Once Upon a Time (ABC TV Series)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Hard to believe that we are at the end of the First Season. Tonight's Season Finale looks to be a really good cliff-hangar, and then we can wait for three months or more to find out what happens. I love this show, love the actors, and am starting to like the Fairy Tale parts a lot more.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Tae
Limited Issue

Post by Tae »

Disney Duster wrote:Anyway, I am so, so, so super excited for this (*sniffle*) last epsiode, and I feel like...I dunno I thought this series was actually only going to be one season at first and now I won't get to see the big conclusion but have to wait a whole Summer for a whole nother season, but now I see I should be, and am, really happy this thing will have so much more before the big conclusion!
dvdjunkie wrote:Hard to believe that we are at the end of the First Season. Tonight's Season Finale looks to be a really good cliff-hangar, and then we can wait for three months or more to find out what happens. I love this show, love the actors, and am starting to like the Fairy Tale parts a lot more.
Tonight's episode is Apple Red as Blood, episode 21. Season finale is Land Without Magic, episode 22.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Who gives a rat's patootie what the name of the episode is? You have to quit getting involved in a television show that is meant to stand on its own without any of the comparisons to the Disney characters.

All week long they promoted tonight's episode as the Season Finale, but I stand corrected because they showed the previews to next weeks show announcing it was the Season Finale.

Since I have other things more important in my life right now, like learning to walk on an artificial leg, so I just paid attention to what the promos on ABC were saying.

I really don't care if there is 21 episodes or 13, or 30, if I like a show, I like it and my world doesn't revolve around it. It is just entertainment. Every night on television should be just that - entertainment!!!
Tae
Limited Issue

Post by Tae »

Is your post supposed to be a response to mine? Because I have no idea what any of that has to do with me trying to be helpful and let you know you still have one more episode to look forward to.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

dvdjunkie wrote:All week long they promoted tonight's episode as the Season Finale, but I stand corrected because they showed the previews to next weeks show announcing it was the Season Finale.
Actually, they've been saying that there's just one more episode until the season finale. Which is definitely a weird way of putting it; they could've just said that there are two episodes left of the season instead of one more until the finale.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Thank You!!!!

Can't wait until next week. Actually I hope that the summer flies by so I won't have too many withdrawals for this show. Especially now that "Desperate Housewives" will no longer be on the Sunday night schedule.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

There's some things I forgot to say for the episode before this. One was I thought it was interesting that The Blue Fairy said the tree could save only two, but there was really a third person, Snow White's daughter, in her belly. The way I take it is that the tree could simply hold two people and someone not completely formed yet...or the tree is pro-choice, even though we have no idea how many months away the baby was, and the Blue Fairy seemed to predict that by the time the vessel was ready the baby would be far past the 4 months a pro-life tree would count as not a person.

Gepetto was a dick to Jiminy Cricket, saying his debt could never be paid. WTF. Yea, he's a good person but Pinocchio's a bad boy. Yea no. I also think it's pretty f-d up the Blue Fairy doesn't let Pinocchio stay a real boy no matter what since all real people are allowed to be however they want, but I had that problem with the original story too in a way and...well maybe her good magic only works to keep wood a real living person as long as their working to be good to help it, whatever.

The Blue Fairy lied again, and I thought she said fairies couldn't do that, but maybe she just meant fairies only lie if it's for good because they can only do good...

Now for this epsiode. Freaking loved it. Freaking amazing. Freaking wondeful. This time, I had like no problems at all! I mean, I wanted the Queen to become a hag and trick Snow White, but...it's not nearly as bad as the many other ways they changed the other fairy tales.

But I'm wondering if there is one problem: Regina said the magic wouldn't work unless the eater of the apple ate it by choice. I thought she meant that the eater had to eat the apple knowing what the magic in it would do to them, and accept it.

But for Emma, she was going to eat the apple turnover without any knowledge of the magic or choosing to accept it. So is that an error, or is it just that the eater has to just choose to eat the apple as opposed to it being forced, and Emma did choose to accept the turnover?

Tae, it looks like the Hatter episode didn't have realizations from the scar or make the hat work. Sorry. : ( You really had me consider the hat might have worked then.
Tae
Limited Issue

Post by Tae »

Disney Duster wrote:Tae, it looks like the Hatter episode didn't have realizations from the scar or make the hat work. Sorry. : ( You really had me consider the hat might have worked then.
I'm still waiting to see if they give an explanation for how he disappeared before Emma looked out the window. I'm just happy they brought the character back, I don't care much about my theories, but the idea that he managed to limp off after a fall like that doesn't make sense.

