Digital Copies now serve a purpose with iCloud.

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

No matter what format you never truly own a movie, just given permission to watch it. Its still their rules in terms of how you watch it. When a new version is released I'd assume they expect you to fork over the cash for another copy.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

jpanimation wrote:How does this work when they re-release films? Do we outright own the MOVIE or that particular RELEASE?
as others have said, the copies seem to be upgradable
Upon trying the new iCloud option to re-download past purchases and digital copies, I re-downloaded Pocahontas which is now 1.17GB with a different artwork and looks like a brand new transfer.

So basically it's possible to upgrade to a new version for free! Just like an App upgrade on the App Store... The only difference is it doesn't prompt you to upgrade, you need to delete your file and download again.
http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 03c8186c9f
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I see I was wrong then.

Would suck though if you needed to redownload and the old transfer was the better one.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Well I'm sure you do things you don't want Big Brother to see like, I dunno, your girlfriend or boyfriend sending certain pictures to you online. Everyone does things they wouldn't want someone else to see, that's the point.

Maybe iCloud doesn't have much to do with Big Brother but not caring about or wanting to do anything about Big Brother at all is not the best idea. Making everything digital, including movies, is all part of Big Brother. I used to worry about Facebook but it's too late now. If I had thought about it more I might have not gotten one before I realized.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Disney Duster wrote:Well I'm sure you do things you don't want Big Brother to see like, I dunno, your girlfriend or boyfriend sending certain pictures to you online. Everyone does things they wouldn't want someone else to see, that's the point.
Well, if anyone out there is really that desperate to see those kinds of things, then let them have it. First of all, it's not illegal to do something like that, so I highly doubt they are using these kind of technologies for something like THAT. If they are, it still does not affect me personally and I really could care less.

At the end of the day, if there truly is a "Big Brother" watching our every move, they will find out whatever they want about us, and NOTHING we can do will stop it. I honestly don't understand why it's something people worry about. I don't see a problem with it.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

SWillie! wrote:I honestly don't understand why it's something people worry about. I don't see a problem with it.
When you mean "it", do you mean Big Brother, the people in control seeing everything we do, etc? Or just Cloud? Or everything being online and digital?
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Disney Duster wrote:
SWillie! wrote:I honestly don't understand why it's something people worry about. I don't see a problem with it.
When you mean "it", do you mean Big Brother, the people in control seeing everything we do, etc? Or just Cloud? Or everything being online and digital?
I mean the idea of "Big Brother" in general. It's for conspiracy theorists who over-think everything.

PLEASE explain to me why I should be afraid that some unknown group out there is literally following what I do. As insignificant as I am, I highly doubt anyone cares about individuals like us unless we give them a reason to care by partaking in illegal activity or other such matters, in which case I feel it's a GOOD thing they can see what we're doing.

(Although my original quote also applies to everything being online and digital. Like I've said before, it's the future, it makes the world a much smaller, more accessible, more creative place. There is no point in arguing against it, because it has already happened, and will continue to happen.)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well it's the mere idea that not just "some group" but people in power, maybe even the govenernment, could see anything you do and try to make you do what they want by having such control. Yea, over-thinking blah blah blah but what are you trying to tell me that having so much information online doesn't have very possible bad consequences as well as good ones? And the point is the bad consequences are probably far worse than the good consequences are good. Oh, easier access to movies vs. my life being controlled, gee I wonder which is more important.

Anyway, I would say eveyrthing being online doesn't necessarily make us more creative. I think creativity comes from the right balance of being on your own and doing things originally combined with seeing some other things other people did that inspire you. Having a glut of seeing so many things everyone else is doing will undoubtedly show a bunch of people doing extremely similar things to each other. And it's so weird, now everything's online anyone can know anything, there's less work to get it so there's less showing of who is actually smart and who just got their information off Wikipedia a few seconds ago.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Disney Duster wrote:Well it's the mere idea that not just "some group" but people in power, maybe even the govenernment, could see anything you do and try to make you do what they want by having such control.
What does this mean? Can you give me an example of what the government would try to "make me do"? Having access to personal information online does not equate to mind control.

I don't care if the all-mighty government can see my every move. I, as an individual, am not nearly significant enough for anyone to care enough to actually watch my every move. And if they did decide, for whatever reason, that they DID care... well, be my guest. As I've said, I have nothing to hide.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

No not mind control. Okay, say the people in power, government, whatever is in control, all agree they want people to be a certain way. If a lot of people can agree to be left or right, it could happen.

