The Universe has stomped on me thread. Rant or clear the air

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Thanks guys. Right now I feel much better and believe that things will be fine. All signs point to being a simple thing that can be solved with treatment. I am still worried, but not overly heartbroken like I was before. The worst thing is that both mom and my sister found out that I was crying... I really didn't want them to know that, because now they will likely scold me for being silly or say that I blew it out of proportion. Guess I will have to explain that no matter what seing a loved one being taken away on an ambulance is never an easy sight to tolerate and that I have been worried all this time but kept it to myself to give faith to others.
ImageImageImageImage

blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

You shouldn't feel ashamed for crying at all. When my dad got taken away in an ambulance one time, I cried. I mean, as you said, it's not easy to see someone you care about being taken away, not knowing their fate! It's totally okay to cry, and I hope your family can understand that.
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

Don't worry, pap.

You weren't being silly. I can imagine how awful your experience must have been, as my Father had kidney failure several years ago. He didn't die, but there were times when I feared he might. :(

I wish you all the best. Image
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Good news! My dad is recovering greatly! What happened was that this morning my dad was bloated because he was retaining lots of water throughout his body, especially his lungs. When he was taken to the local hospital, they cleaned up all the excess water from his body, and when they took him to the out of town hospital they cleaned out the rest of it, leaving him completely clean and making it easier to breathe for him. They are still doing lots of tests on him just in case it is something else causing all of it, but all signs lead to him being home in the morning/afternoon should nothing between now and then happen.
ImageImageImageImage

blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Yay! I'm so glad he's doing better! I'll still be thinking of you all and praying that he'll continue recovering well.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yea I'm glad he's a looot better than it sounded, too! But I'll also keep praying! And don't let anyone scold you not to cry! You know it's okay. : )
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Well, just talked to my mom now. She said that apparently what happened to dad early in the morning was a heart attack due to not being able to breathe. But mom sounded so worried and scared it brought me back to my own state of worry and I don't even know what to believe anymore. My nephew said that my dad was doing fine when he last saw him, his voice was clear and all the excess water on him was cleared. What mom told me now is that tomorrow they are checking his chest and heart to see if there was some damage done. Apparently my sister went through this last year and it isn't a big deal since dad was treated early, but...

I am so upset and so worried, and just when I thought things were looking good. I don't know what to believe in, who to believe and what is even going on. I am going to see him tomorrow, but I doubt I will be able to sleep knowing that I could get bad news in the middle of the night.

I am back to being scared...
ImageImageImageImage

Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

Hang in there, pap.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yea hang in there. It's okay to be scared, it means you care. Just don't work yourself up about it more than you have to. Things could be okay. Hope they are.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Just came back from the hospital. I can confirm that dad is on his way to full recovery :) . Turns out mom wasn't being clear last night and she meant to say that what happened in the morning as a weak to mild heart attack that caused him to be filled with water and be short on oxygen, but they estabilized him once they got to the hospital. Today we went to see him and he was fine. He was speaking clearly and his heart and blood pressure were operating at a normal rate. They are still running tests on him, but they already discarded the possibilities of kidney failure, and it looks like it all might have been blood pressure issues.

Thanks everyone for the support, we are still not out of the over just yet but it seems to be going just fine. :)
ImageImageImageImage

Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Whew! Well that's really, really good! :)
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Pap, so glad to hear things are looking up! You've been in my thoughts and prayers. :)

I'm in Urgent Care right now, waiting for the doctor in the exam room. I've had severe stomach pains all week and I suspect it might be gall stones. I've been sitting here for over an hour now, in a lot of pain and feeling pretty anxious. Wish me luck everyone. :(
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

@enigmawing: Your medical issue sounds dreadful. :(

I wish you all the best.

@pap64: It's great to hear that your Dad is making a good recovery. :)
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

enigmawing: I feel your pain - or rather felt, literally. After having suffered through dozens of excruciating gall stones attacks over a two year period (thinking I could pass them out without surgery or simply not finding proper time to schedule a surgery), I finally had them removed last fall and I've been feeling great ever since. So don't put it off for as long as I did, it's really not worth the pain and sleepless nights - schedule an operation ASAP and get those buggers out. You'll be as good as new :).
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Disney Geek wrote:@enigmawing: Your medical issue sounds dreadful. :(

I wish you all the best.
Thanks! I'm back home now, armed with prescriptions and doing my best tp rest up and heal. :)
Mooky wrote:enigmawing: I feel your pain - or rather felt, literally. After having suffered through dozens of excruciating gall stones attacks over a two year period (thinking I could pass them out without surgery or simply not finding proper time to schedule a surgery), I finally had them removed last fall and I've been feeling great ever since. So don't put it off for as long as I did, it's really not worth the pain and sleepless nights - schedule an operation ASAP and get those buggers out. You'll be as good as new :).
Wow, sorry to hear you had to suffer through those attacks for two years!