Some people think that the hat did work, but he was unable to get back to fairytale land (either because it's inaccessible due to the curse or because he didn't see the point without Grace), and so he took a door that led him back to Storybrooke. Not sure if I like that or not, especially considering his dialogue with Regina this episode, but I really hope they come up with something better then he survived a massive fall without any serious injuries. Otherwise... well, for awhile Hat Trick was everyone's favorite episode and having it end with the new character limping off seems kind of anti-climatic :lol:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You're right it doesn't make sense, but this show doesn't always make sense either. So what are we waiting to hear about how he escaped? For anything other than we just assumed he's so magical and crazy as the Hatter he scrambled off that quick? Hehe.

And hey, it wasn't everyone's favorite episode, just a lot of people you knew of! I'm guessing it was your favorite, too. :wink: It wasn't my perosnal favorite but was it one of the best? Hell yea it was. :D
Last edited by Disney Duster on Thu May 10, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Officially renewed for a second season!!!!
Tae
Limited Issue

Post by Tae »

@Disney Duster: True. I'm sure he'll say something about it next time he sees Emma, though; that is going to be a funny scene! Because of course, Emma can't actually arrest him without revealing to everyone that Mary Margaret ran away.

Haha, yes, it was and continues to be one of my favorites; actually, that whole block, with Red Handed, Heart of Darkness, Hat Trick, and Stable Boy, was very good. And the three episodes since then are pretty popular too (I liked them but they weren't personal favorites). Hopefully all this good writing will continue on into season 2!

Oh, I forgot about this until now, but there was one little thing that bothered me about the last episode. That was the fact that it was only then that Snow found out Daniel died. I mean... in Snow Falls, she tells Charming that she ruined the Queen's life, but in Stable Boy, all Snow knows is that Daniel 'ran away', and that it didn't have anything to do with her. So why would Snow Falls Snow think she ruined the Queen's life when she wasn't even aware of it yet? The only explanation is that the Queen told her more later on, but if she took the time to do that, why leave out the fact that Cora killed Daniel?
Not a big thing, but they treated it as a big reveal so it bugged me a bit.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

This show had a pretty epic season finale. I believe this has been a great first season; I'll probably get it on DVD come September.

*SPOILERS*
I'm glad that Emma finally believed, but I wasn't expecting them to break the curse in the finale though. I had no idea what Rumpelstiltskin was doing at the end or why the Hatter freed Belle from the asylum. I also hope Maleficent isn't gone for good; she never really got to do much.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

How come no one else is talking about thiiiisss?!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been busy myself, but wow, that really was one the best season endings you could ask for...except it also wasn't. : /

Like Divinity, and my mom, I didn't expect the curse to get broken! The preview of Emma with the sword had me thinking the ending of the series would be Emma believing and then getting others to believe, like Snow, Red, James, Jiminy, some others, and planning to fight the Queen and break the curse.

But I should have guessed the kiss of true love would do it. I'm guessing the "suprise" or twist we weren't supposed to see coming was Emma's love saving Henry, but I myself thought of similar ideas. When Henry, well, you know, I was like, no, he's gonna get saved, I know this show, and fairy tales. Then I was like, wait, no, maybe that's the season ending cliffhanger, that for a while, he really will be gone. So I tossed between that and knowing how true love and fairy tales work, especially when they kept talking about the magic of true love in the last two episodes.
Tae wrote:Haha, yes, it was and continues to be one of my favorites; actually, that whole block, with Red Handed, Heart of Darkness, Hat Trick, and Stable Boy, was very good. And the three episodes since then are pretty popular too (I liked them but they weren't personal favorites). Hopefully all this good writing will continue on into season 2!
Actually am I the only one who was dissapointed they were building up to a trail that didn't happen? I wanted to see the trial and then have her win the case from Mr. Gold's doing.
Tae wrote:Oh, I forgot about this until now, but there was one little thing that bothered me about the last episode. That was the fact that it was only then that Snow found out Daniel died. I mean... in Snow Falls, she tells Charming that she ruined the Queen's life, but in Stable Boy, all Snow knows is that Daniel 'ran away', and that it didn't have anything to do with her. So why would Snow Falls Snow think she ruined the Queen's life when she wasn't even aware of it yet? The only explanation is that the Queen told her more later on, but if she took the time to do that, why leave out the fact that Cora killed Daniel?
Not a big thing, but they treated it as a big reveal so it bugged me a bit.
Hm, this may have been an error on their part. Well remember in The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, Snow writes a letter to the Queen apologizing because she knew that the Queen was mad at her for telling. Since she asked "Are you mad?" when she knew she told the secret, even though she said no maybe as she grew up she could tell she really was mad, even though she didn't know how she ruined her life. Maybe she thought she made Daniel run away. I don't know. But yea, sounds like they botched that one up.
Tae
Limited Issue

Post by Tae »

I've been meaning to post, but I kept forgetting xD

Yeah, I really liked the season finale. It felt a bit rushed, but for what they were trying to do, I thought it was pretty good. And the special effects for the dragon were really good; not movie quality or anything, but I think they were some of the better effects this season.

