John Carter

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Somebody really needs to modify this film's poster and put my name on it.

Then it'll start makin' money. :twisted:
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I finally saw John Carter yesterday- it was amazing. I had pretty high expectations, and it surpassed them! I really want them to make sequel(s)!

I saw it in 3D (only because there was less of a wait for that one), and the effects weren't the stuff-coming-at-you effects, but the depth of the environments was great.

Oh, and at the very end, it said John Carter of Mars...I squeed with joy at that. I wonder why they had the end title card with that title and not the whole movie, but I was glad to see it!
jazzflower92 wrote:I mean what would have happened if Disney made this movie an animated movie instead of live action.
To the movie's credit, it did have a heck of a lot of (CG) animation.

I think that it was good on Disney to release the White Apes clip and the 10-minute clip that they released. I had already been excited to see the film, but those made me even more so. So, while the rest of the marketing could have been better, I say kudos to Disney for releasing the clips.

I didn't know that The Sorcerer's Apprentice was supposed to start a franchise (and I liked that movie, too), but John Carter is from an existing world with lots of stories to tell. *Sigh* Maybe it will find a larger fanbase when it hits DVD and Blu-ray...?
The article that Milo posted wrote:One industry veteran said the fundamental problem with "John Carter" had less to do with budget than with cognitive dissonance: The action plays out on Mars (known as Barsoom in the books and the film), a planet that contemporary audiences know is barren and uninhabited. That creates a formidable, elephant-in-the-room challenge for the movie's marketers.

"You're not able to sell that," noted the industry insider, who asked not to be quoted commenting on someone else's film.
That makes no sense. There have been so many space movies, and "rules" like "the planet is barren" have been "broken" in the past. Whatever. :/

And if anyone is iffy on seeing John Carter because they didn't like Prince of Persia, I didn't like PoP, but I was still interested in John Carter...I can't explain it...but it was really wonderful, IMO.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wir ... 2ednNVKRko
ABC News wrote:"John Carter" is now officially a flop of galactic proportions.

The Walt Disney Co. said Monday that it expects to book a loss of $200 million on the movie in the quarter through March.

That'll cause Disney's movie studio to post a loss of $80 million to $120 million for the quarter.

The movie, about a Civil War veteran who is transplanted to Mars, has brought in about $184 million in ticket sales worldwide.

But its production budget is estimated to be about $250 million with an estimated $100 million more spent on marketing.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

where did that marketing money go, really, when the fan trailers are better?
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wir ... 2ednNVKRko
ABC News wrote:"John Carter" is now officially a flop of galactic proportions.

The Walt Disney Co. said Monday that it expects to book a loss of $200 million on the movie in the quarter through March.

That'll cause Disney's movie studio to post a loss of $80 million to $120 million for the quarter.

The movie, about a Civil War veteran who is transplanted to Mars, has brought in about $184 million in ticket sales worldwide.

But its production budget is estimated to be about $250 million with an estimated $100 million more spent on marketing.
That's their OWN fault. :evil:
blackcauldron85

Do you think that there's a chance that the DVD and Blu-ray sales and rentals could end up making up for the lackluster box office? Or won't Disney pay attention to that, even if that ends up happening?? :(
FlyingPiggy
Limited Issue

Post by FlyingPiggy »

200 Million?! Is that more or less then Mars Needs Moms?

Wonder what's gonna happen to Andrew Stanton. Back to Pixar?
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

They can't so quickly say that Pixar directors can't do live-action, since Mission in Possible III did very well.

They really need to overhaul Disney marketing, since they have a history of botching and over-influencing production of certain features for too long.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

What are the odds of The Walt Disney Company going bankrupt?
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

The article I read on Yahoo this morning made me sick. Why would Disney declare their own movie a 'flop' 10 days after it comes out? This is Prince Caspian all over again. I realize that true fans of the book have already seen the movie and the numbers are doomed to decline from here - but WHY make it an official announcement to kill any chances of people still giving it a shot? SMH.

