American Idol Season 11

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

This Wednesday, April 25, the Top Six American Idol Finalists take the music of Queen. This will be a real challenge for most of them, and song choice is going to be really important this week. We are getting so close to the Season Finale, it is make it or break it with song choice for the Idol contestants.

To help them along with Jimmy Iovine, will be Brian May and Roger Taylor, the two surviving original members of Queen. It should be interesting this week.

Katy Perry will join The Queen Extavaganza on Thursday night's Results Show, when we narrow it down to The Top Five.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

What a night for the Top Six on American Idol. It was a great way to say "Who's In It To Win It?" Each Idol contestant got to sing two songs, one from the huge library of Queen material, and one of their favorite songs as the second choice.

Roger Taylor and Brian May sat down with the contestants and explained what the music of Queen was all about. They answered questions regarding Freddie Mercury's presence on stage and what he brought to each and every song. The Final 6 song choices were really all very good, and the opening number, which was a mash-up medley of Queen songs was amazing. Then it was showtime for the Top Six.

Jessica Sanchez opened the show with "Bohemian Rhapsody" and brought the judges to their feet, along with the audience. I thought she did a pretty good job for her age. Jessica's second choice was a very personal one as she sang "Dance With My Father", a Luther Van Dross song which she just told a very emotional story of the connection with her father.

Skylar Laine proved to everyone why she is now the person to be reckoned with when it comes to the Final Four or even the Final Two, as she took a hold of Queen's "The Show Must Go On" and ripped the stage apart with it. Her second choice was Jason Aldean's "Tatoos On This Town", and she got a standing ovation from the audience as well as the judges.

Joshua Ledet let it all hang out with his version of "Crazy Little Thing Called Love", showing that besides having the best ballad voice in the competition, he could rock with them all. His second choice was a very good rendition of India Aries "Ready For Love".

Elise Testone sang "I Want It All" and was praised for finding her 'wheelhouse' in choosing this song. Her second choice was Jimi Hendrix's "Bold As Love", and she was cautioned by the judges to not do a song that America isn't familiar with at this point in the competition.

Phillip Phillips turned it up a notch with his reading of "Fat Bottomed Girls" and as his second choice of song, a little known Dave Matthews Band number called "The Stone". Phillips was criticized pretty harshly last night about his choice of songs and interpretation of them.

Hollie Cavanaghclosed the Queen part of the show with "Save Me" and got mediocre reviews, and then she closed the show with Miley Cyrus' "The Climb" and got a standing ovation because she finally chose a song that fit her age and vulnerability. Randy like the song because she didn't 'overthink' it and just brought it all to the stage.

Who's going home tonight on the Results Show depends on how crazy America voted. We could see a big upset or we could see who truly was the weakest last night. My own choice would be Phillip Phillips, but I think it will either be Hollie or Elise that is shown the door out. We will see.

Katy Perry joins the entertainment part of the Results Show that also will feature another Queen extravaganza of songs.

Who do you think the Top Five will be.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Elise will probably go home tonight.

DialIdol hasn't been right a lot lately, but they are predicting Elise to be voted out. Hollie has the most votes according to them, with Phillip in 2nd.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

If either Phillip or Elise go home I wouldn't be disappointed. I think Phillip is way over-rated and his choice of songs last night was terrible. I think Elise has come on strong the last couple of weeks and I would hope that she stays and we get four girls and a guy in the Top Five, and slowly work our way to the Final Two.

I have changed my choices so many times, but right now I think we will have an all-girl Finals with Skylar Laine and Jessica Sanchez and Skylar Laine becoming the new American Idol.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

dvdjunkie wrote:If either Phillip or Elise go home I wouldn't be disappointed. I think Phillip is way over-rated and his choice of songs last night was terrible. I think Elise has come on strong the last couple of weeks and I would hope that she stays and we get four girls and a guy in the Top Five, and slowly work our way to the Final Two.

I have changed my choices so many times, but right now I think we will have an all-girl Finals with Skylar Laine and Jessica Sanchez and Skylar Laine becoming the new American Idol.
I wouldn't mind Skylar winning. Phillip is ok, but I don't see him winning. I actually liked his Dave Matthews song last night unlike some of the judges, etc...

Anyway DialIdol was completely wrong as they had Hollie with the most votes, but she was in the bottom again. I guess that site isn't as reliable as it used to be with votes as it was on past seasons.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Don't adjust your television sets, the picture you saw was correct. There were three girls in the bottom three last night, and I was screaming at the television because they got it all wrong again.