So then, they watch everyone's every move, or a lot about people, and if they see people doing something they don't want them to do, they penalize or jail or "remove" (i.e. kill) those people.

And if they got a lot of people to watch cameras or check online whatevers, they may not be able to catch everyone all the time but they'd catch enough people you wouldn't want to take that risk.

Now you get it? Is is this extreme? Yes. But it's still possible and I don't know why you and or other people would want to take the chance just because of flashy new easy technology.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Well . . . this thread has gotten weird.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

I dunno about you guys, but I don't want Big Brother knowing I have a digital copy of "Alice in Wonderland."
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

SpringHeelJack wrote:I dunno about you guys, but I don't want Big Brother knowing I have a digital copy of "Alice in Wonderland."
:lol:
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Disney Duster wrote:Now you get it? Is is this extreme? Yes. But it's still possible and I don't know why you and or other people would want to take the chance just because of flashy new easy technology.
This has to be a joke.

Honestly, if THAT ridiculously extreme example is what the government, or whoever "Big Brother" is, is up to... then I hope they kill me first.

This isn't rational thinking. This is paranoia.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Here's an interesting article I just read on big brother concerns that might shed light on the more tangible risks with having your every move tracked.
http://www.waywardcelt.com/socialbusine ... y-tracking

I'm not sure it directly ties in Disney movies on icloud, but when you think about the big picture it starts to make a tiny bit more sense.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Kyle wrote:Here's an interesting article I just read on big brother concerns that might shed light on the more tangible risks with having your every move tracked.
http://www.waywardcelt.com/socialbusine ... y-tracking

I'm not sure it directly ties in Disney movies on icloud, but when you think about the big picture it starts to make a tiny bit more sense.
Thanks for the article - very well written, and it further illustrates how I feel on the matter. I'll post more in response to it later.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I thought this thread might be the best place to link this article, which states:

DreamWorks Animation is joining Walmart's Disc-to-Digital service, the animation house said Monday.
The service allows customers to upload their DVDs and Blu-rays into the retailer's cloud-service. The program began Monday at more than 3,500 Walmart stores.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... 6663.story

Apparently Disney is the only major studio holding out.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

It's a ridiculous idea anyway. Your going to pay Walmart for to rip a dvd when you could do the same thing for free?
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Kyle wrote:No matter what format you never truly own a movie, just given permission to watch it. Its still their rules in terms of how you watch it. When a new version is released I'd assume they expect you to fork over the cash for another copy.
It begs the question, do we really own anything? Or is the idea of "owning" something just an illusion we tell ourselves?

Honestly, when I buy a video or a DVD or a Blu-ray, I own the physical unit. Just like I own my table or my shoes, I have paid with my money to own this video or disc. I can't own the ideas on the unit, as they are copyright protected (that is of course a whole other discussion), but I own the physical unit the ideas were transferred to. I can do whatever I want with that video or disc, so long as I don't use it to break copyright laws. When I "buy" a film or show on iTunes or something like that, I'm basically paying for the right to watch the content, but I don't "own" anything. Digital Streaming is nothing more then glorified cable.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

milojthatch wrote: Honestly, when I buy a video or a DVD or a Blu-ray, I own the physical unit. Just like I own my table or my shoes, I have paid with my money to own this video or disc. I can't own the ideas on the unit, as they are copyright protected (that is of course a whole other discussion), but I own the physical unit the ideas were transferred to. I can do whatever I want with that video or disc, so long as I don't use it to break copyright laws.
That's the thing, though . . . in order to not break copyright laws, you have to look closely at the rights the copyright holder has transferred to you.

All that crap at the beginning of a disc, videotape, etc. that says something along the lines of "Licensed for home use, no public performance" (I'm not direct quoting because I never pay attention either) spells out the extent of that license.

So, if you buy a copy of Prince Caspian at Wal-Mart and then show it at school (if you're a teacher) or church or what have you, you're technically breaking copyright law, because Disney didn't give you performance rights. That's the entire reason this website exists:

http://dep.disney.go.com/languagearts.html

You have to buy a version that contains the rights to do what you want to do.

In the case of ripping DVDs for digital copies, I'm pretty sure that the same warnings at the front of a DVD we don't pay attention to, also say "No Duplication or Reproduction."

As for why Disney isn't participating in Wal-Mart's new venture, I assume it's because they don't want to cannibalize their market for this service:

http://disneymoviesonline.go.com/home