The Muppets (2011)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

milojthatch wrote:
pap64 wrote:I got a similar response when I posted the video on my Facebook page, and my answer is that people are taking this was too seriously. The original claims made by Fox News were stupid, but I saw this as being a silly jab at the uproar all of this caused. Miss Piggy said it best at the end... "If you take what I said seriously then you are in big trouble". This isn't meant to be taken seriously, it is all just a silly comment. Considering all the bad jabs South Park and The Simpsons have made towards Fox News, this is rather tame.
Bingo! People take things too seriously sometimes. I think the 24/ 7 "news" networks (to be fair to Fox, CNN and MSNBC are not much better) have people twisted too tightly. They see Communist and Fascists in their soup. Relax people. Sometimes a rose is just a rose.

"The Muppets" were about having fun and being silly and entertaining. There were tons of cliches in the film for the sake of nostalgia. And honestly, corporate tycoons and oil barrens are normally cast as the villain in children's film because of the stereotype (for good reason, pick up a news paper) that they are selfish (a typical trait for a villain), greedy (also a typical trait for a villain) and heartless. Yes, most times these traits are exaggerated, and not all business persons are actually like this, but that is what movies do, they exaggerate.

I say Fox was out of line here. Clearly, in a era with the nation facing staggering unemployment rates, wars, rumors of wars, homelessness, childhood obesity, a looming national debt, and all other manner of human catastrophic events unfolding, for them to spend anytime attacking a children's movie, let alone one based on cherished characters as the Muppets, shows that they seriously need to get their priorities straight, and further puts to question their validity as news. And that is what I'll say about that.

Now, back to the upcoming Blu-ray and DVD releases! You know, real news.
You took the words right out of my mouth, dude.

I have not seen the movie because when it premiered, it lasted for only two weeks (to show you how bad it was, Jack and Jill stayed on for a longer time than The Muppets). But I have seen enough clips, read the story and taken into account the recommendations of my friends that have seen it to know that the movie is pure, classic Muppet fun. And it's something that the Muppets needed to do, really.

I mean, the last movie they made was "Muppets in Space", a movie that tried too hard to modernize the Muppets as well as try to answer what Gonzo is. Those two things showed that they wanted to present the Muppets through gimmicks, not solid humor and story. Then the TV movies didn't help, with humor that was perhaps too dark and edgy for the Muppets. Then came Muppets Wizard of Oz and I am surprised the Muppets are still around after that one. The movie was not only a huge gimmick the humor made them seem uncool to the eyes of some.

The Muppets is the right kind of movie for them to be in. It is a simple "Let's get the band back together and put on a show" story mixed with a road trip mentality and some endearing new characters. People might criticize the movie for not being groundbreaking, but if they did that, we would have gotten another Muppets in Space. It's a movie that reminds me why we fell in love with the Muppets in the first place, and why we go to the movies to begin with.

It's a shame that people are taking them TOO seriously. The world definitely needs to learn to lighten up and just have fun. Even with the bad things happening there is still a lot of things to look forward to, a lot of things to laugh about and just have fun. Once again, Miss Piggy nailed it at the end. If we take this to seriously we are indeed in big problem.
ImageImageImageImage

DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Amazon has dropped the Muppets Wocka Wocka Value Pack to $29.99. With the coupon they offered earlier it makes it $24.99.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

DarthPrime wrote:Amazon has dropped the Muppets Wocka Wocka Value Pack to $29.99. With the coupon they offered earlier it makes it $24.99.
Sweet! I used a gift certificate, too, so it's down to $19.94 for me :D
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

For those interested in Steelbook and collectible packaging - The Muppets will be getting one in Future Shop Canada.

http://community.futureshop.ca/t5/Movie ... m-p/338187
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

That looks nice! I wonder if Best Buy will get this steelbook too?
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Katherine Heigel the Newest Muppet Star, Plus No Muppet Song at Oscars?
http://animatedviews.com/2012/katherine ... at-oscars/

Oscars Won’t Perform Both Nominated Songs From ‘Rio’ Or ‘Muppets’
http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/exclusi ... ted-songs/
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

There's only 2 songs. Why the hell not?
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

If they do not perform, the Oscars really have become pathetic ....
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Has there been any news on the other Muppet movies getting a Blu-ray release? I remember reading, when this was first announced, that a large Muppet box set was also in the works. Was that just a rumor, or has it been delayed/cancelled?

I've thought about picking some of the others up on DVD (after getting Manhattan and Space on Blu-ray last week), but if a Blu-ray release is coming I'll wait.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

IIRC Manhattan and Space are the two movies that Disney does not own, so I'd imagine if they were to release a box set it would include all the movies except for those two.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

St.GeorgeMickeyMouseFlynn wrote:But the main villain being an oil man was cliched. Why must a businessman always be evil?
Because they are. :P The villain was not an honest, small-time businessman but a tycoon who is unethical, only cares about profit, and screws the little guy in the process. This type of conduct among big corporations and the heads who run it, is quite typical of the contemporary corporate world.

Fox News deserved every bit of mockery and backlash they received.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

The villain was extremely effective. I haven't seen the movie since November, and I almost never have nightmares, but none other than the villain from The Muppets was in my nightmare the other night. I was in my childhood driveway, and had a box (?) and ran to my best friend's house up the street, and the villain and I think Bobo and Uncle Deadly (unless they were other henchmen in my dream)...and they were going to chase me. Totally creepy dream.

So, yeah, I think he's an effective villain. :p
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

I don't think any Muppet villain could ever reach the effectiveness of Doc Hopper. He ended up going to extreme lengths to make Kermit a spokesperson for something he knew Kermit would find offensive...even following him cross country, threatening death, kidnapping his friends, and attempted brainwashing. I didn't find the other Muppet film villains all that effective although I did enjoy Nicky Holiday.
jediliz
Special Edition

Post by jediliz »

zackisthewalrus wrote:There's only 2 songs. Why the hell not?
well,m there goes my ONLY reason to watch Sunday night! Guess I'll just watch Once Upon a Time on Hulu Plus instead....

I hope 'Man or Muppet' wins, though. And I am definitely buying the movie...even though the one edition comes with the soundtrack...which I already own on CD (wanted that 50 DMR points ;)
Disney Channel died when they stopped airing movies with Haley mills (Parent Trap and Pollyanna) and fun adventure movies like Swiss Family Robinson. R.I.P. the REAL Disney Channel. Date of Death: When the shows became teenie bopperish.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

SWillie! wrote:For those interested in Steelbook and collectible packaging - The Muppets will be getting one in Future Shop Canada.

http://community.futureshop.ca/t5/Movie ... m-p/338187
Best Buy is getting this as a preorder case ($7.50 preorder). I've read on Blu-ray.com's forums that its supposed to be out March 4th.
blackcauldron85

And the Oscar Presented By The Muppets Goes To…
http://animatedviews.com/2012/and-the-o ... s-goes-to/
Polizzi
Special Edition

Post by Polizzi »

The Muppets won the Academy Award for Best Original Song, "Man or Muppet."
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Just when you though the Parody trailers were over, Disney decided to do one more for the DVD release:

http://www.toughpigs.com/hunger-games/
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
jinkinquackers
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jinkinquackers »

The Muppets Coupon is now live!

Available and good in the U.S.A., its territories and Canada only. Limit two printed coupons per computer. Void where prohibited, taxed or restricted by law. Coupon expires 3/25/11. While supplies last. See coupon for complete details. Redeemable at participating retailers. Coupons are not transferrable between countries.
Click the Link! :)

Prices:

Target:
DVD Only - $16.99
2-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack (includes DVD) + *Exclusive Sampler* - $22.99
3-Disc Blu-ray Combo Wocka Wocka Value Pack (includes DVD, Digital Copy & Soundtrack download) + *Exclusive Sampler* - $24.99 ($19.99 after coupon)

Only at Target: FREE The Muppet Show 6-episode sampler DVD when you buy The Muppets on Blu-ray. Items packaged together. Free offer quantities limited. No rain checks.

Best Buy:
DVD Only - $16.99
2-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack (includes DVD) - $22.99
3-Disc Blu-ray Combo Wocka Wocka Value Pack (includes DVD, Digital Copy & Soundtrack download) + *Collectible Lunch Box* (Best Buy Exclusive) - $27.99 ($22.99 after coupon)

Use $5 off The Muppets 3-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack coupon to save more!
Last edited by jinkinquackers on Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.