Wreck-It Ralph (formerly Reboot Ralph)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Disney Duster wrote:You absolutely ignored what I said about how Walt did new things but that were also still like the old things, too.
Kinda like how you ignore the fact that we want you to stop speaking for someone who's been dead for nearly 50 years and that we just spent the last page trying to get that through your head.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Disney Duster wrote:You absolutely ignored what I said about how Walt did new things but that were also still like the old things, too.
I didn't ignore that at all. You've obviously ignored what I said before about Wreck-It Ralph containing the hallmarks of Walt Disney's classic films (adventure, fantasy, romance, good vs evil) but being done in a new way. You're the one who keeps complaining about them presenting "fake virtual life" as real life when they're not even doing that (as I've said several times when I said that the film takes place in an alternate, fantastical world, not the real world). I haven't ignored anything you've said, there's just a limit to how many times I can repeat myself.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Dream Huntress
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Dream Huntress »

PatrickvD wrote:
Kinda like how you ignore the fact that we want you to stop speaking for someone who's been dead for nearly 50 years and that we just spent the last page trying to get that through your head.
This so much, I'm sure not even the people who actually met the man start rambling about what he would have wanted or done everytime the studio does movie that's not about fairy tales or animal sidekicks.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

PatrickvD wrote:
No. Not like that. Not like how I ignore such meaness of people trying to make me give up my right to speak on what I personally think is important and should be said and is not speaking for Walt but saying I don't THINK Walt would want something looking at what his old work showed consistently along with whatever new things he did to his consistent elements.
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

Does anyone else think it's weird that this film is coming out in November and we still don't have a trailer? I feel like this is the same thing they did with John Carter.. really minimal advertising. I'm really excited for this film but we only have three pieces of concept art and some photos fans took.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I really love how Disney are marketing this movie too! Image Rock on!
MutantEnemy
Special Edition

Post by MutantEnemy »

Not to interrupt this fascinating, every thread encompassing, extremely played out argument :roll: but....today while at the theatre for Titanic 3D I saw the employees at Cinemark wearing Wreck-it Ralph T-shirts...they were black with the film logo on the back. I didn't get a pic but it's good to know they are starting to promote the film. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

patrick wrote:Does anyone else think it's weird that this film is coming out in November and we still don't have a trailer?
I was expecting a trailer to be released with Brave in June so that would give Disney five months to build on the marketing campaign before Wreck-It Ralph's release. Either way I hope it isn't much longer before we get the first trailer.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:
patrick wrote:Does anyone else think it's weird that this film is coming out in November and we still don't have a trailer?
I was expecting a trailer to be released with Brave in June so that would give Disney five months to build on the marketing campaign before Wreck-It Ralph's release. Either way I hope it isn't much longer before we get the first trailer.
Yeah, PATF and Tangled did the same thing. Besides the teaser trailer, PATF's REAL trailer didn't came out until May and Tangled didn't came out until June
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

disneyprincess11 wrote:
DisneyAnimation88 wrote: I was expecting a trailer to be released with Brave in June so that would give Disney five months to build on the marketing campaign before Wreck-It Ralph's release. Either way I hope it isn't much longer before we get the first trailer.
Yeah, PATF and Tangled did the same thing. Besides the teaser trailer, PATF's REAL trailer didn't came out until May and Tangled didn't came out until June
I guess I didn't realize. :lol: Well that's understandable, then.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but this was the status on Walt Disney Animation Studios' Facebook page today:

"A world made entirely of edible sweets? We can get behind that.

Enter one of the worlds in our 52nd feature film, Wreck-It Ralph."

http://www.facebook.com/DisneyAnimation

And under the About section it now says, "Our 52nd Feature, Wreck-It Ralph, Releases Fall 2012."

So maybe they're getting ready to start focusing on this one a bit more? I always got the sense that perhaps they were holding back a bit so as not to steal any thunder from Brave.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

Not sure if this is new, or just something that I newly noticed but the link from the Disney Pictures page resolves here:

http://www.disney.go.com/movies/movie-n ... oming_Intl

The page itself is rather anemic and contains nothing we haven't seen before, but at least there's something instead of "Coming Soon."
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well...I guess an 8-bit video game character could never be thought of as able to do all the things Ralph does, including jumping out of said game into...the real world, and then other video games? He's not a robot. So...it sounds like it might be really obvious he has a real life in him with real emotions, not simulated video life. So...that's good. Of course, you know me, I'd rather some Disney magic specifically makes him come to life, but...well hopefully this will feel like it has the metaphoric Disney magic anyway.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Q: How did you get involved with Wreck-It Ralph and what character are you voicing for that film?

