I got accepted into the Disney College Program!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
nachonaco
Special Edition

I got accepted into the Disney College Program!

Post by nachonaco »

W00T!

I am absolutely over the moon.

My housing deposit is due in 10 days, does anyone know if I can pay for it with my credit card?
Man has a dream
And that's the start
He follows his dream
With mind and heart
And when it becomes a reality
It's a dream come true
For you and me!
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Congrats!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Disney Villain
Special Edition

Post by Disney Villain »

Congratulations! I've done 2 College Programs at Walt Disney World. It truly is a life changing experience. You have no idea what you're getting yourself into, but I promise you, it is worth every second! If you have any questions just ask, I'd be more than happy to help! :)
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Proud of you! :)
nachonaco
Special Edition

Post by nachonaco »

@DV: They mentioned a 'minimal fee'. How much is it, as I plan to use my credit card to pay the money?

(As I don't have the money right now but will in the coming weeks).

What are the safe places in Orlando to go to?

I'm not bringing my car down there, will that be a problem?
Man has a dream
And that's the start
He follows his dream
With mind and heart
It's a dream come true
For you and me!
Disney Villain
Special Edition

Post by Disney Villain »

You'll have to check on the web-site. They change the fee each program. The fee for my first program was $100. I actually just finished my most recent program in January. I started it last May and my fee was $300. So it all depends. They do it differently each program.

Having a car there is definitely going to make life easier, but it's not necessary as they provide transportation, via buses, to and from work, the parks and local areas. I've always had a car there, I've never taken any Disney cp bus, so I can't give you first hand experience.

Orlando is FULL of amazing places. You'll end up making a ton of friends and you'll be going out a lot...I promise you. Don't worry, everything is safe and it will all fall into place.
nachonaco
Special Edition

Post by nachonaco »

Disney Villain wrote:You'll have to check on the web-site. They change the fee each program. The fee for my first program was $100. I actually just finished my most recent program in January. I started it last May and my fee was $300. So it all depends. They do it differently each program.

Having a car there is definitely going to make life easier, but it's not necessary as they provide transportation, via buses, to and from work, the parks and local areas. I've always had a car there, I've never taken any Disney cp bus, so I can't give you first hand experience.

Orlando is FULL of amazing places. You'll end up making a ton of friends and you'll be going out a lot...I promise you. Don't worry, everything is safe and it will all fall into place.
Yeah, my housing fee is $200 and the other is $100.

Do you guys know if there will be problems getting my prescriptions transferred from the Target here in Indiana to one in Orlando?
Man has a dream
And that's the start
He follows his dream
With mind and heart
It's a dream come true
For you and me!
Disney Villain
Special Edition

Post by Disney Villain »

nachonaco wrote:Yeah, my housing fee is $200 and the other is $100.

Do you guys know if there will be problems getting my prescriptions transferred from the Target here in Indiana to one in Orlando?
Yea, mine was the same price for my most recent program.

It shouldn't be an issue, but the closest Target to where Disney will be housing you is a bit far; about 6 more minutes away from the local Wal-Mart. The Disney buses will not take you to Target. They have Wal-Mart buses every day, but not to Target. So you'll have to find someone to take you there. You'll be making a lot of friends and meeting a lot of people with cars, lol.
nachonaco
Special Edition

Post by nachonaco »

Will I be in Celebration or Orlando proper?

I am super excited.

I got the email when I was in Krispy Kreme and I started squeeing and jumping up and down.
Man has a dream
And that's the start
He follows his dream
With mind and heart
It's a dream come true
For you and me!
Disney Villain
Special Edition

Post by Disney Villain »

nachonaco wrote:Will I be in Celebration or Orlando proper?

I am super excited.

I got the email when I was in Krispy Kreme and I started squeeing and jumping up and down.
You'll be about 15-20mins away from Celebration. You'll be housed in a place called 'Little Lake Bryan' in one of the three townhouse developments; Patterson Court, Chatham Square or Vista Way which is across the road from Little Lake Bryan. You are right by Downtown Disney.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

I have not done the College Program. I haven't even been to a Disney theme park period, but I can assure you based on the testimony of friends that have done the College Program (Disney Villain included) that it will indeed be an experience. The one thing I would recommend is to not always believe what people say about the program. Prior to knowing about it all I knew was that it was a program where "hot, horny teens got together and threw messy parties" and such. I am sure these things did happen, but from everything I have seen and read the College Program can also be the type of experience where you will make meaningful friends and walk away with a lot of knowledge.

Life is what you make of it, and now you have been given the opportunity enjoy it as much as possible while being safe and conscious about it ;)
ImageImageImageImage

Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

Congratulations. Image
nachonaco
Special Edition

Post by nachonaco »

Also, if I want to go to the parks just for fun, will I have to pay or do I get in free or what?

Are all my fees due in 9 days or just the $200 for housing?
Man has a dream
And that's the start
He follows his dream
With mind and heart
It's a dream come true
For you and me!
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

I did the College Program a year and half ago and have been a seasonal Cast Member since. As you've heard plenty of times, it really is a life changing experience - BUT - that's only if you let it be. There are too many people that don't let themselves really buy into the "magic", or think it's lame, or whatever... and they end up having a horrible experience and hate going into work.

Trust me, whatever job you get won't be the greatest thing in the world. You are on the bottom of the totem pole, and full time employees in some areas look heavily down on CPs. It gets repetitive, guests can be a HUGE pain, and hours can definitely get to you. DON'T LET IT RUIN YOUR EXPERIENCE.

Always remember to keep your eye on the bigger picture - the fact that you are now a Walt Disney World Cast Member, and that there really is no greater opportunity in the world. If you let yourself, you'll have the time of your life. Can't wait to hear about your experiences!

Also to answer your question - you get in all the parks (except water parks for 3/4 of the year) for free. You get a certain number of passes for friends or family who aren't Cast Members.
Heil Donald Duck
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heil Donald Duck »

I will be surprised if they don't teach you it all started with a Mouse.
Der Fuehrer's Face is the greatest Donald Duck cartoon ever made.
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

Wow...congrats!

I was at WDW for the first time last October and I just thought it would be so cool to work there, in a store or walk around all day dressed as a character...

But I'm guessing they won't hire people from Holland?
Would love to do it, for like a couple of months or so.

Anyhoo...please keep us posted on your adventures and how it all goes for you...
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Khonnor - they do indeed hire from all over the world. The program you need to look for is the International College Program.

https://www.disneyinternationalprograms.com/

In the time I've been here I've worked with people from literally all over the world. Canada, Mexico, Europe, Russia, Japan, China, Australia, India... the list goes on.
tweeb²
Limited Issue

Post by tweeb² »

Congratulations! BTW are you, THAT nachonaco from the now defunct Alternate Reality Association forums with Kim Possible? If so, you'll remember me haha! I had josepans as a nickname back then.
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

SWillie! wrote:Khonnor - they do indeed hire from all over the world. The program you need to look for is the International College Program.

https://www.disneyinternationalprograms.com/

In the time I've been here I've worked with people from literally all over the world. Canada, Mexico, Europe, Russia, Japan, China, Australia, India... the list goes on.
Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to look into for later this year!
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Yay, congrats, nachonaco!!! I'm so happy for you!

I worked at WDW 8 years ago, though not in the College Program, and it definitely is a unique experience that you'll never forget! I hope you have a blast!