on Broadway

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

BelleGirl wrote:
supertalies wrote:I actually do like the costume for Scuttle

The one for Triton, however.. :headshake:

Yes, why not a costume that shows his bare chest?
I don't exactly know, but I think it has to do with them flying. That's also the reason the mermaids don't wear shells.

Also, about those tickets.. I actually live in The Hage, so I would love to go see it. However, my parents want to buy me some tickets, but I don't know for which day that will be yet.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I thought it might have more to do with the actor not having a very flattering chest to show. This might be a case of a better actor v. an actor who looks the part, with the costume paying the price.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

PatrickvD wrote:The costumes look like ass.

:shock:
Honestly, I hope they fix that. They made the "second" mer-tails in the Broadway production look less like lizard tails. What I want them to REALLY fix is the "underwater" hair problem.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Actually, I would say Scuttle and Sebastian look better than the Broadway versions. They actually look like the creatures they're supposed to. Ursula's land costume is bad however. And Flounder has always looked horrible in both the Broadway show and now this one.

King Triton isn't so bad to me. I think it woukd make perfect sense for him to have a chest plate of armor, so if they just made it into that, and used the same material for his wrist bracelets he had in the movie, and fix his crown to be more crown-like, then I think his costume would actually be great. I have no idea how they walk on the ground in their tails though.

Did anyone notice, one of the green sea creatures has roller skates. Skating did make it into this show after all!
PatrickvD wrote:The costumes look like ass.

:shock:
Ah, so I was right.
DisneyJedi wrote:They made the "second" mer-tails in the Broadway production look less like lizard tails.
You mean this Netherlands, not Broadway, production has better tails?
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Well, Duster, I meant that in the out of town tryout for Little Mermaid, the second mer-tails looked a little awkward and they managed to "fix" them for the official Broadway run.
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I thought it might have more to do with the actor not having a very flattering chest to show. This might be a case of a better actor v. an actor who looks the part, with the costume paying the price.
Well, actually, the actor also went barechested during some other musicals, so I doubt it had to do with him.

My guess it's the same reason why the mermaids are also pretty covered up: because they fly, and the 'suit' (I can't think of another word to explain it right now) has to be hidden underneath the costumes.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

DisneyJedi wrote:Well, Duster, I meant that in the out of town tryout for Little Mermaid, the second mer-tails looked a little awkward and they managed to "fix" them for the official Broadway run.
I don't really think they fixed the tails, haha. I don't think the idea turned out very well.

I actually thought of my own way the idea might be improved. The original Broadway one's on the left, my idea is on the right, and there's a little picture of them standing still and the bigger pictures are them moving their legs the farthest they probably would that might "spoil" the tail illusion, but hopefully in mine, it wouldn't spoil it so much, if at all. And I made them transparent just to show where their rollerblading legs would be underneath, if they were made for real they wouldn't be transparent:

SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Honestly that would probably just hamper the movement of the actors. The Broadway is probably the best way of combining form and function, sad as it may be.

AKA it just really shouldn't be a stage musical in the first place.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well, I can't draw on the computer exactly what I mean, and maybe in real life it could really work, but in case it wouldn't, maybe if they just combined those skirts with a tail that followed it more so it looked like one tail with a lot of finny fabric hanging from it like this?:

Other than that, I would say flying does make the show work, and did you see the one version of the show that had black fabric covering their legs and the stage very dark? What if they just did that (sort of like the Voyage of The Little Mermaid show where things are hidden in the dark?). They could have light from above and in the middle of the backgrounds, just no light on the bottom.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I must say, I like your costume designs, Duster, but I wonder how well they'd function.

Personally, I'd have no problem if they just gave Ariel a dress designed like a fish tail-- but not an actual tail as has been done in past productions. That way you'd focus more on the performance and not on the odd protusion coming out of the back of the actress' costume.
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

Just returned home after a visit to the show.....
Soooo different from what i've seen from the US version :p the show is more small and adapted for smaller theaters, but it's not bad at all :)

The costumes and decor do look a bit cheap, but i think that is due to the fact that Wicked swallowed so much money, While it's not being visited well....so they had to cut in the budget! Some scenes, like 'kiss the girl' look a bit flat, since there are no animals in it :p
I didn't get annoyed by the wigs by the way, it looked a bit funny ok, but it doesn't distract your attention....

