Snow White and the Huntsman (2012)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Sotiris wrote:Alan Menken wrote on Twitter that he's involved in the upcoming movie Mirror Mirror without saying what his involvement is exactly. I think he's probably composing the score or writing an end-credits song.
I think it's that song that opens the trailer, that goes "I believe I believe I believe in love." A song I liked, in a moment where it the film was looking pretty exciting...till the trailer went to all hell!
Dr Frankenollie wrote:Ugh, I particularly detest "Snow way!" :x

The most saddening thing is that the jokes in a modern comedy trailer are usually the best jokes, which means the dreadful piece of shit known as Mirror Mirror has few better "funny" lines than "Agree to disagree."
Yes, those are the worst and best lines respectively! We agree to agree! lol
slave2moonlight wrote:Too bad Cannon Movie Tales didn't do a Cinderella movie.
True that! And The Slipper & the Rose is great! And I also wish Tim Burton made his Alice movie of the original story like the flashback scene, too.
tsom wrote:1. What's wrong with the girl saving the guy?
Nothing! It's the fact that she acknowledges the only reason she's saving the guy is because she heard it in previous fairy stories. It's like she's saying to the audience "Hey, I know I'm in a fairy story, too! *wink*" And it's also against her character. Snow White was always a rather harmless and domestic girl. Unless it is known/intended she herself commanded the hot shoes to be put on the queen to kill her, but even then she had her guards and servants do it, she didn't get her hands dirty herself.
tsom wrote:4. There are anachronisms in Disney's Cinderella as well.
Wait...what are they? But anyway, Disney's Cinderella didn't try to be as realistic such as to be set with real historical people. No one in Disney's movie had accents but Drew's version had some with accents, others not, what's up with that? lol And saying stuff like the painting Da Vinci made was for Danielle and he knew her...I dunno it feels like lying about real people. Maybe it's okay...but I just don't know...it's unsettling. I admit the movie's still good though!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Duster wrote:I think it's that song that opens the trailer, that goes "I believe I believe I believe in love." A song I liked, in a moment where it the film was looking pretty exciting...till the trailer went to all hell!
Actually, he will be just composing the score:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ror-271563
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

There is no chance at all composing the score means all of it, including songs?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Duster wrote:There is no chance at all composing the score means all of it, including songs?
Nope! :wink:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I've seen Mirror, Mirror, and it's... amusing. Just don't go into it expecting anything remotely deep or substantial, because for the most part the movie has no other purpose than to show lavish set and costume designs and special effects, and the story is pretty basic if not childish. There's really nothing dark or risqué or shocking in or about it. It's a bit surprising considering the director's previous films, but I must assume it was his conscious decision to make a family-oriented action/comedy/romance.

The cast is relatively good considering the script they had to work with (speaking of the script, there are moments of brilliance sprinkled across the movie, but they really don't make the movie much better). Among the cast, I'd commend the inspired casting of Lily Collins as Snow White (seriously, the girl is beyond stunning without ever being sexualized), and her Snow White is perfectly balanced between being true to both the source material and current ideals of femininity. Julia Roberts on the other hand is... tolerable, for the lack of a better word. I really can't say whether she tried too much or didn't try enough. Armie Hammer is rather good and dashing as the prince, but sadly, some of his scenes are among the movie's most cringe-worthy (you've seen bits of them in the trailer, so I'm not spoiling anything). Dwarfs are your standard collection of token characters and stereotypes. Humor is also very mild and inoffensive, but watch out for Nathan Lane - he delivers what has to be the funniest line in the entire film. The ending... well, let's just say it will either make or break the movie for you (though I'll give you one hint: Bollywood).

In many ways, this movie to me is what Disney's own Snow White movie might have been like had it been made today. It also reminded me very much of Ella Enchanted - I really don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.

All in all, I'd recommend it for visuals, music and Lily Collins, if nothing else. Fans of animation are in for a treat, there's an amazing prologue sequence - it reminded me a bit of "The Tale of the Three Brothers" from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1.

So, after seeing the first Snow White movie of the year, my expectations for the other one are pretty low - not that they were ever high to begin with, considering I really despise this whole trend of "re-inventions of classic tales" (the whole thing reeks of Alice in Wonderland-type of girl-power sass) and it stars Kristen Stewart as Snow White (dopiest in the land maybe, but fairest... no way in hell), but it might just surprise me.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

my mom said this one looks closer to the original story.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I also just saw an advance screening of Mirror Mirror and can actually back up everything ajmrowland said about the film. It could have been so much better, but also, it could have been a lot worse.

For just plain old entertainment, this movie delivers. If you are looking for in-depth character building, forget it. It is definitely not a waste of time, but I will say I am glad that I only paid the Senior Price of $7 for it.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Mooky wrote:In many ways, this movie to me is what Disney's own Snow White movie might have been like had it been made today.
Disney's masterpiece and...Mirror Mirror? Hopefully you meant it only kinda sorta barely a little bit made you think of how Disney might have made it today.