We looked up all my symptoms and was pretty sure that was my issue, especially with knowing my family history (both of my parents had to have theirs taken out when they weren't much older than me). Was totally wrong though! The doctor told me I have a really bad case of gastritis, and that guessing it was gall stones totally wasn't an overreaction due to the amount of pain I've been in. Basically my stomach lining got really irritated and actually swelled up. I'm on Tylenol with codeine for the pain was given a few other prescriptions to help. I'm still in a lot of pain but at least it's tolerable now, and it sounds like I should be feeling more normal in about a week. :)
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Karen, very happy to know that you are doing much better now, but sorry to hear you went through a lot of pain prior to getting treated.

And thanks guys for all the good thoughts, prayers and wishes. We were lucky to get an amazing hospital staff that is still taking care of him. We still need one more test to see if his heart received damage and begin treatment based on the results, but I have faith that little to no damage will be found :) .
ImageImageImageImage

Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

@enigmawing: It's great to hear that you didn't have gallstones. I hope the gastritis stops when it's supposed to.Image

@Mooky: I'm sorry to hear that you went through all that pain.Image

@pap64: I hope the test doesn't reveal any damage, which I'm sure it won't. :)
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

enigmawing wrote:Wow, sorry to hear you had to suffer through those attacks for two years!
Well, it wasn't that bad at first, and I was able to effectively avoid the pain by taking care of what I was eating (greasy and spicy food were a big no-no), or, in case I did eat something I shouldn't have, subdue the pain with painkillers or anti-spasms meds. However, it got progressively worse over time to the point where not even a triple-dose of medications was able to ease the pain (the only thing it did was irritate my stomach further) and I'd be rolling on the floor with pain for hours. And after a particularly agonizing 'episode' back in September, I finally decided that enough's enough.
enigmawing wrote:We looked up all my symptoms and was pretty sure that was my issue, especially with knowing my family history (both of my parents had to have theirs taken out when they weren't much older than me). Was totally wrong though! The doctor told me I have a really bad case of gastritis, and that guessing it was gall stones totally wasn't an overreaction due to the amount of pain I've been in. Basically my stomach lining got really irritated and actually swelled up. I'm on Tylenol with codeine for the pain was given a few other prescriptions to help. I'm still in a lot of pain but at least it's tolerable now, and it sounds like I should be feeling more normal in about a week. :)
Whew! That's a major relief, though I can imagine it wasn't an easy time :(. But that is some seriously great news, I'm really happy for you. Here's to a speedy recovery! :pink:

Btw, I'm sure your doctor prescribed you some good medications, but if you're looking for some homeopathic/natural remedies, quince and cranberry juice are great for stomach/liver problems and mucosa regeneration.
Disney Geel wrote:@Mooky: I'm sorry to hear that you went through all that pain.Image
Thank you for the kind words :). Like I said in my previous post, thankfully I'm feeling great now.

pap, I forgot to say this before, but I'll be keeping you and your father in my thoughts. I myself went through something similar with my dad, so I know how you must have felt in that kind of situation. I have hope that everything will be alright and back to normal soon.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Pap, DisneyGeek, Mooky . . . Thanks! It got pretty scary. I'm still really sore and am having trouble getting around but each day gets progressively better. I've been spending a lot of time in bed, like now (gotta love laptops)! Wish I could say it's been awesome having some time to myself for rest but I've gotten so bored, lol. I'm also still being extremely careful about what I eat and how much, which hasn't been much of an issue since I'm still waiting for my appetite to come back.

Oh, and Mooky, sounds good about the cranberry juice! I drink it pretty regularly for other health benefits, but lately I've been having whole cranberries instead (I keep them frozen and blend them into smoothies). I'd like to get back to the juice as well, but they don't carry straight, non-cocktail versions at my usual grocery stores and I have to go out of my way to find any. I'm not familiar with quince though, can you tell me more about that? :)

I was a bit scared since I've been actively trying to get pregnant and when I started having these pains, I began reading that gall stones are relatively common in pregnancy! It got me all worried about the possibility of going through dealing with gall stones while pregnant, or having to worry about not taking pain meds or having to put off any potential surgery for several months. I expressed my concerns with the doctor and he tested me; found out I'm not pregnant regardless (it was a few days too early to take a home test) so it was one less thing to worry about. And I really can't complain because I won't have to have surgery regardless! Perhaps this is yet another reminder for me that I need to eat right. I decided to start eating healthier again earlier this month and was initially frustrated that my big payoff seemed to be the stomach pain, and even read that gall stones are common in people that are quickly losing weight (I've lost 8 pounds in the past three weeks) and Rey suggested that maybe I needed to ease up on the healthy eating. Oy, so much to think through, but now that I've seen the doctor and have figured out what's actually going on I've had so much less to worry about! :)

Whew! So glad I have insurance now, lol. Spent how many years of living in fear of being diagnosed with something expensive . . . sigh . . . avoiding the doctor when something's wrong due to being worried about money really isn't a way to live. :(

Once again, I'm glad you got through your ordeal okay. I haven't had surgery since I was two and the idea of it seems pretty scary to me, so I can understand wanting to put it off. But of course you were better off once you bit the bullet and went through it! I guess we all live and learn. :)
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

@Mooky: It's great to hear that you've made a full recovery. It just goes to show that you shouldn't be afraid to deal with a medical problem if it's worrying you and making you feel miserable.

@enigmawing: Good on you for doing all you can to lessen the risk of problems. :)