Moana

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Someone mind linking me to the short, if possible?
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

DisneyJedi wrote:Someone mind linking me to the short, if possible?
I doubt it's been posted anywhere online yet.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

DisneyJedi wrote:Someone mind linking me to the short, if possible?
You probably won't be able to see it for quite some time yet, but you can read my impressions on it in this thread: http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Anonymous wrote:Ron & John's new project is GOING to be CG, and everyone knows it.
Source: http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2012/ ... ngdom.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

You know, this REALLY isn't the first time Ron and John have done a movie with almost mostly CG. Treasure Planet, anybody?

And now their next film's going to be CG without any hand-drawn elements? Pardon, I didn't read the article, but I'm kind of feeling under that impression, along with the impression that they're kind of selling out.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

From the reports over at TAG Blog and at Blue Sky Disney, it seems that Ron & John have indeed been doing CG/2D tests ala "Paperman" but management hasn't decided yet on whether they'll go through with it. They may greenlit a short based on this new technique but will they risk it on a feature? They may deem it to be too 'different' or 'distracting' for a feature and axe it like they did with Glen Keane's 'painterly' style.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Oh poodoo! :( But fine. By all means, go right ahead Disney. Evethough you are chickenshit for not doing hand drawn animation!:x
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

I think that with the buzz that Paperman is generating in the animation community, Disney would be stupid not to use it in a film. I can't remember myself but was it Lasseter's WDAS that axed Glen Keane's 'painterly' style or the previous management? I remember reading an interview with Glen where he said that once Lasseter came in to Disney he was happy for Tangled to be animated whichever way Glen had wanted at the time so that makes me think that WDAS today might be a little more open to using new developments in animation style in their films. I might be wrong and maybe Clements and Musker's new film will be CG if it ever goes into production but, if Paperman lives up to the hype, I don't see a reason why WDAS wouldn't want to take advantage of that and build on it.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

:lol:

You know one thing I find funny is that when Walt Disney was alive people complained when he did something different than his usual work or criticised him when he was sticking to the formula he was famous for.So,complaining about Disney's current forumla goes back to when Walt was still alive.The reason why I bring it up is because in the documentary on BBC that was mentioned in another thread I remember hearing that.I think the underline thing is that Disney should follow whatever story they want to do as long as they put effort and heart into it.Wether its a fairy tale based story or a premise that is totally outside the box they need heart in their stories to make it work.I want Disney still make fairy tales but at the same time it also must sometimes step outside the box so it can surpise and amaze its loyal fans.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Hey, sorry to beat a dead horse, but I can't help but see Tangled and The Princess and the Frog almost like siblings or something and perceive the latter as the older sibling that wishes the former (representing the younger sibling) never existed because of the attention/praise the "younger sibling" is getting not only from the parent(s) (represented by the Disney company), but also from others as well.

And honestly, I wouldn't blame them. Hand-drawn is treated like it doesn't matter while CG gets everything it doesn't exactly deserve 100% of the time, which really seems unfair. Again, not to kick a dead horse, but WHY has Disney pitted its recent two hand-drawn films against bigger moneymaker films? To "prove" that hand-drawn will never come back?! I know they're still working on that, but I'm really beginning to have my doubts. :(
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:I think that with the buzz that Paperman is generating in the animation community, Disney would be stupid not to use it in a film. I can't remember myself but was it Lasseter's WDAS that axed Glen Keane's 'painterly' style or the previous management?
True, Lasseter did let Glen choose whether to do the feature in CG or 2D (that was before TPatF underperformed) and Glen chose CG because he wanted to follow through this Fragonard-painting style. However, amid production this style was deemed too distracting by the new management and so it was scrapped for something more conventional-looking. I've read this in "The Art of Tangled" book.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

I have that book but haven't read through it properly yet. Either way, if this new style of animation is the "game changer" that those in the know claim it to be, I really don't see a reason why Disney wouldn't use it in a film. Perhaps we'll get a better idea when the short is released and we get a chance to see this new style ourselves but with the response it's gotten already it would surprise me if Disney didn't move forward with it. But that's just what I think, hopefully we'll know something more soon.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Something to consider ...

Does Paperman's animation style require more time to animate, or is significantly more laborious to do than standard CG/hand-drawn? If so, then it'd likely cost more to use in an entire animated feature.

I think if the style is not approved for use for an entire film (i.e. deemed too costly), it may be used to embellish a particular sequence in an otherwise standardly animated feature.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

They did mention that during their pitches for Paperman, they somehow sold the execs on the idea that it would be cheaper and faster, because the elimination of the texture and lighting passes would make up for the added animation time. But they kind of laughed at that and said that it of course ended up taking longer than they had hoped because there was a lot of back and forth between cg and traditional animators in order to get the scene just right. So that could very well be a reason that execs maybe wouldn't be 100% on board for a feature right away.

I hope they're able to see past that and realize what they have here.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Really, while I'm sold on the idea of the medium that Paperman is an experiment in, I still would love for Disney to do some of their future movie COMPLETELY hand-drawn (with small elements of CG).

Hopefully, when I pitch my movie to them (whenever that could be), they'll agree to have the animated portion of the movie be hand-drawn because that's how I'm envisioning it.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

SWillie! wrote:But they kind of laughed at that and said that it of course ended up taking longer than they had hoped because there was a lot of back and forth between cg and traditional animators in order to get the scene just right.
That's understandable if it's the first time this type of animation has been used. Hopefully the management at WDAS will realise that the more the animators are allowed to practice and experiment with this new style, the more skilled they will become at it and the need for that back and forth might be reduced.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

ARL: Animation Research Library wrote:Ron and John are currently working to develop the next hand-drawn feature at Disney Animation. (Sorry, we can't tell you what that is.)
Source: http://www.facebook.com/DisneyARL/posts ... 0127336131

Hmm, I find this hard to believe. Have things changed or is the person who operates this Facebook page misinformed?
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Huh?? Honestly, I don't even know what that's supposed to mean. :?
Last edited by DisneyJedi on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I would think an official Disney Facebook page is more accurate in its information than most other sources. Though, it being the Paperman technique wouldn't be out of the question.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Interesting... I certainly hope it's the Paperman technique, but I certainly won't complain if they really are developing it to be totally hand-drawn.