DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:36 am 
Platinum Edition

Holy **** those wigs are awful.

Seriously, if you're going to have a floating effect, you gotta rig the hair; not just style it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:44 am 
Platinum Edition

ajmrowland wrote:

Seriously, if you're going to have a floating effect, you gotta rig the hair; not just style it.

Or develop a wig that is a little curved upward and moves very lightly in a way that looks like its floating. I swear their must be some way to do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:32 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

ajmrowland wrote:

Yes, exactly! Not have them looking like clones of Frankenstein's bride! :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:18 pm 
Super Genius

Disney Duster wrote:
Ariel's land dress and hair are gooorgeous! Perfect! Well, I think the dress should be longer, but...oh well.

Really? I think the colour, fish-scale pattern & all those bows are hideous. As for her land hair, I'm not too fond of the usual mermaid crimps. I think the Original Broadway production did a much better job than this one.

But, that's the point of a preview, to see what works & what doesn't. It appears they have A LOT to work out. Maybe The Little Mermaid just does not translate well to the stage :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:27 pm 
Platinum Edition

A lot of people here said they like Ariel's green land dress.

But I will admit that the Broadway version did Ariel's pink dress well (except that should have been longer, too). It's hard to pull off pink with red hair and they actually did it.

The Little Merboy wrote:
Maybe The Little Mermaid just does not translate well to the stage :cry:

I believe nothing is impossible! I also believe that they've just had people making crappy, crappy decisions.

The Little Mermaid was already transferred to stage fantastically in Voyage of The Little Mermaid, so there is that, and so also then there's always hope!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:52 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney Duster wrote:
The Little Mermaid was already transferred to stage fantastically in Voyage of The Little Mermaid, so there is that, and so also then there's always hope!

Yeah, but that's a theme park show. :\

Anyways, one thing I hope they fix during previews are those stupid underwater wigs. At least for Ariel and any other mermaids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:04 pm 
Special Edition

I think that the Broadway production in particular was a little too ambitious in terms of what it tried to do artistically. This new European production seems to be suffering a little in some areas from the same problem, but it still sounds rather promising.

It could all have been simplified. I mean just try and put a straightforward adaptation of the movie on stage like they did with Beauty and the Beast. The story doesn't need rewriting, just adapting and fleshing out in a few areas. The sets and costumes don't have to be "cutting edge new design concepts" either. It worked for The Lion King, but that show had a full animal cast and a completely different setting. How about we have mermaids that look like mermaids? Fish that look like fish? Don't re-imagine The Little Mermaid, it doesn't need it. People just want to enjoy it. It should be familiar, but at the same time something new, without alienating its audience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:56 pm 
Limited Edition

supertalies wrote:
New pictures!

The underwater wigs are awful! What were they thinking? :shock:

Umm..........EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW! The under the sea wig is ugly! I kind of stick with the broadway version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:03 am 
Platinum Edition

candydog wrote:
I mean just try and put a straightforward adaptation of the movie on stage like they did with Beauty and the Beast. The story doesn't need rewriting, just adapting and fleshing out in a few areas. The sets and costumes don't have to be "cutting edge new design concepts" either. It worked for The Lion King, but that show had a full animal cast and a completely different setting. How about we have mermaids that look like mermaids? Fish that look like fish? Don't re-imagine The Little Mermaid, it doesn't need it. People just want to enjoy it. It should be familiar, but at the same time something new, without alienating its audience.

Yes, yes, yes. Exactly. Completely. They need to just do all of that, and the reason they think it needs to be different is just because of the Lion King.

Well, there is the small problem of making mermaids and sea creatures under the sea...hence why they probably think they can't be "literal", but Disney's always been good at making magical illusions, so, they should really just do that, make a really good illusion that actually looks like things swimming under the sea.

And The Voyage of The Little Mermaid was pretty good. If they just did what they did in that, a blacklit stage and certain parts of the costumes vibrant while other parts all black, that could work couldn't it?

There was a production of this show that used an idea like that, and it actually worked fairly well. Did it look professional? No. But it just needs more professional work to create the magic of an underwater tail.

I'll be honest though, using wires for the swimming scenes is probably best, because then it creates more levels instead of the actors always being at the bottom of the stage in such scenes. And wires have to be used when she goes up to the ship and rescues Eric anway.

As for the wigs, does anyone think a wig that looked like this kind of hair would be good?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:41 am 
Collector's Edition

I think wigs that looked like that would actually look better than the pointy wigs.

And I do have to agree on the pink dress. That one was also very pretty. I think I like both equally. However, I do like that the green dress tries to incorporate some elements from Ariel's mermaid form.

Also, I agree they shouldn't have changed the ending from the movie. I mean, would it be so hard to have another actress play Vanessa? She doesn't even have to act, just sing.
I mean, I agree they probably won't find two actresses who sound exactly alike to play Ariel and Vanessa, but I don't think they have to sound exactly the same. As long as they both have beautiful voices and don't sound too different it should be good. Maybe the understudy for Ariel could play Vanessa?

Ow, well. I think it's probably too late to change the ending now. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:51 am 
Platinum Edition

Thanks!

They could just have Ariel's voice pre-recorded and from the speakers or some place in the stage. I think it makes sense because Vanessa didn't really talk with that voice anyway, so if it didn't sound like it was really coming from her - that fits. And if they kept to the movie, she might only need to sing once, from kind of far off, and then have the fewest of lines and noises. And if it was the same actress who played Ursula, she could just switch from Ariel's voice to her own when she wanted, in case she had to sing her own song like All Good Things Must End.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:15 am 
Collector's Edition

Compared to Broadway:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:15 pm 
Platinum Edition

New Commercial

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YH3VVrBGORg" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:19 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Don't tell me that guy between Ariel and Grismby is King Triton?! :shock:

Okay, really. I don't know, but some of these new costumes, for some reason, just don't seem to click for me. I'm especially not too fond of Triton, Flounder, Sebastian or Scuttle's costumes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:13 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

O.M.G.

I seriously am nearly crying from laughing out loud about Ariel's wig.

How awful!!!! What the hell were they thinking!?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:43 pm 
Limited Edition

DisneyJedi wrote:
Don't tell me that guy between Ariel and Grismby is King Triton?! :shock:

Okay, really. I don't know, but some of these new costumes, for some reason, just don't seem to click for me. I'm especially not too fond of Triton, Flounder, Sebastian or Scuttle's costumes.

I think Flounder, Sebastian and Scuttle's costumes are fine, but TRITON'S! OMG! :o GOOD GOODNESS! What the heck were they thinking?!

FAVORITE DISNEY MOVIES: All of the Disney Princess and Pixar movies, Meet the Robinsons, Enchanted, The Lion King, High School Musical 3, Toy Story 3, and Lilo and Stitch :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:15 pm 
Special Edition

I'm going to see the show this saturday, so really exciting, though it looks kind-off cheapass haha...

Anyway i'll let you all know what it was like :) and hopefully there will be posters or something to make pictures of...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:56 pm 
Limited Edition

At the sight of Scuttle, I thought of the anthromorphic bird in The Neverending Story II movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:34 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

That bird from Neverending Story II looks more bird-like than Scuttle does in either the Broadway or Netherland productions! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:54 am 
Collector's Edition

I actually do like the costume for Scuttle

The one for Triton, however.. :headshake:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next