Wreck-It Ralph (formerly Reboot Ralph)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

SWillie! wrote:Tangled was disgusting. Yes, it's a fun Glen Keane sketch, but it doesn't embody anything about the film itself, and it most certainly is not even close to one of the more impressive pieces of art created for the film. They had so many great images to choose from - the lantern scene, that yellow image of Flynn climbing Rapunzel's hair, the concept piece of the tower... the list goes on. And yet they choose a mediocre sketch at best.
Huh, it wasn't as sketch it was painted, and pretty lushly I thought. The piece was used not to represent what Tangled really was but just what they wanted people to believe, that it wasn't the classic that was originally Rapunzel but actually some funny slapstick comedy with a kickass thief and horse. So while I think the actual art was good (though Glen's original sketch was better), I agree, what a poor choice, just like the title!
SWillie! wrote: And now Wreck-It Ralph... and I may just have to kill something, it's so hideous. That piece of visdev show us nothing about the film - in fact, the art director on Ralph told us at the studio that not a single idea from that piece made it into the final film, with the exception of the broad concept of "candy land racing". The image doesn't show us anything to do with "this film is about video game characters." Hell, with the exception of the face in the logo, it doesn't show us the characters at all! They showed us so much more interesting development work on this film, I seriously can't believe they chose this mediocre-at-best painting to represent the film. Ugly, ugly, ugly.
I think the art itself is great, it was one of the pieces that made a lot of us excited for the film, including me. I'm dissapointed nothing from it will bein the film, actually. I mean I'm really dissapointed. But I do agree with the rest of what you said - they need art that actually represents what the film is about, not one land with no characters or story point.

But did you really say the Winnie the Pooh one with just a zoom in on Pooh's shirt and chin was good? Seriously? Didn't look anything like the film or really represent it or anything. Looked like a baby merchandise image zoomed in.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

I said 'sketch' just because I see Glen's pencil sketch when I see that painting. But either way, it's a quick, shoddy image - mediocre at best.

And no, not that Winnie the Pooh one - this one:
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Could the cover at the moment possibly just be a placeholder before they leak out other bits of concept art in the run up to the film?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

We then heard from some of the people working on the upcoming Disney film Wreck-It Ralph. One of the art directors on the film that spoke to us was Mike Gabriel, the co-director of The Rescuers Down Under and Pocahontas. It was great to hear him talk about what influenced the film, and how they tried different things to achieve what they wanted. The bottom line that I got from his presentation was this: No amount of Google Image searches can replace actually going to a location and seeing it for yourself. In the film, Ralph pops into a few different video game worlds, and they each have a very specific design approach. Gabriel and his team went to various places to look at the architecture and get the feeling of the location. He emphasized that doing that, as opposed to relying on the internet alone, influenced the design of the film in a positive way.
Source: http://www.johnherzog.net/2012/04/disne ... -2012.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

Sotiris wrote:
We then heard from some of the people working on the upcoming Disney film Wreck-It Ralph. One of the art directors on the film that spoke to us was Mike Gabriel, the co-director of The Rescuers Down Under and Pocahontas. It was great to hear him talk about what influenced the film, and how they tried different things to achieve what they wanted. The bottom line that I got from his presentation was this: No amount of Google Image searches can replace actually going to a location and seeing it for yourself. In the film, Ralph pops into a few different video game worlds, and they each have a very specific design approach. Gabriel and his team went to various places to look at the architecture and get the feeling of the location. He emphasized that doing that, as opposed to relying on the internet alone, influenced the design of the film in a positive way.
Source: http://www.johnherzog.net/2012/04/disne ... -2012.html
Start up the popcorn and buy the tickets because this movie is just getting more and more awesome by the sound of it.This might be Disney's next big hit with both critics and the box office. :o
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney first premiered a very early version of the first six minutes of the story reel at D23 Expo last year. One sequence, set inside a support group meeting for video game bad guys, featured a bunch of characters from classic video games. But since the scene was in such an early state, we didn’t know if any of these characters would actually appear in the finished film. The filmmakers hinted in interviews that they were trying to acquire rights to use some classic video game characters in the movie, but wouldn’t confirm names.

