The Little Mermaid on Broadway

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

They CAN NOT be serious! They got her costume wrong. :o

Nah, I'm jk (but i'm serious about that though). The wigs are TERRIBLE!!!!
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

RodryCroft wrote: and all that fabric stuff???
Well, supposedly the swimming looks really good when you see it live. It just doesn't look very special on these pictures.

Also, lots of people have been complaining on the official Twitter and Facebook about the wigs. So I still have hope they'll change it, since this are just try-out performances.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Funny thing- if this was some sort of avant garde photoshoot inspired by TLM, I'd love the wig. But since it's a stage show, I'd imagine those wigs would be incredibly distracting.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

I still don't like the hair! Why is it like that?! :(
The Little Merboy
Special Edition

Post by The Little Merboy »

supertalies wrote:The underwater wigs are awful! What were they thinking? :shock
I just died laughing!! WTF are they smoking over there?!?! Oh geez, is this taking place in Amsterdam? That is seriously hideous & ridiculous.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

One of my friends always used to make her hair look like that at parties, by putting a water bottle on her head and tying her hair up around the cap.

LOL, The Little Conehead.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Well...yea...okay...the wigs are awful.

I still love the idea of her hair flowing up, but I thought it would be loose and actually flow, like a special wig that moved. If only they could make one like that, and flowing more behin her than...straight up...

I'm glad we can see, though, that the long material up to her arms is indeed her fins! If they just made it smaller, and yes, more fin-like!

But Ursula's costume is great! Her wig is fantastic too! Hell, if Ariel's hair was more like that it would be better, ha! I still think Ursula should have a more black dress though, and the people holding her tentacles should just be her poor infortunate souls, and the eels, but whatever.

Ariel's land dress and hair are gooorgeous! Perfect! Well, I think the dress should be longer, but...oh well.
tsom wrote:I can see why Positoovity should be cut, but if you start Act Two with Beyond My Wildest Dreams, it would take a while before there's any singing in the second act. Therefore, I can see why Positoovity stayed.

Duster, what's wrong with One Step Closer? It's so romantic in my opinion! Better than Her Voice.
Well then I wish Positoovity was just a better song. Or why not move Her Voice to it's spot, where after Ariel dresses, we cut to Eric singing that song, and then he finds her. Like when we see Eric saying "I can't get that girl out of my head" after Ariel surfaces in the original movie.

As for One Step Closer, knowing that it's taken from "jig" in the original movie, I've heard that tune played much better. The song is a beautiful idea, but I don't know if they really did the melody properly or that the lyrics are good enough to really make the idea something great and useful for the show. I feel similarly about Such Wondrous Things regarding the melody.
supertalies wrote:Ursula doesn't sound more evil, but I think her actions are far more evil than just wanting to get her kingdom back...The Ursula in the movies never killed anyone and was just very good at making deals and using magic...But that's just my opinion. I guess everyone's definition of 'evil' is different. :)
Well actually I fully agree and say you are right for saying Ursula is more eil in actions. What I was saying was that...well okay, the reason people didn't think she was evil in the Broadway version was because of her new song and the way they portrayed her, right? Her actions were still the same as the film's though. And I'm saying that in this show, she has more evil actions, but her song doesn't make her sound more evil, it's stilled played for comedy. So...I dunno, I think her new song should sound more like Poor Unfortunate Souls or actually possibly even Wasting Away, for some reason that song just sounds good to me and I don't know why they didn't stick with it. It sounded more...cabaret, like Poor Unfortunate Souls.

Even after what you said, I'm still concerned about Triton's letting Ariel marry only after the revelation though. : (

But ha, I so agree with you about Ursula and Triton being siblings making little sense because of...well because the movie didn't really do much with it and yea, they're an octopus and a mermaid! Of course, for the same reason I don't know how Triton can produce mermaids with such different hair and tail colors, so since I accept that I can still accept the octopus thing and chock it up to Poseidon being a Greek god so it's kind of a magical/divine thing going on not like real scientific genetics lol. They probably only considered that for the film when she was going to be just a mermaid anyway.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

The Little Merboy wrote:Oh geez, is this taking place in Amsterdam?
What's that supposed to mean?
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

PatrickvD wrote:
Well, the costumes were designed by an American... :P
The Little Merboy
Special Edition

PatrickvD wrote:
Like whoever thought those wigs are okay, is obviously high.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

The Little Merboy wrote:
PatrickvD wrote: What's that supposed to mean?
Like whoever thought those wigs are okay, is obviously high.
Sorry for my tone. I'm just sick of moronic tourists asking me 'where I buy my weed'.

Because naturally, we're all drug addicts.
The Little Merboy
Special Edition

PatrickvD wrote:
The Little Merboy wrote: Like whoever thought those wigs are okay, is obviously high.
Sorry for my tone. I'm just sick of moronic tourists asking me 'where I buy my weed'.

Because naturally, we're all drug addicts.
I've been to Amsterdam, lovely place. I did get stoned there, best I've ever had. Nothing against you, or your city. It was a joke; as are those wigs.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Holy **** those wigs are awful.

Seriously, if you're going to have a floating effect, you gotta rig the hair; not just style it.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

ajmrowland wrote:Holy **** those wigs are awful.

Seriously, if you're going to have a floating effect, you gotta rig the hair; not just style it.
Or develop a wig that is a little curved upward and moves very lightly in a way that looks like its floating. I swear their must be some way to do that.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

ajmrowland wrote:Holy **** those wigs are awful.

Yes, exactly! Not have them looking like clones of Frankenstein's bride! :x
The Little Merboy
Special Edition

Disney Duster wrote:Ariel's land dress and hair are gooorgeous! Perfect! Well, I think the dress should be longer, but...oh well.
Really? I think the colour, fish-scale pattern & all those bows are hideous. As for her land hair, I'm not too fond of the usual mermaid crimps. I think the Original Broadway production did a much better job than this one.

But, that's the point of a preview, to see what works & what doesn't. It appears they have A LOT to work out. Maybe The Little Mermaid just does not translate well to the stage :cry:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

A lot of people here said they like Ariel's green land dress.

But I will admit that the Broadway version did Ariel's pink dress well (except that should have been longer, too). It's hard to pull off pink with red hair and they actually did it.
The Little Merboy wrote:Maybe The Little Mermaid just does not translate well to the stage :cry:
I believe nothing is impossible! I also believe that they've just had people making crappy, crappy decisions.

The Little Mermaid was already transferred to stage fantastically in Voyage of The Little Mermaid, so there is that, and so also then there's always hope!
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Disney Duster wrote:The Little Mermaid was already transferred to stage fantastically in Voyage of The Little Mermaid, so there is that, and so also then there's always hope!
Yeah, but that's a theme park show. :\

Anyways, one thing I hope they fix during previews are those stupid underwater wigs. At least for Ariel and any other mermaids.
candydog
Gold Classic Collection

Post by candydog »

I think that the Broadway production in particular was a little too ambitious in terms of what it tried to do artistically. This new European production seems to be suffering a little in some areas from the same problem, but it still sounds rather promising.

It could all have been simplified. I mean just try and put a straightforward adaptation of the movie on stage like they did with Beauty and the Beast. The story doesn't need rewriting, just adapting and fleshing out in a few areas. The sets and costumes don't have to be "cutting edge new design concepts" either. It worked for The Lion King, but that show had a full animal cast and a completely different setting. How about we have mermaids that look like mermaids? Fish that look like fish? Don't re-imagine The Little Mermaid, it doesn't need it. People just want to enjoy it. It should be familiar, but at the same time something new, without alienating its audience.