But thanks for your review. I was gonna see it regardless because of said costumes, sets and effects. Good to hear the main star is good! And that it has an animated prologue!
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

dvdjunkie wrote:I also just saw an advance screening of Mirror Mirror and can actually back up everything ajmrowland said about the film. It could have been so much better, but also, it could have been a lot worse.
thx for the undeserved credit! :P
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Disney Duster wrote:
Mooky wrote:In many ways, this movie to me is what Disney's own Snow White movie might have been like had it been made today.
Disney's masterpiece and...Mirror Mirror? Hopefully you meant it only kinda sorta barely a little bit made you think of how Disney might have made it today.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. If Tangled's any indicator of Disney's current stance towards fairytale/fantasy genre, I think Mirror, Mirror definitely plays upon the Tangled template and looks like it could have been made by Disney (well, parts of it anyway - there would hopefully be more songs in it had it been made by Disney).
ajmrowland wrote:
dvdjunkie wrote:I also just saw an advance screening of Mirror Mirror and can actually back up everything ajmrowland said about the film. It could have been so much better, but also, it could have been a lot worse.
thx for the undeserved credit! :P
:lol: ;) 8)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Mooky wrote:Yes, that's exactly what I meant. If Tangled's any indicator of Disney's current stance towards fairytale/fantasy genre, I think Mirror, Mirror definitely plays upon the Tangled template and looks like it could have been made by Disney (well, parts of it anyway - there would hopefully be more songs in it had it been made by Disney).
Since I saw the film for myself, I must disagree. Not only was it not anywhere near Walt's masterpieces, it wasn't as good as Tangled either. I just think it hardly even grazed the amazingness or great feelings of any Disney film. Though yes, the ending with the musical number, definately one of the places where it grazed.
universALLove
Collector's Edition

Post by universALLove »

Disney Duster wrote:I just think it hardly even grazed the amazingness or great feelings of any Disney film.
Even a Disney direct-to-video sequel? :-P
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Disney Duster wrote:
Mooky wrote:Yes, that's exactly what I meant. If Tangled's any indicator of Disney's current stance towards fairytale/fantasy genre, I think Mirror, Mirror definitely plays upon the Tangled template and looks like it could have been made by Disney (well, parts of it anyway - there would hopefully be more songs in it had it been made by Disney).
Since I saw the film for myself, I must disagree. Not only was it not anywhere near Walt's masterpieces, it wasn't as good as Tangled either. I just think it hardly even grazed the amazingness or great feelings of any Disney film. Though yes, the ending with the musical number, definately one of the places where it grazed.
The key words in my post are "looks like it could have been made by Disney". For all the movie's shortcomings, the type of Mirror, Mirror's presentation has 'wholesome Disney entertainment' written all over it.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You don't mean that you think Disney would have literally made Mirror Mirror, just that they might make something that was a similar kind of thing? But still a classic and more faithful Disney masterpiece unlike Mirror Mirror at all?
universALLove wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:I just think it hardly even grazed the amazingness or great feelings of any Disney film.
Even a Disney direct-to-video sequel? :-P
Even those have the magic only Disney characters can bring. : )
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I've explained my words literally three times before (in this very same thread), and you're still asking me for clarification. So here's one more time: no, I don't think that Disney would have made Mirror Mirror exactly the same, and yes, I think they might have made something similar.

Duster, why are you so against a notion that another studio can make a film with a Disney-esque sensibility?
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I don't understand why you all are trying to compare 'apples and oranges' when it comes to these movies. They weren't made by Disney or any of their spin-off studios, and they aren't supposed to be a copy of the classic "Animated" film that we all love and adore.

These are the same people who drive me crazy (a short drive) about "Once Upon A Time".

"Mirror Mirror if you listened to the narrator for the trailers and read what was on the screen, was another person's view of the Snow White fable. It was not intended to be a copy or a tribute, it was just another person's impression of how they thought the story might be told.

Now we have the yet to be released Snow White & The Huntsman which is giving us a totally different side of the story. They are infusing it was some horror, and some light romance, and a story told from a different perspective. I, for one, am looking forward to seeing this film. It looks like they have come up with an original concept that could be a box-office winner.

Let's just wait and see what the movie brings. I loved "Mirror Mirror", for a whole lot of different reasons than those on this thread have stated. I won't get into the details, but I just liked the movie so much I saw it three times in the theater. I will probably see "Huntsman" more, if it is even half as good as it looks to be.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

dvdjunkie wrote:It looks like they have come up with an original concept that could be a box-office winner.
Original? "Fairy tales gone dark" is not original at all.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

As I have said before:

Dr. Frankenollie would not know a good movie if it jumped up and bit him on the arse.

I stand with my post and if you can retort without claiming to be the 'all-knowing' film expert, then I would suggest you PM me with your reply.

You do know how to PM people here? Don't you?

I have read some of your reviews and that is why I have to say what I said.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Mooky wrote:I've explained my words literally three times before (in this very same thread), and you're still asking me for clarification. So here's one more time: no, I don't think that Disney would have made Mirror Mirror exactly the same, and yes, I think they might have made something similar.

Duster, why are you so against a notion that another studio can make a film with a Disney-esque sensibility?
Because he's so against even a Disney film having a Disney-esque sensibility. Well, no, he's all for that, he just wants the nostalgia of a 20 yr old film.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

dvdjunkie wrote:As I have said before:

Dr. Frankenollie would not know a good movie if it jumped up and bit him on the arse.

I stand with my post and if you can retort without claiming to be the 'all-knowing' film expert, then I would suggest you PM me with your reply.

You do know how to PM people here? Don't you?

I have read some of your reviews and that is why I have to say what I said.
He's just very picky about quality.