R.I.P THOMAS KINKADE

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
msh1975
Gold Classic Collection

R.I.P THOMAS KINKADE

Post by msh1975 »

I JUST SAW ON AOL FRONT PAGE THAT THOMAS KINKADE JUST PASSED AWAY FROM NATURAL CAUSES......VERY SUDDEN. I LOVED HIS ARTWORK AND IM VERY SADDEN BY THIS NEWS........MY CONDOLENCES TO THE FAMILY
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

That's too bad. He must have been under stress. He also could've had a heart attack. being an artist can be tough work from what I hear.
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

I don't know who he is. How was he involved with Disney?
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Khonnor wrote:I don't know who he is. How was he involved with Disney?
He was an artist who had created some pieces of Disney fine-art that are used reasonably often by Disney. Here's a sampling of some of his work to give you a general idea of what he did:

RIP, and my condolences to Kinkade's friends and family.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Holy crap. Was just talking about him last night, as once again I was reading about how a lot of seemingly bitter artists are pretty harshly judgmental about his work. :(
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Yeah, just a few minutes ago, my roommate, who is an artist, was saying how he doesn't do his own work and makes money on and takes credit for other peoples' work, and then how he does light sources wrong...

I like his Disney pictures, though.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Yeah, just a few minutes ago, my roommate, who is an artist, was saying how he doesn't do his own work and makes money on and takes credit for other peoples' work, and then how he does light sources wrong...

I like his Disney pictures, though.
Never heard that he didn't do his own work and took credit for others, but doing the light sources "wrong" was intentional on his part. He never went for realism, he used light to represent the divine and make things "pretty." His style appealed to the masses so much that it became a brand, and I think that's why there are a lot of harsh critics out there.

Anyway, here's a link to see more of his Disney work for those unfamiliar with him: http://www.thomaskinkade.com/magi/servl ... goryId=966
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I'm looking at his 2012 Disney calendar as I write this. Beauty & the Beast is the picture for April. I pre-ordered his 2013 Disney calendar already. I think they're lovely.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

This is very sad news to hear. :(

My mom and grandma love his work, so this will be bad news for them to hear as well. My prayers go out to his family as well, Easter being tomorrow and all.

Unless I'm wrong, I thought I heard somewhere that a lot of Princess and the Frog's background design for the New Orleans scenes were supposed to be reflective of his work. That's been a reason why I enjoyed the film so much.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Now what will our nation's grandmothers hang on their walls?
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

This is sad, but yeah... ever since he became more of a "company" than an "artist", he has been only mildly involved in the painting process itself. He would be involved with planning out the painting, but several artists were then trained to paint in "his style". A questionable practice to be sure, but then again he always said he never wanted to "express himself" as most artists do, but instead to "give the masses what they want". Which, in his case, was more paintings that looked like his. He knew he target audience is people that, to be blunt, don't know anything about art - they just wanted pretty pictures. And he did indeed give them that, no matter who physically painted them.

But I digress. This is sad and unexpected. Best wishes to his family and his company.

Also, it should be noted that his death will probably not hinder the production of new paintings done with his name on them, just as Walt Disney's death did not hinder new films with his name on him. It should most definitely be understood that "Kinkade" is a brand, not an artist.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Rest in peace.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

enigmawing wrote:once again I was reading about how a lot of seemingly bitter artists are pretty harshly judgmental about his work. :(
Yeah, my uncle who's an artist hates him too. Mostly cause he use his art as in a mass produce "company". To many artist it gives off a message "I'll use art just make money rather the for art it's self." In a way it seems to be a sign you don't care about art. etc etc.

I like the pictures he draws but I do have to agree with many artist about his methods. It's cheap. Making pretty pictures alone isn't what makes you a good artist.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

See, I don't think people should hate him for doing that... Rather they should just be aware of it. I mean, I understand what he is/was doing, and why he did. He filled a market that was undeniably there. But I think the problem lies in the fact that the average person buying his artwork has no idea that the painting was most likely not painted by the man himself. I think if people understood that it was simply a brand, there's no problem
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I can see how some would think he was a complete sell-out, that his art is cheesy/cheap, or was designed to appeal to those that know nothing about "real" art, but I guess I'm indifferent to these things. I don't really care if someone wants to make money off what they create or their definition of what "real" art is supposed to be, or that he ended up marketing himself and his staff as a brand. Can't even say I was ever a fan outside of the Disney pieces, but at the same time I was getting pretty sick of all the bashing I'd been reading lately, most notably from one of my favorite webcomic artists who called him a complete hack and claimed he got what he deserved when his company filed for bankruptcy. Then again, I know absolutely nothing of his personal life, but with this news I imagine that we'll be seeing a lot more bashing.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

R.I.P Thomas Kinkane :(

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Krs7PqhcZX8" frameborder="0"></iframe>
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

very sad news.

i adore his art and have a calendar featuring some of his work on my wall. i dont care about the bashing etc.

may the painter of light, paint forever more.

RIP thomas. you were an amazing artist.
big kid at heart
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

As sad as his passing is, I've always found his work to be butt ugly.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

SpringHeelJack wrote:Now what will our nation's grandmothers hang on their walls?
Heh.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

A lot of people hated Norman Rockwell too. I say to each his own. If you like something, go for it!