Disney’s long-range plans for Mickey Mouse?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Disney’s long-range plans for Mickey Mouse?

Post by TsWade2 »

Hi y'all,

Before you guys go any further, I'm not obsessing about you know what, I just found this article from Jim Hill Media about making long range for Mickey Mouse, but won't include shorts.

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief ... x#comments

Although, the Disney spokesperson says that planning to create new classic shorts starring Mickey and friends has been put on hold. I just hope DIsney knows what there doing, becuase sometimes Micikey Mouse Clubhouse is not what we wante.....oops, I didn't again. But what do you guys think?
kylemj
Limited Issue

Post by kylemj »

good news. The last proper short was 1995 and think it was nominated for few awards too so heres hoping to good writers
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

I won't mind if we don't get new Mickey shorts as long as there is an Epic Mickey 2; the original Epic Mickey is one of the best things Disney has made in years.
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

Still hasn't been much of the adventurous Mickey coming back aside from the video games in the year and a half since this article. I think they should just embrace Mickey's comic history and start adapting stuff like that be it for that theatrical project or television or direct to video stuff.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Dr Frankenollie wrote:I won't mind if we don't get new Mickey shorts as long as there is an Epic Mickey 2; the original Epic Mickey is one of the best things Disney has made in years.
That's true. :)
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

I have to point out that this article is from a year and a half ago. God only knows where things have gone at WDAS in the shorts department since then.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

This was an older article, but a year and a half later, it's much of the same info we face today. I'm mostly not a fan of how the company has handled the Mouse or what their long term plans are. If anything, I feel they are "playing it safe" by not coming up with new shorts.

The best and only great thing they have done with Mickey in the last few years in the Wii game, "Epic Mickey." I stand by many here when I say they need to do more with that. I'm not just talking another game, but bring that version of the character to tv or even better, the movies. How cool would an "Epic Mickey" film be?

As for "Clubhouse," it is to Mickey what Elmo is to "Sesame Street." It has taken Mickey from Corporate Logo status to 1-4 year old fan icon status. I'm not going to say winning that age group isn't a good thing, but Mickey needs to appeal to the masses, from new born babies to 99 year-olds. Putting more stock into this early childhood show then other avenues isn't the way to do that. Plus, CG Mickey make me want to vomit.

As of this "Have-a-Laugh" thing,w hat an insult! Forget purist for a moment, these shorts are saying that modern Disney Chanel audiences are to restricted by things like ADHD to invest in a more story appropriate 6 to 7 minute cartoon. Plus, they just come off as lazy. Instead of taking the time to craft new stories, even at 3 to 4 minutes, they just hack the death out of shorts that much more creative minds came up with years ago and feed that to the masses. Not cool, and it tarnishes both Mickey and Disney.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
sweetcake

Post by sweetcake »

kylemj wrote:good news. The last proper short was 1995 and think it was nominated for few awards too so heres hoping to good writers
That was Runaway Brain right ?

That short was pretty clever. I loved the Mortal Kombat Snow White style game Mickey was playing, and Mickey looking at a old Steamboat Willie photo and saying " Ohh that's old " ! (=

I hated the Mad Doctor short it was based off from so it was shocking for me when I actually ended up enjoying Runaway Brain.

But yes, whatever they did for Brain they should do it again.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

milojthatch wrote:The best and only great thing they have done with Mickey in the last few years in the Wii game, "Epic Mickey." I stand by many here when I say they need to do more with that. I'm not just talking another game, but bring that version of the character to tv or even better, the movies. How cool would an "Epic Mickey" film be.
Even though not everyone here is a Kingdom Hearts fan, the series has been popular and I've always felt it has helped to change the younger generation's perception of the character somewhat because he's an extremely powerful, heroic character in the series (conversely, I think they've hurt Maleficent's popularity just a little). I have to admit that I never took Mickey, the character, very seriously until the series, tbh.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
milojthatch wrote:The best and only great thing they have done with Mickey in the last few years in the Wii game, "Epic Mickey." I stand by many here when I say they need to do more with that. I'm not just talking another game, but bring that version of the character to tv or even better, the movies. How cool would an "Epic Mickey" film be.
Even though not everyone here is a Kingdom Hearts fan, the series has been popular and I've always felt it has helped to change the younger generation's perception of the character somewhat because he's an extremely powerful, heroic character in the series (conversely, I think they've hurt Maleficent's popularity just a little). I have to admit that I never took Mickey, the character, very seriously until the series, tbh.
I'm a Kingdom Hearts fan! :D
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

milojthatch wrote:This was an older article, but a year and a half later, it's much of the same info we face today. I'm mostly not a fan of how the company has handled the Mouse or what their long term plans are. If anything, I feel they are "playing it safe" by not coming up with new shorts.

The best and only great thing they have done with Mickey in the last few years in the Wii game, "Epic Mickey." I stand by many here when I say they need to do more with that. I'm not just talking another game, but bring that version of the character to tv or even better, the movies. How cool would an "Epic Mickey" film be?

As for "Clubhouse," it is to Mickey what Elmo is to "Sesame Street." It has taken Mickey from Corporate Logo status to 1-4 year old fan icon status. I'm not going to say winning that age group isn't a good thing, but Mickey needs to appeal to the masses, from new born babies to 99 year-olds. Putting more stock into this early childhood show then other avenues isn't the way to do that. Plus, CG Mickey make me want to vomit.

As of this "Have-a-Laugh" thing,w hat an insult! Forget purist for a moment, these shorts are saying that modern Disney Chanel audiences are to restricted by things like ADHD to invest in a more story appropriate 6 to 7 minute cartoon. Plus, they just come off as lazy. Instead of taking the time to craft new stories, even at 3 to 4 minutes, they just hack the death out of shorts that much more creative minds came up with years ago and feed that to the masses. Not cool, and it tarnishes both Mickey and Disney.
I know what you mean. It's okay that they're not doing new classic shorts right now, they just need (Yes I'm going to say it, i'm sorry) to make a new hand drawn series of Mickey Mouse and friends. Mickey Mouse is not for preschoolers. He's for everybody. I mean, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is a cute show, but come on Disney! Stop being a pansy. I wrote a letter to Disney about this, but they didn't send me back and they're making me suffer of my anxiety. Why can't Mickey Mouse Clubhouse end their run already? Oh wait, don't tell me, it's because those meddling preschoolers! :evil:
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: Disney’s long-range plans for Mickey Mouse?

Post by UmbrellaFish »

There’s a new line of cookware from Disney featuring a new design for Mickey and Friends. https://wdwnt.com/2020/08/photos-new-mo ... ney-world/

I don’t really like it at all. What sort of style would you say this is inspired by? I don’t like that it trades out a lot of the iconic shapes associated with the characters for new ones. The shape of their eyes, hands, feet, the noses of the mice... it’s all different. Mickey doesn’t really look like himself with dots for eyes.

Ooh disclaimer: I know I posted this in “Disney long terms plans for MM” but I don’t think there’s any indication this is a makeover or a major new look for the characters ala the Princesses’ redesigns and the Rudish shorts. Just a new product line that may or may not have a short lifespan.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Wow, those designs are ugly. They kind of remind of Tom Oreb's designs but worse.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I kind of like it, for a merch line, anyway. It reminds me of when they've done more "glamorous" designs for Minnie for specific product lines:

https://www.livingly.com/Nails/articles ... Collection

https://www.distradingpins4u.com/Disney ... -90813.htm

https://www.distradingpins4u.com/Disney ... -90814.htm

They didn't totally redo Minnie's look forever, just for those specific product lines. If you go to wdwnt.com and search for "Mousewares," they have a whole collection, and I don't think the designs are too "out there." Just my opinion, and I totally get where you guys are coming from, because it's not their "proper" or "usual" design.
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

UmbrellaFish wrote:There’s a new line of cookware from Disney featuring a new design for Mickey and Friends. https://wdwnt.com/2020/08/photos-new-mo ... ney-world/

I don’t really like it at all. What sort of style would you say this is inspired by? I don’t like that it trades out a lot of the iconic shapes associated with the characters for new ones. The shape of their eyes, hands, feet, the noses of the mice... it’s all different. Mickey doesn’t really look like himself with dots for eyes.

Ooh disclaimer: I know I posted this in “Disney long terms plans for MM” but I don’t think there’s any indication this is a makeover or a major new look for the characters ala the Princesses’ redesigns and the Rudish shorts. Just a new product line that may or may not have a short lifespan.
Not so bad. To be honest I think the designs from Mickey Mouse shorts (2013) are uglier.
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

It's be nice to have a CGI origin film for Mickey which details where he came from, his family and relationships (first meeting Donald & Goofy), etc. That'd be a nice way to set off his character again.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Didnt we already get that on house of mouse?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I'm assuming this won't be a permanent change.

Minnie Mouse Is Ditching a Dress for a Pantsuit Designed by Stella McCartney
https://www.thewrap.com/minnie-mouse-pa ... mccartney/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeoSuperBlissey »

Sotiris wrote:I'm assuming this won't be a permanent change.

Minnie Mouse Is Ditching a Dress for a Pantsuit Designed by Stella McCartney
https://www.thewrap.com/minnie-mouse-pa ... mccartney/

Apparently the McCartney pantsuit is only for the Disneyland Paris 30th anniversary celebration and not for any other media.

Here's another article--this time from CNN--about it, along with an accompanying video report.

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/minni ... index.html
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think they could've come up with a pantsuit design that was much cuter than that. :/ I mean, she could've kept her heels and the red color, for example.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"