Disney movies on television regularly

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Disney movies on television regularly

Post by tsom »

I'm currently watching the television premiere of The Princess and the Frog on Disney Channel, and Tangled Ever After is coming on right afterwards. Although I'm loving this airing, I wonder isn't it too soon? I remember a decade ago, one would have to wait about 5 years before seeing a new movie on television. Now it seems like movies premiere on TV instantly. Why is that? Enchanted, Up, and even Hairspray premiered on television in less than 3 years after their screen debuts.

Also, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs, Aladdin, Bambi, and even Pinocchio come on TV all the time. The classic Disney movies hardly came on TV, but just today (3/23/12) Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and Toy Story were all on television. Did something change? I predict by 2014, Tangled, Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Toy Story 3, and Lady and the Tramp will be on television regularly. But, I'm not complaining!
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

For Disney's movies, the progression is as follows: six months on pay-per-view (starting at the same time as the DVD release), a year on Starz, another year on Encore, and then they start showing on basic cable channels. Has anything changed? They probably realized there was more money to be made under the current model than waiting forever to show the movies on TV. And you're probably right about Tangled and TS3.
sweetcake

Post by sweetcake »

Lucky ! Over here we just get Beauty and the Beast, Toy Story, Princess and the Frog, Dumbo and Enchanted over and over again.

It would be nice to see Aladdin, Snow White, Lion King and Pinocchio on TV. But most of the time we just get cheap made just for the channel movies. If it's Disney; it's always the ones written above.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

We don't get Dumbo here, at least not that I'm aware of. I've only seen it on television once and that was about 15 years ago!

Lion King just came on again today. Not that I am complaining, but it kind of takes away the "specialness" of the classics, you know?
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Well.... after Lilo & Stitch's theatrical release in 2002, the movie was first shown on TV about a year later via ABC on the Wonderful World of Disney. Princess and the Frog, however, took about less than three years to be broadcasted on TV.
Heartless
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heartless »

tsom wrote:Lion King just came on again today. Not that I am complaining, but it kind of takes away the "specialness" of the classics, you know?
That's what I don't get... If Disney wants to have a vault system for their home entertainment, why on earth would they make the films readily available to be viewed on cable TV?
"Good and bad are labels created by people. Nature doesn't have such concepts."
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

In the U.K on Disney Cinemagic we always get
-Dumbo
-Black Cauldron
-Toy Story 3
- The Aladdin sequels.
- All the other crappy sequels.

Movies that are coming up more frequent.
-Tarzan
-Tangled
-Treasure Planet
-TPatF
-The Incredible's
- Monsters Inc
- The Emperor's nen Groove

The have been playing the Lion King Triology .... backwards :lol:
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
oldtimer12347

Re: Disney movies on television regularly

Post by oldtimer12347 »

tsom wrote:I'm currently watching the television premiere of The Princess and the Frog on Disney Channel, and Tangled Ever After is coming on right afterwards. Although I'm loving this airing, I wonder isn't it too soon? I remember a decade ago, one would have to wait about 5 years before seeing a new movie on television. Now it seems like movies premiere on TV instantly. Why is that? Enchanted, Up, and even Hairspray premiered on television in less than 3 years after their screen debuts.

Also, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs, Aladdin, Bambi, and even Pinocchio come on TV all the time. The classic Disney movies hardly came on TV, but just today (3/23/12) Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and Toy Story were all on television. Did something change? I predict by 2014, Tangled, Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Toy Story 3, and Lady and the Tramp will be on television regularly. But, I'm not complaining!

I've seen this change within the past couple years or so, but personally I think it's a good thing considering all the junk that floods the Disney Channels (at least in my opinion, though America's Disney Junior just started and shows like Timon and Pumbaa and Lilo and Stitch air in the 4:30AM-7AM range to those who have the channel and are interested). If they can't make a retro disney channel or block (even though the latter is a more feasible option for disney), then the least they could do is air these movies time to time on one of the Disney Channels, and that's what they've been doing, so I'm glad. The one and only other thing I ask for one of the Disney Channels (and at this point it will most likely be Disney Junior) to air are the full classic shorts, even if using a repackaged series like Mickey Mouse Tracks or Donald Duck Presents, but that's a complaint for another time/thread.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Just noticed that Bambi is gonna be on Disney Jr tomorrow night (4/6) at 6 PM.
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

carolinakid wrote:Just noticed that Bambi is gonna be on Disney Jr tomorrow night (4/6) at 6 PM.
Oh, the poor kids! :lol: Bambi losing his mother and scary dogs tearing through the forest.
Owlzindabarn
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Owlzindabarn »

Oh, their fragile little minds; what's a parent to do? Take them to detox at Mommy & Me?
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

I honestly found Ray's death sadder than the deaths of Bambi's mom and Mufasa combined.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Heartless wrote:
tsom wrote:Lion King just came on again today. Not that I am complaining, but it kind of takes away the "specialness" of the classics, you know?
That's what I don't get... If Disney wants to have a vault system for their home entertainment, why on earth would they make the films readily available to be viewed on cable TV?
The Vault has long become obsolete. When a movie goes back into the "Vault", it's still widely available on video, TV, and online.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Mary Poppins will be on ABC Family Saturday and Sunday.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Sky Syndrome wrote:
carolinakid wrote:Just noticed that Bambi is gonna be on Disney Jr tomorrow night (4/6) at 6 PM.
Oh, the poor kids! :lol: Bambi losing his mother and scary dogs tearing through the forest.
I hope they put a warning before it that the film contains scenes that may be too scary for like, children under 5 or 6 or something. I actually don't think Bambi is good for "young kid's movie" at all, people just think it is because it has cute animals.
tsom wrote:I honestly found Ray's death sadder than the deaths of Bambi's mom and Mufasa combined.
Ouch! lol Well...I don't think it was, especially because of the kind of character Ray was, but it certainly was sad.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Dumbo is on Disney Jr tonight at 6 PM. But you have to add a few minutes to your DVR if you want to record it. I learned that the hard way with Bambi which cut off before the film ended. I HATE when networks do that!
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Ahh, I missed it! Way too many good movies on today. Hopefully they'll air it again tomorrow?
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

Just checked & it's scheduled for 6pm tomorrow on Disney Jr. (Easter). I love the Comcast remote for digital which lets you check about a week in advance. Too bad we only have Disney available in High Def. XD & Jr. are only standard definition.
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Thank you!! I've only seen Dumbo once and I was like 5. I have Time Warner Digital Cable and can check about a week in advance as well, but I was just too lazy to be perfectly honest. Thanks for checking for me though! :-)
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Hallmark Channel has been showing a lot of the live action classics this weekend.