The Princess Diaries: 2-Movie Collection on Blu-ray

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

slave2moonlight wrote:To me, this is not Disney releasing their "older films". That would be stuff like Old Yeller and so on. However, I get what you mean and it's still cool we're even getting stuff like this and Rocketeer. I'm glad I had never bought Princess Diaries before (never even seen them, actually). I'll be sure to get them on Blu-Ray, though, as April 15th is my birthday, I am more likely to request The Rocketeer from anyone who wants to give me a gift, ha. Too bad something more ideal for me isn't getting that release date, like my favorite film, Who Framed Roger Rabbit. What's the deal with that one not being on blu-ray yet?!
If you think about it, the "Princess Diaries" films just barley missed the Blu-ray era, so it's hard seeing this as that amazing. I personally don't know as that I'm going to pick this up, I'm fine with my DVD's for this one. Still, for Blu-ray fans, this is great news.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sWJ_Sg92epA" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bkPPvZ16EEM" frameborder="0"></iframe>
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

So the Blu-ray comes out to Target stores tomorrow! I preordered my copy online so it should come sometime next week.

So excited! :D
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

Best Buy doesn't even show it available on their website (for preorder the day before release). :?
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

buffalobill wrote:Best Buy doesn't even show it available on their website (for preorder the day before release). :?
That's because it's a Target exclusive until May 15th when it will be available at other stores. :)
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

Is it going to be in blu ray or dvd packaging? dvd & blu ray indicates dvd packaging (which is what Toys R Us usually carries exclusively if available). blu ray + dvd indicates blu ray packaging. I'll buy tomorrow if its in blu ray packaging. If not I'll wait to see what happens when it stops being a Target exclusive.
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

At Target.com, you can choose from either type of packaging. As for what will be available in-store, I wouldn't know, I'm not familiar with how Target chooses its BD stock.
FlyingPiggy
Limited Issue

Post by FlyingPiggy »

The Princess Dairies was my favorite movie when it came out. I even put on my school uniform and brushed out my curls to act it out while watching it a few times , I knew every line :lol: :oops: my dvd copies are so beat up, I'm definitely getting this.

I wonder if they had time to put in any sort of remembrance for Whitney Houston?
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

Anyone know if all the features of the dvds will be ported over to the blus. If so I can clear space by giving to relatives or ebaying the dvds when I upgrade.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

buffalobill wrote:Anyone know if all the features of the dvds will be ported over to the blus. If so I can clear space by giving to relatives or ebaying the dvds when I upgrade.
We haven't had any information on what bonus features will be included on the release.
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

I went to Target this morning to get this. They didn't have it out on the shelves and the weekly add claims it doesn't come out until Tuesday. I was able to convince them to sell me one since the website says it came out today and says the store has it in stock. So if anybody else has a similar situation, try using that to justify it.

The HD versions of the films look great. However, there aren't any new bonus features and the Blu-Ray disc only has two standard definition bonus features. The only bonus not carried over from the previous DVD releases of the films is the sneak peak at the second film that was on 2004 2-disc "Collector's Set" of the first film.

Disc 1: Blu-Ray disc
- Outtakes and Bloopers (Princess Diaries)
- Royal Bloopers (Princess Diaries 2)

Disc 2: Princess Diaries DVD
- A New Princess Behind-the-Scenes Featurette
- Deleted Scenes
- Audio Commentaries (1. Gary Marshall 2. Julie Andrews/Anne Hathaway)
- Livin' Like a Princess Featurette
- Outtakes and Bloopers
- Music Videos ("Miracles Happen"/"Supergirl")

Disc 3: Princess Diaries 2 DVD
- Deleted Scenes
- The PD2 Makeover Featurette
- Making a Return Engagement Featurette
- Audio Commentary (Gary Marshall and Julie Andrews)
- "Breakaway" Music Video
- Royal Bloopers
- Find Your Inner Princess Game

Disney re-did the original Princess Diaries DVD disc, which has a new menu and no sneak peaks. The back of the box claims that it features both widescreen and fullscreen versions, but the disc only contains the widescreen version. The second film's disc is identical to the 2004 widescreen release in content (including outdated sneak peaks), although the disc art has been removed. I personally don't mind having SD bonus features only on the accompanying DVD discs, but I am sad to see that the audio commentaries can't be watched with the HD versions. I'd say Disney missed their mark with that decision.
I'm currently watching and reviewing every Disney film in chronological order. You can follow along at my blog, The Disney Films, and also follow me on Twitter.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Thanks so much for that information, goofystitch! I'm a little dismayed at the bonus feature situation, but I expected as much. At least the movies look great. :D
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

goofystitch, I don't have my copy with me to check, but what's missing from the two disc DVD of the first movie bonus feature-wise? I'm debating if I need to hang on to it or get rid of it or what.

Also does it use the same packaging as "The Fox and the Hound" where it stacks the DVDs on top of each other, because I hate that.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

goofystitch, could you possibly post pictures of the packaging? Also, what (if any) previews are on the Blu-ray disc?
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Pictures of the packaging have been posted on Blu-ray.com

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p ... stcount=81
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

SpringHeelJack wrote:goofystitch, I don't have my copy with me to check, but what's missing from the two disc DVD of the first movie bonus feature-wise? I'm debating if I need to hang on to it or get rid of it or what.

Also does it use the same packaging as "The Fox and the Hound" where it stacks the DVDs on top of each other, because I hate that.
The only thing missing is a "sneak peak" at the second film. Everything is ported over. My packaging for this has a double sided holder attached to the spine that houses the blu-ray on the top side, DVD of the first film on the other. However, Disney uses different cases for each release (my Fox and the Hound doesn't use the stacked disc holder, but my Muppets does) so there is no guarantee that yours will be the same style case.
zackisthewalrus wrote:Also, what (if any) previews are on the Blu-ray disc?
The Blu-Ray disc and DVD for the first film don't have any previews. Only the second film's DVD, which contains all of the previews from the original 2004 DVD release.
I'm currently watching and reviewing every Disney film in chronological order. You can follow along at my blog, The Disney Films, and also follow me on Twitter.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Target told me this morning that it will be on the shelves tomorrow and to read the on-line ad a little better. That Sunday release is for Target.com and the official Target exclusive release is Tuesday, April 17, which is also the last day to file your taxes if you haven't already done so.

The films will be available in both the DVD packaging, which I hate, and the standard Blu-ray packaging.

So I will be getting "PD" on Tuesday along with "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol" on Tuesday.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

I'm glad my Target & Best Buy are right across the street from each other. I'll be getting MI (with exclusive bonus disc) at BB where it's only $19.99 tomorrow minus a $5 RZ Cert & then get PD in blu ray packaging at Target. Should have both of my old Princess Diaries dvds sold on ebay by the end of the week.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I'm gonna have to wait until next month, I'm Broke
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
KACENAID
Gold Classic Collection

Post by KACENAID »

I really wasn't planning on picking this up. I was happy with my DVD editions and didn't think an upgrade was all that necessary. However, this week with double points from DMR (500 points total and I thought it was only 250 total) coupled with the fact that Target has it on sale next week for $14.99 (I will price adjust it when the time comes) has made me change my mind. Hopefully I made a worthwhile decision.