DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1090 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 55  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:42 pm 
Special Edition

I just hope that the film doesn't lose the wonderful isolated, eerie atmosphere that "Sleeping Beauty" had. Obviously it may be necessary to change this in order to tell a new story, but it's one of the things I love about the source material.

I loved how there were so few characters, and all of the other people of the kingdom were just still images, like pictures on a tapestry, without faces sometimes even. I think Lazario put it best in a thread years ago, where he/she described the world of Sleeping Beauty as a dangerous and dark place, where the forests and mountains were deserted and danger lurked everywhere outside, and even at times inside, the castle walls, or words to that effect. It was a very insightful post and one which I'd love to read again if I could find it.

Snow White achieved a very similar effect, although perhaps not intentionally. Look at the number of characters: You have the Queen, Snow White, the Prince, the huntsman and the dwarves. There seem to be no other existing people in this Kingdom (although surely there are). The fact that we never see anyone or any other signs of human life except for the central characters just makes the world of the film seem so deserted and eerie.

It would be great to see this effect carried over to "Maleficent", although the director may wish to take a different route.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:17 pm 
Platinum Edition

Yea Wondy they are more human, except for the dragon, of course!

candydog, Lazario is a guy by the way, and I was going to say all Disney fairy tales have little amounts of people due to Disney having to be economical and it seems only Cinderella is more populated because of the ball, and the people at the palace gate reading the proclamation, but Sleeping Beauty (which was less economical) tried to put more people in and yet it still ended up eerie! Both Snow White and Sleeping Beauty are darker films, too, and concern death. I'd imagine this Maleficent film will expand upon the people and world...but perhaps the people will stay far in the background, being solemn, and the forest and forbidden mountain will no doubt still be uninhabited and feel ghostly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:11 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

candydog wrote:
I just hope that the film doesn't lose the wonderful isolated, eerie atmosphere that "Sleeping Beauty" had. Obviously it may be necessary to change this in order to tell a new story, but it's one of the things I love about the source material.

Agreed. Sleeping Beauty has so few Disney-esque characters - the soft, almost cartoony, round-faced characters that were the norm for the 1950's. In the early scenes, all the background characters appear to be faceless. The film has an unsettling emptiness to it; and because of the overall darker colours of the film, one can't help but feel that there are villains hiding in the shadows everywhere. It's as though Stefan's kingdom became deserted after Aurora was cursed. I also agree that Snow White is similar in this respect; it's one of the things that makes it so spooky and unnerving.

Maleficent, being a modern movie, will probably have guards fighting trolls et cetera with explosions and tedious action scenes instead of the original film's style and atmosphere. :roll:

I don't like the fact that Linda Woolverton is writing the script. She didn't 'get' the source material for Alice in Wonderland, and spoiled it with unnecessary details and turned into a bit of a swords-and-sorcery film. I'm worried that she'll add too much plot and too many twists to Maleficent in place of character development. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:58 am 
Collector's Edition

It looks like Maleficent will be shot at Pinewood Studios! (PotC, Harry Potter, Prince of Persia, Tomb Raider have all been filmed here.)

Quote:
Kim Pope's Experience

Maleficent
Pinewood
January 2012 – Present (4 months) Pinewood Studios
Concept Artist

Quote:
Matt Wynne's Overview

Current
Pinewood
Art department on 'Malificent' at The Walt Disney Studios

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:23 am 
Collector's Edition

Harry Potter was shot at the Leavesden Studios. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:26 am 
Collector's Edition

Scamander wrote:
Harry Potter was shot at the Leavesden Studios. ;)

Deathly Hallows was shot at Pinewood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:47 am 
Special Edition

Quote:
For a long time, the only thing we’ve really, truly known about Disney’s revisionist angle on Sleeping Beauty, Maleficent, is that it’ll take the titular fairy’s side and that Angelina Jolie will star. The film locked in a director with Robert Stromberg and there were rumours of Elle Fanning as Princess Aurora recently, but now there is actual confirmation of another actor, as Sharlto Copley is in negotiations to sign on.

Copley, who has been lining up all sorts of roles this week, will be King Stefan, the father of Aurora, and one of the people affected when Maleficent curses her. Given the casting of the District 9 star, you’ve got to figure this means Stefan will be given an expanded role in the story, because we can’t believe anyone casts Copley to just show up and wear a crown for a few days.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=33862

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:11 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Well, I may have been living under a rock, but I got this information today.

http://d23.disney.go.com/news/2012/04/a ... aleficent/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:26 pm 
Collector's Edition

Imelda Staunton, Miranda Richardson Joining Angelina Jolie in 'Maleficent'

Quote:
Staunton and Manville are playing Knotgrass and Flittle, respectively, two of the three pixies that end up taking care of Aurora. (They were fairies in the original tales.)