I am going to see it again tonight in IMAX 3D.
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Julian Carter wrote:What are the odds of The Walt Disney Company going bankrupt?
I would say that it's quite unlikely. It's not like in the 30s and 40s when the Disney company was only a small-ish independent production company with a fairly narrow output and no other means of supporting themselves but with only one animated feature a year at most and a couple of shorts thrown in for good measure. Not only is Disney today a film studio, but the owner of one of the big American TV networks (ABC) and the operator of the most profitable and popular theme parks in the world. Moreover, there is a constant slew of successful merchandise, plus a highly self-sustaining back catalogue of films that will sell millions every time they are released on DVD or Blu-Ray. If anything, the failure of John Carter should probably serve as a sign to get rid of the current marketing team and to stop making every film a blockbuster gamble-type film. Hopefully we'll also soon go back to having film posters read "Walt Disney Pictures Presents/Disney Presents/Disney's" as opposed to the generic, brand-like "Disney" label, but something tells me to not count on it. :roll:
kbehm29 wrote:The article I read on Yahoo this morning made me sick. Why would Disney declare their own movie a 'flop' 10 days after it comes out? This is Prince Caspian all over again.
Let's not forget Treasure Planet in 2002. Was it three days with that film? :lol: :roll:
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I think that 80% of the blame for the failure of John Carter is the way that Disney's marketing department presented their advertising campaign. There is ways to present this film to the public that Disney missed. They didn't have any pre-opening action figures on the market, in any form. They didn't have any promotions on ABC about the movie that didn't make it look like "Prince of Persia II".

To only give this film 10 days of US release and then bailing out on it, doesn't speak well of the suits at Disney.

This movie, even with its continuity faults, is fabulous. I have paid to see it twice in IMAX 3-D, twice in regular 3-D and twice in 2-D. I will be amont the first to buy this movie when it comes to Blu-ray. It is that good. I would put up there with my favorite movie "Avatar" with it's Watch-a-bility. I watch "Avatar" Director's Edition at least once a week, and probably would match that "John Carter".
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

Saw it again last night, this time in 3D and with my 9 and 7-yr-old sons. I liked it even more this time! Theater was almost empty, unfortunately.
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I hope this news means that we won't have to wait an extended period of time to get it out on Blu-ray. I know that everyone I have talked to after showings in the theater have all said "this one is at the top of my 'must have' list".

Let's hope that Disney is as quick to get this out on DVD and Blu-ray as they were to write it off, when it was mostly their own fault that the movie failed.

I just hope we don't have to wait until Christmas for it.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

I hope that Disney recalls that Pirates of the Carribean wasn't the world's biggest hit when it came out either. It was big on home video then the sequel went on to make over a billion dollars worldwide.

Disney dismisses their own films too fast. John Carter was a great movie and I think they should be proud of it and support it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Julian Carter wrote:What are the odds of The Walt Disney Company going bankrupt?
Zero.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Maerj wrote:I hope that Disney recalls that Pirates of the Carribean wasn't the world's biggest hit when it came out either. It was big on home video then the sequel went on to make over a billion dollars worldwide.
While I agree that films shouldn't be written off within five seconds of their opening, didn't Pirates of the Caribbean make over $300 million at the US box office alone? :scratch:
blackcauldron85

Opening weekend of PotC:TCotBP was $46,630,690. JC's was $30,180,188.

Around-the-World Roundup: 'John Carter' Leads Again Overseas
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3397&p=.htm

Worldwide, JC has made $181,639,194 so far. So, I mean, Disney just needs to give it time...especially with DVD/Blu-ray, it will hit the $350 million mark to cover its expenses.

*edit*

John Carter a flop .. or is it?
http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... is-it.html

*edit*

Video: Director Andrew Stanton Talks About John Carter
http://www.laughingplace.com/Latest-ID-79651.asp

Video: New Clip and poster for John Carter Featuring Woola
http://www.laughingplace.com/Latest-ID-79638.asp
Dream Huntress
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Dream Huntress »

None.
Maerj wrote:I hope that Disney recalls that Pirates of the Carribean wasn't the world's biggest hit when it came out either. It was big on home video then the sequel went on to make over a billion dollars worldwide.
The movie opened to a strong box office result, this after everybody had written it off as a very likely flop before it was even released, mostly due the bad record of pirate movies, and the box office failures of Disney's movies based on their park rides. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl became the 4th highest grossing movie of 2003, why on Earth do you think it has three sequels?
blackcauldron85 wrote: Worldwide, JC has made $181,639,194 so far. So, I mean, Disney just needs to give it time...especially with DVD/Blu-ray, it will hit the $350 million mark to cover its expenses.
All things considered, it has to make between $500 million worlwide to break even, $600 million to be considered profitable.

Though I do actually think most of the money will come from overseas, apparently the movie was a big hit on Europe.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Well, I finally got around to seeing this two days ago and let me tell you this.

It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't anything to write home about either. The story, graphics and whatnot were entertaining, but throughout the entire movie, I had that 'You've seen one sci-fi/action-adventure film, you've seen them all' kind of attitude. I don't know why I wasn't captivated by this movie. Maybe it was because my interest in Disney's live-action adventure films has fizzled or something after the release of On Stranger Tides.

By the way, I did like the dog-lizard-alien thing that followed John around for some reason. I can only hope this movie breaks even, even if that's wishful thinking.