Maleficent (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Well, I may have been living under a rock, but I got this information today.

http://d23.disney.go.com/news/2012/04/a ... aleficent/
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Imelda Staunton, Miranda Richardson Joining Angelina Jolie in 'Maleficent'
Staunton and Manville are playing Knotgrass and Flittle, respectively, two of the three pixies that end up taking care of Aurora. (They were fairies in the original tales.)
No, no no no no no no no! :( They can't change the names of the Fairies! and they are not pixies either!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... son-320955

edit- they sound like names from the Disney Fairies Franchise! This ain't no Tinker Bell move. :x
Last edited by DisneyDude2010 on Mon May 07, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

DisneyDude2010 wrote:Imelda Staunton, Miranda Richardson Joining Angelina Jolie in 'Maleficent'
Staunton and Manville are playing Knotgrass and Flittle, respectively, two of the three pixies that end up taking care of Aurora. (They were fairies in the original tales.)
HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII, DISNEY! Their names are Flora and Fauna!!!!!! NOT KNOTGRASS AND FLITTLE! WHAT THE HECK?! It doesn't matter if they were in the original tale, this is the Disney movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x :x :x :x
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

It doesn't really make sense to change their names!

I mean, the movie is called 'Malificent', so it's obviously based on the Disney movie. Also, why keep the name of the king, who plays a smaller part than the fairies (not pixies!) in the Diney movie, but change their names?

Ow well, at least I like the actresses they picked :wink:
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

supertalies wrote:I mean, the movie is called 'Maleficent', so it's obviously based on the Disney movie. Also, why keep the name of the king, who plays a smaller part than the fairies in the Diney movie, but change their names?
I know. Why does Disney keep doing these sort of stuff? :roll:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

I totally agree. They are recognizable, iconic Disney Fairies! Why on earth would they change their names? It goes against the whole story! Do Pixies even have magic to produce dresses, make cakes and grant wishes?

I can't wait to hear Dusters views on this!
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

What's the freaking point of this being a live-action take on the animated film when you're ditching Flora, Fauna and Merryweather?
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

DisneyDude2012 wrote:I can't wait to hear Dusters views on this!
I can't wait either. :lol:

I do like the addition of Imelda Staunton though.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
candydog
Gold Classic Collection

Post by candydog »

Oh dear... Well maybe it's a mistake and they are in fact going to be the same fairies from the movie only with different names. After all, I can't tell you how many news reports I've read/heard that have called Maleficent "the evil queen". Calling the fairies "pixies" could be a similar error.

I really hope they are going to be at least based on Flora, Fauna and Merryweather. It seems a little silly to change important characters from the film this project is based on, especially seeing as they've kept so many other names/elements the same.

Otherwise, the two actresses they've cast are terrific. I'm just a little disappointed at the possible loss of my favourite Disney characters from the movie!
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

If the fairies are not called Flora, Fauna and Merryweather, than that's a horrible decision. What is Disney thinking?!
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Perhaps this is Linda Woolverton's way of showing off, just like when she/they came up with names for many of the characters in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland...

Reading that Hollywood Reporter article I have realised that this is not a live action version of Sleeping Beauty with some additional scenes for Maleficent like I had wanted, it's seems like a totally new story very loosely based on the Disney movie.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

So they have Miranda Richardson playing one of the good fairies and not having her play Maleficent?

WTF?!!?

And if you're going to have the movie be called Maleficent why even change the name of the fairies.

Look. Linda. Do us a favor. Stop trying to be too clever! OK? It's getting in the way of you actually making sense. What happened? You did such a good job with Beauty and the Beast and now you're writing essentially fanfics that should remain just that!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

HOW CAN YOU GET ANGELINA JOLIE TO PLAY MALEFICENT IN A FILM ALL ABOUT ONE OF DISNEY'S GREATEST VILLAINS, AND THEN F*** IT UP?!!!!!!!!!!!

I must thank DisneyDude and Disney's Divinity to make me feel like people actually care about what I say on this forum. I almost wanna a cry. Thanks guys lol.

