Disney White Clamshell VHS Tapes

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Guitarman

Disney White Clamshell VHS Tapes

Post by Guitarman »

As a lifelong Disney fan, one area of Disney Home Video I’ve always found interesting was the series of white clamshell VHS tapes that Disney put out in the 80s. I’m old enough that I can remember going to video stores, and seeing those VHS tapes sitting on the shelf in the Disney section. One thing I’ve found interesting about them is that, unlike most DVD/Blu-Ray lines that Disney puts out nowadays, they were not limited to theatrical releases, but would sometimes be cartoon collections, or several episodes from the Disney anthology TV show, or some Disney films that have pretty much fallen into obscurity nowadays (and were probably only released on home video because they were new releases at the time). Does anybody have a complete list of the titles that were released through this line, or any further information about the line, or know of any good websites that would be a useful resource? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I remember that episodes of the New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh were released in the clamshell case.

Frankenpooh and
Spookable Pooh were two of the ones I remembered that were released that way.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I have 74 Disney titles on VHS in those wonderful White clamshell boxes. They were actually the best products to show off your video collection. We had a six-shelf bookshelf that we filled with only the Disney White Clamshells.

We will never get rid of those. Used video stores only give you 50 cents to a dollar for them anyway, so they are worth more to us for great memories.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

Some of these VHS clamshells resell for a lot of money via Amazon and ebay resellers, mostly only Walt's vintage live-action and TV anthology titles that have never been reissued on DVD - or are still extremely rare - like Dr. Syn, Prince and the Pauper, Escapade in Florence, The Horsemasters, Wonderful World of Disney animated titles, etc.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Like I said, most Used video stores and Pawn Shops give you a dollar or less for any VHS titles, be they in the White clamshell boxes or the regular Amaray or slipcover cases.

I would never buy from Amazon or eBay because of the rash of bootleggers out there. If you pay more than $2 for any Disney title on VHS, you are paying too much, I don't care how rare it is. VHS is equal to DVD as 78 rpm records are to CD's.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

>>If you pay more than $2 for any Disney title on VHS, you are paying too much, I don't care how rare it is. VHS is equal to DVD as 78 rpm records are to CD's.<<

It's not about the format, but the content. 78's with songs never issued on later formats are valuable too.

Naturally, true Disney issued VHS titles that are simply not otherwise available on later formats have high aftermarket value. Especially since the rights holders show little to no interest in reissuing certain titles -- like Walt's anthology shows and films. Too bad everything isn't on DVD...

Another good Disney VHS clamshell title for Walt collectors is "American Heroes" (a compilation of classic shorts -- not to be confused with the later DVD "American Legends") -- as it has the unedited version of "Pecos Bill" with the whole song and cigarettes!
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

Anyone got photos? I love VHS, personally I enjoy them more than DVDs and BDs... notsalgia factor, it was the first way I learned to watch movies.