Jane Lynch: I was asked to do it. I actually took a tour of the Pixar facility, just north of San Francisco, and I met John Lassiter and a bunch of other people. I don’t know that I did anything for them right after that, but I ended up doing a short (Small Fry) for them, and they asked me to do Wreck-It Ralph. Wreck-It Ralph is a 1980s video game from an arcade that no one plays anymore, and Wreck-It Ralph himself wants to get out and get into a more high-tech game. My game is a military game, where we’re armies and I’m the general of this particular game, and Wreck-It Ralph jumps into our reality.

Q: Do you enjoy getting to do that kind of voice-over work?

Jane Lynch: Oh, yeah, absolutely! I love it! I made my living doing voice-over for several years, before my acting work became a little more consistent, so I love doing it. I’m so glad that I get to keep doing it.
Source: http://collider.com/jane-lynch-three-st ... ew/157652/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

Is there seriously another Disney Essence debate derailing this thread? Seriously? I know I have participated in a few in the past, but...God.
Disney Duster wrote:Well...I guess an 8-bit video game character could never be thought of as able to do all the things Ralph does, including jumping out of said game into...the real world, and then other video games? He's not a robot. So...it sounds like it might be really obvious he has a real life in him with real emotions, not simulated video life. So...that's good. Of course, you know me, I'd rather some Disney magic specifically makes him come to life, but...well hopefully this will feel like it has the metaphoric Disney magic anyway.
Let me tell you something, Duster - it's not the content or the plot details or the changes from source material that matters, it's the technique the filmmakers use. I don't care if Ralph is brought to life by the Disney Essence or not; I care about whether I will like him, and whether I will relate to him. It doesn't matter if something has fairies, princesses and magic in; it's whether the animation, dialogue, voice work, music and direction are good. You don't love Cinderella because it has magic and fairies, you love it because it has well-animated magic, good music and good characterisation. In a Disney film, it's irrelevant whether magic is involved; what matters is whether the film is of good quality. Technique will always, always, always be better than content when it comes to films, books...any stories. This even applies to music - does it matter if Strauss, Handler or Beethoven were doing something related to Christ or romance or death? No, it matters if their music is well-written, powerful and memorable. Whether Wreck-It Ralph will be good or not will be determined by the way the story is shown and developed, not the details in what it's about.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm actually not really going to make a big response to that because my point was that I was trying to tell people why I was really on board for this movie and actually kind of ending my problems with this film.

Let me just say, I think making it clear that characters were really living was important to Walt, and magic making them come alive was just one way of helping, and I think such things as what is in the movies and what the stories are about reflect what Disney is about and really is important, but I think you've made it clear you don't agree with most of those things, so for now we can agree to disagree if we must.

:)

Oh, and actually I love Cinderella because of both things. I do like it a lot because it has magic in it, but it's also the way they do it so well just as well as they do the characters, music, art, and story I love.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Honor Hunter wrote:Later this year, "Wreck-It Ralph" will debut and show audiences that "Tangled" wasn't a fluke. From the stories I've gotten, it sounds like they really have a heart filled tale that will have everyone seeing this film over and over again. What "Toy Story" did for toys, this does for video games. And the nostalgia for those that grew up on 8-bit games as well as those that love the 90's games are going to be in love with this film. And boys, will eat this up. Get that? "Boys," the marketing demo that the Suits seem to be worried about.
Source: http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2012/ ... ngdom.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

Sotiris wrote:
Honor Hunter wrote:Later this year, "Wreck-It Ralph" will debut and show audiences that "Tangled" wasn't a fluke. From the stories I've gotten, it sounds like they really have a heart filled tale that will have everyone seeing this film over and over again. What "Toy Story" did for toys, this does for video games. And the nostalgia for those that grew up on 8-bit games as well as those that love the 90's games are going to be in love with this film. And boys, will eat this up. Get that? "Boys," the marketing demo that the Suits seem to be worried about.
Source: http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2012/ ... ngdom.html
Is it me or is Pixar is rubbing off on Disney because it sounds like they are taking a Pixar premise and putting it with the Disney label?I actually see this as a good thing since it diversifies what Disney can do in terms of movies.If this will be the Toy Story of video games then I am all for it.I still can't wait for November so I can take my grandma or mom to see this movie.Even though it will be about video games I still think they would like anything Disney puts out that has quality and heart.From what I am reading it seems to have a good helping of both.It might have some pop culture reference since its based on video games but if its done right then it will help the movie instead of make the older audience groan.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

They didn't take a Pixar premise and try to make it Disney. What a blasphemous idea. Yup, I said that.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

I wouldn't call it a Pixar premise but I do see why some are saying that. I agree that it's nice to see Disney trying their hand at a film they don't typically make; I like the classic fairy tales as much as anyone, I enjoyed Princess and the Frog and Tangled and I'm excited to see what they do with Frozen but if Wreck-It Ralph is the success that some are predicting it will be then I hope it does encourage Disney to think outside the box a little more and produce more original films.