Cinderella: Diamond Edition - ETA 2012

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Something I love is that Cinderella is the 12th Disney animated classic...and it's coming out in 2012...and Cinderella iconically left her slipper when the spell ended at the stroke of 12! Isn't that cool?!!!

Lazario...using music not from the film is okay, you haven't had a problem with that for other trailers, have you. As for the voices, they actually may have HAD to have been re-dubbed. The reason is because I think the film was made so long ago they never made (or can find) the seperate audio track of just the character's voices apart from the music track. In the French version of the same trailer you hate, they used the voices from the French dubbing and you could hear the parts of the music during those parts of the film from which they originally said the lines, and it was very distracting and clashing with the music.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Dubbing lines for a Cinderella trailer isn't new. They did so in 1987:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UytzVcVbqZI

I'm not saying it's right, but it's not the first time and I doubt will be the last sadly.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

monorail91 wrote:Lazario I love your picture. "Mayer should know the price I pay!!!"
Thank you. (And... secret-time: I don't actually like the movie. It's just this image, clearly a promotional thing or behind the scenes snap, that really struck me as interesting.)

Image (Posting it here this way as reference, I'm changing my avatar today.)

Flanger-Hanger wrote:Dubbing lines for a Cinderella trailer isn't new. They did so in 1987:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UytzVcVbqZI
Oh GOD I know that. I wish I could forget or not care. But this time, literally (I noticed), that they chose to remove ALL of the film's original identity from marketing except for the animation. Which means they thought the animation would work in today's (shitty) brand of moviemaking but nothing else about the movie would. But they are selling a movie made in the late 1940's. They should KNOW that and they should also know that everyone else knows it's an old movie. If they're doing this because American children are so poorly educated- it makes them look like bigger idiots than the way they clearly feel about the people they're insulting. I don't expect commercials selling cereal or cars or beer to be honest and intelligent but an artistic property that is historically respected is something different. If they want to cannibalize the movie, they have their whole Princess Franchise outlet to do that in. But doing this continues to teach people to not respect Disney or anything they did.

And as for them dubbing over lines- well, I remember Peter Pan ads and ads for other films from just a decade ago or less that only dubbed some lines over. They actually left others untouched. And you also got the original music. It also bothered me that the ad wasn't trying to sell the movie as a package. If it's any kind of anniversary thing, which they always say it is, they should be trying to sell DVD Bonus Features. The trailer itself could literally be viewed as an attack on the movie with very little persuasion on my part.

SWillie! wrote:I mean it's definitely dumb, but it's just the trailer... Half the time when NEW movies come out their trailer has dialogue and music that isn't in the film.
You have an interesting point here. You're saying Disney is selling Cinderella the way a studio would sell a new movie. And you might be right.

But when you say dialogue that isn't in the movie, you're suggesting that they include scenes deleted from the movie. This is a long tradition and it has nothing to do with as I detailed white-washing over a film's artistic heritage (you know what I mean). When a Hollywood studio edits together a trailer for a not-yet-released film, they don't know what footage they have will end up in the film or not. The feature film itself is still in editing in another studio or department. This shows what a huge difference there is between selling a movie that is new and one that is an established classic.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

^Well, sometimes they do have dialog that wasnt recorded for the movie. Sometimes, they do an alternate voiceover take to substitute for narration, or narration itself and other times they just film new footage meant exclusively for advertising.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Lazario wrote:You have an interesting point here. You're saying Disney is selling Cinderella the way a studio would sell a new movie. And you might be right.
While I appreciate what you're saying about my favorite classic, I'm okay with the fact that's actually what they're doing aside from the possibly necessary re-recording of voices if they don't have seperate voice tracks. Also, when they have advertised a film so many times, they think they should do something new, hence things such as new music, and I think that's actually grat, though I admit, they should always keep the original voices.

There is one trailer I'd like you to look at, the best trailer I have ever seen for this film and unfortunately not an official trailer on DVDs but a dang TV spot not available on any home video releases I'm aware of. It seems the voice tracks actually are seperate or they just worked really hard at seperating them/masking the original music in them. Either way, this trailer should show you using new music ain't bad at all:
http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi4158456089/
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

WHAT THE--- They advertised a 2-disc Platinum Edition set... WITH A WHITE CASE???!!!