My biggest complaints would be that Mr. Gold and Belle's reunion was so short, Emma was so calm about everything (I can believe the 'mother who will do anything for her son' thing, but she accepted the fact that she had to fight a dragon a little too easily I think), and that Maleficent was killed. She's literally the only villain we've seen in Storybrooke, and now she's dead?

Disney Duster, I know what you mean about the trial. Save Hat Trick, I much prefer the flashbacks in the episodes I mentioned to the Storybrooke parts; definitely a bit too much buildup for something that didn't even happen or affect the season's story too much. After The Return, everybody forgot the whole thing happened!

Ah, forgot about the letter. And you have a good point, maybe she did believe that he ran away because she told. But that's the one issue with the format of this show, I can see there being a lot of 'surprise reveals' down the line that contradict bits in previous episodes, just because there's so much timeline switching.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh yea, I agree with Tae and Divinity, Maleficent better not be dead, even though...for one of the greatest Disney villainesses, she was done poorly. I did think the dragon was impressive, a great design (though why wasn't it black or purple when they kept Maleficent purple?)but I actually kept feeling woeful of it and the effects. I still feel the best special effects were the ones in the episode where Rumplestiltskin loses his son. I dunno what it was about that episode, if it was because they didn't have to do much, I don't know. And they didn't show an awesome transformation! And I also thought it was weird they revealed her kind of twice, once in Enchanted Forest and once in Storybrooke, and I thought she should have been in the dark, not quite revealed in Enchanted Forest, then fully revealed in Storybrooke, and then you can see her just fine in both. Hard to explain. I like directing stuff and being picky, what can I say.
Tae wrote:But that's the one issue with the format of this show, I can see there being a lot of 'surprise reveals' down the line that contradict bits in previous episodes, just because there's so much timeline switching.
Not quite exactly getting that, because I'm me, lol. You mean you think the time switching makes it hard for them to keep track and they mess up?
Tae
Limited Issue

Post by Tae »

I definitely think Maleficent could have been done better, but for what it was worth, I did like her and I hope if she does stay dead, they really give her the spotlight in the eventual Sleeping Beauty episode. For such an iconic villain, I was really surprised they used her so little.
That actually would have been a pretty cool way to show her for the first time, and it would coincide with constant switching between Charming and Emma. Too bad they didn't think of it.

No problem. Well, yeah, that's part of it. The thing is that there's of course multiple writers, and just like any show there's going to be little mistakes here and there, like the Snow Falls line, that letter, and the reveal in Apple Red as Blood not quite adding up. But since there's so many characters, and they do so much back-and-forth even in the flashbacks (like how the first two episodes and episode 20 show the same set of events from different viewpoints), then unless the creators keep careful note of every little important line, there's going to be slip-ups along the way. I don't really mind, since I love this show's approach to showing backstories, but it is a small flaw with the show, you know?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

How did I forget the one other thing. I thought it was weird how David rejected Regina, apologized to Mary Margaret, and said he was feeling love, and asked Mary Margaret to go with him, and she just let him go. Without a tear. Without hardly any hesitation. Just because she previously said "dark forces were keeping them apart"?

And yea, also because he was douchey, but...seeing her be so cold to him, while he was truly in love with her, and then when the spells broken, even though he was always wanting to be with her, that's when she comes running back...I felt very bad and ill when I should have been rejoicing like the first time they got back together in episode 7:15 A.M.

Either she should have shown more that she wanted to be with him but couldn't, or she should have thought he was a douche so didn't get back with him (yet) even after the curse ended. I also wonder if people's opinions here on the David effected my thinking of him too much, but I hope I'm not that impressionable...I don't think it's that.
Tae wrote:That actually would have been a pretty cool way to show her for the first time, and it would coincide with constant switching between Charming and Emma. Too bad they didn't think of it.
Aw thanks! I also agree on Maleficent. And what you said about the show's baskstories and why they may be having such slip-ups.
Tae
Limited Issue

Post by Tae »

My best friend used to have to deal with me rattling on about the show, but she always forgot to watch it on Sunday nights. A few months ago we finally watched a few episodes, 15, 17, and 18; I'd explained a lot of things to her already and that way she would know what was going on when she watched the new episodes on TV. Now that the season's over, we're going back and watching all of the earlier episodes she's never seen; 1-11, 13, 14, and 16. It's a lot of fun :3 Next time I see her we'll be watching True North, just six more episodes to go and she'll be all caught up.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Cool. Let us know if the show unveils any big new things we didn't catch before, or answers things like if the Queen must've told Snow White about Daniel earlier or not.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage