Best DVD Scratch Repair

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

dvdjunkie wrote:Note to Lazario:

Blu-ray players are priced from below $100 and go up from there. Depends on what bells and whistles you want. And they can be hooked up to any television, and you can see a difference. Even your standard DVD's will look amazing on a standard television.
Yeah, I've heard that before but I didn't put 2 + 2 together. Of course, I'll be lucky if I have a hundred dollars to spend on anything other than bills for the next few decades.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Lazario wrote:
Maerj wrote:Best DVD scratch repair: Bluray!

Sorry, I had to...

If they can make those scratch reisistant, why can't you buy a spray that would do that with DVDs as well?
Libraries are supposed to have something like that to repair their own discs from being scratched and etc.

As for Blu-Ray, again the having to buy a special brand new TV and player is a big catch22 for those of us who have NO MONEY and a too large collection of standard discs that aren't going to magically replace / upgrade themselves.

Sorry, I had to.
Just to let you know, I was just kidding there. I upgraded to Blu and haven't replaced all of my DVDs, but I buy more Blurays than DVD. Both exist side by side on my shelf.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Well, that all (only buying Blu-Rays now) depends on how many new movies you buy. If you went through my collection, the ratio of movies made from 2000-2012 as opposed to films to come before would be like putting Nicole Ritchie on one side of a teeter totter and Ralphie May on the other. What company is really going to splurge on Blu-Rays for the untold numbers of B-movies that are cult classics from the 70's and 80's?

And I see how you were kidding now. And you have a good point. If it weren't for that pesky economic crisis- I think everyone could be more optimistic about Blu-Ray.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

When or if you do go Blu, make sure you get a good player. Do not go for the Wal-Mart cheapies. I had one of those and it locked up on discs and took a long time to load. I got a Sony 3D player now and the quality is pretty good. It loads a lot faster, instantly in most cases. Animation looks the best on Bluray, IMHO. But there are a lot of other films I am sure you will enjoy. The Evil Dead films never looked as good as they do on Bluray. The first time I saw the first Evil Dead was on a crappy rental VHS tape and there was static during the entire movie. Anyway, hopefully you'll be able to find a good deal on one sometime, I think you will really love it.
Spottedfeather
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Spottedfeather »

Something you could try, though not very often on the same disc, is Brasso. Dab a little bit on a clean, preferably smooth, cloth and very lighty wipe it over the scratches. Take care to keep the Brasso as close to the scratched area as you can, as this process removes a light layer of plastic. Let the disc sit for at least 15 minutes so the polish can dry. After the 15 minutes, take a clean part of the cloth (or a different cloth entirely) and VERY gently, from the inside out and with a slight pressure, wipe the Brasso off. Make sure to get all the polish off. Try the disc. You can do this again if it doesn't work. But since it removes a very light layer of the disc, you shouldn't do it more than two or three times. It's been a while since I've done it, but as I recall, it's worked on every disc I've tried it on.

This is exactly why I love blu-ray so much. Much harder to scratch.
Think about this. Once bread becomes toast, you can't make it back into bread.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Spottedfeather wrote:Something you could try, though not very often on the same disc, is Brasso. Dab a little bit on a clean, preferably smooth, cloth and very lighty wipe it over the scratches. Take care to keep the Brasso as close to the scratched area as you can, as this process removes a light layer of plastic. Let the disc sit for at least 15 minutes so the polish can dry. After the 15 minutes, take a clean part of the cloth (or a different cloth entirely) and VERY gently, from the inside out and with a slight pressure, wipe the Brasso off. Make sure to get all the polish off. Try the disc. You can do this again if it doesn't work. But since it removes a very light layer of the disc, you shouldn't do it more than two or three times. It's been a while since I've done it, but as I recall, it's worked on every disc I've tried it on.

This is exactly why I love blu-ray so much. Much harder to scratch.
I tried that Brasso on a dvd and it just scratched it up even more. :( Just be careful if you use it and don't overuse it like I did.
Spottedfeather
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Spottedfeather »

Lazario wrote:
Maerj wrote:Best DVD scratch repair: Bluray!

Sorry, I had to...

If they can make those scratch reisistant, why can't you buy a spray that would do that with DVDs as well?
Libraries are supposed to have something like that to repair their own discs from being scratched and etc.

As for Blu-Ray, again the having to buy a special brand new TV and player is a big catch22 for those of us who have NO MONEY and a too large collection of standard discs that aren't going to magically replace / upgrade themselves.

Sorry, I had to.
A new player, sure. But you don't have to get a new tv. Even on a SD tv, you can tell the difference.
Spottedfeather
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Spottedfeather »

Maerj wrote:When or if you do go Blu, make sure you get a good player. Do not go for the Wal-Mart cheapies. I had one of those and it locked up on discs and took a long time to load. I got a Sony 3D player now and the quality is pretty good. It loads a lot faster, instantly in most cases. Animation looks the best on Bluray, IMHO. But there are a lot of other films I am sure you will enjoy. The Evil Dead films never looked as good as they do on Bluray. The first time I saw the first Evil Dead was on a crappy rental VHS tape and there was static during the entire movie. Anyway, hopefully you'll be able to find a good deal on one sometime, I think you will really love it.
I don't mind the Walmart cheapies. We have two players. Mine was 298 dollars and my mom got one that was 79 dollars. With the exception of my mom's player not being able to play the Disneyview painted sidebars, it appears to play everything.