No, no no no no no no no! :( They can't change the names of the Fairies! and they are not pixies either!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/maleficent-angelina-jolie-imelda-staunton-miranda-richardson-320955

edit- they sound like names from the Disney Fairies Franchise! This ain't no Tinker Bell move. :x

Last edited by DisneyDude2010 on Mon May 07, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:29 pm 
Limited Edition

DisneyDude2010 wrote:
Imelda Staunton, Miranda Richardson Joining Angelina Jolie in 'Maleficent'

Quote:
Staunton and Manville are playing Knotgrass and Flittle, respectively, two of the three pixies that end up taking care of Aurora. (They were fairies in the original tales.)

HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII, DISNEY! Their names are Flora and Fauna!!!!!! NOT KNOTGRASS AND FLITTLE! WHAT THE HECK?! It doesn't matter if they were in the original tale, this is the Disney movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x :x :x :x

FAVORITE DISNEY MOVIES: All of the Disney Princess and Pixar movies, Meet the Robinsons, Enchanted, The Lion King, High School Musical 3, Toy Story 3, and Lilo and Stitch :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:51 pm 
Collector's Edition

It doesn't really make sense to change their names!

I mean, the movie is called 'Malificent', so it's obviously based on the Disney movie. Also, why keep the name of the king, who plays a smaller part than the fairies (not pixies!) in the Diney movie, but change their names?

Ow well, at least I like the actresses they picked :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:58 pm 
Platinum Edition

supertalies wrote:
I mean, the movie is called 'Maleficent', so it's obviously based on the Disney movie. Also, why keep the name of the king, who plays a smaller part than the fairies in the Diney movie, but change their names?

I know. Why does Disney keep doing these sort of stuff? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:58 pm 
Collector's Edition

I totally agree. They are recognizable, iconic Disney Fairies! Why on earth would they change their names? It goes against the whole story! Do Pixies even have magic to produce dresses, make cakes and grant wishes?

I can't wait to hear Dusters views on this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:09 pm 
Special Edition

What's the freaking point of this being a live-action take on the animated film when you're ditching Flora, Fauna and Merryweather?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:18 pm 
Platinum Edition

DisneyDude2012 wrote:
I can't wait to hear Dusters views on this!
I can't wait either. :lol:

I do like the addition of Imelda Staunton though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:38 pm 
Special Edition

Oh dear... Well maybe it's a mistake and they are in fact going to be the same fairies from the movie only with different names. After all, I can't tell you how many news reports I've read/heard that have called Maleficent "the evil queen". Calling the fairies "pixies" could be a similar error.

I really hope they are going to be at least based on Flora, Fauna and Merryweather. It seems a little silly to change important characters from the film this project is based on, especially seeing as they've kept so many other names/elements the same.

Otherwise, the two actresses they've cast are terrific. I'm just a little disappointed at the possible loss of my favourite Disney characters from the movie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:39 pm 
Collector's Edition

If the fairies are not called Flora, Fauna and Merryweather, than that's a horrible decision. What is Disney thinking?!

Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:42 pm 
Collector's Edition

Perhaps this is Linda Woolverton's way of showing off, just like when she/they came up with names for many of the characters in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland...

Reading that Hollywood Reporter article I have realised that this is not a live action version of Sleeping Beauty with some additional scenes for Maleficent like I had wanted, it's seems like a totally new story very loosely based on the Disney movie.

Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:02 am 
Collector's Edition

So they have Miranda Richardson playing one of the good fairies and not having her play Maleficent?

WTF?!!?

And if you're going to have the movie be called Maleficent why even change the name of the fairies.

Look. Linda. Do us a favor. Stop trying to be too clever! OK? It's getting in the way of you actually making sense. What happened? You did such a good job with Beauty and the Beast and now you're writing essentially fanfics that should remain just that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:03 am 
Platinum Edition

HOW CAN YOU GET ANGELINA JOLIE TO PLAY MALEFICENT IN A FILM ALL ABOUT ONE OF DISNEY'S GREATEST VILLAINS, AND THEN F*** IT UP?!!!!!!!!!!!

I must thank DisneyDude and Disney's Divinity to make me feel like people actually care about what I say on this forum. I almost wanna a cry. Thanks guys lol.

Anyway, like a lot of people have said, it makes zero, zero, zero sense to have a movie entitled Maleficent but change all the rest of the names.

Linda Woolverton is now officially a menace that murders classic stories. Disney keeps her because she was good when she made Beauty and the Beast (and The Lion King?) and Alice made a lot of money despite her script.

But there is one thing that I think I may have realized. Maybe she calls them pixies to differentiate how Maleficent is different from them. Maybe she decided fairies would be beings without wings while pixies would have wings, as well as magical dust. It's still wrong according to the actual Disney films (and Shakespeare, lol), but having such a reasoning at least makes the idea bearable, if that's the case.

I'm badly hoping that they get their movie names later, but even if they do, that won't make things much better because the point of their names was that it represented their powers as fairies, one for plantlife and the other for animal life, another for weather. Maybe they do graduate to those names as they get their powers, who knows it's still mesed up.

Oh, but did anyone catch this?:
Quote:
Sharlto Copley is Stefan, the half-human, half-fairy bastard son of the human king.

Um, bastard son? This may be the first time I know of Disney ever indicating that you can have babies with people other than your husband or wife...?!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1090 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 55  Next