Maleficent (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

lord-of-sith wrote:It's hard for me to believe that it's actually being made!
I thought the same thing!
lord-of-sith wrote:This project has me more excited than practically anything else that Disney has ever developed! And that's saying a lot!
Really?! More than there most classicest classics?! Ha, the other stuff must be pretty much just the original film that spawned the title character lol.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Can't say I'm a big fan of Angelina Jolie but she does seem like a good fit for the character; I would have preferred an actress like Charlize Theron but she's playing the Queen in a live-action version of Snow White so that rules her out. Hopefully the film if good; they're dealing with a brilliant and iconic character and one of the greatest villains in all of Disney's films so I'm not sure I like the idea of them making her in any way redeemable, if that is what they're planning. Does anyone know if the three good fairies will be in the film or are they focusing mainly on Maleficent and Aurora?
We're not going to Guam, are we?
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Julian Carter wrote: So, who are the two hot boys making out in your avatar? :D
That would be Kurt and Blaine from Glee :D
Disney Duster wrote: Really?! More than there most classicest classics?! Ha, the other stuff must be pretty much just the original film that spawned the title character lol.
Well in theory at least. The final product may very well be a lesser film than the classics, but the idea of "live action movie based on the character of Maleficent" excites me a lot more than say "animated film based on the classic tale of Beauty and the Beast." Though I doubt it'll be a superior film.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Someone should change the title of this discussion, since Tim Burton has nothing to do with this production. "Maleficent (starring Angelina Jolie)", "Maleficent (2014 movie)", "Maleficent (live action movie)" or something like that would be a better title.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote: Does anyone know if the three good fairies will be in the film or are they focusing mainly on Maleficent and Aurora?
I would think if Aurora's in it...the fairies...have to be...I mean, they're there at her birth...and take care of her till Maleficent's demise.
lord-of-sith wrote:Well in theory at least. The final product may very well be a lesser film than the classics, but the idea of "live action movie based on the character of Maleficent" excites me a lot more than say "animated film based on the classic tale of Beauty and the Beast." Though I doubt it'll be a superior film.
Oh, I think I get what you mean. All the Disney canon classics will probably be better...but this film will excite you more no matter what, just like a Cinderella live-action film (that actually was based on the Disney version) could potentially give me eternal orgasms like no other classic besides Cinderella could.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:I would have preferred an actress like Charlize Theron
Thank God that didn't happen. I would never have wanted to see this if Theron was the lead.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Some more casting rumors have surfaced, attached to some interesting characters! Fair warning, the article contains potential spoilers.

http://www.malextra.com/movies/movie-ne ... 33300.html

Thoughts on casting/characters (spoilers): The idea of Maleficent having a lover initially comes off as a bit odd, but if handled correctly, could actually be amazing. Imagine if in a jealous and selfish rage, she transformed him into the raven, that's just golden! Having King Stefan as half-fairy is interesting as well, I'm looking forward to seeing how that plays into the story. The addition of Patrick Stewart and Dame Judi Dench/Emma Thompson as seemingly new characters is exciting as well, all three being very distinguished actors that will bring a lot of prestige to the project.

Can't to hear more news and eventually see some images![/url]
candydog
Gold Classic Collection

Post by candydog »

lord-of-sith wrote:Some more casting rumors have surfaced, attached to some interesting characters! Fair warning, the article contains potential spoilers.

Thoughts on casting/characters (spoilers): The idea of Maleficent having a lover initially comes off as a bit odd, but if handled correctly, could actually be amazing. Imagine if in a jealous and selfish rage, she transformed him into the raven, that's just golden! Having King Stefan as half-fairy is interesting as well, I'm looking forward to seeing how that plays into the story. The addition of Patrick Stewart and Dame Judi Dench/Emma Thompson as seemingly new characters is exciting as well, all three being very distinguished actors that will bring a lot of prestige to the project.

