Sammy the Way-Out Seal DVD coming to DMC!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
disneyrecordfan

Sammy the Way-Out Seal DVD coming to DMC!

Post by disneyrecordfan »

I just opened my new monthly flyer from the DMC, and in addition to it promoting the new "Horse with the Flying Tail" and "Double Switch" DVDs, it also lists a great classic, "Sammy the Way-Out Seal"!!!

It's #1093580/Full Screen in the DMC's inventory list. It doesn't give any other details besides the plot synopsis. It's probably too much to wish for Walt intros to be included as bonus features, and it's likely the old VHS transfer, but I think it's great news that a long-coveted, Walt-era title is coming to DVD!

Maybe this means there's hope for "Escapade in Florence," "The Horsemasters," "The Magnificent Rebel," and others from those really excellent early days of Walt's "Wonderful World of Color."

Because the sales flyers/DMC packets are arriving in the mail, I'm assuming this will go live on the DMC website on Tuesday, 3/6. As of today, I couldn't see the three new titles in the exclusives section on the website.

Happy news!
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

Yes!!!! Thank you for the news, and thank you to Disney.
jrboy
Anniversary Edition

Post by jrboy »

ImageImageImage

Looks like I'll be buying a third title this tuesday. :D
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

"Sammy" is one of my most-wanted Walt titles!!! It has some of the funniest slapstick animal-comedy scenes (Seal and dogs run rampant in a supermarket!) and Billy Mumy is a hoot as always.

Yay! Thanks for making my day - - and thanks DMC for making it available. I hope the print/master is as good as it should be.
bugsplat9999
Limited Issue

Post by bugsplat9999 »

There seems to be a pattern of releasing films on streaming video and then later releasing them on DVD. Sammy has been out at Amazon Unbox for some time.

BTW, The Magnificient Rebel has a PAL release... I have purchaased it so I know it exists...

Take care
Chris
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

Sammy is a great, great choice -- now still hoping for Prince and the Pauper, Horsemasters, Escapade in Florence, Sign of Zorro and Light in the Forest, among others.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

merlinjones wrote:Sammy is a great, great choice -- now still hoping for Prince and the Pauper, Horsemasters, Escapade in Florence, Sign of Zorro and Light in the Forest, among others.
See? Good things are coming! :D
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Darby
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Darby »

milojthatch wrote:See? Good things are coming! :D
Thank you again, milothatch, for your advocacy!

This is very encouraging news. I don't think I'm going to buy Double Switch, but Sammy the Way-Out Seal and The Horse with the Flying Tail are definite purchases for me.

Bring on The Prince and the Pauper and the full version of the The Light in the Forest as DMC Exclusives!

Darby
WilbyDaniels
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WilbyDaniels »

I do hope they include Walt's intros, then I'll buy them. He always added that magic touch! If anyone would share that info,when you get them I really would appreciate it! Thank you
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Apparently, the three new DMC additions won't be available to own until April 17th.....
Available to own 4/17/12.

Two brothers, Arthur and Petey, find an injured seal and nurse it back to health, then hide it away in their room. But when Sammy the Seal escapes, it attracts the attention of a greedy land developer who decides to turn the poor animal into a moneymaking, sideshow attraction. The brothers are now forced to make a decision that will change their lives and Sammy's forever.

This 1960 Oscar®-winning documentary tells the story of a brave palomino’s journey from New Mexico’s wide open ranges to Germany’s Royal International Horse Show. After being trained to round up cattle, the horse’s talent for jumping comes to the attention of the U.S. Equestrian Team. Retrained for competition, the palomino’s love for his newfound sport shows with each distinctive flick of the tail!

Quiet, geeky Matt Bundy dreams of being a rock star - while Bartholomew, a loud, brash teen idol, dreams of being just a normal kid. When the two discover they look exactly alike, they decide to switch lives. This rock-n-roll twist on learning what it is like to walk in another person’s shoes is brimming with great music, romance and a double dose of laughs!
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

I think something went wrong or got mixed up in the production of these dvd's, and Disney cannot deliver as planned right now. I cannot find mention of this April 17 release date in the paper mailer announcing these Exclusives, and the website has it in rather small writing only when you click on the titles for more information. There is no heading saying "coming soon" or "now available for pre-order." There is no precedent for the way these are being offered but not available, so I'm sure something didn't go according to plans.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

gardener14 wrote:I think something went wrong or got mixed up in the production of these dvd's, and Disney cannot deliver as planned right now. I cannot find mention of this April 17 release date in the paper mailer announcing these Exclusives, and the website has it in rather small writing only when you click on the titles for more information. There is no heading saying "coming soon" or "now available for pre-order." There is no precedent for the way these are being offered but not available, so I'm sure something didn't go according to plans.
I think the DMC is a very confusing place many times. I can clearly see (and order right now) these new titles when I go onto the web site. I have however, not received a mailer yet. If it wasn't for the fact I just ordered a rather pricey Blu-ray set (Star Trek, Season One, my other great love), I'd order some of these new titles right now.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
bugsplat9999
Limited Issue

Post by bugsplat9999 »

The snail mail edition of DMC has the ads for Salty, Double & Horse...

Saw it yesterday... guess they were holding out for the mailer so go out...

Chris
msh1975
Gold Classic Collection

Post by msh1975 »

well got the email yesterday the 13th of april that all 3 dmc exclusives have been shipped :) guess they decided to ship them out a few days early instead of waiting til the 17th of april......im all for it :)
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

Yay! Let us know how they look when you get 'em.
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

So how does Sammy look -- anybody get theirs yet?
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

It is very grainy. It is the same print as the commercially released VHS from the 1980s. Strangely, though, the DVD does not have the Buena Vista title card or music.

It is the European theatrical cut of the film. It's nice to have on DVD, but would have appreciated restored anthology episode versons (a la Atta Girl, Kelly!).
"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible"
- Walt Disney

bugsplat9999
Limited Issue

Post by bugsplat9999 »

I'm very happy with my copy of Sammy. It is interlaced and looks as though it is mastered from the same as VHS or TV master. It is not enhanced, nor is it remastered. However, after dealing with the VHS, the Amazon Unbox and Internet copies, this one is far better than what I have seen.

BTW, I don't think we should expect Disney to remaster any of these DMC exclusives... I think they are doing very well in bringing out these gereat classics. My guess is that you will see many of these that have come out on VHS...

Disney released a ton of these films in Japan, UK and other non-US locations. They have a wealth to pull from.

CJ
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

bugsplat9999 wrote:
BTW, I don't think we should expect Disney to remaster any of these DMC exclusives...
I'm sad to say this, but that is a very good idea. At this point, with these "vintage" titles, we get what we get from each of them. I wish it was not the case, but it is what it is.

-Walt Disney