The Little Mermaid: Diamond Edition - Fall 2013

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

The Little Mermaid: Diamond Edition - Fall 2013

Post by zackisthewalrus »

Walt Disney Pictures will re-release "The Little Mermaid" in Digital 3D in theaters on September 13, 2013. Following the theatrical re-release, a Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D release is expected to follow.

So, I know this is VERY early, but what do you all want to see in this release? Do you think that 3D will work well with this film?

Personally, I really hope they do a new restoration to the film. The one on the Platinum DVD was underwhelming. Also, I hope the 3D turns out well. It'll be interesting to see since this will be the first 3D conversion for a hand-drawn animated film that isn't a CAPS film.
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm so looking forward to the new era. :D 2013 is too far away...
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of The Little Mermaid: Diamond Edition. I agree, I hope we get a new restoration. I'm sure they'll blow us away in the end.

I'll definitely check it out in the theatre, but I doubt whether I'll see it in 3D or not. I'm leaning towards not.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Given that they'll be formatting it for 3D, I'd hope a new transfer would be a given. Part of my suspects the movie will never look amazingly spectacular simply because it's from a time period where budget crunches were a big issue, and frankly a lot of Disney movies from that era almost seem to have that inescapable grainy feel, but it could still stand to look better.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

I think this movie will look odd in 3D. Multiplane was 3D for hand-painted animation so i couldn't imagine how this will look.
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

I hope there is another restoration done as well. Whereas I very much enjoy the Platinum release, as a whole, the art direction of this film was all over the place. It's not very consistent... plus the Platinum release seemed to have a lot of gray moments. Beyond excited, though.
stitchje1981
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stitchje1981 »

I am really looking forward to this on having it on Blu ray
If it comes out in 3D in cinemas I'll be the first to go!
Although, like it been said, it'll look weird in 3D. I saw The Lion King in 3D and apart from Scar jumping on Simba at the end I didn't feel a thing that it was in 3D...

Still waiting for Beauty And The Beast to come out in 3Din cinemas soon, I have high expectations about that one!

But The Little Mermaid is sure worth a look in 3D and Love to see it on Blu Ray
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

It'll look stunning on Blu-Ray and I'm really hoping that they transfer across the Little Match Girl short that was on the DVD in HD. It's the best thing Disney made in the past decade but for some reason they decided to do away with Fantasia World on the Fantasia release.

As for 3D...I utterly despise 3D conversions. They're colourisation for the 21st century - can they work? Yes but that doesn't mean they should be done.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

yamiiguy wrote:As for 3D...I utterly despise 3D conversions. They're colourisation for the 21st century - can they work? Yes but that doesn't mean they should be done.
It's not about if they should be done. It's an experimental thing for fun. It's not hurting the original, people can always see it. It's not like there's any case for why it shouldn't be done.

Anyway, yes, this 3D venture should ensure a new (and way better) restoration. That it very much needs.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

This is one of my all-time favorites. I had a couple issues with the platinum edition DVD, as others have said it's very grey and grainy, no doubt because of its late 1980's, lower-finance roots. Hopefully it goes through a restoration that puts it on par with other DACs on blu-ray, the results could be stunning IMO.
Disney Duster wrote:
yamiiguy wrote:As for 3D...I utterly despise 3D conversions. They're colourisation for the 21st century - can they work? Yes but that doesn't mean they should be done.
It's not about if they should be done. It's an experimental thing for fun. It's not hurting the original, people can always see it. It's not like there's any case for why it shouldn't be done.
Exactly, it's not like Disney isn't going to sell the original 2D version and force the 3D one down everyone's throats (though I'm sure it wouldn't surprise some people :wink: ).
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Ivan wrote:
Disney Duster wrote: It's not about if they should be done. It's an experimental thing for fun. It's not hurting the original, people can always see it. It's not like there's any case for why it shouldn't be done.
Exactly, it's not like Disney isn't going to sell the original 2D version and force the 3D one down everyone's throats (though I'm sure it wouldn't surprise some people :wink: ).
Unless they end up doing what they did with "On Stranger Tides" and "Cars 2" on Blu-ray where the second bonus feature disc is only available in the 3D version. Then there's a problem.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

Disney Duster wrote:

Anyway, yes, this 3D venture should ensure a new (and way better) restoration. That it very much needs.
I'm sure Disney do it for money, not fun. Ultimately, it's just my opinion that they shouldn't be done but something really bothers me about it. It's a Wonderful Life is available in both it's original and colourised versions but that doesn't mean it should have been colourised in the first place.
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Heres hoping Enigmawing will create our bluray-cover art!!! Love your work, not like, Love
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

yamiiguy wrote:I'm sure Disney do it for money, not fun. Ultimately, it's just my opinion that they shouldn't be done but something really bothers me about it. It's a Wonderful Life is available in both it's original and colourised versions but that doesn't mean it should have been colourised in the first place.
I and a lot of other film lovers understand and get that feeling. Like, if you're going to watch the movie, watch how it was intended. It's the "artsy" way to watch the movie as art. The only solace I can provide is that the people that will truly get and appreciate the film as art, or even just most regular people, will watch the original versions of these films, while the 3D is just, a different experience. Consider that parts of these original films are changed all the time for rides at Disney World for example. No one will watch the film in 3D thinking "this is how the film was meant to be/should be!" unless they are so stupid they won't appreciate the film, like I said.

Anyway, done for money or not, it is gonna be fun. Well, for those who so choose.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

I really hope they make a GREAT improvement over the Platinum.

Today I bought the movie for a friend in Spain (and besides the fact that here it was sold as 1 Disc), I can´t believe that a movie that´s so important for Disney and must have been so hard to do (under water and in 89) got such a bland making of.
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

The Making Of of the 1-Disc version sold in parts of Europe is much shorter than the Original of the 2-Disc version
azul017
Special Edition

Post by azul017 »

yamiiguy wrote: As for 3D...I utterly despise 3D conversions. They're colourisation for the 21st century - can they work? Yes but that doesn't mean they should be done.
If the re-releases of TLK and BaTB have indicated, Disney will provide a 2D show in addition to the 3D versions during the first two weeks. Most likely, the 2D show will be the first show of the day, and the rest will be 3D.
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

This should be epic! :D
monorail91
Gold Classic Collection

Post by monorail91 »

This will make Under the Sea so epic, I can't wait. :)

Growing up seeing the re-release of TLM in theaters was one of my favorite moviegoing experiences, so this will be fantastic to see again now that I've gotten older and I appreciate this film so much more.
January 6, 2009 - Met Stephen Schwartz
September 4, 2009 - Met Tom Hulce
September 18, 2009 - Met Miley Cyrus
August 3, 2011 - Met John Musker
Lorddh
Gold Classic Collection

TLM

Post by Lorddh »

This will be day 1 for me.
I just hope they give it an amazing art cover and a gorgeous slipcover.

I actually dislike the lenticular slipcovers... The picture is easy to come off and well I just don't like them..