Hmm.... well I imagine that they got the names wrong and that Patrick Stewart is supposed to play King Hubert rather than King Henry. And likewise, does it say that Emma Thompson and Judi Dench have been approached to play "flittle"? Could that be a typo? Have they perhaps been approached to play two of the three good fairies?

Although Angela Lansbury and Debbie Reynolds as Flora and Fauna would be perfect in my opinion.
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

candydog wrote:
lord-of-sith wrote:Some more casting rumors have surfaced, attached to some interesting characters! Fair warning, the article contains potential spoilers.

Hmm.... well I imagine that they got the names wrong and that Patrick Stewart is supposed to play King Hubert rather than King Henry. And likewise, does it say that Emma Thompson and Judi Dench have been approached to play "flittle"? Could that be a typo? Have they perhaps been approached to play two of the three good fairies?

Although Angela Lansbury and Debbie Reynolds as Flora and Fauna would be perfect in my opinion.
I'd love Angela Lansbury as Flora, Julie Andrews as Fauna and Debbie Reynolds as Merryweather.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

It's a shame this movie wasn't made in time for my ideal casting of Rue McClanahan (Flora), Betty White (Fauna), and Bea Arthur (Merryweather) to take place. White is still alive a working obviously, but her recent surge of fame would likely overshadow the role.
candydog
Gold Classic Collection

Post by candydog »

lord-of-sith wrote:It's a shame this movie wasn't made in time for my ideal casting of Rue McClanahan (Flora), Betty White (Fauna), and Bea Arthur (Merryweather) to take place. White is still alive a working obviously, but her recent surge of fame would likely overshadow the role.
Interesting casting, although I'd probably have Arthur as Flora rather than Merryweather.

Betty White could still make a wonderful fauna and while yes, her recent "comeback" may overshadow the role, it does at least make her more likely to be cast.

Debbie Reynolds fits perfectly as pretty much any of the fairies in my opinion. I always thought her character in the Halloweentown movies was a lot like a mixture of the three.

Merryweather is in many ways the hardest to cast. She seems to be younger than the other two, and comical in more of a stubborn, feisty way, rather than a broad, giggly, almost bumbling kind of way, which is why many people's dream casting of Kathy Najimy never really fit for me.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well Maleficent seemed to want Phillip, and she did love that raven, so the possible changes to the story relevant to those points might fit okay.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

candydog wrote:Merryweather is in many ways the hardest to cast. She seems to be younger than the other two, and comical in more of a stubborn, feisty way, rather than a broad, giggly, almost bumbling kind of way, which is why many people's dream casting of Kathy Najimy never really fit for me.
Perhaps Kathy Bates? For some reason she just seems very Merryweather-ish to me. Say Dench is Flora and Thompson is Fauna, I could see that working fairly well.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I know they could be shrunk as fairies, but when playing the peasant women...you truly need short, small women. Kathy Bates is not that is she?
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Disney Duster wrote:I know they could be shrunk as fairies, but when playing the peasant women...you truly need short, small women. Kathy Bates is not that is she?
Her IMDB bio lists her as being 5'3", which I wouldn't consider to be very tall. She's not a thin woman by any means, but Merryweather is the biggest of the three fairies. She would likely look appropriate next to any of the actresses mentioned so far for the others.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I don't know how small those other women are either. The fairies in the film are very small.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

film can edit the size of the actor/actress to appropriate height. LotR did the very well with Gimli and the hobbits.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yea that's true. They kind of are like Hobbits aren't they? :P
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

Also look at Captain America. Amazing CGI skills unbuffing the actor. To the extent it tptally fooled me. I hadnt read anything of the movie and assumed they had two actors who looked very alike.
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

And Alice in Wonderland! There was loads of size adjustment in that movie.

The names mentioned for the Good Fairies (some where above) would make great castings! I really hope Disney hires older actresses to play them! I think Angela Lansbury, Julie Andrews would be great names.
I would love some one like Emma Stone to play Aurora, I think she would be a far more appealing choice than Fanning who seems far to young to play Princess Aurora!
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney