The Little Mermaid on Broadway

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

supertalies wrote:New pictures!

The underwater wigs are awful! What were they thinking? :shock:

Umm..........EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW! The under the sea wig is ugly! I kind of stick with the broadway version.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

candydog wrote:I mean just try and put a straightforward adaptation of the movie on stage like they did with Beauty and the Beast. The story doesn't need rewriting, just adapting and fleshing out in a few areas. The sets and costumes don't have to be "cutting edge new design concepts" either. It worked for The Lion King, but that show had a full animal cast and a completely different setting. How about we have mermaids that look like mermaids? Fish that look like fish? Don't re-imagine The Little Mermaid, it doesn't need it. People just want to enjoy it. It should be familiar, but at the same time something new, without alienating its audience.
Yes, yes, yes. Exactly. Completely. They need to just do all of that, and the reason they think it needs to be different is just because of the Lion King.

Well, there is the small problem of making mermaids and sea creatures under the sea...hence why they probably think they can't be "literal", but Disney's always been good at making magical illusions, so, they should really just do that, make a really good illusion that actually looks like things swimming under the sea.

And The Voyage of The Little Mermaid was pretty good. If they just did what they did in that, a blacklit stage and certain parts of the costumes vibrant while other parts all black, that could work couldn't it?

There was a production of this show that used an idea like that, and it actually worked fairly well. Did it look professional? No. But it just needs more professional work to create the magic of an underwater tail.

I'll be honest though, using wires for the swimming scenes is probably best, because then it creates more levels instead of the actors always being at the bottom of the stage in such scenes. And wires have to be used when she goes up to the ship and rescues Eric anway.

As for the wigs, does anyone think a wig that looked like this kind of hair would be good?:
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

I think wigs that looked like that would actually look better than the pointy wigs.

And I do have to agree on the pink dress. That one was also very pretty. I think I like both equally. However, I do like that the green dress tries to incorporate some elements from Ariel's mermaid form.

Also, I agree they shouldn't have changed the ending from the movie. I mean, would it be so hard to have another actress play Vanessa? She doesn't even have to act, just sing.
I mean, I agree they probably won't find two actresses who sound exactly alike to play Ariel and Vanessa, but I don't think they have to sound exactly the same. As long as they both have beautiful voices and don't sound too different it should be good. Maybe the understudy for Ariel could play Vanessa?

Ow, well. I think it's probably too late to change the ending now. :wink:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks!

They could just have Ariel's voice pre-recorded and from the speakers or some place in the stage. I think it makes sense because Vanessa didn't really talk with that voice anyway, so if it didn't sound like it was really coming from her - that fits. And if they kept to the movie, she might only need to sing once, from kind of far off, and then have the fewest of lines and noises. And if it was the same actress who played Ursula, she could just switch from Ariel's voice to her own when she wanted, in case she had to sing her own song like All Good Things Must End.
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

Compared to Broadway:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Don't tell me that guy between Ariel and Grismby is King Triton?! :shock:

Okay, really. I don't know, but some of these new costumes, for some reason, just don't seem to click for me. I'm especially not too fond of Triton, Flounder, Sebastian or Scuttle's costumes.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

O.M.G.

I seriously am nearly crying from laughing out loud about Ariel's wig.

How awful!!!! What the hell were they thinking!?!
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

DisneyJedi wrote:Don't tell me that guy between Ariel and Grismby is King Triton?! :shock:

Okay, really. I don't know, but some of these new costumes, for some reason, just don't seem to click for me. I'm especially not too fond of Triton, Flounder, Sebastian or Scuttle's costumes.
I think Flounder, Sebastian and Scuttle's costumes are fine, but TRITON'S! OMG! :o GOOD GOODNESS! What the heck were they thinking?!
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

I'm going to see the show this saturday, so really exciting, though it looks kind-off cheapass haha...

Anyway i'll let you all know what it was like :) and hopefully there will be posters or something to make pictures of...
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

At the sight of Scuttle, I thought of the anthromorphic bird in The Neverending Story II movie.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

That bird from Neverending Story II looks more bird-like than Scuttle does in either the Broadway or Netherland productions! :lol:
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

I actually do like the costume for Scuttle

The one for Triton, however.. :headshake:
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

supertalies wrote:I actually do like the costume for Scuttle

The one for Triton, however.. :headshake:

Yes, why not a costume that shows his bare chest?
Last edited by BelleGirl on Tue May 15, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

I got 4 extra tickets!

So, anyone who's visiting Holland in July and would like tickets (row 11, very good seats) just let me know...they'll be cheaper than the actual selling price ofcourse!

Or anyone who would like to join me...just send me a message! :)

:)
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

Khonnor wrote:I got 4 extra tickets!

So, anyone who's visiting Holland in July and would like tickets (row 11, very good seats) just let me know...they'll be cheaper than the actual selling price ofcourse!

Or anyone who would like to join me...just send me a message! :)

:)
Well I'm interested but I'm not allowed to send you a PM. In which theatre does this performance take place? I know this musical goes on tour through The Netherlands.

Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

There is a Facebook page for the musical, It gets updated with new pictures all the time.....costumes look horrible in my opinion

http://nl-nl.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi ... =1&theater
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

BelleGirl wrote:Well I'm interested but I'm not allowed to send you a PM. In which theatre does this performance take place? I know this musical goes on tour through The Netherlands.

Hi, strange you're not allowed to send me a PM...I;ll check my inbox...maybe it's full.

The show is for July 12 which is in The Hague... :)
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

Khonnor wrote:
BelleGirl wrote:Well I'm interested but I'm not allowed to send you a PM. In which theatre does this performance take place? I know this musical goes on tour through The Netherlands.

Hi, strange you're not allowed to send me a PM...I;ll check my inbox...maybe it's full.

The show is for July 12 which is in The Hague... :)
In the World Forum theatre.
I don't think the reason I cannot send you a PM is because your inbox is full: It's never been possible for me since I joined this discussion forum. It was UD's policy at the time not to allow new members to send them.

PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

The costumes look like ass.

:shock: