American Idol Season 11

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Jay
Anniversary Edition

American Idol Season 11

Post by Jay »

Anyone watching season 11 of Idol?? The top 24 was formed last week and they go live this week. Anyone have favorites yet?
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I am very curious who the 25th contestant will be. At the end of last week's show they said that a 13th guy would be added, and I am anxious to see who makes it.

Don't know all the names yet, but I do have a couple of favorites, actually two girls and two guys.

When it gets down to the Top Ten, I will have the names down, and I will be ranting on who is better than who.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

The 13 guys performed last night and really rocked the house. It is going to be sad to lose any of them, much less six of them Thursday night. Hope everyone watched and voted for their favorites.

Tonight the girls get their shot at fame and fortune. When the dust all clears Thursday evening we will have our Top 13 to truly find out who the next American Idol will be.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

The girls took the stage last night, and I actually think we might have a female American Idol this year.

To the letter, the girls outperformed the guys, and it is going to be interesting to see who goes home tonight in the special 2-hour expanded version of the Results show.

This year looks to have some of the better talent, and I am really sold on the returning judges, Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler, along with Randy Jackson.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

After last night's Results Show, I am a very happy camper and will be watching this season, through thick and thin, because I think for the first time in five years we will have a female American Idol.

Last night they eliminated twelve contestants by letting the five guys and five girls who received the most votes to go through to the Top Ten, and then the judges picked six 'wild cards' from those remaining 15. Out of the six, two girls and one guy got the pass through to now make up the Top 13 of American Idol 2012.

Next week, the guys celebrate the music of Stevie Wonder, while the girls honor the music of Whitney Houston. Should be a really great show with Jimmy Iovine back as one of the coaches.
AliceinWonderland
Gold Classic Collection

Post by AliceinWonderland »

No one really stands out for me this year except Phillip Phillips and Skylar Laine. I hope they go back to the format of themed week that challenge the contestants.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Like I said in my post - this next week is Stevie Wonder for the Guys and the music of the late Whitney Houston for the girls, and Jimmy Iovine will be along to help with the coaching again this year.

They will have defibnite themed weeks in the weeks ahead, you can count on it.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I probably should be tuning in because someone from my hometown (Eben) is on the show. I don't actually know who he is (I graduated two years ago), but from the 30 seconds I saw of his cover of Set Fire to the Rain, I wonder how in the world he even got on to the next round. To me, he wasn't really that great and I'm surprised he even got passed the audition round. I haven't watched the show in years and I don't really care about it, but I thought that having someone from my hometown would want me to watch it. I'm not impressed, though.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

I like all the girls this year except for Shannon, I find her pagenty and dull. The guys don't really do anything for me Joshua has a good voice and Phil is ok but aside from that meh. I think Jermaine or Jeremy will get the axe first. Atleast I hope the first couple to go are guys because I think we have a really strong batch of girls this year. We'll see though...
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I think this will be the year of the female American Idol. I can't believe that it has been five years since we had a girl Idol.

The guys are okay, but just in general the run of the mill, no one stands out as a Top Four Finalist.

Whereas, everyone of the girls, except for Shannon, have the potential to get to the Final Four. I just hope we get it right this year.

Don't forget to vote each week, with all the choices in ways to vote, every one is going to count, big time.

This Wednesday's show will really be good, Mary J. Blige is the mentor for the girls who will be signing Whitney Houston songs. The guys have to sing songs from the catalog of Stevie Wonder.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Last night it was the Girls against the Guys in the opening night of the Top 13 on American Idol. In my opinion, I think the Girls out-powered the boys by a long margin and I truly think this will be the year of the female American Idol.

Jimmy Iovine and Mary J. Blige were the coaches this week as the Guys chose songs from the Stevie Wonder songbook, and the Girls chose from the long list of songs left behind by the late Whitney Houston.

Joshua Ledet opened the show with a powerhouse version of "I Wish" and was rewarded with great reviews from the judges.

Elise Testone performed "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight" and had a pretty rough going according to the judges. They felt that it was the wrong song choice.

Jermaine Jones, the "gentle giant", put his touch on Stevie Wonder's "Knock Me Off My Feet", and judges felt that he got lost in the melody but came through it good enough to be here for another week.

Erika Van Pelt brought out her best voice with Houston's "I Believe In You & Me" and brought the audience to their feet.

Colton Dixon took "Lately" and truly made it his own song and was commended by the judges for doing so.

Shannon Magrane might have made her last performance last night, as she forgot how she was supposed to sing "I Have Nothing" the way that Mary J. and Jimmy talked to her about.

Deandre Brackensick showed us why he belongs on the show with a blistering version of "Master Blaster" and the judges loved it from start to finish.

Skylar Laine, our little country girl who didn't know who Whitney Houston was, took one of the biggest steps of the night when she challenged herself with "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" and was given a standing ovation by the judges and the audience and told that it was 'the performance of the night', and I think it was also.

Heejun Han showed why he was in the Top 13 with his mellow rendering of "All In Love Is Fair".

Hollie Cavanaugh picked "All The Man I Need" and made it her own and was rewarded by a standing ovation from the judges as well as the audience.

Jeremy Rosado chose "Ribbon in the Sky" as his song, and let his nerves get to him and he might be on the bottom of the heap tonight on the results show. The judges couldn't say much in the way of encouragement.

Jessica Sanchez showed us why she is one to watch in this year's competition when she took on the biggest hit of Whitney Houston - "I Will Always Love You" - and knocked it out of the park. I think if the judges said that Skylar Laine raised the bar then Jessica jumped over it. I think it was the Best Female Performance in the last three years.

Phillip Phillips closed the show with an uptempo version of "Superstition" that rocked the house from the ceiling to the floor. Randy commended him on taking the song and making it his own and loved his 'scat-singing'.

Tonight is the results show and when the bottom vote getter in the guys and the girls is revealed, they will let the judges decide who goes home and who stays.

Mary J. Blige is also scheduled to perform.

Okay here goes my choice for who is going home. I have two picks for the guys, there is only one for the girls - for the guys I think that either Jeremy Rosado or Colton Dixon will be bottom vote getter and for the girls I think that Shannon Magrane may have sung her way out of the competition. Who goes home, I think the judges will send Jeremy packing. It all happens tonight at 8 pm Eastern 7 Central on Fox.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

The girls are a lot better than the guys this year. I really think we will have a girl win this year.

Jessica was excellent, and my favorite of the night. I think Shannon is in trouble after that performance, and might end up going home.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

My wife said that since they are picking one guy and one girl and then letting the judges decide who goes home that it will be a guy because there are currently seven guys and six girls, and that would even things up.

I don't particularly go along with that thinking, but the two lowest girls in my eyes last night were Elise Testone and Shannon Magrane.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

dvdjunkie wrote:My wife said that since they are picking one guy and one girl and then letting the judges decide who goes home that it will be a guy because there are currently seven guys and six girls, and that would even things up.

I don't particularly go along with that thinking, but the two lowest girls in my eyes last night were Elise Testone and Shannon Magrane.
I thought the same thing watching the results. Not sure if that's the way it played out, but I had a feeling they wanted to even it up with 6 guys and 6 girls.

Didn't really agree with the results. Jeremy didn't do great, but there were others that did worse.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I agree totally. There were six people who made up the bottom three guys and gals, and I think that they should have sent Shannon Magrane home and given Jeremy another week.

Oh well, that's what Idol is about. I am really pleased with the talent they have this year, and as the numbers come down - Top 10, Top Five, Final Four, it is going to really be hard to predict who stays and who goes, that is why I make sure I vote each week for my favorites. As long as I vote, I can disagree with their choice, should the wrong one go home.

I think that we are going to have a female American Idol, hands down this year.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

People said the same thing the past two years, first with Crystal Bowersox and then with Pia Toscano. However, I do think it’s possible a girl will win this year. I feel like the show is being somewhat rigged this year so the judges can make sure a girl will finally stand a chance again.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I feel like the show is being somewhat rigged
Why would you even say that. Last night was the only night the judges have the say-so on who stays and who goes home. Why does everything have to be rigged? This isn't the WWE which is fake from the first 'W'. This is American Idol and it is watched over very carefully.

Why just say that the girls brought it all to the stage Wednesday, and the guys just couldn't keep up.

Bowersox and Toscano couldn't hold a candle to any of these girls this year. Besides that, where are they now? Watch out this year for Jessica Sanchez, I think we have the pleasure of watching the American Idol grow right in front of us. She raised the bar for the other girls in the competition Wednesday evening.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Last night's show got off with an "arresting development" as it was revealed that one of the contestants in this years Top 12 had outstanding warrants for their arrest. But, as Ryan Seacrest said, "we will fill you in on the details later in the show, because This IS American Idol"!!

So we are off to the races last night as the contestants had to choose a song from the year they were born, and it made for a really good show with a lot of strange choices of song, according to the judges.

Phillip Phillips (1990) got the night of with a rousing interpretation of the Georgia Satellites version of "Hard to Handle". Judges unanimously gave him props for even being on the stage, as he had surgery five days ago for kidney stones.

Jessica Sanchez (1995) tried to show off a different side of her talent as she sang Gloria Estefan's "Turn The Beat Around", but the judges were very critical of her not doing a ballad with her strong voice.

HeeJun Han (1989) used his wonderful tone on Richard Marx's "Right Here Waiting For You", but the judges unanimously said that it was the wrong song choice, and that he got 'lost' in the song.

Elise Testone (1983) redeemed herself from last week's performance as she sang Al Green's "Let's Stay Together" and put her own touches on this soulful ballad. Judges all agreed it was a better performance than the previous week.

DeAndre Brackensick (1994) took on the duet version of "Endless Love" by Lionel Richie and Diana Ross and brought the house to a full standing ovation. Steven Tyler told DeAndre he could sing the want ads and get that kind of response. Personally, I don't care for this young man. I don't think his voice is strong enough yet.

Shannon Magrane (1995) proved why she belongs in the competition with her rendition of "One Free Day" originally recorded by Maria Carey and BoysIIMen. The judges all said that she made leaps and bounds of improvement over last week's show and she should be through to the Top Ten.

Colton Dixon (1991) picked an unknown song called "Broken Heart" by White Lion to show off his vocal talents, but the judges weren't very kind to him, telling him he really took a chance this time.

Erika Van Pelt (1985) belted out her version of Bryan Adams' "Heaven", and was promptly told by the judges that she chose the wrong song for her talents. They said the arrangement was soft and that she could have picked a better song.

Skylar Laine (1994) got a standing ovation for her version of Bonnie Raitt's "What's Sneaking Up On You". The judges commended her for her stage presence and for making the song her own.

Joshua Ledet (1992) gave the "best performance" of the night with his song choice of "When A Man Love's A Woman" by Michael Bolton. He was commended by both Jimmy Iovine and Will.I.Am for choosing the right song to use his large voice. All three judges agreed in total and said that he was the one to watch of the guys.

Hollie Cavanaugh (1993) closed the show, bringing the audience and the judges to their feet with Celine Dion's "Power of Love". Randy Jackson was bowled over by "the little girl with the great big voice", and the other judges agreed.

As you can see there is one very big contestant's name missing from the performance list. It was revealed that through contacts with law enforcement that Jermaine Jones could no longer participate in the program. A scene of a the white police SUV driving away was very moving.

Tonight's bottom two will be, in my opinion, Colton Dixon & HeeJun Han. We will then have our Top Ten touring show for 2012.

On the results show we will get to see Chris Daughtry in a performance and the Top Ten will be revealed.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

I know Ryan said they would still vote someone off tonight, but I have a odd feeling that they want. I think they will get to the bottom 2 and say your both safe. Then combine this weeks votes with next weeks and vote off one to make the top 10.

If someone leaves tonight I think HeeJun is voted off. Other than 1 or 2 performances it was a weak night last night.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

She sang her butt off last night and tonight was sent home. Shannon Magrane will not be on the tour this year. So sad.

They will extend the show a week down the road when the judges save a person from being cut. That's what I think, and that's what they did last year.

It's still the girls year on 'Idol'. Could be Hollie Cavanaugh or Jessica Sanchez.