Hollie, Skylar and Elise were in the bottom three and when the dust cleared it was Elise Testone who got to pack her bags and head home.

I really wanted to see Phillip Phillips get sent home this week, but if he pulls the same bad song choice next week, then I will get my wish. I like the Final Five, but I see Skylar and Jessica going to the Finals with the winner being Skylar Laine.

Stefano Langone, from Season 10 of Idol, premiered his single from his album, and I wasn't at all impressed with him or his performance. On the other hand, Katy Perry was absolutely amazing with her contribution. It was Katy being Katy, and she was great.

Next week we head down the home stretch of American Idol Season 11 and now the voting is more important than ever. If Phillip doesn't go home next week, then I see Hollie being sent home.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I have been watching this year, though I’ve been too busy to post.

At this point, I’m worried that Phillip Phillips will end up winning. He’s the last attractive white guy left, so I’m sure he has all the pre-teen votes, and he’s in the same vein as the past 4 winners of the show. He deserved to leave last week, and yet he wasn’t even in the bottom three. Whatever happens, I’m so glad Colton Dixon is gone.

On the other hand, the show clearly wants Joshua to win and, while I would rather he won than Skylar or Phillip, I don’t think he’s as good as Fantasia was at all.

Skylar is a better country singer than Scotty by far, but I don’t like her nearly as much as Pickler, Underwood, or even Lauren Alaina, tbh. She doesn’t have a great voice, can’t hit the high notes, and she’s clearly a Miranda Lambert wannabe.

I’m not sure why the judges are so deadest against Hollie though. She’s been great the last two weeks, and yet JLO has done her best to get Hollie in the bottom. At least Elise was eliminated before her.

The singer I would like to win is Jessica Sanchez. She’s the best technical singer and she doesn’t have the stage weakness that Pia had last year. “Dance with My Father” has probably been her best performance so far, and I think it helped to connect her to the audience more than she has before.

I’m not expecting a girl could ever win this show again, but I will cross my fingers for Jessica.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Busy night on American Idol tonight as the Top Five sing two songs each. One will be their choice from the 60's and their second choice will be from the British rock charts. There will also be a duet and a trio done by the contestants that don't get judged.

Looking at the song list for tonight, it looks pretty scary.

60s:

The Letter - Box Tops
Ain't Too Proud to Beg - The Temptations
Proud Mary - Ike & Tina Turner
Fortunate Son - Creedance Clearwater Revival
River Deep, Mountain High - Ike & Tina Turner

British Pop:

To Love Somebody - The Bee Gees
Time of the Season - The Zombies
Bleeding Love - Leona Lewis
You Are So Beautiful - Joe Cocker
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me - Dusty Springfield

Steven Van Zandt (Little Stevie from the Bruce Springsteen E Street Band) will be the co-mentor along with Jimmy Iovine tonight. Coldplay and Carrie Underwood are the special guests on the Results Show Thursday night.

Can you have some fun and match the star with the song. It makes watching the show that much more interesting. And remember, if you watch the show you must vote. There are four ways to vote, ITunes, Text, American Idol.com, and telephone. We need everyone to vote for their favorite tonight. Let's see if we can send Phillip Phillips home this week.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

We might get our wish this week, as Phillip Phillips turned in the worst performance of the season last night. Of the five finalists he was truly the one that missed the mark.

Hollie Cavanagh opened the show with a great version of Ike & Tina Turner's "River Deep, Mountain High" and got great reviews from the judges.
Her second song from the British charts was Leona Lewis' "Bleeding Love", and she also received good reviews for 'finally coming out of her shell'.

Phillip Phillips took a great 60's song by The Box Tops called "The Letter" and absolutely ruined it with what he thought was his stamp. Judges criticized him for 'taking away the melody', but Randy said that he just made it is his own. Phillips second song, also from the British charts was The Zombies' "Time of the Season".

Skylar Laine proved again why she is "in it to win it" with a rousing version of the Creedance Clearwater Revivial song "Fortunate Son". Her second choice was a Dusty Springfield classic "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me".

Jessica Sanchez gave us two more reasons why she should be in the Finals this year when she grabbed a hold of Ike & Tina Turner's version of "Proud Mary" as her 60's song choice, and then backed it up with Joe Cocker's "You Are So Beautiful". Jessica is the one to watch in this year's "Idol" contest.

