Planes (DisneyToon Studios)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Q: Allegedly, Planes is the first of three 'Planes' films. I've even read solid rumors that DisneyToon Studios could do Boats.

Bob Hilgenberg & Rob Muir: Yes, we heard that they were developing other films in the franchise, Boats and Trains. But, beyond seeing some visual development, we don’t know what, if any, of the films will be put into production. They may wait to see how well Planes performs.
Source: http://animatedviews.com/2012/bob-hilge ... animation/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Oh boy, you just know that Ellen DeGeneres will not be happy about this...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QLEp1nmZFr4" frameborder="0"></iframe>
ImageImageImageImage

DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Hahaah :lol: :lol: I love Ellen!

Is she interesting in reprising Dory? or it it a No Way kinda thing?
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

DisneyDude2010 wrote:Hahaah :lol: :lol: I love Ellen!

Is she interesting in reprising Dory? or it it a No Way kinda thing?
She really wants to do Finding Nemo 2 and reprise her role as Dory. I can't blame her, she was one of the highlights of the movie and she did seem to have a lot of fun recording her.
ImageImageImageImage

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Michael Crawford wrote:Disney announced yesterday that the first Pixar-derived direct-to-video project, the Cars spinoff Planes, has been pushed back to a Fall 2013 DVD and Blu-ray release. Could this have anything to do with rumors that Mr. Lasseter is pushing for a theatrical release for his spinoff? I don’t know. But work on a sequel is already underway.
Source: http://progresscityusa.com/2012/06/12/all-froze-up/
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

Sotiris wrote:
Disney announced yesterday that the first Pixar-derived direct-to-video project, the Cars spinoff Planes, has been pushed back to a Fall 2013 DVD and Blu-ray release. Could this have anything to do with rumors that Mr. Lasseter is pushing for a theatrical release for his spinoff? I don’t know. But work on a sequel is already underway.
I don't know if a theatrical release is a good idea. I have the feeling that this has the potential to confuse A LOT of average movie-goers that this is a Pixar film, which is good and bad, I guess. Good if it lives up to the quality, bad if it doesn't. Then again, most average, non-animation fan movie-goers might not even be able to tell the difference between a DreamWorks film and a Pixar film...

I can just hear the complaints now about how Pixar has fallen from grace and that they won't stop doing Cars sequels from people who have no idea what they're talking about. :roll:
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Sotiris wrote:
Disney announced yesterday that the first Pixar-derived direct-to-video project, the Cars spinoff Planes, has been pushed back to a Fall 2013 DVD and Blu-ray release. Could this have anything to do with rumors that Mr. Lasseter is pushing for a theatrical release for his spinoff? I don’t know. But work on a sequel is already underway.
I totally called it! 8)
Sotiris wrote:
Mooky wrote:Now who wants to bet they'll make this a theatrical release?
I do! 'Cause they won't :P :wink:
Bwahahahahaha, who's razzing and winking now, Sotiris?

I believe you own me some money :p.
"A typical ideologue of all things social justice for the sake of sounding smart and politically proper."

:bow:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Mooky wrote:Bwahahahahaha, who's razzing and winking now, Sotiris?

I believe you own me some money :p.
:lol: I will pay up when it's officially announced. :P
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Well, here's hoping it happens soon, I could really use some extra money :).
Mooky wrote:I believe you own me some money :p.
Gah, I hate when this happens; owe. :evil:
"A typical ideologue of all things social justice for the sake of sounding smart and politically proper."

:bow:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Storyboards for Planes by Robb Pratt.

Update: They have been removed by the artist.
Last edited by Sotiris on Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Thanks for posting!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Here's an interview Robb Pratt, a storyboard artist working on Planes.
Q: More recently though, you’ve been working with DisneyToon Studios. You’ve worked on Tarzan 2 and The Lion King 1 1/2, amongst others. And now you’re working on Planes, the direct-to-DVD Cars spin-off. How’s that been?

Robb Pratt: "PLANES" has been a pleasure to work on largely because of the support John Lasseter has shown for the production. "Cars" is clearly a passion project for him, and he is so excited about having that world expanded. My director, Klay Hall, is an inspiring guy to be around, so knowledgeable and a great collaborator. I've learned a lot from him! The story crew got to be very close - I truly like and respect everyone on our team. I'm very proud of how the movie is coming out!

Q: Presumably the pressure’s very high, to try and adapt and live up to Cars. To be compared to Pixar. How’d you feel Planes copes with this?

Robb Pratt: There is a lot riding on this! Pixar's work is the state of the art right now, and because we're working in their universe, we have to do our best to keep up, which is a true challenge. What makes this seemingly impossible task seem feasable is John Lasseter's involvement. From what I can tell, he's very engaged with it, screening the work-in-progress every couple months to give notes, and putting the right people on it to do the best job possible. He's brought in some animators who specialize in airplane movement, and so far he results have been outstanding!

Q: Can you tell us what your favourite part of Planes is? Which bits and characters do you think will be particularly well received?

Robb Pratt: The racing sequences are really coming together nicely. The sense of speed and being high up in the air is really beautiful and makes you feel like you're in the movie. There's a character called El Chupacabre that is charming and funny, so I hope that the audience loves him as much as I do!
Source: http://www.a113animation.com/2012/07/in ... board.html
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

You were right, Mooky! Do you take checks? :lol:
Walt Disney Pictures announced today that their upcoming animated film Planes will see a release theatrically on August 9, 2013.
Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=98312
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

It better be freaking life changing then....
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

This is odd since Jon Cryer seemed genuinely excited about this project at the D23 Expo.
Jon Cryer initially was announced as the lead voice star but is no longer involved. Disney is now looking for a new actor.
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... set-406123
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

PatrickvD wrote:It better be freaking life changing then....
Well, the Cars franchise is known to have that effect on people.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

*facepalm*

I knew it was a possibility, I just didn't expect it to actually happen. At least I can skip this guilt free, not being made by Pixar and all.

I'm sure I'll torrent or dvr it out of curiosity at some point, but no way would I see this in theaters.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

^just wait until the reviews before doing so. Lasster's involvement has raised the minimum quality standard for DisneyToon.
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

All John Lasseter needs is a whole lot of fat to go to his neck and he'll have fully transformed into George Lucas.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

ajmrowland wrote:^just wait until the reviews before doing so. Lasster's involvement has raised the minimum quality standard for DisneyToon.
After Cars 2 I'm not confident Lasseter's involvement is even a good thing. I wasnt crazy about the first cars, but I tolerated it, its was a good movie, but I was ready to move on as soon as it was over. Cars 2 was already taking it too far. For the first time I couldn't bring myself to finish the commentary. Planes, in theaters without Pixar as a whole working on it? Forget about it. I was slightly more interested in this as a Disney channel only thing, at least I could give it the same compliments I gave Prep and Landing, that it was pretty good for being on tv. But bringing this to theaters raises the bar higher than I think they can deliver. Sure, they did this with Toy Story 2 in a way, but that also wasn't coming off a mediocre sequel.

Even if they manage to come up with an engaging story and characters, I still have the same issues with the whole cars universe that cannot be fixed at this point, the fact that these are machines built by humans to transport humans, yet humans don't exist in this world. It only gets more apparent to me the more we see of this universe.