Anyway, like a lot of people have said, it makes zero, zero, zero sense to have a movie entitled Maleficent but change all the rest of the names.

Linda Woolverton is now officially a menace that murders classic stories. Disney keeps her because she was good when she made Beauty and the Beast (and The Lion King?) and Alice made a lot of money despite her script.

But there is one thing that I think I may have realized. Maybe she calls them pixies to differentiate how Maleficent is different from them. Maybe she decided fairies would be beings without wings while pixies would have wings, as well as magical dust. It's still wrong according to the actual Disney films (and Shakespeare, lol), but having such a reasoning at least makes the idea bearable, if that's the case.

I'm badly hoping that they get their movie names later, but even if they do, that won't make things much better because the point of their names was that it represented their powers as fairies, one for plantlife and the other for animal life, another for weather. Maybe they do graduate to those names as they get their powers, who knows it's still mesed up.

Oh, but did anyone catch this?:
Sharlto Copley is Stefan, the half-human, half-fairy bastard son of the human king.
Um, bastard son? This may be the first time I know of Disney ever indicating that you can have babies with people other than your husband or wife...?!!!!
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Disney Duster wrote: Oh, but did anyone catch this?:
Sharlto Copley is Stefan, the half-human, half-fairy bastard son of the human king.
Um, bastard son? This may be the first time I know of Disney ever indicating that you can have babies with people other than your husband or wife...?!!!!
Maleficent is ment to be an adaption of an "Evil Fairy Godmother" from the original tale. Ehh... I hope it doesn't go down the line of Maleficent being Aurora's Grandmother and evidently Stefan being her son :?

Edit-
Maleficent
Richardson will play Queen Ulla, a fairy queen who is Maleficent’s aunt — and dislikes her niece.
Link- http://www.moviehole.net/201254032casti ... mwell-more

I give up! Is she a Fairy or a Pixie? and How can a Pixie be an aunt to Maleficent??
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

Disney Duster wrote:Oh, but did anyone catch this?:
Wait. So Stefan isn't just the king, but the king's son? Who is his mother? Malificent? That would mean that, if Stefan is still Aurora's father, Aurora is Malificent's granddaughter :?

Like someone said before, I was also hoping this would just be a retelling of the Disney movie with more scene's involving Malificent and her backstory but it looks like it will be a completly different story.

I am now genuinly curious what the story will be. I guess we have to accept this won't be like the Disney movie and enjoy whatever it's going to be now. :)
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Sotiris wrote:
supertalies wrote:I mean, the movie is called 'Maleficent', so it's obviously based on the Disney movie. Also, why keep the name of the king, who plays a smaller part than the fairies in the Diney movie, but change their names?
I know. Why does Disney keep doing these sort of stuff? :roll:
remember, not all name-changes are corporate decisions.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Well, however you feel about the name changes, Imelda Staunton is perfect casting.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
candydog
Gold Classic Collection

Post by candydog »

I read a link on another forum that in fact Miranda Richardson's character will not be one of the three fairies or pixies or whatever. She will indeed play Maleficent's aunt.

Imelda Staunton and Lesley Manville are the two actresses set to play Flittle and Knotgrass.

On the bright side, they have cast more mature actresses in the roles of the fairies/pixies so far, which indicates that the characters will most likely be at least based on the three good fairies from the original film.
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

It sounds like Linda Woolverton has gone wild again....Why does Disney have so much faith in her...I mean...writing a script for an animated movie doesn't mean she's capable of writing a script for a live action one. This whole 'Queen Ulla'(what a horrible name btw) thing and 'pixie king' sound to complicated and far-fetched.
Actually i'm scared of what Disney is going to do with the future projects of the live action Snowwhite and Cinderella.....
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Prince Edward wrote:Perhaps this is Linda Woolverton's way of showing off, just like when she/they came up with names for many of the characters in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland...
Yeah, but the Wonderland characters didn't really have actual names to begin with, just titles or something.