Joshua Ledet lit up the stage with a soulful version of The Temptations' "Ain't Too Proud to Beg", and then he backed it up with his version of The Bee Gees' "To Love Somebody", which brought everyone, including the judges, to their feet.

After tonight's performances I truly believe that we are going to have a female "Idol" this year, for the first time in five seasons.

As for the bottom three tonight, I think it will be Phillip Phillips, Hollie Cavanagh, and Skylar Laine. And I hooe America gets it right tonight as they send Phillip Phillips packing.

Carrie Underwood and Coldplay are the special guests on tonight's Results Show.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Once again America screwed up the vote and got it all wrong. I think there should be a way to ban all people under the age of 18 from voting for the contestants on American Idol. All the teeny-and-tweeny-boppers using mom's cell phone are voting for the cutest and not the most talented contestant. I wish there was something we could do about this.

Skylar Laine was the recipient of the bad news when all the dust had cleared last night and her run has come to an end that is very premature for her accomplishments. She and Hollie Cavanagh were the bottom two, and it should have not been that way. This was the week that Phillip Phillips gave the worst performance of his tenure on the show and he got away with it because all the 'little girls' think he is so cute.

If Phillips wins this thing this year, that is it. I will never watch American Idol again. The next two week are going to be very crucial for all the finalists and Phillips cannot afford another bad performance. I wanted to see an all-female Final Four this year, but that went by the wayside weeks ago when they sent Elise Testone home instead of Phillip Phillips.

So now we have Jessica Sanchez, Hollie Cavanagh, Joshua Ledet and Phillips. The Finals had better pit Ledet against Sanchez or I will scream.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

dvdjunkie wrote:Once again America screwed up the vote and got it all wrong. I think there should be a way to ban all people under the age of 18 from voting for the contestants on American Idol. All the teeny-and-tweeny-boppers using mom's cell phone are voting for the cutest and not the most talented contestant. I wish there was something we could do about this.

Skylar Laine was the recipient of the bad news when all the dust had cleared last night and her run has come to an end that is very premature for her accomplishments. She and Hollie Cavanagh were the bottom two, and it should have not been that way. This was the week that Phillip Phillips gave the worst performance of his tenure on the show and he got away with it because all the 'little girls' think he is so cute.

If Phillips wins this thing this year, that is it. I will never watch American Idol again. The next two week are going to be very crucial for all the finalists and Phillips cannot afford another bad performance. I wanted to see an all-female Final Four this year, but that went by the wayside weeks ago when they sent Elise Testone home instead of Phillip Phillips.

So now we have Jessica Sanchez, Hollie Cavanagh, Joshua Ledet and Phillips. The Finals had better pit Ledet against Sanchez or I will scream.
This season is really unpredictable. I think American Idol needs to change the way you can vote. I know its been brought up before in past seasons, but this year proves it.

Anyway I still think Joshua will end up winning. Hollie surprised me this week, and I enjoyed her performances better than Joshua and Jessica. I know I'm in the minority, but Joshua is overrated for me. Personally he tends to "scream" sometimes, and it just doesn't work for me. When he doesn't do that he is brilliant (like his first song this week).

Also what is wrong with Phillip? They have said the past 2 weeks that he feels bad, and its amazing he is still in the competition. I know he isn't in the Ford Music videos either.
Disney's Divinity

Personally, although I would much rather have seen Phillip go home the past two weeks, I'm glad Skylar is out of the running. I'm worried about Jessica in the coming weeks. I would love to see a Jessica and Hollie final two, though I think JLO would have a conniption.

DarthPrime--you're not the only one who is underwhelmed by Joshua. Sure, he's the best black male contestant Idol has had in years, but the best singer of the past 50 years? :lol: Come on.
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

I hope Hollie makes it this week she has been improving. I hope Phillip or Joshua go this week.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

The Final Four on this week's edition of American Idol will have to themes in which they will deliver their choice of songs.

First up is the theme of "California Dreaming", which will be their choice of songs from artists who call California home. There is a long list of artists to choose from and this week, more than ever, will be critical for their chance of survival.

The second round of songs will the choice of the contestants as they perform the song they wish they had written. This category should be a lot of fun to hear and see what they offer for America's votes.

Don't forget to vote, if you are watching the show. We are just a couple of weeks away from crowning the new American Idol.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Wow the themes this year are really all over the place, and pretty vague. They really do have a ton of songs they can pick.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Here is the list of songs to be sung tonight by the Final Four on American Idol.