Yeah, that was a good trailer. And I don't believe they can't use dialogue from the movie.

ajmrowland wrote:^Well, sometimes they do have dialog that wasnt recorded for the movie. Sometimes, they do an alternate voiceover take to substitute for narration, or narration itself and other times they just film new footage meant exclusively for advertising.
But that doesn't fool anyone. They usually come right out and say: watch our movie. It's not there to deceive anyone. This kind of ad for Cinderella 2012 is definitely deceptive.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

I love that trailer! I used to watch it all the time! One of the best trailers for the movie, I agree.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That music is from around the time the original Perrault Cinderella was written, Vivaldi's "Storm". It's the kind of music I would try to make the musical have.

You know with all the images they've made for this release that I've found beautiful, using the transformation, swirling Disney dust, glowing light, and my favorite color from the film, that bluish purple, it feels like a dream come true and just makes me want to cry. Yea it sounds sappy but you hardly ever hear optimism from me so I had to say it!

Just in case anyone was curious, this cover for a new book for this release (the book will come out August 7th) kind of shows how the Blu-ray cover would look if the title was horizontal (aka right) and at the top.

ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Lazario wrote:
ajmrowland wrote:^Well, sometimes they do have dialog that wasnt recorded for the movie. Sometimes, they do an alternate voiceover take to substitute for narration, or narration itself and other times they just film new footage meant exclusively for advertising.
But that doesn't fool anyone. They usually come right out and say: watch our movie. It's not there to deceive anyone. This kind of ad for Cinderella 2012 is definitely deceptive.
It's not their to deceive anyone, but sometimes it's entertaining.
monorail91
Gold Classic Collection

Post by monorail91 »

Disney Duster wrote:Just in case anyone was curious, this cover for a new book for this release (the book will come out August 7th) kind of shows how the Blu-ray cover would look if the title was horizontal (aka right) and at the top.
Hahahahahhaha!
January 6, 2009 - Met Stephen Schwartz
September 4, 2009 - Met Tom Hulce
September 18, 2009 - Met Miley Cyrus
August 3, 2011 - Met John Musker
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Disney Duster wrote: Just in case anyone was curious, this cover for a new book for this release (the book will come out August 7th) kind of shows how the Blu-ray cover would look if the title was horizontal (aka right) and at the top.

My God, I just love the artwork!
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

I just recently recieved that book as a gift lol

I wonder if the inside will be the same
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm actually really glad you asked about the book Christopher_TCUIH. By the way, that will always be my favorite cover or image from a Cinderella Golden Book, or perhaps any Cinderella book.

The book is called "A Big Golden Book" and while past Cinderella Golden Books have had 24 pages, and this one will be...64 pages. :D

So I would say no, this will not be the same inside. I actually think this is the same book that Floyd Norman talked about illustrating on his web site some months ago...

He wrote this
I spoke about “Cinderella’s” inspired style early this morning with a Disney art director. His work continues on a reboot of the Disney storybooks, and the masterful styling of Mary Blair and Claude Coates informs everything that is being done in the new “Cinderella” storybooks. Every frame of the Disney motion picture was studied in an effort to recreate the art styling that remains fresh even though the film was completed decades ago.
And (I think later) this
We're currently doing a refresh of one of the popular Disney story books here at Publishing. Jean-Paul and his talented team have done a remarkable job capturing the wonderful Disney animated feature in a beautiful new book that will be in the stores some months from now. Adding to the fun, we're continuously running a loop of the animated classic on our video monitor here in the building...

...As we wrap up work on the new Cinderella book, I thought it might be nice to look back on a Disney Studio that once was. We might also remember the wonderful and talented artists that were eager to visit Walt Disney's creative facility. A studio that was driven by artistic vision and not the pursuit of a buck.
Here's the blog I found it on with a really nice sketch of Helene Stanley (the live-action model for Cinderella):
Floyd Norman's Mr. Fun Blog - Cinderella
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Oh I see the difference with the "big" and "little" book now. Thank you for the information :)
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Christopher_TCUIH wrote:I just recently recieved that book as a gift lol

I wonder if the inside will be the same
Could you please post some pics with the book's illustrations? :)
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

German Blu-ray Cover:

And the Blu-ray and DVD Cover of both Sequels:
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ A DVD edition in a Blu-ray case? :?
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

blackcauldron85 wrote:^ A DVD edition in a Blu-ray case? :?
I was wondering the same thing... Anyone care to explain?
universALLove
Collector's Edition

Post by universALLove »

Scamander wrote:German Blu-ray Cover:
The cover looks really nice now, especially with all the added Disney magic dust towards the top half and the font looks so much better horizontal, fingers crossed the UK cover will be the same as this... The "Lady and the Tramp" mock-up cover had vertically aligned font and the final ended up being horizontal, so here's hoping Cindy will be the same. :D