The main players were really good! Actually they sang better than the actors in the dutch version of Wicked....also the assemble was really good! And i loved the scene in the beauty parlor, with the disco music and dresses, totally out of place, but really nice :) Just like the childish 'le poison' scene...so funny haha :p
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

Toky wrote:Just returned home after a visit to the show.....
Soooo different from what i've seen from the US version :p the show is more small and adapted for smaller theaters, but it's not bad at all :)

The costumes and decor do look a bit cheap, but i think that is due to the fact that Wicked swallowed so much money, While it's not being visited well....so they had to cut in the budget! Some scenes, like 'kiss the girl' look a bit flat, since there are no animals in it :p
I didn't get annoyed by the wigs by the way, it looked a bit funny ok, but it doesn't distract your attention....

The main players were really good! Actually they sang better than the actors in the dutch version of Wicked....also the assemble was really good! And i loved the scene in the beauty parlor, with the disco music and dresses, totally out of place, but really nice :) Just like the childish 'le poison' scene...so funny haha :p
What about the changes from the Dutch songs of the original movie version? I've seen in previews that they changed the lyrics. Is it notable?
How about the transformation scene? I saw that one in the broadway videos and it looked good. So I'm wondering how they adapted that.

I'm planning on visiting the show over summer holiday, so I hope they fix some stuff; most notable the inclusion of Vanessa.
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

WillytheDino wrote:
Toky wrote:Just returned home after a visit to the show.....

What about the changes from the Dutch songs of the original movie version? I've seen in previews that they changed the lyrics. Is it notable?
How about the transformation scene? I saw that one in the broadway videos and it looked good. So I'm wondering how they adapted that.

I'm planning on visiting the show over summer holiday, so I hope they fix some stuff; most notable the inclusion of Vanessa.
First I'm sure they are not gonna change a thing about the show anymore, since i saw it in Heerlen and the audience seemed to love it, especially the children did... So no vanessa :( ....but they did have a sort of Huge ursula, which was really funny :p
the translations were done quite good in my opinion, as far as i remember also quite close to the dutch movie translation, except for poor unfortunate souls, which became: 'het leven is zwaar'....the transformation scene was not spectacular( the show actually lacked real wow effects), since Ariel just loses her robe in the air with some light effects :)
I thought the show was just cute in its own way and should have been given a bigger budget to add in more effects and a better decor :) It has lost it's Disney touch somehow, which the broadway show captured better and its definitly not more mature ....

The only thing I really didn't like were some referrals to other Disney movies/ musicals, like when Eric asks Ariel for her name, he guesses: Jasmine, Jane, Belle...and a scene were Scutter suddenly says: supercalifragelisticexpealidocious :p (I was like: ooo no, facepalm).
Flounder did even make a joke about a yellow sponge living on the bottom of the ocean, which can talk( spongebob :o )
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

Wait. So there is a Spongebob reference in this muscial?

:shifty:
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

supertalies wrote:Wait. So there is a Spongebob reference in this muscial?

:shifty:
Jep :P The children didn't even get the joke, the adults did, but it felt too forced...

a youtube user posted live recordings of the dutch version

http://www.youtube.com/user/spinazieblik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pau8s7wr ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr2fhbAK2sk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrDmaIaQ ... ature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O7PtvT8 ... ature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWRBodkq ... ure=relmfu
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

Toky wrote:
WillytheDino wrote: What about the changes from the Dutch songs of the original movie version? I've seen in previews that they changed the lyrics. Is it notable?

First I'm sure they are not gonna change a thing about the show anymore, since i saw it in Heerlen and the audience seemed to love it, especially the children did... So no vanessa :( ....but they did have a sort of Huge ursula, which was really funny :p
the translations were done quite good in my opinion, as far as i remember also quite close to the dutch movie translation, except for poor unfortunate souls, which became: 'het leven is zwaar'....the transformation scene was not spectacular( the show actually lacked real wow effects), since Ariel just loses her robe in the air with some light effects :)
I thought the show was just cute in its own way and should have been given a bigger budget to add in more effects and a better decor :) It has lost it's Disney touch somehow, which the broadway show captured better and its definitly not more mature ....

The only thing I really didn't like were some referrals to other Disney movies/ musicals, like when Eric asks Ariel for her name, he guesses: Jasmine, Jane, Belle...and a scene were Scutter suddenly says: supercalifragelisticexpealidocious :p (I was like: ooo no, facepalm).
Flounder did even make a joke about a yellow sponge living on the bottom of the ocean, which can talk( spongebob :o )
Listening to the cast recording of Ursula's songs, I would swear it's the voice actress that plays Morgana in the Dutch version of the sequel? Is this correct?
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

WillytheDino wrote:Listening to the cast recording of Ursula's songs, I would swear it's the voice actress that plays Morgana in the Dutch version of the sequel? Is this correct?
Yep... 8)
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Thanks for the clips! Is there a song list somewhere?
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

Khonnor wrote:
WillytheDino wrote:Listening to the cast recording of Ursula's songs, I would swear it's the voice actress that plays Morgana in the Dutch version of the sequel? Is this correct?
Yep... 8)
That's funny. And weird.
tsom wrote:Thanks for the clips! Is there a song list somewhere?
Yes, there is. It's from wikipedia, so I don't know if it's legit, but anyway.

Overture - Orchestra
De Duistere Diepte Benee - Eric, Grimbert en de Zeemannen --> Fathoms Below
Dochters Van Triton - Zussen --> Daughters of Triton
Het Bovenland* - Ariel --> The World Above
Pappie's Kleine Meisje* - Ursula, Gruwel en Griezel --> A new song, there was no broadway version of this one.
Daar Ligt Mijn Hart - Ariel --> Part of your world
Daar Ligt Mijn Hart (Reprise) - Ariel --> Poyw reprise
Ze Is Verliefd* - Zussen en Botje --> She's in love
Haar Stem* - Eric --> Her voice
Het Bovenland (Reprise)* - Triton --> The world above (reprise)
Onder De Zee - Sebastiaan en de Zeedieren --> Under the sea
Onder De Zee (Reprise)* - Sebastiaan en de Zeedieren --> Uts reprise
Lief Kind* - Gruwel en Griezel --> Sweet child
Ja, Het Leven Is Zwaar - Ursula --> Poor unfortunate souls

Human Stuff got cut, along with I want the good times back (but that's replaced with the new ursula song) Storm at sea isn't there either. EDIT: Yes, it is there.

Pozetieverik* - Jutter en de zeemeeuwen --> Positoovity
Mooier Dan In Mijn Mooiste Droom* - Ariel --> Beyond my wildest dreams
Les Poissons - Chef Louis --> Les Poissons
Les Poissons (Reprise)* - Chef Louis en koks --> Les Poissons reprise
Zonder Woorden* - Eric --> One step closer
Pappie's Kleine Meisje (Reprise)* - Ursula --> reprise of the new song
Kus D'r Dan - Sebastiaan en dieren --> Kiss the girl
Lief Kind (Reprise)* - Gruwel en Griezel --> Sweet child (reprise)
Ik Wou Maar... (Quartet)* - Ariel, Eric, Sebastiaan, and Triton --> If only
The Concours* - Grimbert en de Prinsessen --> The contest
Ja, Het Leven Is Zwaar (Reprise)* - Ursula --> Poor unfortanute souls (reprise)
Ik Wou Maar... (Reprise)* - Triton --> If only (reprise)
Finale - Ariel, Eric en Company --> Finale
Last edited by WillytheDino on Mon May 21, 2012 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

Khonnor wrote:
Yep... 8)
I actually discovered this a while ago. I think it's kind of funny, especially since the Ursula from the musical is more funny and looks a little like Morgana, personality-wise. :P