At CinemaCon they showed an almost completed version of the opening which confirms some of the film’s cameo appearances. I’m sure there will be many more, but I was surprised to see major characters from Nintendo, Midway Games, Sega and more in a Disney animated feature film.

Characters in the support group scene include:

Bowser from Super Mario Bros.
Doctor Eggman from Sonic the Hedgehog
Kano from Mortal Kombat
A Ghost from Pac-Man
Zangief from Street Fighter
Coily the Snake from Q*bert
Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/disney-animati ... haracters/
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

This article from Entertainment Weekly goes into more detail and adds Street Fighter's M. Bison to the list.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/04/25/w ... ph-cameos/

Gerald C. Rivers, the current VA of Bison also has the movie on his resume.

http://www.geraldcrivers.com/Resume/VO% ... 202012.pdf
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

LoL Kano from Mortal Kombat in a Disney film.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

They shouldn't be putting non-Disney characters in this film. Un-Disney!

Anyway, how can they, how are they allowed to?
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Disney Duster wrote:Anyway, how can they, how are they allowed to?
Presumably they've made a licensing deal with Nintendo, Capcom and the other companies that will allow Disney to do so. It's the same as them putting Bugs Bunny and Betty Boop in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Super Aurora wrote:LoL Kano from Mortal Kombat in a Disney film.
I know, I can't wait to see this scene for myself. I'm glad they've got M.Bison in there too, definitely one of my favourite Street Fighter characters.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Disney Duster wrote:They shouldn't be putting non-Disney characters in this film. Un-Disney!

Anyway, how can they, how are they allowed to?
Is Roger Rabbit un-Disney?
Dream Huntress
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Dream Huntress »

They got M. Bison to cameo on this?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X8u7px_GzWQ" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I know is too soon to say this movie is going to be awesome, but I really think this movie is going to be awesome! I was just reading the director's (Rich Moore) directing credits, and he handled many of the greatest episodes of The Simpsons. And all I read from inside info on Wreck-it-Ralph is that everybody seems to be very excited and very confident on how this movie is going to turn out, and I am too, it really seems like something new and very interesting, that if anything might be really entertaining.

Here's hoping the videgame of the movie is also good, you know how games based on movies don't tend to have a good record.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

SWillie! wrote:Is Roger Rabbit un-Disney?
Uh yea it's half Disney half other stuff this is supposed to be a whole Disney thing.
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

Did anyone save the image of the cover? It's not up anymore.
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

‘Wreck-It Ralph’ to Offer Vidgame Star Cameos

http://www.animationmagazine.net/featur ... ar-cameos/
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Disney Duster wrote:
SWillie! wrote:Is Roger Rabbit un-Disney?
Uh yea it's half Disney half other stuff this is supposed to be a whole Disney thing.
But- BUT- technically, Roger Rabbit is technically a Disney movie because his movie was released under Touchstone, a branch of Disney.

Wait, wait! Hold up a sec! The guy who worked on Futurama and Drawn Together (both adult cartoons) is working on this, a Disney film?! I'm... not sure what to say... :shock:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

FigmentJedi wrote:This article from Entertainment Weekly goes into more detail and adds Street Fighter's M. Bison to the list.
Thanks for letting us know.

Patrick wrote:Did anyone save the image of the cover? It's not up anymore.

That's odd. Anyway, here it is (click on image for larger version):

Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

DisneyJedi wrote:But- BUT- technically, Roger Rabbit is technically a Disney movie because his movie was released under Touchstone, a branch of Disney.
Nope. When I say Disney I mean the Disney NAME as well as what that name represents/means/is.
DisneyJedi wrote:Wait, wait! Hold up a sec! The guy who worked on Futurama and Drawn Together (both adult cartoons) is working on this, a Disney film?! I'm... not sure what to say... :shock:
I already complained about that one and Sarah Silverman. I bet Walt's weeping.
FlyingPiggy
Limited Issue

Post by FlyingPiggy »

Rich Moore's Futurama and Simpson credits are the only things giving my hope for this movie :lol:
Pokeholic_Prince
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokeholic_Prince »

Yeah Walt's weeping alright, weeping with joy that his company is actually getting their act together and actually taking some risks. He told me so during our weekly golf games.

As for the movie, it was already awesome know it's about video game characters, but knowing that there's going to be all these legendary video game cameos makes it even more exciting. November can't come fast enough.