The Little Mermaid on Broadway

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Post by CampbellzSoup »

I can't wait to hear some of the songs.

You know as I watch The Little Mermaid and other Disney flicks I personally feel that we were robbed of a classy rendition of one of the films songs.

The Lion King
Hercules
Aladdin
Beauty and the Beast

They all got more adult contemporary renditions of a song at the end of their film. Stupid rant but I was hoping with this musical we could get a rendition of a song that sounds like the credit versions of beauty and the beast or aladdin.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

CampbellzSoup wrote:I was hoping with this musical we could get a rendition of a song that sounds like the credit versions of beauty and the beast or aladdin.
Yea but...did the Broadway musicals of any of Disney films you mentioned have songs like that in them?
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Technically, it was a flop because I don't think it recouped. But it wasn't a bomb. It got mixed reviews. A lot of people loved it, a lot of people hated it, and a lot of people were in-between.
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Post by CampbellzSoup »

Disney Duster wrote:
CampbellzSoup wrote:I was hoping with this musical we could get a rendition of a song that sounds like the credit versions of beauty and the beast or aladdin.
Yea but...did the Broadway musicals of any of Disney films you mentioned have songs like that in them?
Eh while it is a nice rendition it's not like the other two.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

@ tsom: That's what I've always thought as well. I had always got the impression that the film did well as far as getting people to come, just that the show cost so much to produce and/or put on every night that they couldn't recoup the cost.

@ CampbellzSoup: I've always wanted a pop rendition of "Part of That World" in the vein of "A Whole New World" and "Beauty and the Beast," too. I think what Duster is saying though, is that they usually don't have those in the musical versions of the films.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Disney's Divinity wrote:That's what I've always thought as well. I had always got the impression that the film did well as far as getting people to come, just that the show cost so much to produce and/or put on every night that they couldn't recoup the cost.
The film did way better than that!!!! I think you meant to say "show" instead? ;)
Disney's Divinity wrote:I think what Duster is saying though, is that they usually don't have those in the musical versions of the films.
Yep.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Disney's Divinity, that's exactly how I understood it as well.

Duster, I think he meant the film was a tool to get people to see the show in the first place.

Honestly, the show wasn't that bad. I've never seen it live, but people were dramatic at how "bad" it was. I saw it online and it was pretty cool. I think people went in expecting to see the movie on stage. Even Beauty and the Beast got mixed feelings when it first came out. I think the new songs were amazing!
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

They've found the Dutch Ariel! Tessa Sunniva van Tol will play the main character.

http://www.musicals.nl/the-little-mermaid-cast.asp

Here are some of here old performances:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbbuBdNGN_w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF5Au-9KGKw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=739OiXQXSeY
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Interesting choice. I thought for sure they were gonna go with an established actress like Chantal Janzen or Céline Purcell.

She has the face and she seems to be pretty good vocally in those videos. I'm sure she's grown as a singer in the last 5 years.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

She seems good...I will await further judgement, but for now I will say she's gotta learn to sing better and really get her voice to lift. It sounds like it's a little stuck deep in her throat or her nose, it's not really getting out there and soaring. And it needs to. Because Ariel's supposed to have the most beautiful voice ever.
Roosdisney

Post by Roosdisney »

I think Tommie and Tessa are very cute together. Don't you think? I can't wait to see this musical. The other castmembers (Robberto de Groot - Thriton and Marjolein Touw - Ursela) are also great.

Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

I got front row tickets for July 5th's show...can't wait.

I saw the Broadway one in 2009 and loved it. Cast was aso very kind after the show.
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

Some new designs. I really like the third one!
https://twitter.com/#!/MusicalReports/s ... to/1/large
https://twitter.com/#!/MusicalReports/s ... 76/photo/1
https://twitter.com/#!/MusicalReports/s ... 92/photo/1
https://twitter.com/#!/MusicalReports/s ... 72/photo/1

Also, I've read somewhere they want it to look like a large 'pop-up' book. That should be interesting..
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Does anyone know if they're planning on releasing a cast recording?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Sotiris wrote:Does anyone know if they're planning on releasing a cast recording?
Most likely. But of course it will be in Dutch.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Thanks for the pictures! Looks interesting!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

PatrickvD wrote:But of course it will be in Dutch.
I don't care. As long as they release one. I want to listen to the new songs.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Same. I wonder--if this is a success--if Disney would ever consider re-doing TLM for Broadway? Doubt it, but I hate to think TLM would never have another chance at it.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

I have a feeling TLM will get a revival on Broadway someday! I'm thinking 10-20 years down the road. It had great potential and it has wonderful material, but the execution was all wrong. Just needs a director with a great vision and new book writer.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

tsom wrote:I have a feeling TLM will get a revival on Broadway someday! I'm thinking 10-20 years down the road. It had great potential and it has wonderful material, but the execution was all wrong. Just needs a director with a great vision and new book writer.
Or maybe try out for West End in London.