CALIFORNIA DREAMING:

1. Have You Ever Seen The Rain - Creedance Clearwater Revival

2. Steal Away - Etta James

3. You Raise Me Up - Josh Groban

4. Faithfully - Journey

I WISH I WROTE THIS SONG:

1. And I Tell You I'm Not Going - Jennifer Holliday

2. I Can't Make You Love Me - Bonnie Raitt

3. Volcano - Damien Rice

4. It's A Man's Man's World - James Brown

There are two duets scheduled:

1. This Love - Maroon 5

2. Eternal Flame - The Bangles

Now comes the test. Can you match the song with the contestant who will be singing it? It was fun last week, as I only got one correct. Tonight will be a real challenge. Who should be singing certain songs, and who actually does could mean we will know who is going home when the smoke clears.

Please, if you watch the show, vote - Vote - VOTE!!!!! You have four ways to vote, so there is no excuse.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

What an amazing show last night. The Final Four came out with their guns blazing in the first round and it was hard to say who was best or worst. The second round separated the winners from the losers in a big way. Here's how it went:

Phillip Phillips opened the show with his version of the Creedance hit, "Have You Ever Seen The Rain", and brought the house to their feet. Then in the second round he wowed us with "Volcano" originally done by Damien Rice. The judges gave him high marks and noted that Phillip was in it for the long run.

Hollie Cavanagh has been coming to life in the past couple of weeks and tonight in the first round it was no different. She sang Journey's "Faithfully" as her first song and was complemented with a standing ovation. Her second song was all wrong, as she tried to give Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me" new life, and failed miserably. I truly believe that Hollie will be going home tonight.

Joshua Ledet had a great first round with his sparkling rendition of Josh Groban's "You Raise Me Up", and then followed it by raising the bar with a great version of the James Brown classic "It's A Man's, Man's World". I am still holding that Joshua and Jessica will be the Final Two.

Jessica Sanchez treated the audience and the judges to Etta James' "Steal Away" and got rave reviews for it. Her second choice was over the top as she rendered what was the vocal performance of the season with Jenniffer Holliday's "And I Tell You I'm Not Going". All three judges said "Joshua raised the bar, and you jumped over it like it wasn't even there".

The duets were a lot of fun as Phllip and Joshua brought the Maroon 5 song "This Love" to life. Hollie and Jessica did a poor version (the judges words) of The Bangles' "Eternal Flame".

Tonight's the night we get the Results, as former Idol winner David Cook makes an appearance and Jennifer Lopez will sing her latest song. Should be a good night for all and I hope the results are correct with Hollie going home. It's either her or Phillip, but I think it will be Hollie Cavanagh that packs her bags.
Disney's Divinity

The first round was terrible for all the contestants, with Hollie probably the best with a weak "Faithfully" and Joshua easily the worst following a completely butchered "You Raise Me Up."

Hollie was the only weak link in round two. "I Can't Make You Love Me" is just a dull song, no matter who sings it. Phillip gave probably the only good performance he's ever had on this show with "Volcano," which is still leagues below everybody else. Joshua really fit "IAMMW," but I'm worried most viewers may not respond to Jessica's "AIATYING" though it was better than anything the others did last night.

My guess is either Jessica or Hollie will go tonight, with Phillip (the most undeserving contestant for the past 3 weeks, at least) not even in the bottom three--again.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Using initials for song titles is pretty lazy, but I guess that is just your way of being different.

Tonight's Results show was a real eye opener, as David Cook performed his new single and Jennifer Lopez lit up the stage with her new song. Great night of entertainment, and then came the results.

I finally got one right, as Hollie Cavanagh was sent home. Well, not really home, because she is going on the Top Ten Tour this summer.

I don't agree with anyone who thinks there was a weak link on Idol in the first round last night. They were all strong, but the least impressive was Phillip Phillips doing a Creedance song. The second round was great except for Hollie's performance of Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me" (notice how easy it is to spell it all out?) and for the most part, everyone I talked to said that she was the weak link in the Final Four.

Next week we get it down to The Final Two and with the way things have been going it will probably be Phillip Phillips going home leaving Jessica and Joshua to battle it out in the finals.
Last edited by dvdjunkie on Fri May 11, 2012 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disney's Divinity

dvdjunkie wrote:Using initials for song titles is pretty lazy, but I guess that is just your way of being different.
And I guess the fact that you care is just your way of being passive aggressive. :D
I don't agree with anyone who thinks there was a wink link on Idol in the first round last night.
I wouldn't say there was a "wink" link either. :lol: